Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,375 members, 7,808,309 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:11 AM

My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC (27182 Views)

The 331 MPH Car Speed Record Controversy / It's Medically Wrong To Use The AC Just Immediately You Enter Your Hot Car / My Toyota Corolla Over Heats Only When The AC Is On! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by Lamasta(m): 7:03pm On Apr 02, 2019
Pgs01:

Lol like seriously
That car needs to get ATIKULATED to get it working again grin

2 Likes

Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by GoodGodmykeeper(m): 7:03pm On Apr 02, 2019
normal
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by SleakBuzzPR: 7:04pm On Apr 02, 2019
lwise:
I always have this unpleasant experience anytime I switch on my AC (Hyundai Accent 2008).At times in traffic the car stops completely,I have to switch OFF the car then ON it back.

Can anyone help with the possible solution.

Thanks

I had this same issue with my Honda 08 last year. Once the AC comes on, it loses speed, vibrates violently on slow running and shuts the engine off. I get to restart everytime and it made me not use AC in traffic for months.

It damaged my wallet cos I spent heavy trying to resolve the issue. I changed virtually all related parts and nothing helped until I met a God-sent mechanic who was able to resolve the issue.

I could help you with his contact. His workshop is at Oworonshoki.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by tellwisdom: 7:04pm On Apr 02, 2019
Check ur full light. sad
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by b5ive(m): 7:05pm On Apr 02, 2019
U've got good taste, 09camry is super dope compared to other Camry models...
hisexcellency34:
sell it fast and get Toyota Camry 2009
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by victorazyvictor(m): 7:05pm On Apr 02, 2019
lwise:
I always have this unpleasant experience anytime I switch on my AC (Hyundai Accent 2008).At times in traffic the car stops completely,I have to switch OFF the car then ON it back.

Thanks

Normal
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by InvertedHammer: 7:06pm On Apr 02, 2019
lwise:

Thanks
/
Did you check the ignition coils?

/
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by All4real2: 7:07pm On Apr 02, 2019
There is nothing you can do the engine is weak it does not have enough copression to cary the AC .because AC is an additional burden to the engine.Espectially after changing the follow come rings in most cases it does sometimes lead to over heating the engine. The only solution is to stop using the AC or else the car will start smoking in less than 2 months of ringing the engine

7 Likes

Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by PHIPEX(m): 7:10pm On Apr 02, 2019
I had similar experience but the catalyst was the cause, though it wasn't as serious as you described. Your catalyst could be blocked.

2 Likes

Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by Holywizard: 7:11pm On Apr 02, 2019
Switch it off then na
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by 1forall: 7:13pm On Apr 02, 2019
lwise:

The engine was ringed recently.I always have issue with the car jacking and vibrating as if the plugs are bad.I recently changed the plugs,service the engine but the situation remains the same . For the 1st 7 minutes of driving,hardly experience any issue.After sometime the car starts misbehaving and get worst if the AC is on.

I'm just tired cry cry

Engine overhauling (ringing) is a delicate job which most times doesn't give perfect results. An experienced auto mechanic (a banker and engineer with a decent auto workshop business) once told me that auto engineers abroad do not 'ring' engines because the variables to control for perfection are too many, and the slightest error can result in a poor job. Talking about things as minor as ambient temperature, dust, technique, quality of parts etc.

Think of that in the context of our 'professional' Nigerian auto mechanics!

Your car engine has inevitably lost some compression (power/pressure) due to the work done, thus the engine is not producing as much torque (rotational force) as it was originally designed to. Therefore when you switch on your AC - which is basically adding the AC compressor load to the engine - the engine struggles. It may not be such a problem if you're on the highway but will be more noticeable in traffic with AC on.

In summary, your car engine will last longer if you don't use the AC on it anymore, but even at that I think you should prepare your mind for engine or car replacement in the near future.

6 Likes

Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by XaviDayo(m): 7:22pm On Apr 02, 2019
The fan that works with the AC is not working. Check and see

1 Like

Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by Atom007(m): 7:23pm On Apr 02, 2019
lwise:

The engine was ringed recently.I always have issue with the car jacking and vibrating as if the plugs are bad.I recently changed the plugs,service the engine but the situation remains the same . For the 1st 7 minutes of driving,hardly experience any issue.After sometime the car starts misbehaving and get worst if the AC is on.

I'm just tired cry cry

Change the brain box
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by handsomeyinka(m): 7:23pm On Apr 02, 2019
You will need an engine replacement..Your engine is very low on compression whereby the ac unit requires more compression.your car Milleage is probably too high.

3 Likes

Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by potent5(m): 7:24pm On Apr 02, 2019
I suggest you change the fuel pump. Sometimes when the fuel pump is past its prime it will start misbehaving each time you drive the car , say some 10 minutes of driving.

1 Like

Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by PHIPEX(m): 7:25pm On Apr 02, 2019
XaviDayo:
The fan that works with the AC is not working. Check and see
That will more likely result to overheating than what OP described.
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by ChristineC: 7:26pm On Apr 02, 2019
Yakeeboy:

Thanks I always have this unpleasant experience anytime I switch on my AC (Hyundai Accent 2008).At times in traffic the car stops completely,I have to switch OFF the car then ON it back.

Thanks bro go and buy Benz! All these Japanese cars will always give you headache. Since I have been using my Benz I have not visited the mechanic for once despite traveling with the car every time. Since I have dropped all these Japanese cars I have said no to mechanics.
what model and type do you have currently?
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by Angel223: 7:30pm On Apr 02, 2019
It's your battery I use same Hyundai car Sport it happened to me was my battery after changing to new one that's all. Your battery is weak
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by obstead200(m): 7:31pm On Apr 02, 2019
lwise:

I'm just tired cry cry
u just said it all sir.
Ur engine is weakened. Lacks adequate compression to achieve desired power.
Invest in a new engine.

1 Like

Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by smeag0l(m): 7:31pm On Apr 02, 2019
Have you changed your AC compressor before?maybe to a manual one?
lwise:

I'm just tired cry cry
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by Ten06(m): 7:32pm On Apr 02, 2019
lwise:

Thanks
The issue there is not about the AC, being factory fitted it's not supposed to affect the engine. I think your car combustion system is faulty, you need to take the car to a quality mechanic to check your engine
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by Mbediogu(m): 7:33pm On Apr 02, 2019
okosodo:
It's is normal for speed to reduce when ac is turned on. Try warming your engine before moving

Factory fitted AC does not do that. May be they put an oversized compressor in your car.
I had the same experience with my car Benz 300 when technicians fitted AC to it. It was causing overheat.
Now I use RX 330 with factory AC. No more speed reduction or overheating when AC is on.
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by Nobody: 7:33pm On Apr 02, 2019
Buy another engine, if you still want to drive that car.

Not all vehicles take "ringing".
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by obstead200(m): 7:34pm On Apr 02, 2019
HarunaWest:

change the catalyst
this might help too. But to reduce cost, he shud try blowing out the catalyst first. If the situation improves, then it is a catalyst problem.
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by abusurv(m): 7:36pm On Apr 02, 2019
Chitumu:
Pls can i go for any other german car apart from benz? eg golf 7
Golf and electrical problems except you know people that are good in repairs of the electric problem.
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by oglalasioux(m): 7:36pm On Apr 02, 2019
Change your fuel pump.
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by portacabin: 7:37pm On Apr 02, 2019
It's a pity, all the comments are wrong. A good engine should increase in rpm, when the air-con is put on. A Vaccum device is activated when the air-con is put on, thus raising the engine rpm. Most of the Vaccum devices are not functional in most cars, hence the reduced rpm,

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by Geesarki(m): 7:37pm On Apr 02, 2019
hisexcellency34:
sell it fast and get Toyota Camry 2009

What's so special about the car bro. I want to change car too but I don't know the brand to go to?
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by ThothHermes: 7:39pm On Apr 02, 2019
If the OP follows everything he has read here he would have changed everything in the car and would have a totally new car by the time he's done.

My own: Change the car seats grin

12 Likes

Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by Nobody: 7:39pm On Apr 02, 2019
lwise:

Thanks

Bros Iwise, in this your situation, the only suspect is IDLE AIR CONTROL VALVE. The valve is weak and can't supply enough air into the engine when your car is idling thats why your car shut of in traffic with AC on. except if it shut down on motion too, that is the first thing i recommend you check first. ADVISE IS TO REPLACE.

4 Likes

Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by stanjohn57: 7:42pm On Apr 02, 2019
Please I have a somewhat similar issue. My 2009 Nissan Rogue has a peculiar issue. If am traveling, after about an hour on the highway, the car will experience difficulty accelerating, especially uphill as I noticed. It can't even do 40km/hr sometimes.
But if I stop and turn off ignition, the car will drive normal if I restart it after about five minutes.
I have gotten different diagnosis but same thing continues afterwards.
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by iamjavadem(m): 7:45pm On Apr 02, 2019
Perfect response. I almost bought other things too but I decided to wait and get another response. Bad battery is also a culprit.
jaxxy:

U Ac compressor might be the culprit. Probably soaked in water and now bridging. I had a similar problem and it was the compressor bt I had spent alot changing brain box, gasket, nozzle, injector to thinking the engine was even bad b4 I discovered it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Help- Vsa/caution Light On 08 Honda Pilot / How To Produce Lubricants In Nigeria / How Reliable Are Volvo Cars?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.