Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,707 members, 7,802,114 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:21 AM

Why I Resigned As CJN - Walter Onnoghen - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why I Resigned As CJN - Walter Onnoghen (36818 Views)

Buhari Suspends CJN Walter Onnoghen, Appoints Tanko Muhammed As Acting CJN / Photo: President Buhari And CJN Walter Onnoghen At Armed Forces Remembrance Day / Court Stops FG From Trying Walter Onnoghen, CJN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Resigned As CJN - Walter Onnoghen by Calculating: 11:39am On Apr 06, 2019
Walter Onnoghen, immediate past Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN) has stated why he resigned from his position.

Mr Onnoghen stepped down on Thursday evening, months after resisting. He was alleged to have failed to declare some assets traced to him.

However, this did not happen until a recommendation by the National Judicial Council (NJC) to President Muhammadu Buhari suggesting his compulsorily retirement for the alleged misconduct.

Stating why he bowed out, his lawyer, Adegboyega Awomolo, (SAN), said the top jurist decided to quit because of the judiciary.

“I have just spoken with him. He confirmed to me that he resigned yesterday. He said he resigned in the interest of the judiciary,” Mr Awomolo was quoted by Sun Newspaper as saying.

POLITICS TIMES gathered that the action of Onnoghen, who is expected to retire by 2020, might also be viewed as a step not to miss the entitlements due to him as a public servant if he was dismissed, even though the president will need a two-third majority of lawmakers at the upper legislative chamber to oust him, a task Buhari might not achieve with the present 8th Senate.

The high ranking jurist is entitled to a N2.5 billion cash, a house for him in Abuja, N100 million for furnishing, a number of domestic staff and sundry allowances for personal upkeep — in addition to a severance gratuity that is 300% of his annual basic salary of N3,363,972.50, as well as pension for life.

Onnoghen is facing a six count charge of non-declaration of assets slammed on him by the federal government led by Buhari.

He recently closed his defense at the Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT) with judgement expected to be delivered on April 15.

Source: https://politicstimesng.com/onnoghen-why-i-resigned-as-cjn/

1 Like

Re: Why I Resigned As CJN - Walter Onnoghen by sukerefakere(m): 11:40am On Apr 06, 2019
All I care about is Milan defeating Juventus this evening.

Wetin concern me with water

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why I Resigned As CJN - Walter Onnoghen by Calculating: 11:41am On Apr 06, 2019
Why didn't you resign at the initial stage of the allegation?

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why I Resigned As CJN - Walter Onnoghen by 360degreess(m): 11:42am On Apr 06, 2019
Shame to those online pigs supporting him...hope it's clear to you guys now?

46 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why I Resigned As CJN - Walter Onnoghen by yarimo(m): 11:48am On Apr 06, 2019
PDP, ATIKU, SARAKI, WIKE and UCHE SECONDUS right now grin grin

40 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why I Resigned As CJN - Walter Onnoghen by Calculating: 11:57am On Apr 06, 2019
lalasticlala
Re: Why I Resigned As CJN - Walter Onnoghen by Nobody: 12:32pm On Apr 06, 2019
grin

By the way is Tiwa 45yrs? If that kind ancestor can make a way for herself in life despite her age, that means a lot of people still get hope for this country.

Omo, some people don age o. grin grin grin Ancestor Tiwa

9 Likes

Re: Why I Resigned As CJN - Walter Onnoghen by helinues: 12:32pm On Apr 06, 2019
Ah bla bla bla

If I listen to you

6 Likes

Re: Why I Resigned As CJN - Walter Onnoghen by DMerciful(m): 12:33pm On Apr 06, 2019
We understand the need for a political solution.
You will see how people who have nothing will be excited that Onnoghen is leaving meanwhile he is leaving with well over #2.5 billion that they can never have till the end of time!

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why I Resigned As CJN - Walter Onnoghen by id4sho(m): 12:33pm On Apr 06, 2019
LIAR, no more egunje for stomach infrastructural development. PDP are only good at ranting, who has noticed that Atiku has been silent

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Resigned As CJN - Walter Onnoghen by Nobody: 12:33pm On Apr 06, 2019
Whaaat?? Atiku Be Lyk..... "diz Nigga Don Kill Me, Where My Dolas B4 U Run Comot Diz Kwantri"??

2 Likes

Re: Why I Resigned As CJN - Walter Onnoghen by NaijaOlosho(f): 12:33pm On Apr 06, 2019
cheesy
Re: Why I Resigned As CJN - Walter Onnoghen by sagio09: 12:34pm On Apr 06, 2019
When PDP goons and their apologist where threatening the FG of any attempt to tamper with this Walter of a guy. I don dey think say dey have super powers like USA, N KOREA, RUSSIA, FRANCE, GERMANY all combined. I don't know that they re feather weight chest beaters cheesy.

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why I Resigned As CJN - Walter Onnoghen by freemanbubble: 12:35pm On Apr 06, 2019
The high ranking jurist is entitled to a N2.5 billion cash, a house for him in Abuja, N100 million for furnishing, a number of domestic staff and sundry allowances for personal upkeep — in addition to a severance gratuity that is 300% of his annual basic salary of N3,363,972.50, as well as pension for life.

Imagine all these for one man

I give up on Nigeria

29 Likes

Re: Why I Resigned As CJN - Walter Onnoghen by BruncleZuma: 12:36pm On Apr 06, 2019
I would leave Nairaland for that amount and benefits ...this is not an APC or Buhari win. He collected more than was claimed he did not declare.

6 Likes

Re: Why I Resigned As CJN - Walter Onnoghen by SmellingAnus(m): 12:36pm On Apr 06, 2019
Lass lass na only him and him family go enjoy the over 2billion naira ...see me just dey waste data for person wey dey sure of 2 billion naira and above...

10 Likes

Re: Why I Resigned As CJN - Walter Onnoghen by spako4(m): 12:36pm On Apr 06, 2019
These are the effects of greed

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Resigned As CJN - Walter Onnoghen by hisexcellency34: 12:36pm On Apr 06, 2019
Something you would have done honorably since. But you thought Atiku will win and he will reinstate you as CJN

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why I Resigned As CJN - Walter Onnoghen by Houseofglam7(f): 12:37pm On Apr 06, 2019
undecided
Re: Why I Resigned As CJN - Walter Onnoghen by shollyshine(m): 12:38pm On Apr 06, 2019
Calculating:

so this is what government will waste on one person..kai

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Resigned As CJN - Walter Onnoghen by id4sho(m): 12:38pm On Apr 06, 2019
DMerciful:
We understand the need for a political solution.
You will see how people who have nothing will be excited that Onnoghen is leaving meanwhile he is leaving with well over #2.5 billion that they can never have till the end of time!
This country ehh

4 Likes

Re: Why I Resigned As CJN - Walter Onnoghen by tunjilee003: 12:39pm On Apr 06, 2019
it was good he resigned than to be dismissed
Re: Why I Resigned As CJN - Walter Onnoghen by ictjobber: 12:39pm On Apr 06, 2019
Cos you are smart

I build websites and I am based in Abuja, see my signature
I build websites and I am based in Abuja, see my signature
Re: Why I Resigned As CJN - Walter Onnoghen by id4sho(m): 12:39pm On Apr 06, 2019
yarimo:
PDP, ATIKU, SARAKI, WIKE and UCHE SECONDUS right now grin grin
Atiku candidature finally buried PDP.
if you concur, hit like

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Resigned As CJN - Walter Onnoghen by vibbb: 12:40pm On Apr 06, 2019
Don't worry oga, we all know why you resigned.
Plans in place to pay ur entitlement.
Good Luck.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Resigned As CJN - Walter Onnoghen by fredoooooo: 12:40pm On Apr 06, 2019
Awada kerikeri, oga call those people that promise they are going to burn the country down because of you... bloody cowards grin grin grin

Jail next wink cool

3 Likes

Re: Why I Resigned As CJN - Walter Onnoghen by id4sho(m): 12:41pm On Apr 06, 2019
SmellingAnus:
Lass lass na only him and him family go enjoy the over 2billion naira ...see me just dey waste data for person wey dey sure of 2 billion naira and above...
it is well with my soul. why shall I cry, am still crying sha

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Resigned As CJN - Walter Onnoghen by anytexy: 12:42pm On Apr 06, 2019
Calculating:
because the saga has political undertone. He has to wait for the right body to recommend ...

6 Likes

Re: Why I Resigned As CJN - Walter Onnoghen by Nobody: 12:44pm On Apr 06, 2019
Calculating:

oga we don tire, resign if u want to make we rest
Re: Why I Resigned As CJN - Walter Onnoghen by MobilityExpress: 12:44pm On Apr 06, 2019
Calculating:

If the CJN is getting all this, then only God knows what our former Presidents , ex-Governors and representatives are getting, not to mention ministers and other heads of parastatals, and then we wonder why Nigeria is still a poor 3rd world nation where the poor live with less than $1 per day. The Nigerian government is too costly to run. The day we cut down our government is the day we begin to experience real economic growth

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why I Resigned As CJN - Walter Onnoghen by bionixs: 12:45pm On Apr 06, 2019
Calculating:
if you are for real on this jungle justice,you are jinxed. Those who had all these planned out know that it wasnt for what we were made to believe. Senseless People like you are the reason why politicians deem all of us fools in Nigeria

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Jimoh Ibrahim Visits Bola Tinubu In Abuja (Photo) / Farooq Kperogi: How APC Can Solve Its Tinubu Problem / Boko Haram Reacts To Trump's Victory, Says 'war Has Just Begun'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.