Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,834 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:02 AM

Car Sickness And 7 Ways To Effectively Handle It During Travel - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Car Sickness And 7 Ways To Effectively Handle It During Travel (11611 Views)

2 Co-Wives, Their Family Member And 7 Others Die In Kwara Auto Crash (Photos) / How To Get Better Sleep During Travel / How To Get Better Sleep During Travel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Car Sickness And 7 Ways To Effectively Handle It During Travel by AutoJoshNG: 8:05am On Mar 31, 2019

Traveling is one of the most common hobbies of our time. It can sometimes be dreaded due to the sickness some people feel after spending time in a moving car, ship, train or even aircraft.

Traveling can be a nightmare for the victims of motion sickness especially when it’s a long journey by road. It is very common in children and pregnant women.

Motion sickness is usually caused by the disagreement between the vestibular system’s sense of movement and visually perceived movement, typically resulting from travel is known as motion sickness. In a simpler context, it is caused by conflicting signals in the inner ear, eyes, and sensory receptors.

Motion sickness can be caused by the repeated movement of a car; like when a car enters pot holes or moves over bumps repeatedly. Irregular passage of air in a moving car can also lead to motion sickness.

Symptoms of car (motion) sickness:

Quick feeling you need to throw up (nausea)
Dizziness
Increase in saliva production
Loss of appetite
Pale skin

In addition to the above symptoms, some people get headaches, feel very tired, or have shallow breathing.

Please, motion sickness is not contagious.

7 Ways to effectively handle car (motion) sickness:

1. Motion sickness can reduced by making sure the car one is traveling in is well ventilated. The individual who’s affected can do well to sit near the window in order to receive enough air.

2. Avoid operation of electronic gadgets because this sometimes leads to dizziness. Avoid reading.

3. Closing your eye can be of help and try to remove your focus from the moving car; maybe counting backwards from 100 to 0.

4. Look at stable objects. You can fix your gaze through the windshield.

5. Avoid alcohol, eat lightly and don’t fast.

6. Avoid eating heavy or spicy food during travel to avoid feeling sick afterwards.

7. Some people feel like they get relief by consuming these edibles:

Raw ginger – There’s some scientific proof that this root is an effective remedy for nausea.
Mint – Eating peppermint is thought to calm the body. At the very least, the aroma may soothe you.

SOURCE: https://autojosh.com/caar-motion-sickness-travel/

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Car Sickness And 7 Ways To Effectively Handle It During Travel by ominilongest(m): 8:15am On Mar 31, 2019
FTC wink
Re: Car Sickness And 7 Ways To Effectively Handle It During Travel by JoanOluchi(f): 8:16am On Mar 31, 2019
The Mint is true.. That's the perfect remedy for me.. Mint bubble gum, sweet, inhaler etc

2 Likes

Re: Car Sickness And 7 Ways To Effectively Handle It During Travel by danielck22(m): 8:17am On Mar 31, 2019
Thanks OP, I usually get dizzy when I use my phone wile travelling.

So, I just turn listen to music on my earphone and close my eyes while leaning on the headrest.
And it helped me.

8 Likes

Re: Car Sickness And 7 Ways To Effectively Handle It During Travel by Freeko4: 8:17am On Mar 31, 2019
Nice post
I suffer from motion sickness as a passenger but don't wen I'm driving.....

14 Likes

Re: Car Sickness And 7 Ways To Effectively Handle It During Travel by rekeson: 8:17am On Mar 31, 2019
Get cough inhaler; the liquid type. Just take a drag from it once in awhile throughout d journey. Thank me later...

1 Like

Re: Car Sickness And 7 Ways To Effectively Handle It During Travel by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:20am On Mar 31, 2019
Re: Car Sickness And 7 Ways To Effectively Handle It During Travel by nairaproject: 8:24am On Mar 31, 2019
Nice
Re: Car Sickness And 7 Ways To Effectively Handle It During Travel by Chukazu: 8:28am On Mar 31, 2019
This happens to me every time I travel especially with commercial buses , and less with private cars.

My personal antidote is not eating anything (infact I stop eating the night before the journey) before embarking on the journey and with enough Bitter Kola, it has worked for me

4 Likes

Re: Car Sickness And 7 Ways To Effectively Handle It During Travel by Echelle(m): 8:28am On Mar 31, 2019
You just saved me meeeehhhnnn...

1 Like

Re: Car Sickness And 7 Ways To Effectively Handle It During Travel by oyi1(m): 8:32am On Mar 31, 2019
There Is A Pill For Motion Sickness

That's The Solution OP

Stop Beaten Around The Bush

2 Likes

Re: Car Sickness And 7 Ways To Effectively Handle It During Travel by Emmzy201(m): 8:35am On Mar 31, 2019
my sister has done all these and yet still vomits and looks so pale like a ghost when traveling
I don't know what else to do to help her
Re: Car Sickness And 7 Ways To Effectively Handle It During Travel by 3kay945(m): 8:47am On Mar 31, 2019
It doesn't happend to me but I don't like eating before travelling.

I think closing your eyes while listening to your favourite songs will help alot.
Re: Car Sickness And 7 Ways To Effectively Handle It During Travel by 3kay945(m): 8:48am On Mar 31, 2019
Emmzy201:
my sister has done all these and yet still vomits and looks so pale like a ghost when traveling
I don't know what else to do to help her

Like how old is she??
Learnt it happen more with teens and young lady
Re: Car Sickness And 7 Ways To Effectively Handle It During Travel by julieeni(f): 8:56am On Mar 31, 2019
That doesn’t work for me...what works for me is alvomite don’t know if I got the spelling right. I take it before traveling and it makes me sleep throughout the journey

1 Like

Re: Car Sickness And 7 Ways To Effectively Handle It During Travel by julieeni(f): 8:57am On Mar 31, 2019
oyi1:

That's The Solution OP

that’s the alvomite I think...it works wonders
Re: Car Sickness And 7 Ways To Effectively Handle It During Travel by 3rdavefarms(m): 9:17am On Mar 31, 2019
God is the only way
Re: Car Sickness And 7 Ways To Effectively Handle It During Travel by Lexicon123: 9:20am On Mar 31, 2019
oyi1:

That's The Solution OP

I agree completely. For a long journey, those proposed solutions will likely fail. I used to dread road journeys then. Avomin a good antidote if I must travel long distance by road.

1 Like

Re: Car Sickness And 7 Ways To Effectively Handle It During Travel by Emmzy201(m): 9:38am On Mar 31, 2019
3kay945:

Like how old is she?? Learnt it happen more with teens and young lady
you are right.... she's just seventeen
Re: Car Sickness And 7 Ways To Effectively Handle It During Travel by Profayo: 9:51am On Mar 31, 2019
It can be a terrible thing, only those of us that suffers from it knows. It makes me dread travelling especially in AC fitted vehicles.
It can also help if you sit at the front, you will notice that when you drive you that have motion sickness.There is a medication, scopolamine, not buscopan o, that can also help.The problem is I have searched throughout my state for the medication, I hsve not found it.

1 Like

Re: Car Sickness And 7 Ways To Effectively Handle It During Travel by Nobody: 9:52am On Mar 31, 2019
Thank you Op,
I have been suffering from motion sickness since when i was a baby (am 32 now) but surprisingly when i drive myself i wont fell any symptoms of motion sickness.
I also observed that when i entered some cars (prado, liteace 18 seater) with A.C on withing 30mins to 1hr o fell as if am gonna pass out.

1 Like

Re: Car Sickness And 7 Ways To Effectively Handle It During Travel by Babagy823: 10:00am On Mar 31, 2019
I enter the car with a bottle of coke, i take a sip when ever i start feeling like throwing up, thats my remedy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Car Sickness And 7 Ways To Effectively Handle It During Travel by Nobody: 10:00am On Mar 31, 2019
Freeko4:
Nice post
I suffer from motion sickness as a passenger but don't wen I'm driving.....
Same here, am still wondering undecided
Re: Car Sickness And 7 Ways To Effectively Handle It During Travel by eazyfocus: 10:05am On Mar 31, 2019
Eco2580:
Thank you Op,
I have been suffering from motion sickness since when i was a baby (am 32 now) but surprisingly when i drive myself i wont fell any symptoms of motion sickness.
I also observed that when i entered some cars (prado, liteace 18 seater) with A.C on withing 30mins to 1hr o fell as if am gonna pass out.

You are not alone on this...... A.C and phone are my worst enemy.

1 Like

Re: Car Sickness And 7 Ways To Effectively Handle It During Travel by IamAlexander: 10:21am On Mar 31, 2019
My is tom Tom sweet or find something to munch or drink... I dare not read nor play with my gadgets...

However, I envy those who can do this conveniently while traveling without feeling anyhow... grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Car Sickness And 7 Ways To Effectively Handle It During Travel by Horlamidei(m): 10:51am On Mar 31, 2019
Everything is me..! Thank you..! Good to know the causes and solution of it.
Re: Car Sickness And 7 Ways To Effectively Handle It During Travel by HOSTCOM(m): 10:59am On Mar 31, 2019
julieeni:
That doesn’t work for me...what works for me is alvomite don’t know if I got the spelling right. I take it before traveling and it makes me sleep throughout the journey

Stop taking that shit OK? Sleep all through journey ke? Abeg stop..kidnapers on the loose o. God safe you.
Re: Car Sickness And 7 Ways To Effectively Handle It During Travel by Imustreturn(m): 11:04am On Mar 31, 2019
Long journey always dealing with me
Re: Car Sickness And 7 Ways To Effectively Handle It During Travel by Timblaze(m): 11:11am On Mar 31, 2019
thanks op, but motion sickness... make i hear, i love traveling....my hobby....

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Dean Hurlock: UK Won’t Reverse Travel Ban Over FG’s Threat / Youths Protest Terrible Condition Of Benin-Sapele Road / Twitter User Share State Of The Restroom In The Newly Commissioned Abuja Airport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.