Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,286 members, 7,807,969 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:25 AM

Nobody Can Stop Northerners From Contesting Presidency In 2023 - Tony Momoh - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nobody Can Stop Northerners From Contesting Presidency In 2023 - Tony Momoh (20915 Views)

2023: Atiku, Tambuwal Have Indicated Interest In Contesting Presidency - Makinde / Again, Ondo Amotekun ‘Deports’ 137 Northerners From State / Presidency Backs El-rufai, Says Peter Obi Deported Northerners From Anambra (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nobody Can Stop Northerners From Contesting Presidency In 2023 - Tony Momoh by SirLakes: 9:40am On Apr 11, 2019
No fvck to give,
I just want to Ja from here
Re: Nobody Can Stop Northerners From Contesting Presidency In 2023 - Tony Momoh by Kenturkey048(m): 9:40am On Apr 11, 2019
eagleeye2:

Please mention another 'reasonable' tribe in the South?
yourbas are the only unreasonable tribe in the south,,.sorry to say that..

3 Likes

Re: Nobody Can Stop Northerners From Contesting Presidency In 2023 - Tony Momoh by Ziggylady(f): 9:40am On Apr 11, 2019
Alexis11:

Hahahahaha.... see pains! cheesy

This 2019 election no even pain Atiku reach like this o. cool

Which kind slave una com be self

grin

Kindly carry your amala smell out of my mentions biko...Brainless mofos bore me.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nobody Can Stop Northerners From Contesting Presidency In 2023 - Tony Momoh by Enemyofpeace: 9:43am On Apr 11, 2019
Fokn slave
Re: Nobody Can Stop Northerners From Contesting Presidency In 2023 - Tony Momoh by madridsta007(m): 9:44am On Apr 11, 2019
nairavsdollars:
By Temidayo Akinsuyi

Prince Tony Momoh, a former Minister of Information and one of the national leaders of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) in this interview with TEMIDAYO AKINSUYI , speaks on the controversy surrounding power shift, former CJN Walter Onnoghen’s resignation and other issues. Excerpts:

The general impression that the presidency will come to the South after the completion of President Muhammadu Buhari’s tenure in 2023, but right now some Northern political leaders are threatening to field candidates, saying the South should forget . What is your take on this?

Politics is a talkshop. The armoury in the dictionary of politics is word. The only thing is that communication has rules. For instance, communication in a love letter should be different from communication that is published in national newspapers. I believe that there should be time for everything. We just finished a general election about a month ago and people are already talking about irrelevant things when we ought to be dealing with more pressing issues that will grow the country. Having said that, power is not served a la carte; you struggle to acquire power. There is no way anybody can beg anybody or any region to come and take power. So, it is a struggle and any part of the country can struggle to occupy any position in the country. Wining election is decided by votes, so if some people sit down and think people will say ‘come and take these positions in 2023, then they don’t know what democracy is all about. Politics is like a game of chess and those who are good players win. When PDP zoned positions, a lot of people from the North and South contested. I remembered when the PDP presidency ticket was zoned to the South, some people in the North contested.

Even look at the APC now which has zoned the position of Senate President to the North- East but some people from other regions are protesting, saying that they have a right to occupy the position. So, if anybody thinks that the Presidency will be zoned to the South in 2023 and then the North will just sit down and watch, then they have a lot of shocks coming for them. We can still find another person from another zone who may contest under another political party and win. So, nobody should think that they can just sit down at home, not work hard and then power will just be handed over to them like that.

But don’t you think the rotational policy between the North and South should be strictly adhered to so that there won’t be any political crisis?

Although that is what people think, it will not be that smooth. It has never been that smooth. When they said the PDP presidential ticket should come to the South- West to pacify the people in the region, did other people from other regions not contest? We had people like the late Alex Ekwueme from the South- East and the late Abubakar Rimi from the North who contested against Olusegun Obasanjo. I believe in 2023, a lot of people will come out to contest for Presidency and nobody will stop them. So, people must work hard to get power and the prayer for winning election is answered by votes; the volume of votes you can produce.

Now that he has resigned, should former CJN, Walter Onnoghen be prosecuted?

Prosecution is a political decision. I have said it before that all Onnoghen would have done to save everybody the embarrassment of being suspended by stepping down. Now that he has resigned, what happens next is a political decision.

Are you saying the Federal Government can decide whether to prosecute him or not?

It depends on what the issues are. What are the issues? Did he plead guilty to misconduct? The Attorney-General is very powerful. He can withdraw a case at any time, he can take over a case at any time and he can institute a case at any time. The power to prosecute is there and that is why I said prosecution in any matter of this nature is a political decision.

Given the proliferation of political parties in the country as witnessed in the just concluded elections, some Nigerians are suggesting a return to the two-party system like we had in the 1993 elections. Are you r perspective on this?

What happened with the SDP and NRC during the time of IBB was an attempt to reduce the proliferation of parties in our political life and you know that a committee was set up and they had all the entries grouped into ‘a little to the left’ and ‘a little to the right’. So, we had the SDP and the NRC, and when we began preparations for a return to civil rule in 1999, a lot of people said, no, that the SDP and NRC were government parastatals. But the fact is, what people didn’t know is that as at the time Abacha dissolved those parties, they had taken over the ownership of their party because after the annulment of the June 12 elections, meetings were being called and SDP that produced Abiola was deciding to or not to attend meetings because they were already in charge of their party. So, if we had allowed the NRC and SDP to grow with all the structures already in place at the local, state and national levels, they would have grown into institutions that would have stabilised our democracy.

But what happened after 1999 was that we had a situation whereby the power of INEC to register was being questioned, and Obasanjo messed up the whole system by asking INEC to register as many parties as possible, most of which were initiated by the PDP. So, we had this situation where we had so many political parties, and as at the last count, we had 91 in the system, and it is not as if they are tired. More parties would spring up because we must look at what we have made of politics in Nigeria and you are a political association until you are registered as a political party. You cannot do business as a political association.

You can only do business when you are registered as a political party. We have made politics a business and political parties are the vehicles for those businesses while Nigerians are ruthless businessmen. In business, there must be a gain. We are not going to have a reduction in parties; we are going to have more. So, we have a challenge which is to ensure that politics becomes what it should be. In other realms, it is service, not a business. As long as we continue to see it as a business in Nigeria, we are going to handle political parties as we handle selling pepper or sugar or even 419.

We must decongest the political space. If we don’t do that, we will continue to have the outcome of what we have now and even vote buying will increase because again if the National Assembly is, and then you decongest the political space, reduce the power at the centre, move them to the States, then cancel local government elections and reduce it to part-time if you must have them, you will see overnight how we will cure these ills because these are businesses. Nigerians are ruthless businessmen and women, and it will continue to be business as usual.
https://www.independent.ng/moving-presidency-to-south-in-2023-wont-be-smooth-tony-momoh-2/

We are still in 2019 and they are talking about 2023? undecided
If only Northerners can be passionate about governance as they are passionate about holding political positions. We would have a Dubai-looking North.

Now we have a Boko-Haram/ Fulani-terrorists-herdsmen overran North.
Sad.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nobody Can Stop Northerners From Contesting Presidency In 2023 - Tony Momoh by gabicon: 9:45am On Apr 11, 2019
You are right we can't stop a northerner from contesting in 2023 but we sure can stop them from winning.
Re: Nobody Can Stop Northerners From Contesting Presidency In 2023 - Tony Momoh by seguno2: 9:48am On Apr 11, 2019
hisexcellency34:
From the look of things, Atiku will contest the 2023 presidential election. All these people shouting that northerners must contest in 2023 are only fronting for him

Fronting for him or deceiving him to abandon his Tribunal case
There are many possibilities.
Re: Nobody Can Stop Northerners From Contesting Presidency In 2023 - Tony Momoh by signz: 9:51am On Apr 11, 2019
hisexcellency34:
From the look of things, Atiku will contest the 2023 presidential election. All these people shouting that northerners must contest in 2023 are only fronting for him

Atiku's age will be used against him in 2023.

Everybody is looking towards Kwankwaso and Tambuwal.
Re: Nobody Can Stop Northerners From Contesting Presidency In 2023 - Tony Momoh by BanevsJoker(m): 9:51am On Apr 11, 2019
FOLYKAZE:

During the 8 years of North, there were Contestants from South. In 1999 and 2003, there were also contestants from North. So in 2013, there may be contestants from all the tribes in Nigeria. Nigerian will decide who they want as president.
Back from the future.
Re: Nobody Can Stop Northerners From Contesting Presidency In 2023 - Tony Momoh by gratiaeo(m): 9:51am On Apr 11, 2019
Tony momoh is not even sure he will see 2023. Let us wait till then
Re: Nobody Can Stop Northerners From Contesting Presidency In 2023 - Tony Momoh by ebuclassic18(m): 9:54am On Apr 11, 2019
When all they can contribute is leadership position what do we expect lazzy tribe chop chop tribe no economical impact these ple are the problem in this country one day we all realize that
Re: Nobody Can Stop Northerners From Contesting Presidency In 2023 - Tony Momoh by Thetruthshallse(m): 9:57am On Apr 11, 2019
Wow!!! Reading Igbo people comment on this thread is an eye opener, so Igbo people finally accept that they have burnt all Goodwill bridges with other ethnic groups in Nigeria. That they can't be able to aspire to the highest office in the land? They are hereby promoting fulani/hausa to continue as president. Rich from people that usually call others slaves, maybe I don't understand what slaves means. SHAME

1 Like

Re: Nobody Can Stop Northerners From Contesting Presidency In 2023 - Tony Momoh by jrusky(m): 9:57am On Apr 11, 2019
Guys pls always take your time to read and have a good look at everything anyone says before commenting.

Yea Tony Mornmorn was right he did not say apc Northerners but said no one can stop the North from contesting by 2023 which is true because Atiku is from the North and surely some political party will still give the North their presidential slot so truly north will always be on the platform.

So as he(Tony) is still one of the fools left alive not yet answer the call of being a ghost he is still free to keep suffering from month menstruation for now till his name only appear among people to be doing remembrance for. Tony Mornmorn I know is just nothing but a pieces of rust metal.
Re: Nobody Can Stop Northerners From Contesting Presidency In 2023 - Tony Momoh by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:59am On Apr 11, 2019
Gandollaar:
This stupid old man. Nobody takes him and Tam David West serious.

Tinubu can only be president of iragbiji republic.
Bro, as for me o, I am voting a northerner in 2023... Except either of the major parties field someone from Southeast.

I'm from SS but I believe in equity.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nobody Can Stop Northerners From Contesting Presidency In 2023 - Tony Momoh by Gandollaar(f): 10:01am On Apr 11, 2019
TonyeBarcanista:
Bro, as for me o, I am voting a northerner in 2023... Except either of the major parties field someone from Southeast.

I concur bro

1 Like

Re: Nobody Can Stop Northerners From Contesting Presidency In 2023 - Tony Momoh by Honor10: 10:03am On Apr 11, 2019
Akiara:
At least I am not a brainless Afonjaa....that farts constantly on his brain particles. Tony Momoh is now an ipob for indirectly confirming what Igbo people told you. Constantly....you South west noisemakers are good for use and dumping.....and you Never Learn!!

So much for sufferstication... grin

you are the one that is brainless Here, do u guys think at all, do u know the meaning of use and dumb, that is what PDP has turn ur tribe to, slaves, they use u for election yet, they won't give u either presidency or VP, u called Yoruba use and dump, yet they have presidency for 8 years, VP for another 8 years and potential presidency in 2023, so who is the use and dump, b using ur Brain now, haba!

1 Like

Re: Nobody Can Stop Northerners From Contesting Presidency In 2023 - Tony Momoh by Honor10: 10:04am On Apr 11, 2019
TonyeBarcanista:

to hell with ur 5% vote. Nonsense. Slaves to the north.

1 Like

Re: Nobody Can Stop Northerners From Contesting Presidency In 2023 - Tony Momoh by kernel001: 10:05am On Apr 11, 2019
Thetruthshallse:
Wow!!! Reading Igbo people comment on this thread is an eye opener, so Igbo people finally accept that they have burnt all Goodwill bridges with other ethnic groups in Nigeria. That they can't be able to aspire to the highest office in the land? They are hereby promoting fulani/hausa to continue as president. Rich from people that usually call others slaves, maybe I don't understand what slaves means. SHAME

Go and sleep. You betrayed the South to get just VP, and now you think other South will support you?

Ask the same Northerners you supported then, to support you in turn.

3 Likes

Re: Nobody Can Stop Northerners From Contesting Presidency In 2023 - Tony Momoh by Honor10: 10:08am On Apr 11, 2019
Kenturkey048:
yourbas are the only unreasonable tribe in the south,,.sorry to say that..

no, u guys are. and stop talking nonsense with we betray south and all those poo, to hell with southern unity. u guys should vote ur northern master and stop disturbing us with 5% votes. without ur votes we will still win.

1 Like

Re: Nobody Can Stop Northerners From Contesting Presidency In 2023 - Tony Momoh by kernel001: 10:09am On Apr 11, 2019
Honor10:

to hell with ur 5% vote. Nonsense. Slaves to the north.

You have a divided Southwest vote against block vote of South South and South East.
Re: Nobody Can Stop Northerners From Contesting Presidency In 2023 - Tony Momoh by oforjide: 10:10am On Apr 11, 2019
Kwakamso/obi are matchless.
Re: Nobody Can Stop Northerners From Contesting Presidency In 2023 - Tony Momoh by kaffyadeakeem(f): 10:12am On Apr 11, 2019
hisexcellency34:
I said this to people
Re: Nobody Can Stop Northerners From Contesting Presidency In 2023 - Tony Momoh by Honor10: 10:13am On Apr 11, 2019
To all the yeebos here, that will say 1999 presidency was given to Yoruba on a platter of Gold, Alex Ekweume contest(from east) with Obj and co o, until he was beaten blue black. yeebos know they can't be president, even Cameronian has more stake in Nigeria politics than them, they want to drag Yoruba to their pitiful state, ko le work.

SW presidency 2023. haters kill urself.

1 Like

Re: Nobody Can Stop Northerners From Contesting Presidency In 2023 - Tony Momoh by Honor10: 10:14am On Apr 11, 2019
kernel001:

You have a divided Southwest vote against block vote of South South and South East.

to hell with ur block votes, where is Jonathan and Atiku with ur block votes? useless 5% votes with the loudest noise. Nonsense.

1 Like

Re: Nobody Can Stop Northerners From Contesting Presidency In 2023 - Tony Momoh by Nobody: 10:17am On Apr 11, 2019
the 2023 presidential election Will be such a BLOCKBUSTER!

the redundant coupist & cohorts are are playing topnotch, treacherous, super-smart politics!

l can't stop laughing at my cousins who are die-hard
tinubu's ass Lickers cos I warned them about the possibility of a stunt like this!

#GAME ON!

1 Like

Re: Nobody Can Stop Northerners From Contesting Presidency In 2023 - Tony Momoh by kernel001: 10:18am On Apr 11, 2019
Honor10:

to hell with ur block votes, where is Jonathan and Atiku with ur block votes? useless 5% votes with the loudest noise. Nonsense.

You sound frustrated.

They voted there own, but this time... They will vote there own against West, and to win any party they will seal it with block vote.

1 Like

Re: Nobody Can Stop Northerners From Contesting Presidency In 2023 - Tony Momoh by kernel001: 10:19am On Apr 11, 2019
Seenyo:
the 2023 presidential election Will be such a BLOCKBUSTER!

the redundant coupist & cohorts are are playing topnotch, treacherous, super-smart politics!

l can't stop laughing at my cousins who are die-hard
tinubu's ass Lickers cos I warned them about the possibility of a stunt like this!

#GAME ON!

Are you Yoruba?
Re: Nobody Can Stop Northerners From Contesting Presidency In 2023 - Tony Momoh by Nobody: 10:21am On Apr 11, 2019
kernel001:

Are you Yoruba?
I am.
Re: Nobody Can Stop Northerners From Contesting Presidency In 2023 - Tony Momoh by Quorax: 10:23am On Apr 11, 2019
eagleeye2:
Like play, like play the North are gradually telling the South (at least the south west) to forget 2023. And the disharmony between the Southwest and South east may actually return power to the North on a platter. If you like say that South east is 5%, but know that a Nigerian president must win at least 25% from each state.

Bros, I have been hammering on this immediately after buhari was declared winner but the South West were calling me ipob.

1 Like

Re: Nobody Can Stop Northerners From Contesting Presidency In 2023 - Tony Momoh by ChristianNorth: 10:24am On Apr 11, 2019
Onijagidijagan:
No more Hausa or Fulani president in Nigeria again.

Hear this foolishness from this blind, incompetent Hausas man that went to Almajiris school.
Lol
Onijagidijagan:

Parasitic, tribalistic, Hausas cannot be deciding faith for Nigeria. Their ignorance and backward culture, lack of effective education ruined this country since Nigerian independence.
So they are now parasitic, tribalistic, backward and illiterates.

Like you people always say "power is taken not given". Of course, pick a ticket and run against them.

Onijagidijagan:

Hausa man come and contest I promised you will be defeated by southerners in 2023.
So you remember there is always now. You guys said the Yorubas are not part of the backward South but Western Nigeria.
Onijagidijagan:

Seriously.. I cannot wait for Hausa or northerners to be defeated in 2023...is only if southerners are ignorant like them that will make them retain power.
Of course, they can't smell the seat with a united South and MB. To finish them politically, a South/MB ticket will do the trick.

But you guys destroyed all hope of a united south. We have a pro-south Northern components (MB and Kaduna and Taraba), instead of leveraging this, you guys destroyed everything.

Out of PDP's 16 years, the South had 13 and were on course to make it 17 out of 20 years and then power returned to MB through David Mark and then back to the South, greed couldn't allow you people.

You already have 8 years why not allow others have theirs and then wait patiently for it to return back to you.

In 2011 and 2015, Ohaneze Ndi Igbo banned mainstream Igbo politicians from contesting against Jonathan.

APGA leadership refused to sell presidential tickets, because we believe in the South.

But you guys have never made any political sacrifice for the South.
Onijagidijagan:

It is Hausas and Fulanis that suppose to be fighting and agitating for secession not Igbo, South South and South West.
SW is not fighting for secession. Stop deceiving yourself.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nobody Can Stop Northerners From Contesting Presidency In 2023 - Tony Momoh by izombie(m): 10:25am On Apr 11, 2019
Moghalu, durotoye, both contested in this past election but they are from the south. Why did they not wait for 2023 to contest since 2019 election was supposed to be only for the north? North will contest and north will win and north will continue to rule nigeria until this country divides.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Tinubu Battles Intrigue As Masari, El-rufai, Bagudu Jostle For SGF Slot / We Have Shared Responsibility: Tinubu Thanks Fubara For Pursuing Peace / US Did Not Give Buhari Any Oil Thieves' List - Punch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.