Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,334 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:26 AM

My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC - Car Talk (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC (27183 Views)

The 331 MPH Car Speed Record Controversy / It's Medically Wrong To Use The AC Just Immediately You Enter Your Hot Car / My Toyota Corolla Over Heats Only When The AC Is On! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by Navi(m): 1:10am On Apr 03, 2019
lwise:

The engine was ringed recently.I always have issue with the car jacking and vibrating as if the plugs are bad.I recently changed the plugs,service the engine but the situation remains the same . For the 1st 7 minutes of driving,hardly experience any issue.After sometime the car starts misbehaving and get worst if the AC is on.

I'm just tired cry cry

Just change your car’s plugs and it’s plug head terminals.
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by samyyoung1(m): 1:25am On Apr 03, 2019
lwise:

I changed the compressor

I used a kia Rio, same design and manufacturer as urs. I have exactly same problem, 7mins and car start slowing down when ac is on, I chged compressor also, n it became worse, very slow except when ac is off....when u get final solution, abeg quote me plz, cuz I love d fuel economy of did car so much

1 Like

Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by Absoj(m): 2:20am On Apr 03, 2019
Denikayan:
Change your tires
Lolssssss. Woos wobi grin u are the next level mechanic. grin

1 Like

Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by Absoj(m): 2:30am On Apr 03, 2019
Bjornson01:
Hyundai Accent 2008 right? grin grin dude that car came with a meagerly 110 grass eating ponies from the factory at 6000 rpm, and with Nigerian use I doubt if the engine can still give out 75 Hp, I'll advice you get a modern car with at least 2 litres of engine displacement if you want to be enjoying AC all the time.
Every engine whether small or big has its commensurate compressor that fits its capacity. U cannot put a Toyota hiace bus compressor in a Toyota corolla .
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by Absoj(m): 2:31am On Apr 03, 2019
Bjornson01:
Hyundai Accent 2008 right? grin grin dude that car came with a meagerly 110 grass eating ponies from the factory at 6000 rpm, and with Nigerian use I doubt if the engine can still give out 75 Hp, I'll advice you get a modern car with at least 2 litres of engine displacement if you want to be enjoying AC all the time.

Every engine whether small or big has its commensurate compressor that fits its capacity. U cannot put a Toyota hiace bus compressor in a Toyota corolla .
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by obekediamondfuto(m): 3:40am On Apr 03, 2019
OP I sincerely and seriously hope u r not taking every solution being offered here...... seriously!

most of them don't know Jack about what they are talking about....
like saying cure for sore throat...
take panadol
take coke
take sugar
take sugar and flagyl
take ampicillin and tetracyclene together.... lolz
change throat completely
change the neck

it worked for them doesn't mean it will work for u, it might work for u but just know that it's a gamble.

now back to base, I see ericko2 already doing justice.
1. Scan the vehicle to rule out power train issues like injector, throttle body, plug, iacv failures and the sort..... it might be as simple as a wrong connection (pcv valve connected wrongly cost me 2hrs troubleshooting when vehicle couldn't idle properly)

2. Ringing or engine overhaul is a nice and sure way of extending engine lifespan (IF DONE CORRECTLY). Are you sure this was done correctly with standard specs?

3. Did u observe the Break-in period for recently overhauled engines?

4. Leave the battery(non expired) alone for now if it's the same battery that was there when the going was smooth. Also, if ur "otternator" is bad, or having partial charge, there should be a warning signal on the dash (comes up during startup like others and remains lit while others turn off after startup).

5. What else? Don't change ur tires and seat just yet BRO..... grin

comment when u have reviewed the above items! but from where I'm standing.... bro it looks like u might need to rebuild the engine (aunty radu style) or get another one oh. Sounds like serious loss of compression... but let's look @ the bright side... scan might reveal a less complicated issue, maybe a wrong connection!

1 Like

Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by OmoIREFIN: 3:49am On Apr 03, 2019
obekediamondfuto:
OP I sincerely and seriously hope u r not taking every solution being offered here...... seriously!

most of them don't know Jack about what they are talking about....
like saying cure for sore throat...
take panadol
take coke
take sugar
take sugar and flagyl
take ampicillin and tetracyclene together.... lolz
change throat completely
change the neck

it worked for them doesn't mean it will work for u, it might work for u but just know that it's a gamble.

now back to base, I see ericko2 already doing justice.
1. Scan the vehicle to rule out power train issues like injector, throttle body, plug, iacv failures and the sort..... it might be as simple as a wrong connection (pcv valve connected wrongly cost me 2hrs troubleshooting when vehicle couldn't idle properly)

2. Ringing or engine overhaul is a nice and sure way of extending engine lifespan (IF DONE CORRECTLY). Are you sure this was done correctly with standard specs?

3. Did u observe the Break-in period for recently overhauled engines?

4. Leave the battery(non expired) alone for now if it's the same battery that was there when the going was smooth. Also, if ur "otternator" is bad, or having partial charge, there should be a warning signal on the dash (comes up during startup like others and remains lit while others turn off after startup).

5. What else? Don't change ur tires and seat just yet BRO..... grin

comment when u have reviewed the above items! but from where I'm standing.... bro it looks like u might need to rebuild the engine (aunty radu style) or get another one oh. Sounds like serious loss of compression... but let's look @ the bright side... scan might reveal a less complicated issue, maybe a wrong connection!
Pls house, I washed the engine of my Toyota Highlander and it's vibrating and dragging, even not moving as fast as it was prior to washing. My mechanic has changed the plugs and checked the coils but the problem persists. Kindly advise me pls. God bless you.
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by obekediamondfuto(m): 4:12am On Apr 03, 2019
OmoIREFIN:

Pls house, I washed the engine of my Toyota Highlander and it's vibrating and dragging, even not moving as fast as it was prior to washing. My mechanic has changed the plugs and checked the coils but the problem persists. Kindly advise me pls. God bless you.

BRO, ur ride is giving u sleepless nights?
no b small Mata.....

after washing right, I don't promote guess work so ima go ahead and say.... scan the vehicle.... u can get one of these dirt cheap scanners for roughly 3k... the Bluetooth type.... saves a whole Lotta stress....

this particular symptom could range from a whole Lotta issues... so guesswork is highly not advised

BTW it's sounds Like a misfire, ur mechanic could be moving in the right direction just not probing with the right tools!
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by Nobody: 4:15am On Apr 03, 2019
lwise:

I changed the compressor
There you have it. Think back the period in time from when you changed the compressor and when that fault started, if they add up then that compressor isn't suitable for you car.
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by OmoIREFIN: 4:26am On Apr 03, 2019
obekediamondfuto:

no b small Mata.....

after washing right, I don't promote guess work so ima go ahead and say.... scan the vehicle.... u can get one of these dirt cheap scanners for roughly 3k... the Bluetooth type.... saves a whole Lotta stress....

this particular symptom could range from a whole Lotta issues... so guesswork is highly not advised

BTW it's sounds Like a misfire, ur mechanic could be moving in the right direction just not probing with the right tools!
Thank you very much.
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by Bjornson01(m): 7:26am On Apr 03, 2019
Absoj:

Very true, and with the gradient of engine compression loss over the years it will tell harder on smaller engines, take for example a 1.6 litre 110 HP car losing 20% power in 7 years, in opposition to a car with 2.0 litres 180 HP losing the same 20% of power in the same 7 years, which will it tell badly on.?
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by adanny01(m): 7:34am On Apr 03, 2019
Yakeeboy:

Thanks bro go and buy Benz! All these Japanese cars will always give you headache. Since I have been using my Benz I have not visited the mechanic for once despite traveling with the car every time. Since I have dropped all these Japanese cars I have said no to mechanics.

When eventually you start going, you will wish differently.
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by adanny01(m): 7:41am On Apr 03, 2019
PHIPEX:
I had similar experience but the catalyst was the cause, though it wasn't as serious as you described. Your catalyst could be blocked.

Thats a huge possiblity.

However, since the engine was ringed, a blocked catalyst also causes smoking plus i doubt if the engine has regained full power.
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by PHIPEX(m): 7:42am On Apr 03, 2019
erico2k2:

SO it blocks when the AC goes ON and Unblock when the AC goes off grin grin grin grin
Bross Bross
Am not a mechanic but I saw him bring out the catalyst and used sharp object to clean it and it worked afterwards.
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by oyeb15: 8:13am On Apr 03, 2019
simple....just buy throttle spray cleaner and spray your injector throttle. if it dirty, d engine wont be able to carry much load.

thank me later.
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by autologic: 8:45am On Apr 03, 2019
Nawa see loads and loads of confusionist with funny .
suggestions. grin grin
Naija internet mechanic I hail thee!

1 Like

Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by LoneWolf200(m): 9:07am On Apr 03, 2019
lwise:

The engine was ringed recently.I always have issue with the car jacking and vibrating as if the plugs are bad.I recently changed the plugs,service the engine but the situation remains the same . For the 1st 7 minutes of driving,hardly experience any issue.After sometime the car starts misbehaving and get worst if the AC is on.

I'm just tired cry cry

The same happened to me, the car engine needs complete overhauling, and stop turning on the Ac for now to avoid overheating to the weak engine.
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by mikotek(m): 9:22am On Apr 03, 2019
lwise:

I'm just tired cry cry
Have you complained to your mechanic? What did he say? I had issues like that after ringing my car couple of years back (Toyota). I was advised to take the car back to the mechanic to do some tune-ups(timing etc). I took the car back to the mechanic and threatened him to make sure my car was the way it used to, if not, he should be ready to refund my money. I left the car with him for a week.
That was it. Whatever he did I didn't know but my car was back and working fine, no more issues
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by fckmn24seg(m): 9:49am On Apr 03, 2019
mejai:
Check fuel system (clogged nozzles)
check coils
was the compressor re-constructed?
change engine

that's all for now!

Check plugs too
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by TeeFriz: 9:50am On Apr 03, 2019
SleakBuzzPR:

I had this same issue with my Honda 08 last year. Once the AC comes on, it loses speed, vibrates violently on slow running and shuts the engine off. I get to restart everytime and it made me not use AC in traffic for months.

It damaged my wallet cos I spent heavy trying to resolve the issue. I changed virtually all related parts and nothing helped until I met a God-sent mechanic who was able to resolve the issue.

I could help you with his contact. His workshop is at Oworonshoki.

Same thing is happening to my Honda 03, at first It works well then later when it get hot, it vibrates violently.... But in the night or wedding it's always normal and smooth... But most times it doesn't pick on time when I trottle.

Baba kindly assist or tell us what exactly your mechanic changed so I can know what to do or say cause all the ones I have here are just guessing and am scared. Besides my place is very far, I reside in sango.

Thank you
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by ojtopsy: 10:17am On Apr 03, 2019
Yakeeboy:

i beg which spec of benz are you talking about.
Thanks I always have this unpleasant experience anytime I switch on my AC (Hyundai Accent 2008).At times in traffic the car stops completely,I have to switch OFF the car then ON it back.

Can anyone help with the possible solution.

Thanks bro go and buy Benz! All these Japanese cars will always give you headache. Since I have been using my Benz I have not visited the mechanic for once despite traveling with the car every time. Since I have dropped all these Japanese cars I have said no to mechanics.
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by OmoIREFIN: 10:17am On Apr 03, 2019
obekediamondfuto:

no b small Mata.....

You are very right! The scan gave a PO302: 2nd cylinder misfire.
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by ImaIma1(f): 11:01am On Apr 03, 2019
lwise:
I always have this unpleasant experience anytime I switch on my AC (Hyundai Accent 2008).At times in traffic the car stops completely,I have to switch OFF the car then ON it back.

Can anyone help with the possible solution.

Thanks

I had same issue... exact same car. Is it the AC that came with the car? I think I had to get a compressor
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by chozzy: 11:28am On Apr 03, 2019
Greystone:

Several years ago my 2nd car was blowing white smoke thru the exhaust. Mechanics said the rings needed to be changed. My uncle advised me to get a new engine but I decided to be frugal and cut costs. I suffered for some months after changing the rings. Horrible fuel economy.
Honda civic oh...
Always smelling fuel inside the car.
I finally changed the engine. That was wen I experienced peace of mind.

Take my advice: don’t waste ur time and money changing the rings and top gasket.
Change the engine.
Thank me later.

Na wa oo .... so because of Top Gasket one should change engine?
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by stefanweeks: 4:26pm On Apr 03, 2019
joinnow:

Hope you declare the issue to the new buyer
No lie...God is watching
Don't forget the golden rule
Reason I always believe 90% of those selling their cars in Nigeria is because the car is giving them trouble

I told him that the only major work I had done on the car was to change the entire top engine due to the timing belt and valves issue
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by erico2k2(m): 6:54pm On Apr 03, 2019
PHIPEX:
Am not a mechanic but I saw him bring out the catalyst and used sharp object to clean it and it worked afterwards.
You do not need to be one, just read what a cat converter is then applied it to what that mechanic did then you will arrive at an answer which is, you has scammed cos cat converter is a non-serviceable component.
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by erico2k2(m): 6:57pm On Apr 03, 2019
chozzy:

Na wa oo .... so because of Top Gasket one should change engine?
javascript:void(0);
If its really bad you can change Engine if that comes cheaper
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by obekediamondfuto(m): 7:45pm On Apr 03, 2019
OmoIREFIN:

You are very right! The scan gave a PO302: 2nd cylinder misfire.

nice,
to avoid throwing money and parts away...

swap ignition coils and plugs from the 2nd cylinder(do this one at a time) with a known good one like those from the 3rd cylinder. ...

do this with the vehicle switched off...
rescan and see if the error switches to the 3rd cylinder.

PS u have to swap one item at a time and scan at every interval.

do this and let's hope the engine wash did not clog the 2nd cylinder injector with washed up debris.... that will suggest worn O ring.
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by Megadrop: 12:42am On Apr 04, 2019
SleakBuzzPR:

I had this same issue with my Honda 08 last year. Once the AC comes on, it loses speed, vibrates violently on slow running and shuts the engine off. I get to restart everytime and it made me not use AC in traffic for months.

It damaged my wallet cos I spent heavy trying to resolve the issue. I changed virtually all related parts and nothing helped until I met a God-sent mechanic who was able to resolve the issue.

How did he resolve the issue and what did he say was responsible? Can I please have his number I need his services urgently
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by SleakBuzzPR: 6:44am On Apr 04, 2019
Megadrop:
How did he resolve the issue and what did he say was responsible? Can I please have his number I need his services urgently

Unfortunately I couldn't rmbr cos I'm not too technically inclined. But he showed me the culprit. His name is Ayo; 07033088288.
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by Originality007: 4:16pm On Mar 03
SleakBuzzPR:

It damaged my wallet cos I spent heavy trying to resolve the issue. I changed virtually all related parts and nothing helped until I met a God-sent mechanic who was able to resolve the issue. No

Y not just tell us what the mechanic did
Re: My Car Speed Reduces Whenever I Switch On The AC by pointblankeirie: 4:24pm On Mar 03
Possible engine over heat🤦‍♂️

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Help- Vsa/caution Light On 08 Honda Pilot / How To Produce Lubricants In Nigeria / How Reliable Are Volvo Cars?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.