Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,352 members, 7,800,702 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 01:08 AM

Northern State Governors Need To Step Up For Their People - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Northern State Governors Need To Step Up For Their People (771 Views)

Irigwe Community Buries 6 Of Their People Killed By Fulani Militia In Plateau / Reno Omokri Mocks Okorocha, Akpabio 'As Their People Reject Them' / Fulanis Hold Massive Protest In Paris Against Killing Of Their People. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Northern State Governors Need To Step Up For Their People by festacman(m): 12:06pm On Mar 30, 2019
Late Sir Ahmadu Bello was a visionary leader as the Premier of Northern Region. He had a vision and a dream of a politically strong and economically viable Northern Nigeria. He was so passionate about his people that he turned down the opportunity to become the Prime Minister of Nigeria in order to focus on developing his people to match up with both Western and Eastern Regions. So, rationally, his strong but patriarchal personality, his development-focused values, his service-driven leadership style and his sacrifical disposition ought to serve as model to the current political leaders especially the State Governors in the North. Unfortunately, this is not the case currently.

The reality is that lately both past and current Governors lack the mindset and character of late Ahmadu Bello. Having so much ego and selfishness, they make little sacrifice for their people. They focus too much on building personal political structures to the neglect of meeting the people's needs. There is too much of emphasis on the material comfort of the leaders to the neglect of the welfare of the people. They focus short-term on winning next elections to the neglect of long-overdue reforms and actions that will transform the society in the long term. Interestingly, Ahmadu Bello in his days oversaw the whole of North East, North West and North Central combined and yet made incredible impact. Today, we have governors in charge of a fraction of the area and responsibilities, which the legendary leader had and yet are struggling to make impact. They are struggling to pay even salaries!

One far-reaching shortcoming of these Governors in recent times is that they 'sweat' too much and spend scarce state resources to please the following three privileged groups namely: (a) The religious leadership structure, (b)The traditional rulership structures and (c) the upper social class. They do this for political gains and to the detriment of the two disadvantaged groups namely (a) the middle social class whose needs are minimally attended to and (b) the low social class whose needs are largely left unattended to and who survive by eating the crumbs from the table of three privileged groups.

However, the truth of the matter is that religious leaders, traditional rulers and upper class are already well entrenched over the years and their interests are already being protected by the existing system. So, they do not need the current extra attention they are getting.

Therefore, time has come for Northern State Governors to turn their attention and resources in the direction of the long neglected middle and low social classes, which currently has a large population of skill-less young people. They are what government should be all about now. If Ahmadu Bello were alive today, these are the people whose needs he would be working to meet.

Some questions needing answers

With the existing expansive fertile land mass, large youthful population and flourishing subsistence agrarian culture, why is still difficult to use agricultural production, produce marketing/processing to drastically reduce rate of unemployment, create a generation of young rich agricultural entrepreneurs and improve IGR greatly?

Why still leave the current failed Almajiri system to keep destroying the future of innocent children when one bold action of reform can save these children from not achieving their potentials? Incidentally, the last attempt to reform Almajiri system was done by late Sir Ahmadu Bello.

Why foot-drag on raising the quality of primary /secondary education when a bold action on improving quality of teachers can do go a long way? The quality of any product reflects the quality of its factory.

Why just allow many aspects of the society to remain stagnant when slight reforms here and there will bring about positive change of mindset and generally improve quality of living? Even Saudi Arabia and far east Muslim countries are embracing inevitable reforms in line with changing times to enable its people relate and compete in the global arena.

Time to invoke the spirit of Sir Ahmadu Bello is NOW!

Re: Northern State Governors Need To Step Up For Their People by EASY39(m): 12:09pm On Mar 30, 2019
Ok
Re: Northern State Governors Need To Step Up For Their People by athaboi(f): 12:48pm On Mar 30, 2019
Re: Northern State Governors Need To Step Up For Their People by ambu2: 1:48pm On Mar 30, 2019
Lai lai they can never never abolish almajiri. It is part of their culture.

1 Like

Re: Northern State Governors Need To Step Up For Their People by kufre2010: 2:41pm On Mar 30, 2019
Op take time oh, are you crying more than the berief? Are the northern populace complaining? Is either the northern populace or the elites will kill you
Re: Northern State Governors Need To Step Up For Their People by ambu2: 4:01pm On Mar 30, 2019
kufre2010:
Op take time oh, are you crying more than the berief? Are the northern populace complaining? Is either the northern populace or the elites will kill you
Exactly my point. Why bother about them when they are comfortable in their poverty and underdevelopment....smh

1 Like

Re: Northern State Governors Need To Step Up For Their People by festacman(m): 6:18pm On Mar 30, 2019
ambu2:

Exactly my point. Why bother about them when they are comfortable in their poverty and underdevelopment....smh
My responsibility as a writer is to observe, criticize, interrogate and suggest for the good of my society. It up to the relevant stakeholders to take action. People living in northern Nigeria are human beings and they deserve better. I know what I am saying because I did my NYSC there.
Re: Northern State Governors Need To Step Up For Their People by ambu2: 9:45pm On Mar 30, 2019
festacman:

My responsibility as a writer is to observe, criticize, interrogate and suggest for the good of my society. It up to the relevant stakeholders to take action. People living in northern Nigeria are human beings and they deserve better. I know what I am saying because I did my NYSC there.
I am sorry If you feel somehow about my opinion. But if you look closely, you ask yourself how many northerners have read and commented on your post. The is answer is none. So it is like what you see as a problem is not a problem to them.
Re: Northern State Governors Need To Step Up For Their People by Nobody: 4:28pm On Nov 05, 2019
festacman:

Good afternoon sir...... Your help is urgently needed

(1) (Reply)

‘lawmaker’s Daughter Worked In Pencom With Fake Degrees’ / Okorocha Decries Prisons’ Condition Nationwide / Buhari’s Assets Have ‘changed After Four Years, But Not Significantly’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.