Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,936 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:18 AM

NIS Deploys Tech, Mobile Patrols To Guard Porous Borders, Registering Migrants - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NIS Deploys Tech, Mobile Patrols To Guard Porous Borders, Registering Migrants (9120 Views)

Prince Arthur Eze Rides Bicycle While His Security Men Run To Guard Him (Video) / The Jihadist Terrorists Have Brought In Their Weapons Throug Your Porous Borders / Lockdown: Umahi Suspends Commissioner, Perm Sec, Others Over ‘porous’ Boundaries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

NIS Deploys Tech, Mobile Patrols To Guard Porous Borders, Registering Migrants by Blue3k(m): 3:49pm On Apr 07, 2019
By ADELANI ADEPEGBA

The Comptroller-General of Nigeria Immigration Service, Muhammad Babandede, has called for more investments in border security, especially in the area of e-border, in order to effectively monitor the country’s porous borders.

Babandede, who spoke against the backdrop of numerous unmanned borders areas in the North-East and other parts of the country, said the best way to monitor activities at the point of entries was patrol with modern technology.

The immigration boss, in an exclusive interview with SUNDAY PUNCH, said Nigeria did not have the resources to build walls around its borders.

When asked the number of illegal routes leading into the country, Babandede said, “I wish I know. You cannot count them. I hear a lot of stories that there are over 100 routes. Look at the desert, an open space. Our duty is to continue to use patrols and modern technology.

“That’s why we have e-borders where we can monitor, in real-time, the borders. I am not for building a wall; people would learn how to break through the wall or jump over it. We have no resources to invest in that.”

The NIS CG added that the present administration had improved on border patrols.

“If you compare this administration with the previous one, you would commend them (current government agencies). I think they have done well. Investment in e-border is an investment in border security. They have also given us patrol vehicles; we have communication gadgets. I believe the government has invested. It is also not enough for us; but they have done better compared to the previous administration,” he said.

Babandede disclosed that President Muhammadu Buhari had approved the registration of migrants in order to properly monitor the activities of those staying in the country illegally.

He said every non-Nigerian that entered the country and had stayed for a period exceeding 90 days would be expected to register in their states of residence.

The CG said, “We have started removing people staying illegally in Nigeria. That was why we removed the Ghanaians from our territory. We have also introduced the registration of migrants. We introduced the registration of non-Nigerians and Mr President has approved it.

“We want to make sure every non-Nigerian, who has entered our territory and stayed for a period exceeding 90 days, must register in their states of residence.

“Initially, we wanted to take it to the local government, but we don’t have the resources. We are doing a pilot scheme in the state capital. This law is very important because it also mandates the person providing accommodation to report an unregistered visitor.

“For example, you operate a hotel and you have a Nigerien or Canadian staying there for 90 days, it is your duty to ask him if he has registered. I am not talking about only hotels; even if it is a factory. We have got the equipment and we are training officers. We are also getting the support of the International Organisation for Migration and funding from Germany. The software has been installed which would be linked to the entry at the airports.”

Source: https://punchng.com/immigration-deploys-tech-mobile-patrols-to-guard-porous-borders/amp/

2 Likes

Re: NIS Deploys Tech, Mobile Patrols To Guard Porous Borders, Registering Migrants by Blue3k(m): 4:14pm On Apr 07, 2019
I commend Buhari for actually showing interest in this issue. Registering immigrants will be effective if there's a centralized database and reporting guidelines are followed. Businesses that dont would have to be subject to fines or criminal charges. The software software should be available at land borders as well.

He's right sbout walls being too expensive for Nigeria. Physical barriers work ask Hungary and Israel. Walls aren't force fields but they do significantly reduce traffic.

10 Likes

Re: NIS Deploys Tech, Mobile Patrols To Guard Porous Borders, Registering Migrants by Gucciboss: 4:50pm On Apr 07, 2019
There is no point registering illegal immigrants. Send them back to the home countries, that's what they do to Nigerians.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: NIS Deploys Tech, Mobile Patrols To Guard Porous Borders, Registering Migrants by Blue3k(m): 5:32pm On Apr 07, 2019
Gucciboss:
There is no point registering illegal immigrants. Send them back to the home countries, that's what they do to Nigerians.
The CG said, “We have started removing people staying illegally in Nigeria. That was why we removed the Ghanaians from our territory. 

Registrating migrants makes their job easier. The reporting requirements also make sure they dont move around too essily. It also helps to know if its same person coming back under fake name if you have biometric information. Lol They are starting to take their jobs more seriously after Ghana deported hundreads of Nigerians.

8 Likes

Re: NIS Deploys Tech, Mobile Patrols To Guard Porous Borders, Registering Migrants by Amuocha: 8:38pm On Apr 07, 2019
Cheaper to build walls.

Sai Trump
Re: NIS Deploys Tech, Mobile Patrols To Guard Porous Borders, Registering Migrants by MrPresident1: 8:38pm On Apr 07, 2019
We need a wall!
Re: NIS Deploys Tech, Mobile Patrols To Guard Porous Borders, Registering Migrants by ainas247: 8:39pm On Apr 07, 2019
grin Medicine after death, 90 percent of Okada rider in Nigeria are Ninja, Cameroon, den go even beat you join if you dear talk to them anyhow they will gather you like rain.

I do White SEO, I rank Business on Google
come and see result before you start
Re: NIS Deploys Tech, Mobile Patrols To Guard Porous Borders, Registering Migrants by baby124: 8:40pm On Apr 07, 2019
We have many illegal immigrants and foreigners in Nigeria doing what we can’t do in their countries. Like the Ghanaian Olosho waist trainer flaunting on Instagram. While Nigerian olosho can’t have peace in Ghana
Re: NIS Deploys Tech, Mobile Patrols To Guard Porous Borders, Registering Migrants by Nobody: 8:40pm On Apr 07, 2019
Ok sir
Re: NIS Deploys Tech, Mobile Patrols To Guard Porous Borders, Registering Migrants by Toosure70: 8:41pm On Apr 07, 2019
Una just dey wake up? Sebi Hausa for Chad na Nigerian. rubbish.

1 Like

Re: NIS Deploys Tech, Mobile Patrols To Guard Porous Borders, Registering Migrants by freemanbubble: 8:41pm On Apr 07, 2019
Okay
Re: NIS Deploys Tech, Mobile Patrols To Guard Porous Borders, Registering Migrants by twilliamx(m): 8:41pm On Apr 07, 2019
Good
Re: NIS Deploys Tech, Mobile Patrols To Guard Porous Borders, Registering Migrants by qanda: 8:43pm On Apr 07, 2019
Re: NIS Deploys Tech, Mobile Patrols To Guard Porous Borders, Registering Migrants by Upton: 8:47pm On Apr 07, 2019
Nice one.
But we need to start producing sha. The country needs to start making money

3 Likes

Re: NIS Deploys Tech, Mobile Patrols To Guard Porous Borders, Registering Migrants by okonja(m): 8:48pm On Apr 07, 2019
Nonsense
Re: NIS Deploys Tech, Mobile Patrols To Guard Porous Borders, Registering Migrants by Blue3k(m): 8:49pm On Apr 07, 2019
Amuocha:
Cheaper to build walls.

Sai Trump

Lol its not. Hungary border fence cost $523 million dollars. Ours would be much longer.

baby124:
We have many illegal immigrants and foreigners in Nigeria doing what we can’t do in their countries. Like the Ghanaian Olosho waist trainer flaunting on Instagram. While Nigerian olosho can’t have peace in Ghana
ainas247:
grin Medicine after death, 90 percent of Okada rider in Nigeria are Ninja, Cameroon, den go even beat you join if you dear talk to them anyhow they will gather you like rain.
Toosure70:
Una just dey wake up? Sebi Hausa for Chad na Nigerian. rubbish.

Lol report them. The government needs its snitches.

4 Likes

Re: NIS Deploys Tech, Mobile Patrols To Guard Porous Borders, Registering Migrants by RTSC: 8:52pm On Apr 07, 2019
If properly documented especially in Lagos and the North, you would be surprised to know that nearly a quarter of the people in Nigeria are immigrants from west and central Africa, competing with us for jobs and other national resources.
Re: NIS Deploys Tech, Mobile Patrols To Guard Porous Borders, Registering Migrants by Nbote(m): 8:52pm On Apr 07, 2019
Hehehe.... Make I laugh small.. U will only see dem in southern borders... While d northern borders are a express for anyone speaking hausa

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NIS Deploys Tech, Mobile Patrols To Guard Porous Borders, Registering Migrants by Mutemenot(m): 8:53pm On Apr 07, 2019
Come carry those ones at Lagos airport, they should be posted to Borno

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NIS Deploys Tech, Mobile Patrols To Guard Porous Borders, Registering Migrants by BiafraIsFree: 8:56pm On Apr 07, 2019
They are registering immigrants to use rig in Biafra and Nigeria referendum.

Gucciboss:

The fear of IPOB catching Nigeria expired amalgamation.

I want to use this opportunity to call on IPOB forces at the Biafra borders to do the needful. We are at war technically.

Nigeria can't be one.

Re: NIS Deploys Tech, Mobile Patrols To Guard Porous Borders, Registering Migrants by franchasng: 8:57pm On Apr 07, 2019
Lol, all lies grin

If true, it will only be applicable to southern borders at Ogun, Lagos, Calabar while the northern borders are spread wide open for Fulani militia from Chad, Niger, Burkinafaso, Gambia, etc to stroll in like Lords, deceitful government of the north for the north angry

2 Likes

Re: NIS Deploys Tech, Mobile Patrols To Guard Porous Borders, Registering Migrants by Blue3k(m): 9:03pm On Apr 07, 2019
Where is flight patrols. I remember him mentioning it 2 years ago.
Re: NIS Deploys Tech, Mobile Patrols To Guard Porous Borders, Registering Migrants by castrol180(m): 9:03pm On Apr 07, 2019
Rubbish

These people are filled with unfulfilled promises always the same thing with Buhari and his cohorts
Re: NIS Deploys Tech, Mobile Patrols To Guard Porous Borders, Registering Migrants by bskyb(m): 9:07pm On Apr 07, 2019
Good step forward.
I am aware that for the first time in decades, Nigeriens and other foreigners crossing our border into Sokoto now have to register and be fingerprinted.
But, govt should not rest on its oars there's a lot more to be done

1 Like

Re: NIS Deploys Tech, Mobile Patrols To Guard Porous Borders, Registering Migrants by Vado(m): 9:09pm On Apr 07, 2019
Keep fooling yourselves. When I was in Sokoto, Nigeriens walked in and out of that place like it's nothing.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NIS Deploys Tech, Mobile Patrols To Guard Porous Borders, Registering Migrants by Nobody: 9:10pm On Apr 07, 2019
The border in the whole of Northern Nigeria is unmanned or very porous.

However, there is heavy presence of security operatives from Badagry to Cross Rivers (southern border).

2 Likes

Re: NIS Deploys Tech, Mobile Patrols To Guard Porous Borders, Registering Migrants by directonpc(m): 9:21pm On Apr 07, 2019
E-what? Another 700m website.
Re: NIS Deploys Tech, Mobile Patrols To Guard Porous Borders, Registering Migrants by Blue3k(m): 9:32pm On Apr 07, 2019
bskyb:
Good step forward.
I am aware that for the first time in decades, Nigeriens and other foreigners crossing our border into Sokoto now have to register and be fingerprinted.
But, govt should not rest on its oars there's a lot more to be done
Vado:
Keep fooling yourselves. When I was in Sokoto, Nigeriens walked in and out of that place like it's nothing.

Lol decades foreal? Its weird both of you witnessed opposite occurrences. Im guessing the one of you saw people coming in illegally. I guess the should step up patrol along with other security sector reforms.
Re: NIS Deploys Tech, Mobile Patrols To Guard Porous Borders, Registering Migrants by bendike: 9:43pm On Apr 07, 2019
Blue3k:
I commend Buhari for actually showing interest in this issue. Registering immigrants will be effective if there's a centralized database and reporting guidelines are followed. Businesses that dont would have to be subject to fines or criminal charges. The software software should be available at land borders as well.

He's right sbout walls being too expensive for Nigeria. Physical barriers work ask Hungary and Israel. Walls aren't force fields but they do significantly reduce traffic.
I did not bother reading why you commend buhari.
I will read when you commend buhari for listening and acting on the cries of Nigerians on the open, wanton corruption in the NIS concerning the renewal and issuing of Nigerian international passports.
Why is our passport booklets scarce and 3 times the official price?

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Refugees Commission Plans Distribution Of Food Items, Palliatives In 11 States / Femi Gbajabiamila Rejects National Honour / Peter Obi Increased Anambra Poverty Rate From 20% To 68% - Soludo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.