Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,821 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:18 AM

NJC Recommends Compulsory Retirement Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria Walter Onnoghen - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NJC Recommends Compulsory Retirement Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria Walter Onnoghen (1010 Views)

Walter Onnoghen Resigns As The Chief Justice Of Nigeria With Immediate Effect / Buhari Suspends CJN Walter Onnoghen, Appoints Tanko Muhammed As Acting CJN / Photo: President Buhari And CJN Walter Onnoghen At Armed Forces Remembrance Day (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

NJC Recommends Compulsory Retirement Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria Walter Onnoghen by adaweezy(m): 1:31am On Apr 04, 2019
NJC Recommends Compulsory Retirement Of Chief Justice of Nigeria Walter Onnoghen

The National Judicial Commission (NJC) has recommended Walter Onnoghen, Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), for compulsory retirement.

After deliberating on the petition filed against him by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on Wednesday, members of the NJC unanimously agreed that Onnoghen has lost the moral authority to continue as CJN with the litany of allegations bordering on misconduct.

The NJC — which handles disciplinary issues of judicial officers — sat under the interim leadership of Umaru Abdullahi, former president of the court of appeal, who had to act because Onnoghen was already under suspension.

The council also concluded that Tanko Muhammad did not commit any offence by making himself available to be sworn in as acting CJN without the recommendation of the NJC.

These recommendations have been passed to President Muhammadu Buhari for approval, Soji Oye, the council’s director of information, informed the media on Wednesday, although he did not make the details public.

Buhari suspended Onnoghen on January 25, 2019 following an order made by the CCT. Recall how the Anti-Corruption and Research Based Data Initiative (ARDI), a civil society group, launched the legal move to remove Onnoghen.

The group had filed a petition against him at the Code of Conduct Bureau (CCB) over alleged false declaration of assets.

The CCB is empowered by the constitution to investigate public officers, after which it would forward its findings to the appropriate body for trial if the allegations are confirmed.

It had listed a number of allegations against Onnoghen — notably false declaration of assets.

https://www.lawyard.ng/njc-recommends-compulsory-retirement-of-chief-justice-of-nigeria-walter-onnoghen/

1 Like

Re: NJC Recommends Compulsory Retirement Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria Walter Onnoghen by SarkinYarki: 1:33am On Apr 04, 2019
hahahaha like I predicted the presidency will hijack the report and leak it's version while Nigerians are asleep

2 Likes

Re: NJC Recommends Compulsory Retirement Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria Walter Onnoghen by SarkinYarki: 1:37am On Apr 04, 2019
The council also concluded that Tanko Muhammad did not commit any offence by making himself available to be sworn in as acting CJN without the recommendation of the NJC.

Just Imagine what the NJC is saying ..One of you colleagues dresses up and ruins to state house to get sworn in clear illegality yet you say he did nothing wrong ...The Judiciary has finally rubbished itself and no Nigerian should expect anything from them henceforth including Atiku

4 Likes

Re: NJC Recommends Compulsory Retirement Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria Walter Onnoghen by dunkem21(m): 1:38am On Apr 04, 2019
SarkinYarki:
hahahaha like I predicted the presidency will hijack the report and leak it's version while Nigerians are asleep

Hahaha grin ..

2 Likes

Re: NJC Recommends Compulsory Retirement Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria Walter Onnoghen by Jolite(m): 1:45am On Apr 04, 2019
SarkinYarki:

Just Imagine what the NJC is saying ..One of you colleagues dresses up and ruins to state house to get sworn in clear illegality yet you say he did nothing wrong ...The Judiciary has finally rubbished itself and no Nigerian should expect anything from them henceforth including Atiku
Tell us little about the biafran law, since you are not convinced about the great nigeria NJC accurate system?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: NJC Recommends Compulsory Retirement Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria Walter Onnoghen by BafanaBafana: 1:50am On Apr 04, 2019
That's exactly how it should be. We shouldn't have such a morally bankrupt character heading our judiciary.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NJC Recommends Compulsory Retirement Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria Walter Onnoghen by Marotzke(m): 1:53am On Apr 04, 2019
Na to siddon look.
At what time was the deliberation made.
What manner of fuckery is this?
Even the source sef.
Re: NJC Recommends Compulsory Retirement Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria Walter Onnoghen by bbyby01: 1:53am On Apr 04, 2019
Some good news to lift the spirit after the news of the shame brought upon us by our Okoro brothers in Dubai.

3 Likes

Re: NJC Recommends Compulsory Retirement Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria Walter Onnoghen by ozo13(m): 1:54am On Apr 04, 2019
SarkinYarki:

hahaha u mean the same NJC members onnoghen postponed their NJC meeting indefinitely when he was trying to play saraki kinda smart dodging political game abi.
Lol.if the story is by anyway true, no body will need onnoghen to resign again cos na automatic compulsory retirement them go nack am.
Immediately Atiku lost that election was when I knew the NJC will hammer onnoghen.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NJC Recommends Compulsory Retirement Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria Walter Onnoghen by SarkinYarki: 1:55am On Apr 04, 2019
Jolite:

Tell us little about the biafran law, since you are not convinced about the great nigeria NJC accurate system?

I am A Northerner for your info
Re: NJC Recommends Compulsory Retirement Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria Walter Onnoghen by GavelSlam: 2:22am On Apr 04, 2019
SarkinYarki:

shocked

Re: NJC Recommends Compulsory Retirement Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria Walter Onnoghen by adaweezy(m): 2:24am On Apr 04, 2019
The Nigerian Judiciary is dead

3 Likes

Re: NJC Recommends Compulsory Retirement Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria Walter Onnoghen by kahal29: 2:25am On Apr 04, 2019
Good
Re: NJC Recommends Compulsory Retirement Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria Walter Onnoghen by kahal29: 2:32am On Apr 04, 2019
SarkinYarki:

Why not leak your own version

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NJC Recommends Compulsory Retirement Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria Walter Onnoghen by SarkinYarki: 2:34am On Apr 04, 2019
GavelSlam:

shocked

What is shocking you Mr Man?

1 Like

Re: NJC Recommends Compulsory Retirement Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria Walter Onnoghen by GavelSlam: 2:43am On Apr 04, 2019
SarkinYarki:

What is shocking you Mr Man?

Growing up on a military barracks in Kafanchan hardly makes you a northerner.

grin
Re: NJC Recommends Compulsory Retirement Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria Walter Onnoghen by IvarTheBoneless: 3:02am On Apr 04, 2019
SarkinYarki:

This is why your redmud area can NEVER develop.

You are so ashamed of yourself you deny your heritage.

See how disgusting your UNN hostels are.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NJC Recommends Compulsory Retirement Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria Walter Onnoghen by shugabasbn: 3:04am On Apr 04, 2019
If the man is guilty FG should do the needful, jail and use him as a serious example to the others but if found no guilty he should do the needful as well and let the FG pay him with public apology. No to soft landing or victimization of innocent

1 Like

Re: NJC Recommends Compulsory Retirement Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria Walter Onnoghen by Ratello: 3:09am On Apr 04, 2019
While I await the next reaction of Onnoghen on this case, I still find it funny that NJC can stoop this low in delivering this type of watery judgment. What is going on with our judiciary for crying out loud. I am hopeful that Onnoghen will fight this ....he should definitely

3 Likes

Re: NJC Recommends Compulsory Retirement Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria Walter Onnoghen by Yankee101: 3:11am On Apr 04, 2019
So Buhari don win?
Re: NJC Recommends Compulsory Retirement Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria Walter Onnoghen by kahal29: 3:57am On Apr 04, 2019
Ratello:
While I await the next reaction of Onnoghen on this case, I still find it funny that NJC can stoop this low in delivering this type of watery judgment. What is going on with our judiciary for crying out loud. I am hopeful that Onnoghen will fight this ....he should definitely

Fight who? NJC? At this point justice Onnoghen should know is over him.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NJC Recommends Compulsory Retirement Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria Walter Onnoghen by Ratello: 4:03am On Apr 04, 2019
kahal29:

Fight who? NJC? At this point justice Onnoghen should know is over him.
You already know this judgment compromises your jaundiced sentiment on this case, so I understand you totally. Just watch out on my position........
Re: NJC Recommends Compulsory Retirement Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria Walter Onnoghen by gabolak(m): 4:14am On Apr 04, 2019
This is a win-win situation for the Judiciary and the Government. Good radiant to bad rubbish.

1 Like

Re: NJC Recommends Compulsory Retirement Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria Walter Onnoghen by kotv: 4:18am On Apr 04, 2019
SarkinYarki:

Are you surprised? Ever since APC took over, has anything worked right? Is their any organization which hasn't been rubbishes. Judiciary have rubbishes themselves, displayed so many daftness and embarrassment that this is not a surprise to me. Enough money and fear of EFCC would get them singing what APC wants.

1 Like

Re: NJC Recommends Compulsory Retirement Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria Walter Onnoghen by peacettw: 4:41am On Apr 04, 2019
If he is truly guilty, then the full course of law should be put in place. Nothing irritates me more than a man who knows he is wrong and yet fails to choose the honorable path.

He should have known better and should be made an example of to deter the others

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NJC Recommends Compulsory Retirement Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria Walter Onnoghen by chemgee: 5:02am On Apr 04, 2019
is this one now a victory or rape of democracy?
Re: NJC Recommends Compulsory Retirement Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria Walter Onnoghen by dokyOloye: 5:23am On Apr 04, 2019
kotv:

Are you surprised? Ever since APC took over, has anything worked right? Is their any organization which hasn't been rubbishes. Judiciary have rubbishes themselves, displayed so many daftness and embarrassment that this is not a surprise to me. Enough money and fear of EFCC would get them singing what APC wants.
This is why I respect Saraki the more.
He put up a good fight to maintain d independence of the judiciary.

(1) (Reply)

Corruption - Over $351m Cash Found In Ousted Sudan President’s House / ASUU Blasts First Lady Over Proposed Buhari University / Is The North Cursed?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.