Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,646 members, 7,801,878 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:22 AM

How To Estimate The Cost of A Mini construction Project - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How To Estimate The Cost of A Mini construction Project (2249 Views)

How To Estimate The Amount Of Cement And Sand Needed For Laying Blocks / How To Estimate The Quantity Of Blocks, Cement And Sand For Your Diy Project / 6 Tips To Estimate The Cost Of Building A Duplex In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Estimate The Cost of A Mini construction Project by uwemjack(m): 9:00am On Apr 07, 2019
This thread is basically to educate you on how you can more accurately estimate the cost of your project before hand. To guide your negotiation with your artisan.
I will be doing this using a simple design, which will be posted here.
Questions on specific cost related items will also be addressed.
Re: How To Estimate The Cost of A Mini construction Project by sexy74(m): 9:24am On Apr 07, 2019
uwemjack:
This thread is basically to educate you on how you can more accurately estimate the cost of your project before hand. To guide your negotiation with your artisan.
I will be doing this using a simple design, which will be posted here.
Questions on specific cost related items will also be addressed.
Nice one, I will appreciate if you could talk about fencing a compound of about 550sq meters, block wrk and cement required
Re: How To Estimate The Cost of A Mini construction Project by qwertyboss(m): 9:27am On Apr 07, 2019
following...
Re: How To Estimate The Cost of A Mini construction Project by madprophet(m): 10:42am On Apr 07, 2019
Following
Re: How To Estimate The Cost of A Mini construction Project by uwemjack(m): 12:01pm On Apr 07, 2019
Starting with...
cost of construction for a fence

There are three elements in the fence construction namely
1. Foundation (part hidden in the ground)
2. Superstructure (parts visible above the ground)
3. Finishing (parts that make the wall beautiful)

Foundation - this involves
Option 1 (where a concrete beam is required)
- Excavating, leveling and compacting
- earthwork support (only applicable where the foundation is deep and or the earth is loose)
- concrete blinding (to have a level and solid working surface, also serves as cover for reinforcement or iron, this is not required in all cases)
- formwork for the concrete beam (timber/planks)
- reinforcement or iron
- concrete beam (cement, sand and granite)
Option 2 (no concrete beam)
- Excavation, levelling and compacting
- Concrete footing/blinding
- Blockwork

Superstructure - This involves
- the columns (tied to the foundation beam and divides the wall into bays, it could be with blocks or concrete)
- the block wall
- concrete coping (if desired)

Finishing - this involves
- plastering to the walls
- painting to the walls
- concertina barbed wire or electric fence wire (if your budget carries it)

For my cost calculation i will make the following assumptions;
1. My fence is 10 meters long
2. There is a concrete ground beam
3. There are concrete columns at intervals of 3meters
4. The height of my fence from the natural ground level is 2.5 meters

Re: How To Estimate The Cost of A Mini construction Project by essenceplus: 3:03pm On Apr 21, 2019
Can you help me in making this projection?

Cost of fencing

1. 3 plots

2. 1 Acre

3. 2 Acres
Re: How To Estimate The Cost of A Mini construction Project by uwemjack(m): 3:56pm On Apr 21, 2019
Foundation
The drawing below is a section through the foundation of the fence.

Cost of excavation
This can be calculated using the length of the fence or the volume of excavation
If length is 10m then cost at N500 per m assuming the earth is not hard makes it N5,000
Using volume which is 0.6 x 0.7 x 10m = 4.2m3
Cost of excavation at ₦1,200/m3 = ₦5,040

Cost of blinding and inverted T-concret beam
Volume of concrete blinding = 0.7 x 0.05 x 10m = 0.35m3
Concrete in inverted T-beam = (0.1 x 0.7 x 10m)+(0.4 x 0.23 x 10m) = 1.62m3
Total concrete in foundation = 1.62 + 0.35 = 1.97m3 approximately 2m3
Cost of 1m3 of concrete based on data = ₦32,000/m3
Cost = 32,000 x 2 = ₦64,000

Cost of reinforcement
Since the reinforcement is not much i will use a factor of 80kg per m3 of concrete. In this case 1.62m3 of concrete will give 130kg of reinforcement
1000kg cost ₦230,000 to buy,
Ironbender will collect ₦20,000 for every 1000kg
And he will use approximately N10,000 worth of binding wire. Adding all up we have ₦260,000/1000kg
So 130kg will cost me ₦33,800

Cost of formwork
Total of 13 nr 1 x 12 planks required at ₦1,500 each; = ₦18,000
Total of 30 nr of 2 x 4 planks at ₦500 each; = ₦15,000
Nails of ₦1,500 required
Carpenter will collect ₦500/m² ; = ₦5,000
Total on formwork = ₦39,500 for 10 metres

Summary
Cost of 10meter foundation = N142,300
Therefore 1meter foundation = N14,230

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: How To Estimate The Cost of A Mini construction Project by uwemjack(m): 4:40pm On Apr 21, 2019
Superstructure
Block wall
Area for blockwall = 2.5 x 10 = 25m2
In 25m2 of wall there is approximately 225pieces of blocks each costing ₦240
Total cost of blocks = ₦54,000
Bags of cement required for setting 225 pieces of blocks is 5 bags, each costing ₦2,600
Total cost of cement =₦13,000
3tons of sand is required to set 225 pieces of blocks
20tons of sand cost ₦50,000 there required sand will cost ₦7,500
Cost of blocksetting for 10m of fence is ₦74,500
Cost of same for 1meter is ₦7,450

Columns
There are 4 columns in my designed length
Concrete in 4 column = 0.53m3
Reinforcement in column = 80 x 0.53 = 42.4kg
Formwork to sides of column, each column needs 2 planks, total of 8planks required at ₦1500 each, labour with other materials should be around ₦640
Cost for columns
Concrete = 0.53 x ₦32,000 = ₦16,960
Reinforcement = 42.4 x ₦260 = ₦11,024
Formwork = 8 x ₦2,100 =₦16,800
Total is ₦44,784 for 10m
1 metre of fence will cost ₦4,478 in columns

Summary
The superstructure of the fence block setting and columns only will cost ₦11,928 per metre

1 Like

Re: How To Estimate The Cost of A Mini construction Project by uwemjack(m): 5:02pm On Apr 21, 2019
Usually on most of our private lands we only do the substructure and superstructure to secure the land. Finishing only comes into play when we move in, as such i will leave this calculation at this level.

In summary to arrive at an estimate of what it would cost you to build a fence around the perimeter of land you can use this estimate.
First measure out the perimeter of the land in metres, then multiply by the cost calculated above.
From my calculation s above a fence based on my designed example will cost ₦26,158 per m² to build.

1 Like

Re: How To Estimate The Cost of A Mini construction Project by uwemjack(m): 5:09pm On Apr 21, 2019
Example:
From the design plan shown, the total perimeter of the site is = 29.4+13.7+26+13.2= 82.3m
The cost of fencing the plot will then be
82.3 x ₦26,158 = ₦2,152,803.

based on the height of the proposed fence, as well as the type of foundation to be used the rate (₦26,158) will vary i.e be more or less

1 Share

Re: How To Estimate The Cost of A Mini construction Project by uwemjack(m): 5:11pm On Apr 21, 2019
You can use data provided to make a projection.
Cheers
essenceplus:
Can you help me in making this projection?

Cost of fencing

1. 3 plots

2. 1 Acre

3. 2 Acres
Re: How To Estimate The Cost of A Mini construction Project by essenceplus: 5:12pm On Apr 21, 2019
uwemjack:
You can use data provided to make a project.

is the data meant for fun ?
Re: How To Estimate The Cost of A Mini construction Project by uwemjack(m): 5:12pm On Apr 21, 2019
You can use data provided to make a projection.
Cheers
sexy74:

Nice one, I will appreciate if you could talk about fencing a compound of about 550sq meters, block wrk and cement required
Re: How To Estimate The Cost of A Mini construction Project by uwemjack(m): 5:18pm On Apr 21, 2019
Fun in what sense?
I designed a fence using my parameters and i arrived at an estimate.
I did an example with a survey plan i believe that should suffice for what you need to make your projection.
essenceplus:

is the data meant for fun ?
Re: How To Estimate The Cost of A Mini construction Project by essenceplus: 5:19pm On Apr 21, 2019
uwemjack:
Fun in what sense?
I designed a fence using my parameters and i arrived at an estimate.
I did an example with a survey plan i believe that should suffice for what you need to make your projection.

Ok sir.

Thanks
Re: How To Estimate The Cost of A Mini construction Project by uwemjack(m): 6:04pm On Apr 22, 2019
For those who want to know materials required
For total number of blocks multiply the area of the wall by 10 will give you the required quantity.
For bags of cement you will need approximately 1 bag of cement to set 50 blocks
For sand you will need a trip of 20ton sand to set 1500 blocks.
Re: How To Estimate The Cost of A Mini construction Project by bomsybomsy(m): 6:09pm On Apr 22, 2019
We have genuine land for sale, just beside the Federal University Otuoke , Bayelsa State. You can use it to build good self contain hostels for students,Which is urgently needed by the yearly increase in student population.

Our comprehensive research in some nigerian universities show that,Hostel accommodation for students have always been in short supply in Nigeria Universities, Polytechnics, and other higher institutions.Simple reason,Most higher institutions in Nigeria enroll students in tens of thousands. And many of these higher institutions do not have ready hostel accommodation for the massive student population they attract from all over Nigeria to their schools.Even the Universities, Polytechnics and other higher institutions in Nigeria who have student hostel within their premises do not have enough rooms to cater for the accommodation needs of 70 percent of their student population.Therefore, the majority of students seek youth hostels or student accommodation outside of the school environment. Thousands of students are in constant need of hostel accommodation year in year out in higher institutions all over Nigeria.Therefore building student hostels provides a huge opportunity for you to earn good returns on your investment,.....0-8-0-3-7-9-0-3-4-4-4
Re: How To Estimate The Cost of A Mini construction Project by uwemjack(m): 10:50pm On Apr 22, 2019
In terms of paying labour for setting the blocks.
Two options
- you can pay them per block between ₦45 to ₦50 per block or
- daily payment but with a minimum of 100 blocks layed per day
Re: How To Estimate The Cost of A Mini construction Project by uwemjack(m): 8:08pm On Apr 27, 2019
How to estimate cost of painting.
Re: How To Estimate The Cost of A Mini construction Project by uwemjack(m): 8:52am On Oct 20, 2021
uwemjack:
Example:
From the design plan shown, the total perimeter of the site is = 29.4+13.7+26+13.2= 82.3m
The cost of fencing the plot will then be
82.3 x ₦26,158 = ₦2,152,803.

based on the height of the proposed fence, as well as the type of foundation to be used the rate (₦26,158) will vary i.e be more or less

Because of inflation this rate is no longer valid.
However using current prices and same parameters above should arrive at a valid rate

(1) (Reply)

Various Plot Of Land For Sale In Badore And Langbasa Lekki Axis For 3m Per Plot / Hot Deal For Sale Of Tank Farm In Calabar Cross River / A Studio Apartment For Student In Ogun State Nigeria; What Do You Think?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.