Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,435 members, 7,808,559 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:25 PM

Is Our Money Safe With Our Banks Considering My Recent Access Bank Experience - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Is Our Money Safe With Our Banks Considering My Recent Access Bank Experience (668 Views)

My Piggy Bank Experience / My Piggy Bank Experience / Polaris Bank - 6 Tips To Help You Keep Your Money Safe This Holiday Season (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Our Money Safe With Our Banks Considering My Recent Access Bank Experience by Medley(m): 9:57pm On Mar 29, 2019
Straight to the point.

I woke up by 6am and found out that my phone has been stolen, I didn't have another phone so this made it impossible for me to reach my network operator to block my line and I couldn't also reach my bank as I had three bank account from different banks.

It was in the morning that I could get this reported and the SIM blocked. I immediately went to my banks to check if my account haven't been tampered with.

Lo and behold, one was tampered with and it was surprising that it was the one I least expected to be tampered with, this is because I don't do online transaction with my Access Bank account, I don't do USSD transactions, my ATM card was safe with me and I do strictly ATM withdrawals and the ATM was not stolen. To me the Access Bank account was strictly for savings.

There was nothing I could do because I didn't know when the phone was stolen and was still fast asleep and very early in the morning I went for my Statement of account and found that my account has been emptied.

How safe is our money, if anyone can easily use your phone to do transactions immediately it has been stolen and move money through USSD transactions and USSD top ups, is it prevalence with all banks in Nigeria, because it's now rocket science to me on where our money can be kept safe.

It's not always that someone will immediately know that his or her phone has been stolen, does it mean that within those short period of not knowing you can lose your life savings, I don't know how possible the transactions were done in the first place.
Re: Is Our Money Safe With Our Banks Considering My Recent Access Bank Experience by Nbote(m): 10:00pm On Mar 29, 2019
How dey access one's fund with jus d SIM is baffling...
Re: Is Our Money Safe With Our Banks Considering My Recent Access Bank Experience by Medley(m): 10:02pm On Mar 29, 2019
Nbote:
How dey access one's fund with jus d SIM is baffling...

Isn't it baffling that it's that easy. My fears have been heightened, I must say. Where will I safe my money
Re: Is Our Money Safe With Our Banks Considering My Recent Access Bank Experience by izzou(m): 10:09pm On Mar 29, 2019
So sorry for your loss, brother

But then, we can't really blame banks all the time.

They want to make it simpler for us to access our accounts at any given time, hence the apps and USSD codes. But all these comes at the expenses of our security, of which the customer is solely responsible for

How they got your pin is baffling. But they must have followed the normal procedure to withdraw it from your account.

So sorry
Re: Is Our Money Safe With Our Banks Considering My Recent Access Bank Experience by Medley(m): 10:35pm On Mar 29, 2019
izzou:
So sorry for your loss, brother

But then, we can't really blame banks all the time.

They want to make it simpler for us to access our accounts at any given time, hence the apps and USSD codes. But all these comes at the expenses of our security, of which the customer is solely responsible for

How they got your pin is baffling. But they must have followed the normal procedure to withdraw it from your account.

So sorry

Thanks. The issue is that I don't do any online transaction with Access Bank. I haven't generated or used any USSD code or PIN for any transaction before. The only PIN I have ever had was for my ATM card and it was not stolen and I can vouch with my last Penny that I have never unknowingly or unknowingly shared my ATM no. Or PIN with anyone.

The pain of losing money this cheap far outweighs what they intend to achieve with the so called ease of banking.
Re: Is Our Money Safe With Our Banks Considering My Recent Access Bank Experience by Damolux01(m): 10:38pm On Mar 29, 2019
We all need to reason well about this. It happened to a friend too and trust me...I seriously felt for him. How they do it, I dont know...could it BVN? What's the solution...ones phone can get missing anytime.
Re: Is Our Money Safe With Our Banks Considering My Recent Access Bank Experience by Damolux01(m): 10:39pm On Mar 29, 2019
Medley:

Thanks. The issue is that I don't do any online transaction with Access Bank. I haven't generated or used any USSD code or PIN for any transaction before. The only PIN I have ever had was for my ATM card and it was not stolen and I can vouch with my last Penny that I have never unknowingly or unknowingly shared my ATM no. Or PIN with anyone.

The pain of losing money this cheap far outweighs what they intend to achieve with the so called ease of banking.
Maybe you have your BVN saved on your phone. With that BVN shit...All funds can be wiped.
Re: Is Our Money Safe With Our Banks Considering My Recent Access Bank Experience by Medley(m): 10:41pm On Mar 29, 2019
Damolux01:
We all need to reason well about this. It happened to a friend too and trust me...I seriously felt for him. How they do it, I dont know...could it BVN? What's the solution...ones phone can get missing anytime.

The blame is always passed to the owner of the account for not reporting early. Then when will reporting be too late? How long does it take for this hungry thieves to do their transactions, it seems the phone is the least of their problems, they are more interested in doing illegal transactions.
Re: Is Our Money Safe With Our Banks Considering My Recent Access Bank Experience by izzou(m): 10:45pm On Mar 29, 2019
Medley:

Some banks activate the USSD option with your phone number immediately you open the account. So all it takes is the thief to get your pin(ATM) and he's done

I really don't know how these thieves manoeuvre their way into these platforms.

So sorry for the loss
Re: Is Our Money Safe With Our Banks Considering My Recent Access Bank Experience by Medley(m): 10:45pm On Mar 29, 2019
Damolux01:
Maybe you have your BVN saved on your phone. With that BVN shit...All funds can be wiped.

That's not the case here. I am very good with numbers. So I have virtually all my ATM numbers and BVN, and I know them by heart. It was not saved. I also inquired from people and I was told that they is a general code for checking BVN on phones, then this further indicates that our money isn't safe
Re: Is Our Money Safe With Our Banks Considering My Recent Access Bank Experience by Damolux01(m): 10:53pm On Mar 29, 2019
Medley:

That's not the case here. I am very good with numbers. So I have virtually all my ATM numbers and BVN, and I know them by heart. It was not saved. I also inquired from people and I was told that they is a general code for checking BVN on phones, then this further indicates that our money isn't safe
I guess they checked your BVN with the phone...that did their job.
Since the BVN makes it so easy for ones money to get withdrawn...Bank should ensure one does some other things b4 BVN can be generated.

(1) (Reply)

What Business Can I Do With Just 30k / Is A Laon Of 2m With 20% Simple Interest Rate Reasonable? / MTN Nigeria Officially Launches A Mobile Money Transfer Services

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.