Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,760 members, 7,806,080 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:08 AM

Is It Necessary To Teach Babies To Sit? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Necessary To Teach Babies To Sit? (12503 Views)

Meet Woman Who Had 7 Babies In 5 Years / Lessons To Teach Your Daughter That She Will Never Forget... By Alison Bryant / Is It Necessary To Call Your Co-workers Aunty/Bros? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Necessary To Teach Babies To Sit? by zayhal(f): 12:15pm On Sep 11, 2010
I was with my sister-in-law yesterday. She has a 3 month old daughter. Throughout the time we were together, she didn't want the baby to lie down. she said she trying to teach the baby how to sit down and the little girl isn't doing badly in the training. She sits for some seconds and then goes down on her back.( She was on the bed).

But there and then, I began to wonder because almost all mothers do this, do we really need to teach babies the act of sitting? What if we don't go all the way to teach them, any adverse effect? Will it make them have trouble sitting or delay the normal time they should be sitting?

Answers from experience will be more appreciated.
Re: Is It Necessary To Teach Babies To Sit? by Nobody: 12:38pm On Sep 11, 2010
//
Re: Is It Necessary To Teach Babies To Sit? by Big2bore(m): 11:22am On Sep 12, 2010
At first , why should a mother fuse a 3 month old baby to seat, 2me its too early, at least 4-5 month is ok.
Re: Is It Necessary To Teach Babies To Sit? by zayhal(f): 4:00pm On Sep 12, 2010
tanx chaircover.

Big2bore:

At first , why should a mother fuse a 3 month old baby to seat, 2me its too early, at least 4-5 month is ok.

you know most mothers are anxious for their babies to reach those milestones quickly.

What i'm really wondering about is that, what if the child isn't put to sit at all at either age 3, 4 or 5 months, will he/she still be able to sit at the appropriate time or lack of practise will cause delay.
Re: Is It Necessary To Teach Babies To Sit? by meyri: 6:50pm On Sep 13, 2010
3 months is way to early!!!! 5 months is appropriate at least putting them in that position for a few, but not for extended periods of time. But babies will generally learn to sit on their own when they want to no matter how much you you put them in a sitting position.
Re: Is It Necessary To Teach Babies To Sit? by zayhal(f): 7:02pm On Sep 14, 2010
meyri:

3 months is way to early!!!! 5 months is appropriate at least putting them in that position for a few, but not for extended periods of time. But babies will generally learn to sit on their own when they want to no matter how much you you put them in a sitting position.

Yeah. I quite agree with this. thanks.
Re: Is It Necessary To Teach Babies To Sit? by damiso(f): 6:36pm On Sep 18, 2010
i so feel u on this one.My lil one is 1 this week and she is crawling,standing and attempting to walk but you should see how everyone around me is making me feel like there is something wrong that i have done and that is why she is not walking.It pisses me off to no end.esp my sis in law(i love her but on this issue she grates on my nerves)who takes every opportunity to let me know that her son was walking,reading and eating on his own by 7 months (just joking but i think he walked at 10 months and some weeks).She sometimes just goes on and on about how my daughter is slow for a girl,was grinning happily in my mind when my husband the last we saw that told her that all kids are different and my daughter is not her son.People around you try to make you feel anxious about your childs developmental milestones but with my daughter i have found they do this things when they want to.I too was teaching how to sit at like 3 months cos i kept on hearing stuff(esp in yoruba cant type how they say it)like this girl should be trying to sit up.The poor girl would just fall on her face ,cryand lie down again.I just noticed one day at around 5 months that she was sitting.like that.when she wanted to.So i guess she will walk when she wants to.I refuse to allow people make me feel bad about my parenting and my child's develpoment.Life is a marathon jare,let the gril enjoy her baby days cos it really doesnt last too long.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Necessary To Teach Babies To Sit? by Nobody: 6:44pm On Sep 18, 2010
Re: Is It Necessary To Teach Babies To Sit? by damiso(f): 7:05pm On Sep 18, 2010
@chaircover
thank u so much,i think il trty that tactic whenever she mentions it,she probably will tomorow as tomorow is my daughter's birthday.I just thank God for keeping her,making her healthy and happy,saw a baby the other day with different wires and one cylinder in his buggy,is that what il now start complaining that my baby has not walked at 12 months,sometimes we tend to forget that we are just caretakers and only God keeps them for us.Me i have decided to hand her and all my unborn children to God to keep for me cos i know that i am not capable on my own.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Necessary To Teach Babies To Sit? by tpia6: 7:07pm On Nov 13, 2014

(1) (Reply)

How's Your Relationship With Your Parent / Women Clean House For Their Pastor But Don't Clean Table For Their Husband: Reno / How Will I Deal With A Stepmother Who Loves Swearing,abusing And Problematic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.