Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,901 members, 7,802,920 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:19 AM

2011: Why Is Nobody Talking About The National Assembly? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2011: Why Is Nobody Talking About The National Assembly? (1507 Views)

You Didn't Vote For GMB In 2003,2007 And 2011 Why Now? / 2011: Why Buhari Should Be President / 2011: Why Pro-zoning Governors Attended Jonathan’s Declaration ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

2011: Why Is Nobody Talking About The National Assembly? by Kobojunkie: 3:22pm On Sep 13, 2010
[size=13pt]2011: Why is nobody talking about the National Assembly?[/size]
http://www.punchng.com/blog_read.aspx?read=218

If a foreigner that knows little or nothing about our politics visits the country today and tries to follow political discussions in the media for few days, he will definitely be persuaded to think that 2011 general elections will be all about who becomes the President.

Indeed, mass media news and analysis have focused very much on who becomes the President in 2011 and why the person should or should not come from a certain part of the country. Even letters to the editor and opinion articles written by the newspaper reading public have followed this trend.

But the implication of this, however, is that the electorate is not being enlightened on why we should have credible people as our representatives in NASS in 2011.

The argument for this trend may be that in presidential systems of government, the president is the issue. People with this reasoning will point to the United States where the politics of presidential election tends to bring the whole country to a halt.

But then, in the US, the presidential election is a standalone election. That is, unlike in our country where the process that culminates in presidential election also culminates in National Assembly, governorship and state Assembly elections, in the US, the presidential election is done separately.

Perhaps, the US, understandably, considers the election far too important that the framers of her constitution decided that the election must be standalone. I am, however, very sure that if theirs is a general elections like ours, the dominant issue will not just be the presidential election. Close attention will also be paid to congressional election, for the American people know too well that a dynamic Congress will, to a large extent, translate into a purposeful executive.

Of a truth, just as we need a man of honour to be our president, we need people of even greater honour to populate NASS, for, a credible NASS will definitely check whatever may be the President’s excesses, remind him always of his social pact with us and ensure that his policies will be for the good of all.

But when people of questionable character populate NASS, we will, no doubt, see exactly what we are currently experiencing : (un)distinguished and (dis)honourable men and women whose stock in trade is to, at the slightest opportunity, top up their salaries and allowances at the expense of the hoi polloi and to periodically engage in fisticuffs — even in the presence of impressionable children.
Re: 2011: Why Is Nobody Talking About The National Assembly? by hercules07: 3:27pm On Sep 13, 2010
The presidency controls 55% of the budget, 45% is left to the states and all other arms. One of the reasons we are not tallking about the National Assembly is because we believe the President affects our lives more than the assembly men.
Re: 2011: Why Is Nobody Talking About The National Assembly? by netotse(m): 3:33pm On Sep 13, 2010
i agree with you, was watching one of them conference/symposium thingies on debt this weekend, and the lawmaker there could not contribute

anything meaningful to the discussion, (he was supposed to be on the house committee on finance 0), if we had sensible people as lawmakers, the

presidency would be forced to give themselves brain, but from the way things are going, if we dont wake up all these illiterate crooks will weasel their

way into extra terms in the national assembly.
Re: 2011: Why Is Nobody Talking About The National Assembly? by Kobojunkie: 3:35pm On Sep 13, 2010
We need to focus more energy on those in the National Assembly, where we can actually make changes, than on the presidency. From the events of the past couple of years, it has become all too apparent that those in the assembly have more power than we are willing to believe and accept. You only need research the bills and amendments that have been worked on to figure this out.
Re: 2011: Why Is Nobody Talking About The National Assembly? by MetalGong4: 3:38pm On Sep 13, 2010
Nobody is talking about National Assembly because they are all stooges of the President. In Nigeria, the President gets whatever he wants without any attempt of resistance or intellectual debate from the lame lawmakers.
Re: 2011: Why Is Nobody Talking About The National Assembly? by hercules07: 3:41pm On Sep 13, 2010
Kobo,

Sure we need to, the legislative arm is very important, the Speaker of the House of Representatives (US) visited Canada recently to do some shakara for them on Oil and so forth.
Re: 2011: Why Is Nobody Talking About The National Assembly? by Olaolufred(m): 3:54pm On Sep 13, 2010
May be because we are tired of them.

Next is, How do we get rid of them?

Through election?

Will the votes count?

Soooo many question begging for answers.

If we must face it and make vote counts, every non-performer are not supposed to be in for second time.

But, Alas. May be in the future Nigeria.
Re: 2011: Why Is Nobody Talking About The National Assembly? by Kobojunkie: 3:59pm On Sep 13, 2010
Olaolufred:

May be because we are tired of them.
I don't think so. It usually follows that you go out of your way to get rid of what you are tired of. That does not seem to be what we are doing.

Olaolufred:

Next is, How do we get rid of them?

Through election?

Will the votes count?
Well, if you feel helpless in this, why vote at all at any level? I mean if you really believe that voting is useless then why even bother being concerned about who takes over the presidency next? Why not just give it all up completely? The problem I see if we are too quick to make predictions where we are unwilling to act.

Olaolufred:

Soooo many question begging for answers.
The questions you have asked are not valid questions at all.

Olaolufred:

If we must face it and make vote counts, every non-performer are not supposed to be in for second time.
But, Alas. May be in the future Nigeria.
Dude, take it seriously and vote please. We need to stop trying to cook up more excuses for ineptitude to continue. We need to use this opportunity to the best we can. And surely it is all too clear at this point that we need to focus more attention on the National Assembly and those who actually claim to represent us at the Local and state levels as well so we can enact more lasting changes to our system and our political face as a whole.
Re: 2011: Why Is Nobody Talking About The National Assembly? by Parnassuss(m): 4:44pm On Sep 13, 2010
Nobody is talking about it cos frankly speaking its is too broad (with over 500 ASPIRANTS alone), and too inconsequential compared to the presidential race. Also right now everyone running for the NASS is happy to do the 'underground' runs and leave the public fixated with the big fish. The Americans have it right, separating the Congress and Presidential elections, the mix just muddles all minders there.
Re: 2011: Why Is Nobody Talking About The National Assembly? by Nobody: 5:28pm On Sep 13, 2010
I think that the forth coming election is an unusual one. The death of Ya'rdua has certainly polarised the polity. It has thrown up alot that even pundits are left guessing on how the election outcome will be. Believe me nobody knows!
Re: 2011: Why Is Nobody Talking About The National Assembly? by ayo84(m): 5:32pm On Sep 13, 2010
Infact the national assembly elections,should even be more important than the presidential elections,cos they are the ones that are capable of hanfling the presdent and checking him against his excesses
Re: 2011: Why Is Nobody Talking About The National Assembly? by marvix(m): 11:34pm On Sep 13, 2010
This is the sweetest thread I have seen on NL in recent times.

The challenge is who do we want representing us at our senatorial and federal constituencies.

I have always cried out that people like Utomi, Falana, Umar, Ribadu and other men of proven character should leave the presidential race alone go to your people, convince them to give u a shot as a representative then come to the centre stage and shout out.

Will Utomi agree with Senators increasing their salaries in 24hrs while docs are on strike, would a Duke be in d senate and we wuld be arguing abt wat happens because Yaradua is sick.

Not only at the national level but also at the state level and LG levels, let us demphasize the executive office but rather place more emphasis on the legislative arms because truly this is where the power comes from.

When we are able to actively vote in this people when they start misbehaving we can also recall them back home.
Re: 2011: Why Is Nobody Talking About The National Assembly? by Kobojunkie: 12:26am On Sep 14, 2010
marvix:

The challenge is who do we want representing us at our senatorial and federal constituencies.

I have always cried out that people like Utomi, Falana, Umar, Ribadu and other men of proven character should leave the presidential race alone go to your people, convince them to give u a shot as a representative then come to the centre stage and shout out.

Will Utomi agree with Senators increasing their salaries in 24hrs while docs are on strike, would a Duke be in d senate and we wuld be arguing abt wat happens because Yaradua is sick.

Not only at the national level but also at the state level and LG levels, let us demphasize the executive office but [size=13pt]rather place more emphasis on the legislative arms because truly this is where the power comes from.[/size]

When we are able to actively vote in this people when they start misbehaving we can also recall them back home.

You are speaking my language dude!
Re: 2011: Why Is Nobody Talking About The National Assembly? by Kilode1: 1:09am On Sep 14, 2010
@OP

You are right, the fact that we have a decent FOI bill stalling in the NA for Ten straight years( I know OBJ refused to sign it at one point) shows how important and vital the NA elections are.

We argue about National characters and politicians everyday but these NA members are the closest to our communities. I can bet most of us don't even know the names of our representatives or senators.

I'm so guilty of that: **I went to find out and the guy went to my school**  angry Unfortunately, I can't verify what his voting records are, but from what I gathered from those who follow him, they are appalling.

My opinion of their online presence (since they don't "exist" offline)

The NA member websites :
An insult to democracy and an assault on my intelligence shocked  These folks allocate all those millions to themselves every year?? angry angry angry  WTF!!!!

I think My IQ dropped 10% after viewing the piece of poo they put up there. Member pages are scanty with no links to their activities or votes, they only have a few lines of tired, silly, comments about their "awards" shocked

http://www.nass.gov.ng/nass2/Princ_officers.php?title_sur=Hon.

The General NA website;

Well, it's just thereundecided I see some effort(I think it's just me settling for mediocrity though). I saw a few pages of official PDF documents about legislations with no specifics on how individual members voted. But I'm glad they keep some records   smiley  

http://www.nass.gov.ng/ (you can read comments and verbatim transcripts of proceedings)

I'll give them a pass mark for effort undecided

I think we need a dedicated thread or someplace on NL where we can post or discuss specifics about our NA representatives.  If we can't fight them on the streets we can shame them online. Because, believe it or not, majority of these looters will win the coming elections.

I really wish I can trade my NA representatives for some cold drinks,

http://www.nassnig.org/nass2/votenproc.php  (votes and proceedings)
Re: 2011: Why Is Nobody Talking About The National Assembly? by Kilode1: 1:14am On Sep 14, 2010
marvix:

Not only at the national level but also at the state level and LG levels, let us demphasize the executive office but rather place more emphasis on the legislative arms because truly this is where the power comes from.

Well said!
Re: 2011: Why Is Nobody Talking About The National Assembly? by lekanbar(m): 11:02am On Sep 14, 2010
Tired of talking maybe, undecided undecided undecided

http://lekanbaruwa./

(1) (Reply)

House Speaker, Dimeji Bankole, And 70 Pdp Lawmakers Plan To Decamp To Acn / Imo Politics And The Yorubas': A Good Lesson To Learn. / The Real Cost Of Nigerian Petrol(pms)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.