Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,838 members, 7,806,359 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:20 PM

76% Of Kenyan Youth Are Heavily Involved In Betting - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / 76% Of Kenyan Youth Are Heavily Involved In Betting (430 Views)

Meet Joash Onyango, The 27-Year-Old Kenyan Footballer Training For AFCON / Easy Way To Win Million's In Betting / If You Have Lost So Much Money In Betting Pick My Games. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

76% Of Kenyan Youth Are Heavily Involved In Betting by olly6559: 8:05pm On Apr 04, 2019
- By July 2019, the betting industry in the country is set to undergo radical changes
- Matiang’i divulged plans by the government to suspend all betting agency licences until the firms provide proof of their tax remittance compliance
- He observed the betting culture was becoming something of a disease among Kenyan youth with 76% of them heavily involved in the practice
- Up to 500,000 youth are heavily in debt courtesy of unregulated betting
Interior Cabinet Secretary Fred Matiang’i has revealed plans to suspend betting licences for firms operating in Kenya from July 1, 2019 after revealing damning statistics on the gambling practice in the country.
The CS briefed stakeholders in the betting industry on Monday, April 1, where he revealed up to 76% of youth in the country were hooked to betting, with majority viewing it as a way to make a living.

“ Seventy six per cent of young people are actively involved in betting and 54% of those actively involved in betting are low income earners,” he said.
Matiang’i said he would push for tough legislation aimed at not only regulating betting among the youth but also drive rogue betting firms out of business.
During the meeting, it also emerged majority of the youth had run themselves into bad credit with many being listed in the Credit Reference Bureau Kenya (CRB) simply because the loans they took all ended in the hands of betting firms.

“We have about 500,000 of our young people who have been blacklisted by these lending agencies who borrowed and are unable to pay. And they borrowed to bet. We are prepared to take any measures to ensure this situation is regulated,” the CS added.
The betting industry in the country has always been a contentious issue, with the biggest gaming firm locally, Sportpesa, briefly involved in a tussle with the government in 2018 over hefty tax.
As TUKO.co.ke reported earlier, Sportpesa stopped a KSh 600 million local sports sponsorship following the imposition of higher gaming taxes in 2018 and this severely hurt various local sports entities including football clubs and the rugby union.
Treasury, however, caved in to pressure from betting firms and a proposal to cut down gaming tax from 35% of revenue to 15% was tabled.
Before then, betting firms were only being taxed 7.5% of their revenue.

Source: www.tuko.co.ke
Re: 76% Of Kenyan Youth Are Heavily Involved In Betting by Unlimitk(m): 8:12pm On Apr 04, 2019
At least they are involved in something.
Re: 76% Of Kenyan Youth Are Heavily Involved In Betting by Nobody: 8:17pm On Apr 04, 2019
All these ads you see Nigerians sharing on NL are games they get from Kenyans. Those guys are good mbok.
Re: 76% Of Kenyan Youth Are Heavily Involved In Betting by Davash222(m): 8:28pm On Apr 04, 2019
Girls that play sport bet are the best. God will continue to bless them for me.
Re: 76% Of Kenyan Youth Are Heavily Involved In Betting by Johntitus: 9:52pm On Apr 04, 2019
Unlimitk:
At least they are involved in something.

My brother and it's legal oo
Re: 76% Of Kenyan Youth Are Heavily Involved In Betting by Johntitus: 9:53pm On Apr 04, 2019
If you try suspending betting in Nigeria, the rate at which crime will shoot up eh

(1) (Reply)

2019 English Premier League Player Of The Year Vs. Most Valuable Player / "I Have No Words For It!" - De Ligt Stunned By Ajax Comeback / Could This Be The Football Club With The Best Anthem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.