Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,935 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:15 AM

Strange Birds Ate Up 7 Acres Maize Farm! Please Help - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Strange Birds Ate Up 7 Acres Maize Farm! Please Help (1732 Views)

Obasanjo Inspects His Yam And Maize Farm (Photos) / My Maize Farm Made Me Smile This Morning. Photos Attached / Meet Zainab Eze, Student Who Owns 7 Acres Of Cassava Farm (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Strange Birds Ate Up 7 Acres Maize Farm! Please Help by Idemujoseph: 10:09am On Apr 03, 2019
I planted maize on about 7 acres last 3 weeks but the entire farm has been eating up by some strange birds. They brought out the seeds from the hole and ate them. I have really spent huge amount of money in that farm.
I am not going to give up, so I want to plant again. How do I prevent this misfortune?
Re: Strange Birds Ate Up 7 Acres Maize Farm! Please Help by Chepos1(m): 10:20am On Apr 03, 2019
Poison the maize with some chemical b4 planting, thank me later
wink
Re: Strange Birds Ate Up 7 Acres Maize Farm! Please Help by Idemujoseph: 11:28am On Apr 03, 2019
Chepos1:
Poison the maize with some chemical b4 planting, thank me later
wink
Thanks!
Please what chemical can I use?
Can I use rat poison?
Hope the chemical or poison will not affect the germination and yield negatively?
Re: Strange Birds Ate Up 7 Acres Maize Farm! Please Help by Chepos1(m): 12:02pm On Apr 03, 2019
Idemujoseph:
Thanks!
Please what chemical can I use?
Can I use rat poison?
Hope the chemical or poison will not affect the germination and yield negatively?
Although I have not used rat poison, contact those who sells herbicides and other chemicals they will prescribe the most effective one for u. I have used gamali 20 sha and it worked for me.
It won't affect the germination neither will it affect the yield.
Re: Strange Birds Ate Up 7 Acres Maize Farm! Please Help by Idemujoseph: 1:49pm On Apr 03, 2019
Thanks so much!
Re: Strange Birds Ate Up 7 Acres Maize Farm! Please Help by stagger: 5:30pm On Apr 03, 2019
Where did you get the maize seeds from? Most seed companies apply crop protection products on their seeds to prevent this kind of stuff.
Re: Strange Birds Ate Up 7 Acres Maize Farm! Please Help by Shelumiel: 5:51pm On Apr 03, 2019
Employ the use of scarecrows or old car stero tapes. But I prefer the latter to the former.

1 Like

Re: Strange Birds Ate Up 7 Acres Maize Farm! Please Help by Idemujoseph: 10:15pm On Apr 03, 2019
Thanks all
Re: Strange Birds Ate Up 7 Acres Maize Farm! Please Help by okoroemeka(m): 11:11pm On Apr 03, 2019
it maybe birds or ground squirrel,rats but whatever it's the best bet is to scare them off with shiny new Tyre wrappings tied all over the field, everything will run away

1 Like

Re: Strange Birds Ate Up 7 Acres Maize Farm! Please Help by Degis(m): 1:07am On Apr 04, 2019
Did you spray any herbicide especially the systemic variant whose effect last 7 days before planting?

Did you spray the chemical and planted immediately after it?

It may not be the birds, it may be your herbicide that killed your seeds or the seeds had expired. This is my humble submission because birds can’t possibly dig up seeds from the ground that spanned 42 plots of land except African Magic don enta the mata
Re: Strange Birds Ate Up 7 Acres Maize Farm! Please Help by okoroemeka(m): 5:43am On Apr 04, 2019
Degis:
Did you spray any herbicide especially the systemic variant whose effect last 7 days before planting?

It may not be the birds, it may be your herbicide that killed your seeds or the seeds had expired. This is my humble submission because birds can’t possibly dig up seeds from the ground that spanned 42 plots of land except African Magic don enta the mata
atrazine,rain will fall well we'll, before u plant maize on a field treated with atrazine,at least twice rain

1 Like

Re: Strange Birds Ate Up 7 Acres Maize Farm! Please Help by Idemujoseph: 6:28am On Apr 04, 2019
okoroemeka:
it maybe birds or ground squirrel,rats but whatever it's the best bet is to scare them off with shiny new Tyre wrappings tied all over the field, everything will run away
Thanks sir
Re: Strange Birds Ate Up 7 Acres Maize Farm! Please Help by Idemujoseph: 6:33am On Apr 04, 2019
Degis:

I did not spray anything.
What made me fear is that other people farm in that area are not affected and we planted the same time.
Secondly, even the ones that manage to germinate are still uprooted and destroy. That is why I call them strange bird.
Re: Strange Birds Ate Up 7 Acres Maize Farm! Please Help by Teetunz64(m): 6:05am On May 27, 2019
Idemujoseph:
I did not spray anything.
What made me fear is that other people farm in that area are not affected and we planted the same time.
Secondly, even the ones that manage to germinate are still uprooted and destroy. That is why I call them strange bird.
Bro, it isn't birds, it's definitely squirrels or bush rats, I planted maize too and I'm having the same problem presently, I was told by the local farmers in the area that it's Ikun (squirrels). I'm thinking of getting rat poison to kill them, I plan to mix the food items with a food material like bread and I will cut it into pieces and put it on the ridges. You can try that too
Re: Strange Birds Ate Up 7 Acres Maize Farm! Please Help by healthserve(m): 7:41am On Sep 16, 2019
This is strange
Re: Strange Birds Ate Up 7 Acres Maize Farm! Please Help by okoroemeka(m): 2:11pm On Sep 16, 2019
healthserve:
This is strange
stranger than fiction,I laugh when I read post about how easy farming is,I bet the maize farmer did not factor in that he will face problems even before the crops germinate,at every stage there's a problem waiting for you to solve it.he will still face armyworm,stemborer,Weaver bird,grasscutter,human theives ,etc
Re: Strange Birds Ate Up 7 Acres Maize Farm! Please Help by healthserve(m): 2:32pm On Sep 16, 2019
okoroemeka:
stranger than fiction,I laugh when I read post about how easy farming is,I bet the maize farmer did not factor in that he will face problems even before the crops germinate,at every stage there's a problem waiting for you to solve it.he will still face armyworm,stemborer,Weaver bird,grasscutter,human theives ,etc

What a gloomy picture you just painted
Re: Strange Birds Ate Up 7 Acres Maize Farm! Please Help by okoroemeka(m): 3:22pm On Sep 16, 2019
healthserve:

What a gloomy picture you just painted
but it's the inconvenient Truth,I can't forget when we planted cucumbers on a land that was infested by rats,we did everything rodenticide, covering seed with paper,using generator and wiring light bulb all over the land, playing loud music, sleeping and camping at night and chasing them physically,we finally gave up and did a nursery and transplanted it and still the rats came and dug up many looking for what I don't know.
Re: Strange Birds Ate Up 7 Acres Maize Farm! Please Help by healthserve(m): 4:31pm On Sep 16, 2019
okoroemeka:
but it's the inconvenient Truth,I can't forget when we planted cucumbers on a land that was infested by rats,we did everything rodenticide, covering seed with paper,using generator and wiring light bulb all over the land, playing loud music, sleeping and camping at night and chasing them physically,we finally gave up and did a nursery and transplanted it and still the rats came and dug up many looking for what I don't know.

This is really something.
Re: Strange Birds Ate Up 7 Acres Maize Farm! Please Help by EtovalRealEst: 2:39pm On Sep 18, 2019
okoroemeka:
Na wa o odi kwa egu o

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Piggery Equipment and Tools / Which Agric Business Can I Start With 300k Capital / Call For Tractor Plow Services In Nigeria | 50 Acres & above

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.