Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,579 members, 7,809,100 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:10 PM

How To Become A Pilot? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Become A Pilot? (62989 Views)

My Child Wants Me To Resign From The Bank To Become A Pilot / Will I Be Trained As A Pilot If I Join The Airforce With A Bsc In Psycology / Pilot Career (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Become A Pilot? by coriola: 1:55pm On Jun 18, 2010
Sly,

all this module will be created as the college grow and students demand, So if you like the helicopter to start sooner , just email the team at

info@internationalaviationcollege.com

Are you a pilot now?
Re: How To Become A Pilot? by slyboggie(m): 6:06pm On Jun 18, 2010
Ok den.

Yes i am.rotorcraft to b precise
Re: How To Become A Pilot? by garbigarba: 6:58pm On Jul 22, 2010
Wow! Am really impressed by what have come across on this thread,
I have always had a serious flair for flying, but as we all know what nigeria can do to one's dreams and aspirations,
Anyway, here I am, a student in my 300level studying surveying and geoinformatics engineering at the university of lagos, but my passion for flying and aviation generally has seized to wane,
So am wondering if anybody can be kind enough so as to direct me in the right path, I intend to complete my degree first or probably combine them if it is feasible, but I really really want to work as a commercial pilot,
I am so so in love with aviation,thanks in advance.
Re: How To Become A Pilot? by nnanna2: 11:25am On Aug 18, 2010
Pls can you pls explain more on how to get an airline to sponsor one that is just new in the system
Re: How To Become A Pilot? by PDexter: 9:45am On Aug 26, 2010
Hi Guys, thanks for keeping the flying dream alive

@Pilot 955

Thanks for your contributions, i'm also an Ex-boy who didn't quite make it to the Academy as a regular (NMS/95/3777). I have a BSc in Computer Science and a couple of pre PPL hours under my belt but havent flown since Dec 17 2009 due finances and other issues plus my SPL expires in march 2011. So here's my question what are the flying prospects for short service officers above 25yrs of age in the NAF (i'll be 25 in October). I never really liked the SS thing (u know now AKA or nothing) but judging by my current financial situation, it may be the best chance to continue my flying dream and learn acrobatics at the same time.

I heard there was a selection exercise in march 2010, any idea when the next intake would be
Re: How To Become A Pilot? by PDexter: 10:24am On Aug 26, 2010
@ sley4life

hope this isn't too late, what do u want 2 know about NCAT Zaria?
Re: How To Become A Pilot? by ruledworld: 3:44pm On Sep 02, 2010
The Cheapest Place to Learn Pilot Training is in the Philippines. There is one Aviation Company "WCC Aviation Company Inc, they even have their own Private Airfield where you will learn how to fly. They have their appointed Representative here in Nigeria "Amtec Links International" they are located in Kano.

The Cost of Training including Accommodation is around $36,000 (including all exams, books, and licenses up to CPL, Accommodation, Uniforms, etc.) You will only need to pay for your Air Ticket, and Food. The duration is between 8 to 10 months.

The School's website is: http://www.wccaviation.com

Their Representative's website is: http://www.amteclinks.com
Re: How To Become A Pilot? by garbigarba: 4:46pm On Sep 09, 2010
@p dexter , thanks but what i really want to know is what are the chances of one gaining entrance after Bsc completion,
and whats the cost going to be like plus any other useful information,
thanks again
Re: How To Become A Pilot? by mixture(m): 9:14pm On Sep 09, 2010
It is good and interesting to find such a thread.

Am seriously interested in being a pilot but the finance is the seeming obstacle.

I recently came across a flying school in Philippines through their agent here in Nigeria. 2 days ago to be precise. The guy told me of the school when I went to his office, their offer of admission and price. The price is about USD35,863.00 it is to be paid in 3 installments.

20% that is USD 7,172.60 for enrollment and Visa after getting the admission.

30% that is USD 10,758.90 upon arrival at the school

50% that is USD 17,931.75 in the 5th month of the training. The training is for 9months.

This fees covers, accommodation, materials and uniform with the exception of feeding.

The form is free of charge.

Please can anyone help me with how to get funding, scholarship or even loan?
Or how to hook up with an airline company that can sponsor and we will enter into contract for me to work for them?

Thanks. 08036017839. ebmshelia@gmail.com
Re: How To Become A Pilot? by PDexter: 2:46pm On Sep 13, 2010
@ Garbigarba

The basic entry requirements for NCAT and most flying schools is ur O' levels including Math, Physics and English (geography is and added advantage) , the in house Aptitude Test/ oral Assessment and a valid class A medical which in NCAT's case is part of the medical test . Having a B.Sc in the Sciences if anything should be an academic advantage but really isn't the priority of the examiners.

I must tell u that entry into NCAT is competitive both academics and contact wise, we had about 1500 or more people writing the test and only 40 got picked which was b'cos the sch had not admitted flying students in a while, the standard class is 20-24 per class. and weeding is continuous (i.e if u don't meet up at any point in the training u go home). I personally had a B.Sc in computer Science and ended up in a class of 33 with only 7 graduates and only 23 (3 Graduates) are left in class 1.8yrs down the line (excluding me).

Yes Training in Zaria takes a little longer than 18 months for PPL/CPL/IR/ME due weather availability of AVGAS and other factors but that is gradually changing with the new administration and recent acquisition of new training Aircrafts and i also believe it's a cheaper alternative. yes 7.5 million is a lot of cash but when u consider the fact that u get feeding , accommodation, course materials et all and about 300hrs flight time 50hrs of which should be ME on the Beach Baron (if u'r sharp enough) i think it's a good bargain. Plus u could pay in bits and source for sponsors while continuing ur training (i.e of course with the consent of the rector and the Head of sch)

Forms are sold once a year at NCAT and other Aviation parastatals such as NCAA/NAMA offices. It's been a while so no concrete info but i do know that there are currently about 3 courses on ground SP-24A should be rounding up in Oct-Nov, that leaves SP-25 and then the Airforce PPL class. SP-26 is not operational yet, they sold forms and wrote the entrance exam (i'm not sure if they've done the interview) but it would be a while b4 they start flying so u have to be patient if u'r thinking of NCAT except u have long legs and 7.5m handy. Or u could just apply for the PPL course at 2.5m (still alot right?)

Let keep our fingers crossed and see what ilorin has to offer ( there's a new flying school kicking off there, i think the lagos liaison office is at 170 awolowo road Ikoyi)

I Have to go now, hope this has been helpful

4 Likes

Re: How To Become A Pilot? by Nobody: 4:50pm On Sep 17, 2010
Hello Coriola, I am very interested in the Ilorin school. I just got back from South Africa with my PPL and trying to raise money for the CPL but am struggling with that. Can you help me with the Ilorin sch. My yahoo id is ozotz@yahoo.co.uk. you can holla me with more info of how to get in with their scholarship scheme also. Thank you

I have tried all the airlines but to no avail.
Re: How To Become A Pilot? by Cappadona123: 9:40am On Oct 18, 2010
Hey,I got a school u can attend in usa.u can call me on 07034765706
Re: How To Become A Pilot? by Mobsync(m): 6:02pm On Dec 09, 2010
I am a 16 years old boy and I want to become a pilot. I want to know more about it. That is, Course to study (in the university),
Years of training (as a pilot),
If I have to complete my NYSC before I can attend the school,
Also I don't have a 20/20 vision as I have eye problem which makes me wear a pair of glasses,
And most importantly, I would like to know about the fees for the training period as I have asked people about this school several times and they all gave me conflicting answers and I will also like to get in  contact with pilot 955 so he can tell me about the airforce.

I'll also like to speak to ivy4u. really appreciate u guys. cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: How To Become A Pilot? by caleb2002: 3:45pm On Dec 14, 2010
i am back on this post again, pls @ rdv pls don't leave us alone on this, i have no idea not even a clue about my career but flying is really my dream, this isn't something i just woke up on a fateful day and just decide to do, i dream about this often when i was very young.pls i have a financial challenges and i want an info on how to do about my career. i am trying to go to nda, i have cllected the form and filled it already but the problem is that you will have to be connected to get into the school, i thought this would be a better foundation on my flying career but connection is the big problem now, pls how can you help me pls i need you to post something to me too as you have done for others and all nairalanders, pls
Re: How To Become A Pilot? by flyeasy: 10:51pm On Dec 22, 2010
pls doesanyone have an idea on how the interview and evaluations for admission into the flying school of ncat zaria goes? please urgently post an overview of the process if u do. thx
Re: How To Become A Pilot? by Nobody: 5:14pm On Nov 23, 2011
Where on earth is everyone here?
Re: How To Become A Pilot? by yamakuza: 6:44pm On Nov 23, 2011
enitan2002:

Where on earth is everyone here?

in the skies

Are you a real life pilot now ?
Re: How To Become A Pilot? by Nobody: 12:05pm On Nov 24, 2011
yamakuza:

in the skies

Are you a real life pilot now ?

Nah, but i am a professional Virtual Pilot. I have had the dream of becoming a pilot ever since i was a kid. Nigeria is a country where i am aware of kids change their dreams as they grown, all due to the reason of economic woes and lack of support.
Since i still couldn't find a way of fulfilling this dream, i have to get satisfaction by joining a virtual flying community, and that is where i get fulfillment from pending the time i can gather enough to get the real flying license.

To those who wants to satisfy their lust for flying at all cost, and can not afford the fee, just get yourself a flying simulation software, a joystick and join an online flying community, you will be the happiest person on earth.
Re: How To Become A Pilot? by yamakuza: 1:16pm On Nov 24, 2011
^ seriously? So u can jamesbond yourself around a real AirBus now?

We had a thread here dedicated to female pilots a few weeks back and no one showed up.

Next time, we'll post it on VATSIM.
Re: How To Become A Pilot? by Nobody: 8:59am On Nov 25, 2011
yamakuza:

^ seriously? So u can jamesbond yourself around a real AirBus now?

We had a thread here dedicated to female pilots a few weeks back and no one showed up.

Next time, we'll post it on VATSIM.

Are you kidding me? Don't tell me you're on VATSIM, cos i am there. I have a flight booked already for sunday, from EDINBURGH to LEEDS, there'll also be live ATCs on ground to help with directions. it will really be fun.
Re: How To Become A Pilot? by Nobody: 7:52pm On Dec 05, 2011
where are the birds controllers?
Re: How To Become A Pilot? by solutionscolony: 9:50pm On Dec 05, 2011
Is it possible for a food scientist to work in aviation? if yes, how do i in about this
Re: How To Become A Pilot? by Nobody: 12:04pm On Dec 06, 2011
solutionscolony:

Is it possible for a food scientist to work in aviation? if yes, how do i in about this

you have to be outstanding in geography and calculation, then apply for NCAT in zaria, shikena.
Re: How To Become A Pilot? by pilottrain: 5:51pm On Dec 07, 2011
Strike Wing Aviation is the only flight school in the philippines that operates within an international airport, giving students an unequaled access to world-class facilities, international standards, suited weather conditions and terrains that are perfect for aviation training.

Courses Offered

* PPL  -  (Private Pilot Licence)
* CPL  - (Commercial Pilot Licence)
* ME   -(Multi Engine Rating)
* IR    -(Instrument Rating)
* FI    -(Flight Instructor's)

PPL, CPL w/ IR & MER  £22,497.25 - $35,000 - €26,189.66 with food and accommdation

6 to 8 Months Commercial Pilot Course with Instrument and Multi-Engine Rating

Strike Wing Aviation
Phone   : +639266586987
E-mail : info@strikewingaviation.com
Address : Philcox Hangar, Domestic Road, Pasay City Philippines

1 Like

Re: How To Become A Pilot? by flywithme1: 3:39pm On Jan 14, 2012
This forum shouldn't be left dry, am an aspiring airline pilot too. This forum really came in handy.

Someone told me that FAA license is the best so far. Hope job opportunity are high oo
Re: How To Become A Pilot? by yamakuza: 4:26pm On Jan 14, 2012
flywithme1:

This forum shouldn't be left dry, am an aspiring airline pilot too. This forum really came in handy.

Someone told me that FAA license is the best so far. Hope job opportunity are high oo

1. How did it come in handy?

2. Is/was this thread more useful than:

www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-142420.384.html

?
Re: How To Become A Pilot? by Mafious(m): 10:17pm On Feb 03, 2012
Una fit come our school oooh in Denton, TX  www.usaviationacademy.com we have four private and four Airforce guys here with more to come
the koko be say the school get under G runs I think, but I'm not sure so don't hold me to it but them dey give
people with their admission letter Visa well well only say some guys no dey show up

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Become A Pilot? by Nobody: 3:54pm On Feb 14, 2012
pls any info on helicopter piloting
Re: How To Become A Pilot? by yamakuza: 6:11am On Feb 20, 2012
swirlgoldie:

Hello, im a cabin crew with an airline in nigeria but intend to do a modular courses catB1.1, in the UK. The infor im getting is that it would tk me 5yrs to get a CAA licence after the relevant job experience.
My question is, hw long will it tk me after the modular exams to get NCAA licence in nigeria?

^ does anyone know?

Thanks.
Re: How To Become A Pilot? by Horus(m): 6:17pm On Oct 13, 2012

Olumide Ayoola                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             [size=15pt]Fight to flight[/size]

The inspiring story of how this man fought to fulfill his childhood dream of becoming a pilot.
WHEN HE was just five years old, Olumide Ayoola set foot on a plane for the very first time - and was hooked.
It took 42-year-old Olumide another 25 years of determination to finally become a commercial airline pilot for KLM UK.
Ayoola told The Voice’s Trudy Simpson of his amazing journey. “When I was five, I went on my first flight. The cabin crew
took all the children on board to see the cockpit and the pilot.

AIRCRAFT

“Once I walked in and saw the buttons and lights, and the view they had from the front of the aircraft, I fell in love with it. I said ‘This is what I want to do.’ “There is a big difference between wanting to be a pilot at five and eventually achieving it at the age of 30. That was down to mainly financial and health reasons. “In secondary school I would daydream and followed any newspaper reports and publications about airplanes and pilots, and every time I flew I tried to get the chance to talk to the pilot. Every opportunity I got, I would go to the airport. “At 16, when I finished my O’ levels, I gathered enough information to go to flight school. However, his parents encouraged him to go to university first.
“I came over from Nigeria to go to school in England. It gave me more access to find out more about becoming a pilot.
“Becoming a pilot was also in the background when I went to university and studied engineering. “When I finished at niversity, I was free to pursue it. But when I found out the cost was so high, I couldn’t afford it. “Flying training is very expensive. It costs about £80,000 to go from scratch to being at the point where an airline can finally employ you ,and even then they have to put you through further training. “There are a number of ways people can get in. You can be lucky enough to have the cash so you can pay for the training yourself. At the age of 21, I didn’t. “I couldn’t ask my parents to sponsor it because the cost was so high and they had already spent so much on my education. On top of that, I had
found out my eyesight was not good enough to be a commercial airline pilot. “At that time you had to have virtually perfect eyesight to be a pilot and I wore glasses from the age of 10, so it looked, for a long time, like I was not going to be able to achieve it. I was very despondent. It was as if the dream was over.

PRIVATE

“But I was told my eyesight was still good enough to be a private pilot. So I said ‘If that is the next best thing, I’ll do that’. I did that on and off and started working as an engineer for London Underground, flying whenever I could as a leisure thing. “I later found out that London Underground had a flying club, which was subsidised so it was cheaper than what I was doing. I went there and started flying more and more. And I (later) read about laser eye surgery. “At 24, once I found out I was suitable for it, the dream came back. I did the surgery, waited two years to make sure the eyesight was stabilised, and applied again to be a commercial pilot. I also started looking into going to flight school. “Airlines were offering sponsorship (to go to school) but for one reason or another, I was not eligible. I realised I would have to self-sponsor. “I worked for a few years as an engineer and saved up and got lucky with the property I bought. I realised that by selling the property I would be able to pay off the mortgage, pay for the flying training and have enough to put down on a deposit for another place. “I did my flight training for three years because I didn’t do it full time. I had a mortgage to pay and bills, so I had to keep working and did the academic part of the training part time. “I finished the training and began job hunting. I sent applications to at least 500 different companies, different types of airlines. But it is twice as difficult for somebody who is self-sponsored compared to somebody who is sponsored by an airline. “But I kept applying and networking, talking to people. I met people who were working as pilots who could make recommendations. “It took me about nine months to find a job. There were times I felt like giving up, when people said ‘You are crazy, you are throwing away a good career to chase this dream’, because I was well paid as an engineer. “It was a good career but it felt all the time that something was missing from my life. “My big break came at an aviation jobs exhibition, given to me by one of the guys I knew from networking. “Nearly all major airlines were recruiting but I sat through presentation after presentation saying they were looking for the type of person I wasn’t. “Half way through, I thought I was wasting my time and went outside. Standing near the door was an old gentleman smoking a pipe. “We got talking and I basically told him that it seemed I was wasting my time here because I was self-sponsored, over the age limit, and did not have enough experience. “He talked me into staying, saying ‘You never know, ’ so I went back inside to listen to more presentations. “Then they said the next speaker is the pilot manager from KLM UK. On stage came the man I had been speaking to. “They had a round table after the presentation and I went over, and he and I chatted. “He said ‘Don’t give up and eventually we will get to your application’. We had a very encouraging conversation and I went home feeling much happier. “Three days later, I got a phone call from one of the guys I mentioned to him and he was saying the gentleman had asked about me. “He encouraged me to call (the gentleman) again. I did. He said he had spoken to my friend about me. He put my CV in the pile of those that he had recommended. “Six months later, I was starting a new job! There was a bit of trepidation but a lot of happiness. I have been with KLM 10 years. “My message (to people) is not to let themselves be railroaded by peer, parental or any other kind of pressure into doing something they don’t feel is for them. Everything is possible.”

Source: http://www.voice-online.co.uk/content.php?show=15294
Re: How To Become A Pilot? by nmohan1980: 12:11pm On Oct 17, 2012
Here is the site which can provide some great details on How to became a Pilot? http://learnnfly.com/
Re: How To Become A Pilot? by bayogeorge(m): 6:44pm On Oct 17, 2012
Hello anybody with right information about pilot school in South Africa with low fees?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Auwalu Salisu, Tricycle Rider Returns ₦18 Million To Passenger In Kano / ACCA Aspirants, Students And Chartered: Lets Meet Here / Nigerian Lady In The US Army Confused Her Colleague With Pidgin English

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.