Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,455 members, 7,808,619 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:23 PM

The Struggle For Admission Into Public Schools In Nigeria - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Struggle For Admission Into Public Schools In Nigeria (460 Views)

Photos Of Kids In Public Schools In Different Countries Eating Lunch / New Look Of Public Schools In Borno State / Decay In Public Schools In Akwa Ibom (Photos, Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Struggle For Admission Into Public Schools In Nigeria by Benedicta261(f): 2:08pm On Mar 31, 2019
March 31, 2019

If you are a Nigerian, you cannot dispute the absence of a Nigerian factor in virtually every aspect of our lives. The Nigerian factor is capable of just anything. It is the Nigerian factor that makes it possible for one to score as high as 250 on a scale of 400 in UTME but is unable to secure an admission into a tertiary institution. If it is not on the basis of catchment area, it would be that you were possibly dropped in favour of some other candidate who comes from an “educationally disadvantaged state”. The Nigerian factor is indeed a reality. Amidst all these, candidates still struggle to secure a slot every single year.

As a graduate of a public school in Nigeria, there are things you can easily relate with. That you learn in an overpopulated class with little ventilation is one of them. That you do numerous “practicals” and yet have little or no opportunity to lay your hands on the apparatus is another.  That some lecturers walk into the class to teach without recourse to whether or not the students understand is yet another heartbreaking one. Did I dare forget  the numerous ASUU, NASU and SSANU strikes? I dare not.

Despite these challenges, millions of graduates are churned out from these public schools every year. Some with first class degrees, some second class, some third class degrees.

Isn’t it crazy that going through these challenges, expectations are not always fully maximized?

There are expectations that come with attending higher institutions whether private or public. One of which is being able to solve a problem. After leaving school, one ought to make good of the knowledge gathered to make an impact in one field or the other. This is not always the case as some expectations are cut short. Many persons die as students and some do not live long enough to make good use of these skills gathered in the past years. We would  all die one day, wouldn’t we?  When? That becomes the problem.

And so, there is a Goodnews in my class, he made a first class and being the only first class student in my class, all eyes would naturally be on him. Few months after graduation, he dies. Just while we were still in shock of his death, another Marvelous classmate of mine who ought to be convoking on the 29th of March 2019  would instead be buried on that day. A  quite appalling situation if you ask me. I questioned God and I know many persons did the same too. Many questions ran through my mind. Who am I to interrogate GOD? Rest in Peace Goodnews. Rest in Peace Marvellous. Rest in Peace to other fallen heroes.

Nevertheless, I'll cease this opportunity to wish all the graduates of the University of Port Harcourt, particularly the graduates of English studies department a happy convocation ceremony. Against all odds, we came, saw and by God’s unfailing grace, we conquered! We need to be grateful at every point in our lives. I bet you, those that died hoped for this day but didn't live to actualize it. You did. GLORY!
Congratulations !!!���

(1) (Reply)

Fidei Polytechnic Gboko, Benue State Is Recruiting / Female Comedienne, Helen Paul Bags Doctorate Degree In UNILAG. / LAUTECH 100 - 500L Free CBT Practice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.