Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,339 members, 7,808,202 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:33 AM

Ajimobi: How Oyo’s Little Tin God Was Humiliated - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ajimobi: How Oyo’s Little Tin God Was Humiliated (15672 Views)

61 Years Ago: How Awolowo Was Humiliated At Independence, But Balewa Intervened / Akpabio: I Never Asked Where God Was When I Made Emmanuel Governor / Congress Fallout: APC Shocks Tinubu, Ajimobi, Kwankwaso, Dogara, Amaechi, Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ajimobi: How Oyo’s Little Tin God Was Humiliated by nairavsdollars(f): 6:55am On Apr 04, 2019
Temidayo Akinsuyi, Lagos

That the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) lost the governorship election in Oyo state to the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) did not come as a surprise to many. After all, power has always alternated between the PDP and APC in Oyo since the return of democracy in 1999. What is however surprising to many is that Abiola Ajimobi, the almighty, outgoing governor of the state failed in his bid to be reelected into the Senate.

He lost the election for Oyo South senatorial district to Dr. Kola Balogun, the candidate of the PDP. For a man so popular to have a broken a jinx of reelection as governor four years ago and now unable to secure a senatorial seat greatly shows how fast Ajimobi’s goodwill has been eroded

During the 1999 election, the late Lam Adesina who flew the flag of the defunct Alliance for Democracy (AD) one of the parties that metamorphosed into the APC, defeated the PDP to and was sworn-in as the governor.

In 2003, Lam Adesina lost his reelection bid to Senator Rashidi Ladoja of the PDP. PDP was in control of the state till 2011 before Ajimobi of the defunct Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) defeated the then incumbent governor, Adebayo Alao- Akala to clinch the coveted position.

In a state where no governor has successfully been reelect- ed for a second term, Ajimobi broke the jinx by winning his reelection in 2015. All governors before him, including Bola Ige, Bisi Akande, Rasheed Ladoja and Adebayo Alao Akala failed in their bids to be re-elected.

Rather than consolidate on his achievements which made him a record-breaker of sort in Oyo, Ajimobi, popularly regarded as ‘Mr. Constituted Authority’ turned himself into a little tin god in Oyo state. According to analysts, his actions and inactions caused the defeat of both President Muhammadu Buhari in the presidential election in the state and that of Adebayo Adelabu, candidate of the APC in the governorship election, who lost to Seyi Makinde of the PDP.

Speaking after his humiliating defeat in the senatorial election, Ajimobi in a statement said “The results of the Oyo South Senatorial District election have been released by INEC (Independent National Electoral Commission) indicating that I lost to the PDP (Peoples Democratic Party) candidate.

“I hereby accept the result as announced. Although there were a number of grievous infractions and established electoral malpractices, I have decided to let go in the interest of peace. I, therefore, congratulate the declared winner, Hon Kola Balogun and our APC Senators-elect, Abdulfatai Buhari and Teslim Folarin. If I lose the ticket and the party was able to gain, then it is nothing to feel sad about. APC has done well but we can always do better. If we won two out of the three Senatorial seats and we picked nine out of 14 federal constituency seats, then we should congratulate ourselves.

“To the teeming members and supporters of our party who came out in their thousands to show their preference for the APC, I thank and urge you to keep the faith especially as we look forward to the governorship and the House of Assembly elections. With the impressive results we currently have, we should proudly go forth with greater sense of confidence and unity of purpose. Let us work together to ensure victory for our governorship candidate, Chief Adebayo Adelabu, and all our candidates for the House of Assembly.”

While a lot of reasons have been proffered for the defeat suffered by the APC, majority of Nigerians, especially residents of Oyo believe that Ajimobi’s bullish approach to issues, his caustic remarks and his lack of courtesy for both the young and elderly, even in public places con- tributed in no small measures to the party’s defeat.

Shortly before the elections, the outgoing governor was seen in a viral video lambasting those who didn’t stand up to greet him at an event. The video, which was said to be recorded at a ‘night of awards’ organized by the Ibadan Recreation Club, Sabo, Ibadan was designed to honour distinguished persons in the society.

Sources said those who didn’t stand up when the governor came in might have been angered by the governor’s lateness to the event. It was learnt that the event which ought to have started around 5:30 pm didn’t begin until around 8:00 pm as Ajimobi was being awaited.

In the video, an obviously angry Ajimobi was heard saying: “I didn’t come here as governor of Ajimobi; I am governor of Oyo State. Everybody, including those who are older and more accomplished than I am stood up to greet me. I noticed about four people, who are nobody, sitting down”.

“Even if a person is young- er than you is in a position of power, we need to respect him or her. What I noticed in those who didn’t stand up to greet us was either out of ignorance or…I don’t want to abuse anybody because I have been accused of doing that. It is not the person that you respect, it is the office. Among those who didn’t stand to greet me are people without job,” he added.

The video, like several others in public domain further exposed the governor as a proud and cocky fellow who talks like a demi-god and acts as if he will not need to beg the same people he keeps vilifying for votes.

Aside that, many believed the way the way Ajimobi handled issues pertaining to the protesting students of Ladoke Akintola University of Technology (LAUTECH), Ogbomoso where he made the notorious ‘Constituted Authority’ remark also contributed largely to his downfall. How a politician will treat the youth, who usually constitute a large chunk of the voting population with disdain still baffles many.

Also, the needless demolition of Yinka Aiyefele’s Music House and the governor’s remarks about the musician’s physical challenges angered many Nigerians, especially residents of Oyo. Though he later retracted his steps and had the building renovated the deed had been done.

For Ajimobi, the last straw that broke the camel’s back was his confrontation with the Olubadan of Ibadan, Oba Saliu Adetunji on the review of the contentious 1957 Chieftaincy Laws of Ibadanland in which the governor upgraded some chiefs to the position of Obas. The policy was widely seen as unpopular and pitched may vocal and influential Ibadan sons and daughters against the governor. Though Ajimobi called it modernisation of the Olubadan chieftaincy stool, but not a few felt he desecrated the stool.

According to Keni Akintoye, a public affairs commentator, “Many say the governor had begun to overrate his own popularity and his political clout due to his ability to break the second term jinx in 2015. What the governor failed to consider is that he rode on the Buhari wave of 2015 to break that jinx as his victory then had less to do with a reward for stellar performance in governance”.

“Moving on, the expectation was that he would consolidate on that victory by winning the people over. But then, he did not feel that he had lost them in the first place. Somehow, Oyo people continued to get the arrogant vibe and the height of it was his resolve to take the APC ticket for the Oyo South senatorial slot and deny the incumbent, Senator Adesoji Akanbi an opportunity to return to serve that constituency”.

Having lost out in his senatorial bid, it has been rumoured that Ajimobi has been making frantic efforts to get a key role in President Buhari’s administration in his second term. But given his ignoble role in the APC’s loss of both the presidential and governorship election in Oyo, that ac- cording to public analysts may be a pipe dream.

https://www.independent.ng/ajimobi-how-oyos-little-tin-god-was-humiliated/

1 Like

Re: Ajimobi: How Oyo’s Little Tin God Was Humiliated by hisexcellency34: 7:15am On Apr 04, 2019
Little tin god indeed. Buhari will be making a great mistake by appointing this talkative into his cabinet. Let him go and rest

9 Likes

Re: Ajimobi: How Oyo’s Little Tin God Was Humiliated by easzypeaszy(m): 7:18am On Apr 04, 2019
Werin concern us from North...una problem
Re: Ajimobi: How Oyo’s Little Tin God Was Humiliated by ehbellsho(m): 7:25am On Apr 04, 2019
Pride goeth before a fall.

3 Likes

Re: Ajimobi: How Oyo’s Little Tin God Was Humiliated by nairavsdollars(f): 7:42am On Apr 04, 2019
park well
easzypeaszy:
Werin concern us from North...una problem

1 Like

Re: Ajimobi: How Oyo’s Little Tin God Was Humiliated by johnmartus(m): 7:43am On Apr 04, 2019
I never see his fault yet.some people just hate to be corrected.

1 Like

Re: Ajimobi: How Oyo’s Little Tin God Was Humiliated by hisexcellency34: 9:37am On Apr 04, 2019
What do u mean?

johnmartus:

2 Likes

Re: Ajimobi: How Oyo’s Little Tin God Was Humiliated by IgbosNIGHTMARE: 10:23am On Apr 04, 2019
AJIMOBI will live to regret for the rest of his miserable life.
He is the worst governor OYO ever had.
I'M happy he was booted out in shame.
Even as I supported APC mostly in the elections, I'M very happy that PDP won in OYO.

The constituted authority fool has now been relegated.
Very rude and arrogant bastard.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ajimobi: How Oyo’s Little Tin God Was Humiliated by Billboyy: 10:25am On Apr 04, 2019
Okay
Re: Ajimobi: How Oyo’s Little Tin God Was Humiliated by Consciency: 10:26am On Apr 04, 2019
na firing squad fit you
Re: Ajimobi: How Oyo’s Little Tin God Was Humiliated by IgbosNIGHTMARE: 10:27am On Apr 04, 2019
grin
Re: Ajimobi: How Oyo’s Little Tin God Was Humiliated by hisexcellency34: 10:29am On Apr 04, 2019
The mofo just used his arrogance affect that young CBN dude. How can you resign as a whole deputy CBN governor and lose like that?
IgbosNIGHTMARE:
AJIMOBI will live to regret for the rest of his miserable life.
He is the worst governor OYO ever had.
I'M happy he was booted out in shame.
Even as I supported APC mostly in the elections, I'M very happy that PDP won in OYO.

The constituted authority fool has now been relegated.

8 Likes

Re: Ajimobi: How Oyo’s Little Tin God Was Humiliated by iammo(m): 10:30am On Apr 04, 2019
smiley

Thrash !!!!

A former Exxon mobil Vice chiarman (west africa) Senator, two terms governor and incoming minister with lots of cash as retirement and severence package is been pitied and rubbished by a nonentity bloger .

Makinde is Now the governor let's see if he wouldn't demolish a building obstructing a major express way in the state entrance because the owner is cripple

Let's see how he would resolve olubadan's quarrel with Ibadan Highchiefs without separating them with multiple smaller monarchy to head their various district

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ajimobi: How Oyo’s Little Tin God Was Humiliated by Rolings: 10:31am On Apr 04, 2019
nairavsdollars:
Temidayo Akinsuyi, Lagos

That the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) lost the governorship election in Oyo state to the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) did not come as a surprise to many. After all, power has always alternated between the PDP and APC in Oyo since the return of democracy in 1999. What is however surprising to many is that Abiola Ajimobi, the almighty, outgoing governor of the state failed in his bid to be reelected into the Senate.

He lost the election for Oyo South senatorial district to Dr. Kola Balogun, the candidate of the PDP. For a man so popular to have a broken a jinx of reelection as governor four years ago and now unable to secure a senatorial seat greatly shows how fast Ajimobi’s goodwill has been eroded

During the 1999 election, the late Lam Adesina who flew the flag of the defunct Alliance for Democracy (AD) one of the parties that metamorphosed into the APC, defeated the PDP to and was sworn-in as the governor.

In 2003, Lam Adesina lost his reelection bid to Senator Rashidi Ladoja of the PDP. PDP was in control of the state till 2011 before Ajimobi of the defunct Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) defeated the then incumbent governor, Adebayo Alao- Akala to clinch the coveted position.

In a state where no governor has successfully been reelect- ed for a second term, Ajimobi broke the jinx by winning his reelection in 2015. All governors before him, including Bola Ige, Bisi Akande, Rasheed Ladoja and Adebayo Alao Akala failed in their bids to be re-elected.

Rather than consolidate on his achievements which made him a record-breaker of sort in Oyo, Ajimobi, popularly regarded as ‘Mr. Constituted Authority’ turned himself into a little tin god in Oyo state. According to analysts, his actions and inactions caused the defeat of both President Muhammadu Buhari in the presidential election in the state and that of Adebayo Adelabu, candidate of the APC in the governorship election, who lost to Seyi Makinde of the PDP.

Speaking after his humiliating defeat in the senatorial election, Ajimobi in a statement said “The results of the Oyo South Senatorial District election have been released by INEC (Independent National Electoral Commission) indicating that I lost to the PDP (Peoples Democratic Party) candidate.

“I hereby accept the result as announced. Although there were a number of grievous infractions and established electoral malpractices, I have decided to let go in the interest of peace. I, therefore, congratulate the declared winner, Hon Kola Balogun and our APC Senators-elect, Abdulfatai Buhari and Teslim Folarin. If I lose the ticket and the party was able to gain, then it is nothing to feel sad about. APC has done well but we can always do better. If we won two out of the three Senatorial seats and we picked nine out of 14 federal constituency seats, then we should congratulate ourselves.

“To the teeming members and supporters of our party who came out in their thousands to show their preference for the APC, I thank and urge you to keep the faith especially as we look forward to the governorship and the House of Assembly elections. With the impressive results we currently have, we should proudly go forth with greater sense of confidence and unity of purpose. Let us work together to ensure victory for our governorship candidate, Chief Adebayo Adelabu, and all our candidates for the House of Assembly.”

While a lot of reasons have been proffered for the defeat suffered by the APC, majority of Nigerians, especially residents of Oyo believe that Ajimobi’s bullish approach to issues, his caustic remarks and his lack of courtesy for both the young and elderly, even in public places con- tributed in no small measures to the party’s defeat.

Shortly before the elections, the outgoing governor was seen in a viral video lambasting those who didn’t stand up to greet him at an event. The video, which was said to be recorded at a ‘night of awards’ organized by the Ibadan Recreation Club, Sabo, Ibadan was designed to honour distinguished persons in the society.

Sources said those who didn’t stand up when the governor came in might have been angered by the governor’s lateness to the event. It was learnt that the event which ought to have started around 5:30 pm didn’t begin until around 8:00 pm as Ajimobi was being awaited.

In the video, an obviously angry Ajimobi was heard saying: “I didn’t come here as governor of Ajimobi; I am governor of Oyo State. Everybody, including those who are older and more accomplished than I am stood up to greet me. I noticed about four people, who are nobody, sitting down”.

“Even if a person is young- er than you is in a position of power, we need to respect him or her. What I noticed in those who didn’t stand up to greet us was either out of ignorance or…I don’t want to abuse anybody because I have been accused of doing that. It is not the person that you respect, it is the office. Among those who didn’t stand to greet me are people without job,” he added.

The video, like several others in public domain further exposed the governor as a proud and cocky fellow who talks like a demi-god and acts as if he will not need to beg the same people he keeps vilifying for votes.

Aside that, many believed the way the way Ajimobi handled issues pertaining to the protesting students of Ladoke Akintola University of Technology (LAUTECH), Ogbomoso where he made the notorious ‘Constituted Authority’ remark also contributed largely to his downfall. How a politician will treat the youth, who usually constitute a large chunk of the voting population with disdain still baffles many.

Also, the needless demolition of Yinka Aiyefele’s Music House and the governor’s remarks about the musician’s physical challenges angered many Nigerians, especially residents of Oyo. Though he later retracted his steps and had the building renovated the deed had been done.

For Ajimobi, the last straw that broke the camel’s back was his confrontation with the Olubadan of Ibadan, Oba Saliu Adetunji on the review of the contentious 1957 Chieftaincy Laws of Ibadanland in which the governor upgraded some chiefs to the position of Obas. The policy was widely seen as unpopular and pitched may vocal and influential Ibadan sons and daughters against the governor. Though Ajimobi called it modernisation of the Olubadan chieftaincy stool, but not a few felt he desecrated the stool.

According to Keni Akintoye, a public affairs commentator, “Many say the governor had begun to overrate his own popularity and his political clout due to his ability to break the second term jinx in 2015. What the governor failed to consider is that he rode on the Buhari wave of 2015 to break that jinx as his victory then had less to do with a reward for stellar performance in governance”.

“Moving on, the expectation was that he would consolidate on that victory by winning the people over. But then, he did not feel that he had lost them in the first place. Somehow, Oyo people continued to get the arrogant vibe and the height of it was his resolve to take the APC ticket for the Oyo South senatorial slot and deny the incumbent, Senator Adesoji Akanbi an opportunity to return to serve that constituency”.

Having lost out in his senatorial bid, it has been rumoured that Ajimobi has been making frantic efforts to get a key role in President Buhari’s administration in his second term. But given his ignoble role in the APC’s loss of both the presidential and governorship election in Oyo, that ac- cording to public analysts may be a pipe dream.

https://www.independent.ng/ajimobi-how-oyos-little-tin-god-was-humiliated/

Trash
abeg make una leave Ajimobi alone, everyone keeps thinking he is supposed to be a perfect person but we all know he cannot be perfect. i will still rate him high irrespective of his talkative nature, he is a great achiever and has raised the bar of governance in Oyo state.

7 Likes

Re: Ajimobi: How Oyo’s Little Tin God Was Humiliated by Nobody: 10:43am On Apr 04, 2019
Continue to cry over spilt milk on their behalf

1 Like

Re: Ajimobi: How Oyo’s Little Tin God Was Humiliated by ImaIma1(f): 10:50am On Apr 04, 2019
johnmartus:

I know you are just kidding
Re: Ajimobi: How Oyo’s Little Tin God Was Humiliated by seXytOhbAd(m): 10:54am On Apr 04, 2019
Interestingly, I wonder how the current administration will perform. I hope they decide to probe ALL the activities of the last 8years.
Pdp is back!
Re: Ajimobi: How Oyo’s Little Tin God Was Humiliated by DavSagacity(m): 10:57am On Apr 04, 2019
The most arrogant Governor in the history of OYO state. The people of OYO state though he's a good man when they voted for him for second term. After he won the election in 2015 he then revealed his true colours . Insulted the Ancient kings and throne of Olubadan. Stepped on so many toes and all along the people were patiently waiting for elections to come.

Only God is the CONSTITUTED AUTHORITY WHOSE REIGN DOES NOT FINISH

5 Likes

Re: Ajimobi: How Oyo’s Little Tin God Was Humiliated by kunmiiii: 10:58am On Apr 04, 2019
johnmartus:

This lazy one clearly didn't read the article! grin

1 Like

Re: Ajimobi: How Oyo’s Little Tin God Was Humiliated by Sterope(f): 11:05am On Apr 04, 2019
Did you read the article?

johnmartus:

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ugwuanyi Awards Scholarship To Agbo Samsom Emeka The Drone Maker / Soludo Renames Anambra Airport To Chinua Achebe Airport / NLC Declares Nationwide Protest On January 8th 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.