Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,177 members, 7,807,569 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:24 PM

5 Reasons Most Students Are Not Offered Admission Despite High Post-utme Score - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 5 Reasons Most Students Are Not Offered Admission Despite High Post-utme Score (20973 Views)

192 JAMB Score: What Are My Chances Of Getting Admission With This UTME Score? / If You've Been Offered ADMISSION! Via Jamb Caps..please Enter HERE! / 5 Reasons Most Students Are Not Offered Admission Despite High Post-utme Score / (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Reasons Most Students Are Not Offered Admission Despite High Post-utme Score by Nairatrenders: 6:12am On Apr 13, 2019
Most admission seekers are often times left confused trying to get the reason they were not offered admission to the institution of their choice despite having a very high UTME score.

At times, having a high Post-UTME is not a guarantee for admission. The following are the reasons students may not be offered admission despite having a high post-UTME score.

Let’s go �

1. Wrong UTME Subject Combination
This is one of the reasons a number of students lose admission despite beating the post-UTME cut-off point, this is very important to take note of.

Even at times, some students are being stripped of their admission or moved to another department during the process of first-year registration simply because of wrong JAMB subject combination.

For instance, a student seeking admission to study Mass Communication would definitely lose the admission if he or she did not take Literature-in-English as part of the four subjects for the UTME exam.

Similarly, a student seeking admission to study Physics and Electronics should definitely select Physics as part of his UTME subject combination. Before any student fills his or her JAMB form, he or she should painstakingly go through the JAMB Brochure to know the right subject combination for his or her course of study.

2. University’s Catchment Area
Most Federal Universities, including some State Universities, still retain the policy of Catchment area when selecting students for admission.

For instance, UNILAG catchment area constitutes majorly South Western states. What this means is that prospective students from the South West have higher chances of gaining admission than those from other part of the country.

For example, a prospective student from Osun state who scored 56, applying to study Sociology may be offered admission while another student from Imo state who scored 60 may not be offered admission.

This is so because if the catchment cut-off point for Osun is 56 while the general cut-off is 62, such a student from Imo state has definitely lost the admission despite having a higher score than his counterpart from the catchment zone.

In view of the above, admission seekers should always be aware of a university’s catchment area and requirements before selecting any university.

3. University Policy
Despite the general catchment area policy, some universities still have their individual policy they adopt as yardstick in admitting students.

Oftentimes, such policies are not made public. It is therefore the duty of admission seekers to find out specific admission policies of their prospective universities from friends schooling in such universities.

4. Low UTME Score
Often times, I pity most Jambites who score within the range of 180 and 210 because such scores limit their chances of gaining admission especially when there are enough students who scored as high as 250 and above. The chances of gaining Admission into such school will be very slim.

Well, most Universities still compute both UTTME and post-UTME scores in calculating the student’s average score. Hence, having a low UTME score can also hinder one’s opportunity of gaining admission.

It is always advisable for students to try to score 250 and above in order to be on a safer side. As a matter of fact, it is very necessary concerning the JAMB policy of redirecting students with lower UTME scores to less-competitive universities or giving them horrible courses to study.

5. O’level Result
I do advise admission seekers to pass ALL the necessary subjects in their O’level exam(s) very well before going ahead to take UTME exam.

I have met with lots of students who lost their admission because they did not have at least credit pass in some important subjects in their O’level result.

Recently, I met with a student who lost his admission to study Medicine at Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago-Iwoye (OOU) because he did not have at least a credit pass in Mathematics in his O’level result.

In fact, I felt very sorry for him because gaining admission to study a competitive course such as medicine is not easy.

See Source

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 5 Reasons Most Students Are Not Offered Admission Despite High Post-utme Score by LuckyM: 6:31am On Apr 13, 2019
Educative

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Most Students Are Not Offered Admission Despite High Post-utme Score by Redoil: 6:35am On Apr 13, 2019
Lucretive

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Most Students Are Not Offered Admission Despite High Post-utme Score by Harrymig1(m): 6:38am On Apr 13, 2019
Informative

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Reasons Most Students Are Not Offered Admission Despite High Post-utme Score by landmark86: 6:45am On Apr 13, 2019
Big lie from Op

My younger brother have being writing UTME now for almost 4yrs, and the least of his score is 270 and 70% in every post UTME.
As a serious fellow that wanna study medicine the last UTME he wrote he still scores 280 and 80% in post UTME but the useless university (Unilorin) gave him Zoology under Faculty of Science despite the fact that we are from Kwara State. Whereas a friend of mine that his cousin has lesser score was given Medicine just because they know the Registrar.

But tnx to God my brother is now in Cyprus studying Medicine. Is God not great?

58 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Reasons Most Students Are Not Offered Admission Despite High Post-utme Score by MrTrend(m): 6:46am On Apr 13, 2019
Is that true?
Re: 5 Reasons Most Students Are Not Offered Admission Despite High Post-utme Score by Chinashopping84: 6:46am On Apr 13, 2019
ok good for educating us..

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Most Students Are Not Offered Admission Despite High Post-utme Score by elyte89: 6:46am On Apr 13, 2019
Redoil:
Lucretive

And you wan write use of English for jamb so grin?

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Reasons Most Students Are Not Offered Admission Despite High Post-utme Score by Susan89: 6:46am On Apr 13, 2019
smiley
Re: 5 Reasons Most Students Are Not Offered Admission Despite High Post-utme Score by Nobody: 6:48am On Apr 13, 2019
noted bt las las school na scam emeka no go school but e dhe drive benz

4 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Most Students Are Not Offered Admission Despite High Post-utme Score by dgitrader(m): 6:48am On Apr 13, 2019
1. Corruption and nepotism that's the greatest reason. That is the bases of the so called ''university policy" you mentioned in in number 3. And its a never "made public" policy for that reason.
I ran admission racket for 9years, I speak authoritatively.
With cash and right channels, that non-indigne with lower score has higher chances than any indigne, except in the core north.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Reasons Most Students Are Not Offered Admission Despite High Post-utme Score by castrol180(m): 6:49am On Apr 13, 2019
This is misleading...that catchment area is out of it, haven't you see someone that score 180 to that your claimed 210 that would be given admission and 280 will be denied admission before. All your points are shaky.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Reasons Most Students Are Not Offered Admission Despite High Post-utme Score by qanda: 6:51am On Apr 13, 2019
Re: 5 Reasons Most Students Are Not Offered Admission Despite High Post-utme Score by amaniro: 6:52am On Apr 13, 2019
dgitrader:
1. Corruption and nepotism that's the greatest reason.

Coded name is catchment policy grin

5 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Most Students Are Not Offered Admission Despite High Post-utme Score by amaniro: 6:53am On Apr 13, 2019
EmahnueelGold99:
noted bt
las las school na scam
emeka no go school but e dhe drive benz

School is not just About getting money, being educated is a very good benefit. You can bring ideas when you're among elites.. etc

10 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Most Students Are Not Offered Admission Despite High Post-utme Score by amaniro: 6:55am On Apr 13, 2019
castrol180:
This is misleading...that catchment area is out of it, haven't you see someone that score 180 to that your claimed 210 that would be given admission and 280 will be denied admission before. All your points are shaky.

It's very true as a matter of fact, The OP is right. The catchment policy is Nepotism and tribalism which we all know has eaten deep in our Universities.

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Most Students Are Not Offered Admission Despite High Post-utme Score by MiddleDimension: 6:55am On Apr 13, 2019
Nairatrenders:
Most admission seekers are often times left confused trying to get the reason they were not offered admission to the institution of their choice despite having a very high UTME score.

At times, having a high Post-UTME is not a guarantee for admission. The following are the reasons students may not be offered admission despite having a high post-UTME score.

Let’s go �

1. Wrong UTME Subject Combination
This is one of the reasons a number of students lose admission despite beating the post-UTME cut-off point, this is very important to take note of.

Even at times, some students are being stripped of their admission or moved to another department during the process of first-year registration simply because of wrong JAMB subject combination.

For instance, a student seeking admission to study Mass Communication would definitely lose the admission if he or she did not take Literature-in-English as part of the four subjects for the UTME exam.

Similarly, a student seeking admission to study Physics and Electronics should definitely select Physics as part of his UTME subject combination. Before any student fills his or her JAMB form, he or she should painstakingly go through the JAMB Brochure to know the right subject combination for his or her course of study.

2. University’s Catchment Area
Most Federal Universities, including some State Universities, still retain the policy of Catchment area when selecting students for admission.

For instance, UNILAG catchment area constitutes majorly South Western states. What this means is that prospective students from the South West have higher chances of gaining admission than those from other part of the country.

For example, a prospective student from Osun state who scored 56, applying to study Sociology may be offered admission while another student from Imo state who scored 60 may not be offered admission.

This is so because if the catchment cut-off point for Osun is 56 while the general cut-off is 62, such a student from Imo state has definitely lost the admission despite having a higher score than his counterpart from the catchment zone.

In view of the above, admission seekers should always be aware of a university’s catchment area and requirements before selecting any university.

3. University Policy
Despite the general catchment area policy, some universities still have their individual policy they adopt as yardstick in admitting students.

Oftentimes, such policies are not made public. It is therefore the duty of admission seekers to find out specific admission policies of their prospective universities from friends schooling in such universities.

4. Low UTME Score
Often times, I pity most Jambites who score within the range of 180 and 210 because such scores limit their chances of gaining admission especially when there are enough students who scored as high as 250 and above. The chances of gaining Admission into such school will be very slim.

Well, most Universities still compute both UTTME and post-UTME scores in calculating the student’s average score. Hence, having a low UTME score can also hinder one’s opportunity of gaining admission.

It is always advisable for students to try to score 250 and above in order to be on a safer side. As a matter of fact, it is very necessary concerning the JAMB policy of redirecting students with lower UTME scores to less-competitive universities or giving them horrible courses to study.

5. O’level Result
I do advise admission seekers to pass ALL the necessary subjects in their O’level exam(s) very well before going ahead to take UTME exam.

I have met with lots of students who lost their admission because they did not have at least credit pass in some important subjects in their O’level result.

Recently, I met with a student who lost his admission to study Medicine at Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago-Iwoye (OOU) because he did not have at least a credit pass in Mathematics in his O’level result.

In fact, I felt very sorry for him because gaining admission to study a competitive course such as medicine is not easy.

See Source

all these ones you are saying is simply putting the blame squarely on the students, who are REALLY trying their best.

the solution is: BUILD MORE TERTIARY INSTITUTIONS AND INCREASE THE CAPACITY OF THE EXISTING ONES.

A STUDENT THAT SCORES 200 IN JAMB IS IN MY OPINION GOOD ENOUGH TO STUDY MEDICINE, LAW AND EVEN ENGINEERING. 200 IS 50% OF TOTAL JAMB SCORE. 50% IS NOT A BAD SCORE

3 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Most Students Are Not Offered Admission Despite High Post-utme Score by hisexcellency34: 6:56am On Apr 13, 2019
In OAU, they have VC list. Whatever that means

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Most Students Are Not Offered Admission Despite High Post-utme Score by unite4real: 6:57am On Apr 13, 2019
And one of the 5 reasons is LOW SCORE. what kind of post is this? It's a contrast from the heading.

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Most Students Are Not Offered Admission Despite High Post-utme Score by KINGwax007(m): 7:00am On Apr 13, 2019
Redoil:
Lucretive
u seriously needs schooling

4 Likes

Re: 5 Reasons Most Students Are Not Offered Admission Despite High Post-utme Score by callmeVIBRANT(m): 7:02am On Apr 13, 2019
all these calculations na rubbish
. if you lucky you will certainly get the admission

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Most Students Are Not Offered Admission Despite High Post-utme Score by onadana: 7:14am On Apr 13, 2019
landmark86:
Big lie from Op

My younger brother have being writing UTME now for almost 4yrs, and the least of his score is 270 and 70% in every post UTME.
As a serious fellow that wanna study medicine the last UTME he wrote he still scores 280 and 80% in post UTME but the useless university (Unilorin) gave him Zoology under Faculty of Science despite the fact that we are from Kwara State. Whereas a friend of mine that his cousin has lesser score was given Medicine just because they know the Registrar.

But tnx to God my brother is now in Cyprus studying Medicine.

North Cyprus,you mean... it's as good as saying Turkey.
Re: 5 Reasons Most Students Are Not Offered Admission Despite High Post-utme Score by hazvat(f): 7:14am On Apr 13, 2019
[quote author=landmark86 post=77498312][b]Big lie from Op

[color=#770077]

But tnx to God my brother is now in Cyprus studying Medicine

destiny is involved. you eventually thanked God for him

1 Like

Re: 5 Reasons Most Students Are Not Offered Admission Despite High Post-utme Score by richidinho(m): 7:19am On Apr 13, 2019
amaniro:

School is not just About getting money, being educated is a very good benefit. You can bring ideas when you're among elites.. etc

so if they place the two side by side, which one will you choose ?
Re: 5 Reasons Most Students Are Not Offered Admission Despite High Post-utme Score by Offpoint: 7:20am On Apr 13, 2019
If you need your admission fast, just apply for any northern Uni...
Re: 5 Reasons Most Students Are Not Offered Admission Despite High Post-utme Score by amaniro: 7:21am On Apr 13, 2019
richidinho:

so if they place the two side by side, which one will you choose ?

I'd love to be recognized among elites. Money is not everything.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sexual Harassment: Victim’s Result Still Withheld By OAU After Lecturer’s Jail / 16-Year-Old Boy Arrested For Defiling His 11-Year-Old Schoolmate In Rivers / Covenant University Graduates 238 First Class Honours Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.