Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,821 members, 7,806,307 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:29 PM

How Anthony Joshua’s TV Commercial Inspired Nigerians - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How Anthony Joshua’s TV Commercial Inspired Nigerians (336 Views)

Olasele Anthony Accuses Polaris Bank Of Freezing His Account, Claiming He’s Dead / Burial Of Tonimas: Anthony Obiagboso Enukeme In Pictures / Femi Otedola Celebrates Anthony Joshua's Victory (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How Anthony Joshua’s TV Commercial Inspired Nigerians by themomentng: 6:43pm On Apr 05, 2019
The Nigerian media stratosphere is agog once again as the grandmasters of data, Globacom, releases the follow up to the Anthony Oluwafemi Olaseni Joshua television commercial, where the world heavyweight boxing champion boisterously demonstrated the intrinsic values of having a reliable ally in one’s corner. It was a slice of life that jogs memories about the significance of effective partnerships.

In the debut commercial which was launched on February 1, AJ as the boxer is fondly called, did not only endorse the telecommunications giant, but also drew global attention to the fact he was proud of his Nigerian roots.

“There is always been a big piece of my heart as a Nigerian and I do believe that it is that piece that sets me apart. It always says to me, ‘never give up, dream big! We come from a nation of warriors and that is why I believe in Glo. We have that same tenacity, that Nigerian fighting spirit that makes us game changers! We are relentless. We don’t just face our challenges, we step into the ring to win again and again and again. If you believe in yourself, there is no limit to what you can achieve. Yeah, I used to be a bricklayer in England but now I am heavyweight champion of the world!” declared the boxer.

While the dust of the Joshua commercial, generally acclaimed as a coup in the advertising industry, is yet to settle, Globacom raised the decibels higher on Wednesday with the unveiling of a follow-up to the endorsement campaign.

In the sequel, we see Nigerians from different spheres of life reacting to the quintessence of the message underlying the campaign.

The well produced advert opens with a female student of the University of Lagos watching the first Anthony Joshua commercial. A teenage boy is seen also watching the TVC in his father’s sitting room. The TVC then zooms on fishermen throwing their net into the Lagos lagoon hoping for a bumper harvest and then to a tailor in Aba, Abia State, drawing strength from Anthony Joshua’s inspirational message.

Also shown connecting to the rallying cry by the boxing legend are a group of female basketballers watching the advert on an ipad on the court and students in a classroom setting in Sokoto watching the same message on a laptop.

The TVC also shows a young boxer who, after taking tutorials from the world champion, later won his bout, while a lady executive in Abuja is also shown watching the message on her phone.
From Lagos to Aba, Sokoto to Abuja, the message by the telecom operator is the same. These cities are used to emphasise the nationwide coverage of the Glo 4G which and the resilience of the Glo brand which AJ epitomizes.

Indeed, the boxing icon outlined the characteristics he shares with Globacom. These include “the never-say-die, unlimited, can-do spirit”. He queried: “You need strength?” And then retorted, “Yeah, that comes from the hard knocks that life throws at us. And we are Nigerians, we know all about that”. This symbolizes the philosophy that has set Globacom apart in the telecommunications market.

AJ then goes on to deliver more inspirational lines to show how he rose from being a bricklayer to becoming a World Heavyweight Boxing Champion and also to encourage people to fight to conquer life’s challenges. “You don’t stay down, you’ve got to fight. You have to dig deep to be a world champion”.

He also uses the “Always in your corner” pay-off line to show the support reliable partners can give to achieve one’s goals. The line is a boxing metaphor that symbolizes the succor boxers get from their corners where their trainers will dry their sweat with towels and offer them tips to defeat their opponents.

The AJ commercials are indeed masterstrokes, and underscore Globacom’s tradition of churning out ingenious television adverts.

The clincher in the TVC was when AJ, referring to Globacom, said there was nothing better for a boxer than having a reliable partner in his corner.

Last December, the company won six gold, two silver, and four bronze medals at the 2018 Lagos Advertising and Ideas Festival (LAIF) for its creative television commercials and radio jingles produced during the year.

With the TVCs, the company, on the one hand, succeeded in attracting further attention by getting a global icon to endorse its brand, and, on the other hand, played up the unique proposition which its nationwide Glo 4G coverage represents.

Re: How Anthony Joshua’s TV Commercial Inspired Nigerians by youngestuk(m): 6:48pm On Apr 05, 2019
Champ
Re: How Anthony Joshua’s TV Commercial Inspired Nigerians by Nobody: 7:29pm On Apr 05, 2019
It is not easy to be patriotic to this shithole call Nigeria.He was once rejected after coming back to represent his fatherland.But he was embraced in a foreign land.In Nigeria every citizen have to bribe to partake in sports competition or to get employment in government jobs.
AJ,i am proud of you.

(1) (Reply)

How To Start Mini Importation With Zero Naira And Get 10000 This Week / Life Is Super / Withdraw From Paypal In Nigeria 100% Working

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.