Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,342 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:37 AM

Bode Thomas: How Nigerian Lawyer Died Mysteriously After Insulting Alaafin - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Bode Thomas: How Nigerian Lawyer Died Mysteriously After Insulting Alaafin (66499 Views)

King Onwa 'Eze Awo' Disgraced For Insulting Imo King Online. Photos/Videos / Ooni Performs Ifa Festival Where Kolanut Is Mysteriously Swallowed By Ground(piç / Bode Thomas Died Of Barking After Insulting Alaafin Of Oyo. How True? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bode Thomas: How Nigerian Lawyer Died Mysteriously After Insulting Alaafin by Offpoint: 6:14pm On Apr 06, 2019
LazyGold:

Watch this Video of where Ooni of Ife call down rain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmrCuNRCK-U
Lol, any magician "Mind benders" can do that... show me a video of him receiving a thousand rounds from high caliber rifle without a scratch, then I'll change my mind.

I've watched thousands of tricks videos, all those techniques don't fool me

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bode Thomas: How Nigerian Lawyer Died Mysteriously After Insulting Alaafin by cococandy(f): 6:14pm On Apr 06, 2019
Sounds like rabies

Mor0ns

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bode Thomas: How Nigerian Lawyer Died Mysteriously After Insulting Alaafin by BiafraIsFree: 6:15pm On Apr 06, 2019
He is a Yoruba scammer.
trusted:

HOW MANY OF YOUR FAMILY HAVE U HELP WITH THIS?
Re: Bode Thomas: How Nigerian Lawyer Died Mysteriously After Insulting Alaafin by capitalzero: 6:15pm On Apr 06, 2019
PublicHealthNig:
The intrigues and the power play in the Nigerian political sphere did not begin today I stumbled on this story on @Ngrfacts on twitter investigated deeper and decided to share .

Olabode Akanbi Thomas was born to the family of Andrew Thomas, a wealthy trader and auctioneer who was originally from Oyo but migrated to Lagos. He attended C.M.S. Grammar School, a missionary school founded by Thomas Babington Macaulay and James Pinson Labulo Davies. After completing his studies, he served as a junior clerk at the Nigerian Railway Corporation but towards the end of the year, he resigned his appointment and went to London to study law. He was called to the bar in 1942 and returned to Nigeria to establish what became a successful practice in Lagos.

According to many accounts, Bode was an excellent lawyer who was however arrogant. Due to his education Thomas was made the chairman of the Oyo Divisional Council at a time when the Oba Adeyemi (the father of the current Alaafin) was still a member.
At its Inaugural meeting of the council, Thomas arrived and all the other councilors, except Oba Adeyemi, stood up to welcome him. He rudely told the king “WHY WERE YOU SITTING WHEN I WALKED IN? WHY CANT YOU SHOW ME RESPECT?” At that time Bode was 34 years old while the Alaafin was in his 60s. The Alaafin felt very insulted. he told Bode “SHEY EMI ON GBO MO BAUN? EMI NI ONGBO BI AJA MO BAUN{ IS IT ME YOU ARE BARKING AT LIKE THAT? IS IT ME YOU ARE BARKING LIKE A DOG AT LIKE THAT? KEEP BARKING.”
That was on 22nd November 1953. It was reported that Bode Thomas got home and started barking. He barked and barked and barked all night. Then he died. He died on 23 November 1953.

visit
Source:https://www.publichealth.com.ng/bode-thomas-how-famous-nigerian-lawyer-died-mysteriously-after-insulting-alaafin-in-1953/

the same Alaafin that was dethroned few years later.
Re: Bode Thomas: How Nigerian Lawyer Died Mysteriously After Insulting Alaafin by Offpoint: 6:17pm On Apr 06, 2019
femi4:
O dẹ̀ ma gbó kú ní
Stop wasting your time bro... perhaps you should try something hardergringrin

1 Like

Re: Bode Thomas: How Nigerian Lawyer Died Mysteriously After Insulting Alaafin by Offpoint: 6:19pm On Apr 06, 2019
femi4:
O dẹ̀ ma gbó kú ní
Try commanding MtN data into your phone, that'll be very commendable.

1 Like

Re: Bode Thomas: How Nigerian Lawyer Died Mysteriously After Insulting Alaafin by signz: 6:20pm On Apr 06, 2019
WisdomFlakes:

He was a prominent founding member of Action Group which was the leading/ruling party in the Western Region and he was Awolowo's bossom friend, before his untimely death. His death led the Action Group to dethrone the Alaafin, sending him on exile.

I read that Awolowo was so angry that he not only dethrone Alafin, he raised the Ooni relevance ahead of the Alafin.

2 Likes

Re: Bode Thomas: How Nigerian Lawyer Died Mysteriously After Insulting Alaafin by haryomikun(m): 6:21pm On Apr 06, 2019
Kendumazy:
Indomie generations arguing that there is no jazz. You wanna confirm? Go and say nonsense to a king.
but whites did not only say nonsense. they deposed your kings and nothing happened
Re: Bode Thomas: How Nigerian Lawyer Died Mysteriously After Insulting Alaafin by millionboi2: 6:22pm On Apr 06, 2019
Bede2u:
I tell u bro....illetracy in nigeria is high. U know some educated people here actually think the man was jazzed....chai. i need to leave this country asap
to b a slave in anoda man land?

1 Like

Re: Bode Thomas: How Nigerian Lawyer Died Mysteriously After Insulting Alaafin by geezynoni: 6:22pm On Apr 06, 2019
InaNla:
video evidence...
or adonbilivit
Re: Bode Thomas: How Nigerian Lawyer Died Mysteriously After Insulting Alaafin by LazyGold(m): 6:23pm On Apr 06, 2019
Offpoint:

Lol, any magician "Mind benders" can do that... show me a video of him receiving a thousand rounds from high caliber rifle without a scratch, then I'll change my mind.

I've watched thousands of tricks videos, all those techniques don't fool me

The Europeans have their Traditional Gods and Witchcraft too and that was not a Trick. That was a traditional festival celebration, you can believe whatever you like but saying the Europeans didn't once have their traditional Gods and practice witchcraft is just Ignorance

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traditional_witchcraft

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Traditional_Wicca even some of them still practice it

1 Like

Re: Bode Thomas: How Nigerian Lawyer Died Mysteriously After Insulting Alaafin by WisdomFlakes: 6:27pm On Apr 06, 2019
ogbonti:

Who saw him barkin like a dog before he died?

I confirmed the veracity of the story during a recent encounter I had with an elderly member of his family at his (Bode Thomas) family compound in Oyo town.
Re: Bode Thomas: How Nigerian Lawyer Died Mysteriously After Insulting Alaafin by WisdomFlakes: 6:28pm On Apr 06, 2019
signz:

I read that Awolowo was so angry that he not only dethrone Alafin, he raised the Ooni relevance ahead of the Alafin.

That's correct.
Re: Bode Thomas: How Nigerian Lawyer Died Mysteriously After Insulting Alaafin by planetx: 6:31pm On Apr 06, 2019
LazyGold:

You are just ignorant. You can go and Research it

Watch this Video of Ooni of Ife calling down Rain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmrCuNRCK-U
What rain...I can't see any rain falling in the video.
Re: Bode Thomas: How Nigerian Lawyer Died Mysteriously After Insulting Alaafin by slimderek(m): 6:32pm On Apr 06, 2019
The fact that this keeps making Nairaland front page makes it a myth
Re: Bode Thomas: How Nigerian Lawyer Died Mysteriously After Insulting Alaafin by CioAngels(f): 6:33pm On Apr 06, 2019
jchioma:
Wait. Is it the same popular Bode Thomas of Surulere Lagos?
It has to be, as that's the only Bode Thomas in Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Bode Thomas: How Nigerian Lawyer Died Mysteriously After Insulting Alaafin by AreaFada2: 6:33pm On Apr 06, 2019
LazyGold:
If you want to die Young go and disrespect a Yoruba King, you dare not try it with Chief talk less of King
Correct. When I was a kid an arrogant police DSP went to arrest a man "suspected" of doing juju for robbers in a town. Actually he was just arresting and shooting "suspects" anyhow. With his pistol ready in his hand he burst into the house. People ran to the Palace to inform the Duke.

The Duke was alarmed and went to the scene. The duke informed him that as a matter of courtesy, if he did not find the suspect, custom demands that he should come to the Palace. That he can produce anybody in his domain to the police if needs be.

But the DSP talked down on the Duke. Boasting that had he seen any moving thing in the house, he would have shot it at first sight. Warning the Duke that if he didn't produce him, he would come and kill people in the town. The Duke was really angered. Returned to the Palace, got out ancient relics and openly swore for the DSP. Telling him his cup Was full.

The Duke then sent the "suspect" to the AIG with a lawyer to face whatever he was accused of. Nothing could be proven against him and was told to go back home.

Within 21 days the DSP was arrested for protecting armed robbers in return for huge money. Armed robbers testified against him. He was tried and executed in 1986.

Anyone who was old enough in 1986 should know what I am talking about. It was national news for months back then. But only few know the background story. I knew because the Duke was a close relative.

3 Likes

Re: Bode Thomas: How Nigerian Lawyer Died Mysteriously After Insulting Alaafin by BiafraIsFree: 6:34pm On Apr 06, 2019
Yoruba your judgment is doing press up.
LazyGold:

What's this one saying? Have you taken your drug today?
Yoruba let my people go.

Re: Bode Thomas: How Nigerian Lawyer Died Mysteriously After Insulting Alaafin by Uyi168: 6:35pm On Apr 06, 2019
LazyGold:

Do you know that the Ooni of Ife can call down rain?
...yet couldn't call down the Europeans

1 Like

Re: Bode Thomas: How Nigerian Lawyer Died Mysteriously After Insulting Alaafin by Kursk2019(m): 6:35pm On Apr 06, 2019
Africamagic
Re: Bode Thomas: How Nigerian Lawyer Died Mysteriously After Insulting Alaafin by tunjilee003: 6:35pm On Apr 06, 2019
Buliwyf:
All these myths and legends self. This nairaland and fake stories that cannot be corroborated.
it is not a fake story dude,it is true.. my grandfather once told me about the story
Re: Bode Thomas: How Nigerian Lawyer Died Mysteriously After Insulting Alaafin by snoopz: 6:35pm On Apr 06, 2019
dis one mad o
Re: Bode Thomas: How Nigerian Lawyer Died Mysteriously After Insulting Alaafin by Offpoint: 6:36pm On Apr 06, 2019
LazyGold:

The Europeans have their Traditional Gods and Witchcraft too and that was not a Trick. That was a traditional festival celebration, you can believe whatever you like but saying the Europeans didn't once have their traditional Gods and practice witchcraft is just Ignorance

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traditional_witchcraft

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Traditional_Wicca even some of them still practice it

So you're saying the British gods were more power than your ancestors gods? gringringringrin

So when the British invaded, your ancestors gods were peeing their pants and flee for their lives leaving your ancestors behind to their fates.... gringrin it's been long they've been clueless.
Re: Bode Thomas: How Nigerian Lawyer Died Mysteriously After Insulting Alaafin by Mitsurugi(m): 6:37pm On Apr 06, 2019
ednut1:
Fallacy. The useless kings could not command whites to run mad or bark like dogs. The man had rabies end of story.

Go and tell the Alaafin! grin

1 Like

Re: Bode Thomas: How Nigerian Lawyer Died Mysteriously After Insulting Alaafin by Freegift75: 6:37pm On Apr 06, 2019
The story is true. BODE THOMAS was taken to IJEBU IGBO for treatment. He was eventually healed by BABA OJUMOKAN in Ijebu Igbo. Few days for him to be discharged, in the morning while reading paper, some assasin arrived and assasinated him on the chair. The incident occurred just the following morning that Obafemi Awolowo just visited him and certified healthy.

As a result, BABA OJUMOKAN in OJOWO Ijebbu Igbo committed suicide before the return of AWOLOWO.

The story is true and living witnesses are still available in Ijebu Igbo for detail confirmation.
Re: Bode Thomas: How Nigerian Lawyer Died Mysteriously After Insulting Alaafin by slimdamatrix1(m): 6:38pm On Apr 06, 2019
Scary! Is this story real? undecided
Re: Bode Thomas: How Nigerian Lawyer Died Mysteriously After Insulting Alaafin by iragbmite: 6:41pm On Apr 06, 2019
Superstitious nonsense. I am sure Bode Thomas did not bark.
Re: Bode Thomas: How Nigerian Lawyer Died Mysteriously After Insulting Alaafin by Smhaykins(m): 6:41pm On Apr 06, 2019
Zico5:
Religion apart, there is supernatural power for kings especially foremost kings like Ooni, Alaafin, and other prominent kings in Yoruba land. If they use their stool and some ancient artifacts they have to curse u, u will be miserable for the rest of ur life. That's why I pity some of those people on nairaland that talk anyhow to kings cos this is a faceless group. The day ur cup will be full then u will know power is still in existence.

many Nigerians r already living a miserable lyf without bin cursed
Re: Bode Thomas: How Nigerian Lawyer Died Mysteriously After Insulting Alaafin by LazyGold(m): 6:43pm On Apr 06, 2019
Offpoint:

So you're saying the British gods were more power than your ancestors gods? gringringringrin

So when the British invaded, your ancestors gods were peeing their pants and flee for their lives leaving your ancestors behind to their fates.... gringrin it's been long they've been clueless.

Power is greater than power, and Gods are more powerful than Gods. If you are a Christian, God forsaken the Jews and allowed them to be Enslaved, Jesus Christ was persecuted by men despite all his supernatural power. Even in the Bible there was record of witchcraft and paganism, the World is complicated

3 Likes

Re: Bode Thomas: How Nigerian Lawyer Died Mysteriously After Insulting Alaafin by Nobody: 6:45pm On Apr 06, 2019
ednut1:
Fallacy. The useless kings could not command whites to run mad or bark like dogs. The man had rabies end of story.
Do you think the whites are just ordinary beings like that and don't possess metaphysical powers?
I beg you don't disrespect elders unless to ba Fe jeyan ni isu or to ba Fe gborun ara e.
If you no know you go know.
Re: Bode Thomas: How Nigerian Lawyer Died Mysteriously After Insulting Alaafin by jchioma: 6:46pm On Apr 06, 2019
femi4:
yes, he was a brilliant lawyer

Waoh! I didn't know he was from Oyo. The guy must have been very brilliant to be that famous.

It's a pity he died at such a young age.
Re: Bode Thomas: How Nigerian Lawyer Died Mysteriously After Insulting Alaafin by Offpoint: 6:47pm On Apr 06, 2019
LazyGold:

Power is greater than power, and Gods are powerful than Gods. If you are a Christian, God forsaken the Jews and allowed them to be Enslaved, Jesus Christ was persecuted by men despite all his supernatural power. Even in the Bible there was record of witchcraft and paganism, the World is complicated
grin God did not forsake anybody, they were serving punishment for their sins...

Jesus persecution was a prophecy, a choice.

What was your ancestors crime?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Emir Sanusi Receives 4th Wife, Sa’adatu Barkindo Mustapha After Graduation / Warri: The Urhobo/Isoko People In Entertainment And The Warri Brand / Igbinedion Gifts Tiger To Oba Of Benin, Ewuare & It Roars At People (Video,Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.