Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,760 members, 7,798,543 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 05:22 AM

Onnoghen: The Monies I Received Were Gifts For My Daughter's Wedding, Not Bribe - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Onnoghen: The Monies I Received Were Gifts For My Daughter's Wedding, Not Bribe (33487 Views)

Tinubu Gave Alms Out Of Compassion, Not Bribe – APC PCC / Atiku Reacts To CJN Onnoghen's Petition in CCB / Embattled Justice Onnoghen To Be Replaced By Justice Tanko Ibrahim Mohammed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Onnoghen: The Monies I Received Were Gifts For My Daughter's Wedding, Not Bribe by ijustdey: 5:25pm On Apr 04, 2019
“In his evidence-In-Chief, the Respondent explained that the gifts were made at a time of the marriage ceremony of his first daughter, Oremini Nkanu Onnoghen who got married sometime in 2015. It was not solicited and remains a part and parcel of the customs and traditions of the people. His Lordship tendered a copy of the wedding invitation which was admitted in evidence without objection by the petitioner as Exhibit R9.

Walter Onnoghen, the suspended Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), says some money paid into his account sometime in 2015 were gifts for his daughter’s wedding, and not bribe as alleged by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

In a petition filed before the National Judicial Council (NJC), at its sitting on Wednesday, EFCC had alleged that Onnoghen received money in his account in 2015, alleging that the money was paid to influence the cases before the Supreme Court, at the time Onnoghen was on the Supreme Court panel.

However, in a written address submitted by the counsel to the respondent listed as follows R.A. Lawal-Rabana, SAN; Okon Nkanu Efut, SAN; J.U.K. Igwe, SAN; George Ibrahim, Esq; Victoria Agi, Esq; Orji Ude Ekumankama, Esq; Opeyemi Origunloye, Esq; Temitayo Fiki, Esq, which was scheduled for Service on Rotimi Oyedepo, the counsel to the EFCC, Onnoghen denied the allegation, stating that the money constituted gifts for his daughter’s wedding, in line with custom.

Under the title, ‘Alleged Receipt of Pecuniary Gifts’, Onnoghen’s defence read: “In paragraph (iii) at page 2 of its second petition dated 5th March 2019, the petitioner alleged that His Lordship received pecuniary gifts from the following and on the following dates: Ogunsanya Adewunmi: N250,000 (22/5/15); Paul Usoro (SAN): N350,000 (22/4/15); Emeka Etiaba (SAN): N250,000 (19/5/15); Onyechi Ikpeazu (SAN): N300,00 (19/5/15); Eze Duru Iheoma (SAN): N100,000 (6/03/15)

“In his evidence-In-Chief, the Respondent explained that the gifts were made at a time of the marriage ceremony of his first daughter, Oremini Nkanu Onnoghen who got married sometime in 2015. It was not solicited and remains a part and parcel of the customs and traditions of the people. His Lordship tendered a copy of the wedding invitation which was admitted in evidence without objection by the petitioner as Exhibit R9.

“The Panel will observe that all the gifts of N250,000, N350,000, N250,000, N300,000 and N100,000 respectively were made within the period of the wedding shown in exhibit R9. From the evidence of the petitioner/prosecution itself, there were no other payments made by those persons or by any other lawyer into the account of the Respondent prior to or after the said period of the wedding of the daughter.

“Accordingly, no misconduct can be seen or inferred from the unsolicited customary gifts said to be given to His Lordship. It had nothing to do with the discharge of his duties as a judicial offer. By Rule 13.5(2) of the Revised Code of Conduct For Judicial officers (Published February, 2016) a judicial office is permitted to accept – (i) Personal gifts or benefits from relatives or personal friends to such extent and on such occasions as are recognized by custom.

“The statements of three of the persons alleged to have given the gifts which they made to the EFCC are before this Committee. Nothing in them shows that the gifts were meant to bribe or induce His Lordship in the performance of his duties as a judicial officer. Nothing before this Committee contradicted the statements. It ought to be accepted as the true facts.”

http://saharareporters.com/2019/04/04/onnoghen-monies-i-received-were-gifts-my-daughters-wedding-not-bribe

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Onnoghen: The Monies I Received Were Gifts For My Daughter's Wedding, Not Bribe by fukushaki(m): 6:44pm On Apr 04, 2019
EFCC plus Dss plus Army plus Zombies (No level)By God's Grace, Onoghen is coming back to torment the tyrant
grin

72 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Onnoghen: The Monies I Received Were Gifts For My Daughter's Wedding, Not Bribe by PopeFlatino(m): 7:23pm On Apr 04, 2019
Buhari self cry so Gandollar come be saint abii undecided

59 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Onnoghen: The Monies I Received Were Gifts For My Daughter's Wedding, Not Bribe by hucienda: 7:23pm On Apr 04, 2019
The media trial against this man has been excessive.

52 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Onnoghen: The Monies I Received Were Gifts For My Daughter's Wedding, Not Bribe by sevo(m): 7:23pm On Apr 04, 2019
Your daughter nah princess Diana??

181 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Onnoghen: The Monies I Received Were Gifts For My Daughter's Wedding, Not Bribe by jerryunit48: 7:23pm On Apr 04, 2019
Smart truth now let me see who will debunk that

9 Likes

Re: Onnoghen: The Monies I Received Were Gifts For My Daughter's Wedding, Not Bribe by IvarTheTerrible: 7:23pm On Apr 04, 2019
grin

In his next lifetime, he would protest against piglets' support.

They bring a hefty dose of badluck.

The guy is already delirious and yarning "paparazzi"

He will be thrown this way that way till 2023 grin

50 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Onnoghen: The Monies I Received Were Gifts For My Daughter's Wedding, Not Bribe by Heylius(m): 7:24pm On Apr 04, 2019
Lies from pit of hell.

47 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Onnoghen: The Monies I Received Were Gifts For My Daughter's Wedding, Not Bribe by kiiingemmy(m): 7:24pm On Apr 04, 2019
embarassed
Re: Onnoghen: The Monies I Received Were Gifts For My Daughter's Wedding, Not Bribe by Rubbiish(m): 7:24pm On Apr 04, 2019
They should leave this man alone
The man has no skeleton
How many APC members are this clean?

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onnoghen: The Monies I Received Were Gifts For My Daughter's Wedding, Not Bribe by WilliamsChelster(m): 7:25pm On Apr 04, 2019
Nigerians and Lies.

Tueh Tueh

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Onnoghen: The Monies I Received Were Gifts For My Daughter's Wedding, Not Bribe by Amuocha: 7:25pm On Apr 04, 2019
Great defence cool

Tinubu can not defend his account in this manner embarassed

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Onnoghen: The Monies I Received Were Gifts For My Daughter's Wedding, Not Bribe by naijapips04: 7:26pm On Apr 04, 2019
@bolded So because of 250k na why dem dey embarrass our CJN like this?

My cousin got more in her wedding.

Total gifts no even reach N1M

“The Panel will observe that all the gifts of N250,000, N350,000, N250,000, N300,000 and N100,000 respectively were made within the period of the wedding shown in exhibit R9. From the evidence of the petitioner/prosecution itself, there were no other payments made by those persons or by any other lawyer into the account of the Respondent prior to or after the said period of the wedding of the daughter.

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onnoghen: The Monies I Received Were Gifts For My Daughter's Wedding, Not Bribe by englishmart(m): 7:26pm On Apr 04, 2019
In Nigeria will someone receive up to #2.5b and still tag it "gift"
If gifts exceed #5m, it's bribe

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onnoghen: The Monies I Received Were Gifts For My Daughter's Wedding, Not Bribe by LazyGold(m): 7:26pm On Apr 04, 2019
Hmm I smell lies

They gift you or you stole am cheesy

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Onnoghen: The Monies I Received Were Gifts For My Daughter's Wedding, Not Bribe by Cooladex(m): 7:26pm On Apr 04, 2019
See how the Igbos flood this thread to defend him.

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Onnoghen: The Monies I Received Were Gifts For My Daughter's Wedding, Not Bribe by soberdrunk(m): 7:26pm On Apr 04, 2019
See as Baba dey lie angry

2 Likes

Re: Onnoghen: The Monies I Received Were Gifts For My Daughter's Wedding, Not Bribe by OyiboOyibo(m): 7:26pm On Apr 04, 2019
Onnoghen is innocent..... APC and their stupid SANs are just beating around the bush

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onnoghen: The Monies I Received Were Gifts For My Daughter's Wedding, Not Bribe by la1(m): 7:26pm On Apr 04, 2019
...should have declared as gifts..there a provision for this specific line item on the asset declaration doc

14 Likes

Re: Onnoghen: The Monies I Received Were Gifts For My Daughter's Wedding, Not Bribe by iammo(m): 7:27pm On Apr 04, 2019
Let the gift givers come to testify and let's be sure they dont have pending cases with CJN

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Onnoghen: The Monies I Received Were Gifts For My Daughter's Wedding, Not Bribe by freemanbubble: 7:27pm On Apr 04, 2019
Okay
Re: Onnoghen: The Monies I Received Were Gifts For My Daughter's Wedding, Not Bribe by hemucology(m): 7:27pm On Apr 04, 2019
Okay
Re: Onnoghen: The Monies I Received Were Gifts For My Daughter's Wedding, Not Bribe by OyiboOyibo(m): 7:28pm On Apr 04, 2019
I pity for this man....a man of integrity being treated like
a common criminal... I weep for my country sad

23 Likes

Re: Onnoghen: The Monies I Received Were Gifts For My Daughter's Wedding, Not Bribe by NairalandAngel(m): 7:29pm On Apr 04, 2019
Re: Onnoghen: The Monies I Received Were Gifts For My Daughter's Wedding, Not Bribe by ipobarethieves: 7:29pm On Apr 04, 2019
lipsrsealed sad shocked embarassed sad shocked from farm to daughter's wedding?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onnoghen: The Monies I Received Were Gifts For My Daughter's Wedding, Not Bribe by Optionalx: 7:30pm On Apr 04, 2019
See the nonsense money them the mention sef. Even me for the small position I dey maintain it will be an insult to ‘bribe’ with these amounts. These terrorist Buhari and his minions are just daft and shameless

25 Likes

Re: Onnoghen: The Monies I Received Were Gifts For My Daughter's Wedding, Not Bribe by Kobicove(m): 7:30pm On Apr 04, 2019
This guy is good at spinning lies undecided

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onnoghen: The Monies I Received Were Gifts For My Daughter's Wedding, Not Bribe by Nobody: 7:30pm On Apr 04, 2019
I love the way APC is going about this case... why? because thats the same way all of them will be judged tomorrow.... their whole account will be publicized and we will get to know who paid into their accounts

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onnoghen: The Monies I Received Were Gifts For My Daughter's Wedding, Not Bribe by AntiWailer: 7:31pm On Apr 04, 2019
MusaIbrahim1:
I love the way APC is going about this case... why? because thats the same way all of them will be judged tomorrow.... their whole account will be publicized and we will get to know who paid into their accounts

It is better for the masses.

They will think before stealing

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Onnoghen: The Monies I Received Were Gifts For My Daughter's Wedding, Not Bribe by AntiWailer: 7:32pm On Apr 04, 2019
fukushaki:
EFCC plus Dss plus Army plus Zombies (No level)By God's Grace, Onoghen is coming back to torment the tyrant
grin

Coming back to where ?

He is gone.

Na soft landing remain.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Onnoghen: The Monies I Received Were Gifts For My Daughter's Wedding, Not Bribe by ipobarethieves: 7:32pm On Apr 04, 2019
grin grin grin wink cheesy grin grin grin grin grin smiley wink cheesy grin smiley wink grin grin cheesy grin wink cheesy grin shocked grin shocked baba Dubai! Twale baba kekere

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Army Transfers Corporal Martins To Sokoto For Secret Arraignment Before Martial / Market Women, State Workers Welcoming Governor Adeleke To Secretariat(photos) / Gunmen Attack Chris Uba’s Convoy, Kill Two Security Operatives

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.