Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,185 members, 7,780,267 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:34 AM

The Rot In Unity Schools - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Rot In Unity Schools (14454 Views)

FG Confirms Closure Of FGC, Kwali, Security Beef-Up In Unity Colleges / Unity Schools: Cut-off Mark For Anambra Is 139 While Yobe Is 2, Zamfara 4, why? / Ohanaeze Faults Fg’s Cut-off Mark Disparity In Unity Schools (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Rot In Unity Schools by MakeItBiz: 9:55am On Apr 02, 2019
Makeitglobal.biz visited King’s College, a premier secondary school in Lagos established in 1909. Signs of rot and decrepitude that make the school a shadow of its past are all over the place. The expansive edifices of the school constructed by the colonial administration, which years back was an architectural wonder on account of their magnificence, have turned decrepit.

Many commentators and stakeholders are agreed that the standard of education in post- primary schools has nosedived in last three decades; but what many do not know is that the virus has affected unity schools across the country.

Investigation by makeitglobal.biz revealed a stunning slew of rot, dilapidation, unhealthy and stinking learning environments, lack of materials for required teaching and low morale in teaching staff.

Learning in unity schools is under serious threat and this is attributable to a lack of consistent efforts by successive governments to effectively and efficiently drive the sector.

Decadence in infrastructure, shortage of manpower, lack of purpose and professionalism by administrators are among identifiable factors responsible for the parlous state of the unity schools. There are also allegations of mismanagement of funds by administrators and other officials of the unity schools.

Makeitglobal.biz visited King’s College, a premier secondary school in Lagos established in 1909. Signs of rot and decrepitude that make the school a shadow of its past are all over the place. The expansive edifices of the school constructed by the colonial administration, which years back was an architectural wonder on account of their magnificence, have turned decrepit.

The colours on administrative blocks, laboratories, the library, classrooms and dormitories are worn out owing to years of neglect.

The infrastructure in the school is being overstretched as the school can no longer cope with the current population of students. The population of students is around 6,000 out of which nearly 400 are day students. No infrastructural provisions have been made to accommodate the growing number of students.

Findings at the Federal Government Technical College, Cappa, Ilesa, Osun State, established in 1988 showed that the students’ population is 1,500 with a staff strength of 150. The classrooms are in bad shape. Most of the windows and doors are damaged.

“These windows and doors have been like this for ages”, a staffer of the school who craved anonymity said. The situation is not different in the unity schools in other states.

The permanent secretary, Ministry of Education, Kogi State, James Adeniyi while commenting on the issue to this e-newpaper, said: “We are really living on a keg of gunpowder that can explode any time. The whole education sector is in crisis, and the so-called federal government colleges are not insulated or immuned from the virus”

John Adebola, program officer at Education Consult, said: “The problem is that the policy makers and the big men in the society normally choose to send their children to Trinity College or Eton in UK, and elsewhere, they do not care a hoot about what happens to our unity schools .”

Abdulahi Danladi, a former director at the Federal Ministry of Education said: “Government has never relented in its effort to improve the conditions in the unity schools, but corruption at different levels in the chain has been the problem. It is not as if money is not released but the problem is symptomatic of the endemic corruption in the system and lack of oversights and inspection. ”

The rot in the unity schools no doubt calls for serious turnaround by government.

https://www.makeitglobal.biz/top-news/rot-unity-schools/

Re: The Rot In Unity Schools by dgitrader(m): 10:09am On Apr 02, 2019
the entire system cant have rots while unity schools are exempted. this is Nigeria!

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Rot In Unity Schools by handsomeyinka(m): 12:14pm On Apr 02, 2019
Am just thinking of the excuse I will tell my children once they grow up that I was mistakenly posted to Nigeria from heaven

6 Likes

Re: The Rot In Unity Schools by otokx(m): 12:16pm On Apr 02, 2019
dgitrader:
the entire system cant have rots while unity schools are exempted. this is Nigeria!

Well said.

2 Likes

Re: The Rot In Unity Schools by id4sho(m): 12:16pm On Apr 02, 2019
When waffi Rats stopped President PMB from performing his executive duties in Aso Villa ,na ordinary unity schools we go dey worry about.

Naija i hail Oooooo

1 Like

Re: The Rot In Unity Schools by megafaraday(m): 12:16pm On Apr 02, 2019
It's such a pity. It's a shame the government is treating education with kids gloves.
King's college and St. Gregory's college used to be on the same level infrastructure wise, but now St. Gregory's college is miles ahead owing to the handover of the school to the missionary

7 Likes

Re: The Rot In Unity Schools by Authoreety: 12:16pm On Apr 02, 2019
Useless federal govt
Re: The Rot In Unity Schools by brightleave(m): 12:16pm On Apr 02, 2019
Na wa.
Re: The Rot In Unity Schools by gamaliel9: 12:17pm On Apr 02, 2019
A friend told me he is a member of PTA that runs the unity school his children attends...
Re: The Rot In Unity Schools by akaahs(m): 12:17pm On Apr 02, 2019
the entire country is in shamble condition

2 Likes

Re: The Rot In Unity Schools by cheerokee(m): 12:17pm On Apr 02, 2019
Visit kiakia.co or text me on WhatsApp 0.8.1.3.0.6.3.8.0.8.9

Re: The Rot In Unity Schools by bong4(m): 12:17pm On Apr 02, 2019
Unfortunately alumnus of the schools are the ones burdened with the responsibility of restoring the schools back to their glorious years despite the fees paid by the students.
Shame!!!

9 Likes

Re: The Rot In Unity Schools by jericco1(m): 12:21pm On Apr 02, 2019
the government can no longer sustain its own

1 Like

Re: The Rot In Unity Schools by anonimi: 12:22pm On Apr 02, 2019
akaahs:
the entire country is in shamble condition

Even with change of four years and next level loading?
Are you saying that APC scammed us

1 Like

Re: The Rot In Unity Schools by uuzba(m): 12:24pm On Apr 02, 2019
handsomeyinka:
Am just thinking of the excuse I will tell my children once they grow up that I was mistakenly posted to Nigeria from heaven
You are prepared to meet God when you die and tell the Almighty face to face, that he made a mistake putting your in Nigeria?
-
Think well before you answer.
I will suggest that you ask him (pray...) what his plan is for you in Nigeria.

(If I said pray now, you might misunderstand it to mean, shouting holololoololo in tongues which has neither content nor meaning).

2 Likes

Re: The Rot In Unity Schools by uuzba(m): 12:25pm On Apr 02, 2019
jericco1:
the government can no longer sustain its own
But we continue to elect same government over and over again.

2 Likes

Re: The Rot In Unity Schools by funsho75(m): 12:25pm On Apr 02, 2019
Okay
Re: The Rot In Unity Schools by Reference(m): 12:26pm On Apr 02, 2019
When we say restructure, you all say no..... enjoy...
My kids will attend the very best anywhere in the world...
I cannot sacrifice my generation to appease ethnic and religious bigotry....
Who have unity schools unified.... are their products not roaming about society like vermins. .. on forums like this making ethno-religious diatribes.

3 Likes

Re: The Rot In Unity Schools by seenter84: 12:30pm On Apr 02, 2019
My heart break for kc

1 Like

Re: The Rot In Unity Schools by uuzba(m): 12:31pm On Apr 02, 2019
Reference:
When we say restructure, you all say no..... enjoy...
My kids will attend the very best anywhere in the world...
I cannot sacrifice my generation to appease ethnic and religious bigotry....
Who have unity schools unified.... are their products not roaming about society like vermins. .. on forums like this making ethno-religious diatribes.
When I go abroad again as I did last time, I will do well to stay away from Nigerians. Infact, so far I know that Nigerians are in that place, I won't go there.
Re: The Rot In Unity Schools by Youngstar76(m): 12:35pm On Apr 02, 2019
Where are the pictures of the rots?

1 Like

Re: The Rot In Unity Schools by dfrost: 12:41pm On Apr 02, 2019
angry

The rot is Nigeria itself, therefore it extends to everything the rot touches (borrowed from Lion King "...everything the light touches..."wink.
Re: The Rot In Unity Schools by stephleena(f): 12:46pm On Apr 02, 2019
Pro-unitate
Re: The Rot In Unity Schools by Distinctnoble89(m): 12:52pm On Apr 02, 2019
uuzba:

When I go abroad again as I did last time, I will do well to stay away from Nigerians. Infact, so far I know that Nigerians are in that place, I won't go there.
am always sad I mean is there a country in this whole world whey bad Nigerians no dey why are we always like this,even when Pple dey travel you go dey hear no stay behind a black guy for que and stuffs like that,are we black cursed what's wrong with most of us.���. and this same thing you said sir have heard it from like 2-3 persons too.they will just say it's save for you not to move with them blacks.
Re: The Rot In Unity Schools by heartradeo: 12:58pm On Apr 02, 2019
Buy Your Laptop - Both US or UK Fairly Used and New Laptop At Most Affordable Prices You Cant Get in The Market

POISE COMPUTERS is Nigeria Leading Market Place Where You Buy very good and working laptops and accessories that comes with warranty without Stress - NO MORE COMPUTER VILLAGE STRESS

BENEFITS YOU GET

- Warranty on all laptops - New or Fairly used
- Doorstep Delivery (extra token paid for delivery)
- Very good hours of batter life
- All Laptops comes with WIFI Internet Enabled
- Pay Online or through Bank Trasfer
- FREE Delivery on Selected Items

BENEFITS YOU GET WHEN YOU PURCHASE FROM POISE COMPUTERS

- PROBOOK 6360T INTEL CELERON 2GB RAM, 160HDD N44,000
- DELL LATITUDE E5410 INTEL COREI3, 250HDD N49,000
- HP 640 INTEL COREI5, 4GB RAM, 500HDD, N79,000
- HP4440S INTEL COREI3, 4GB RAM , 250HDD N59,000
- DELL LATITUDE E5440 INTEL COREI3,4GB RAM,320HDD, N65,000
- HP 1040 INTEL COREI5, 4GB RAM 128SSD, KEYBOARDLIGHT, ULTRABOOK N187,000
- HP840 INTEL COREI5, 4GB RAM 320HDD, KEYBOARDLIGHT, ULTRABOOK N84,000
- HP820 INTELCOREI5, 4GB RAM ULTRABOOK N86,000
- HP9470 INTEL COREI5, 4GB, 180SSD, KEYBOARDLIGHT, ULTRABOOK N79,000

Contact us now to ORDER YOURS!

BUY GOOD WORKING LAPTOP FOR AS LOW AS N40,000. NO MORE GOING TO COMPUTER VILLAGE FOR YOUR LAPTOP. WE WILL BRING COMPUTER VILLAGE TO YOUR DOORSTEP!

Super clean UK used laptops from top brands such as Hp, Mac, Lenovo, Torshiba, Dell, Asus, Acer and lots more. Buy now at affordable price.

BENEFITS YOU GET WHEN YOU PURCHASE FROM POISE COMPUTERS

- Warranty on all laptops - New or Fairly used
- Doorstep Delivery (extra token paid for delivery)
- Very good hours of batter life
- All Laptops comes with WIFI Internet Enabled
- Pay Online or through Bank Transfer
- FREE Delivery on Selected Items

HOT SELLING USA USED LAPTOPS AVAILABLE

- PROBOOK 6360T INTEL CELERON 2GB RAM, 160HDD N44,000
- DELL LATITUDE E5420 INTEL COREI5 4GB RAM320HDD, N56,000
- HP 8470P INTEL COREI5, 4GB RAM, 320HDD N59,000
- HP 8440P INTEL COREI5, 4GB RAM, 250HDD, N54,000
- HP 8570P INTEL COREI5, 4GB RAM, 500HDD,, 1GB GRAPHIC CARD N65,000
- DELL LATITUDE E7240 INTEL COREI5, 4GB RAM, 128SSD, N79,000
- PROBOOK MT40 INTEL INSIDE 4GB 250HDD N48,000
- PROBOOK 450 G5 INTELCOREI5 16GB RAM, 256SSD N210,000
- HP6570 INTEL COREI5 `4GB 320HDD N63,000
- PROBOOK 6450 INTEL COREI7, 4GB RAM 320HDD N54,000

Contact us now to ORDER YOURS!
Re: The Rot In Unity Schools by Focusmind: 1:01pm On Apr 02, 2019
megafaraday:
It's such a pity. It's a shame the government is treating education with kids gloves.
King's college and St. Gregory's college used to be on the same level infrastructure wise, but now St. Gregory's college is miles ahead owing to the handover of the school to the missionary

Thank God for the hand over of schools to the missionaries - I went to St. Gregory College, Ikoyi, Mhen, I could not believe my eyes. See detailing, neatness, ambience and panache. Honestly, I was amazed at the standard the church had set for the school. This is how catholic schools all over the world should be.

Government have shown that they are incapable of doing anything. Peter Obi of Anambra state started the hand over of schools previously owned by the missionaries back to them and we could all see the transformation of those schools and the intense competition among them in Anambra, including stellar performances in external examination.

Archbishop Adewale Martins is doing great with catholic schools in Lagos - St. Gregory, St Finbarrs, St Francis are all top notch. Visit St. Gregory and you would be amazed at the tranquility and beauty of the school and decency of the students unlike the unruly and crude-like behavior of public schools, including the so-called unity schools.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Rot In Unity Schools by memunattdele: 1:02pm On Apr 02, 2019
wonders shall never end

(1) (2) (Reply)

Which Engineering Course Do You Prefer? / Top Ten Signs That You Dont Undestand Evolution At All / UNILAG To Screen New Students For Hard Drugs, Vows To Withdraw Admission If …

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.