Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,048 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:46 AM

What I Learnt During The Commemoration Of This Year's World Tuberculosis Day - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / What I Learnt During The Commemoration Of This Year's World Tuberculosis Day (228 Views)

World Tuberculosis Day / See Photos Of US Embassy Commemoration Of World Sickle Cell Day / Today Is World Tuberculosis Day (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What I Learnt During The Commemoration Of This Year's World Tuberculosis Day by LeoThaGreat(m): 7:01am On Apr 03, 2019
 World Tuberculosis Day , observed on 24 March each year, is designed to build public
awareness about the global epidemic of tuberculosis (TB) and efforts to eliminate the
disease.
In 2012, 8.6 million people fell ill with TB, and 1.3 million died from the disease, mostly in low and middle-income countries.

Thanks to the activities of Ikorodu Diamond Leo Club, I was present at this year's commemoration on Tuesday, 26th of March at Itaelwa Youth Center, Ikorodu (exactly two weeks ago)

The programme which was put together by SHOPS PLUS, US AID and THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT OF NIGERIA taught me the following:

What Is TB?

TB is a type of disease caused by germs. It affects the lungs mostly. A person with TB ailment can get really sick, and even die in some cases (as the statistics above has shown) if they are not properly treated.

How Can One Contact TB?

One can get infected through inhalation (i.e breathing in) of air with TB germs. TB germs can be transferred when a person with TB coughs or sneezes!
**Covers nostrils with the blad of G-zez**

Signs Of TB Infection:

. Cough lasting up to two weeks and beyond
. Fever
. Weight loss (Getting slimmer)
. Sweating at night or during sleep
. Fatigue
. Chest pain
. Coughing out blood
. Etc

When To Go For TB Test:

Walk up to any government approved hospital for TB test if you have been coughing for two weeks or more, even without the other signs mentioned above.

What To Do When You Have Tuberculosis:

Doctors or nurses will give you free TB medicines at government hospitals.
. You will start to feel better as you consistently use the medicine exactly as prescribed...usually a six months duration; unless you want the disease go lurk somewhere in you to grow stronger.

TB Truth From Doctors:

. It is safe to touch a person with Tuberculosis.
. You cannot get the germs from sharing kitchen utensils.
. You cannot get it through handshakes or hugs
. You cannot get it by touching their bed or toilet seats.

The only way to contact TB is through the air you breathe in.

You Cannot Contact TB Through:

. Smoke or when you smoke
. Dirts or if you have not had your bath.
. Dirty environments

TB medicine are the only recommended TB treatment.

Kindly visit your nearest hospital or medical center to know your station if you notice any of the above signs.

NOTE:

. TB can be contacted from infected animals
. TB can be contacted by anyone of any age
. Always cover your mouth & nose whenever you sneeze with tissue paper, handkerchief or your elbow joint, even when you do not suffer from TV

Everyone present at the event got tested for TB and HIV/AIDS.
I was not tested for HIV though because the test tube for was exhausted when it was my turn.

I hope you learn one or two things from my learnings at the event. Kindly share to help others who you think might need to know.

Thank you
Leo tha Great

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Vegans Have A ‘healthier Biomarker Profile’ / 6 Ways To Overcome The Fear Of Confrontation / Everything You Need To Know About New Cancer Vaccine That Fights Cancer In The B

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.