Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,759 members, 7,798,540 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 05:13 AM

Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? (35409 Views)

Imo, Anambra And Delta leads in students studying Engineering, Medicine and Law / Do You have any Regrets Studying Engineering? / Top 10 Universities To Study Engineering In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by DIRASTER: 2:44pm On Apr 14, 2019
Dollywood:
Educational system in Nigeria is trash, u only learn theories. In here we only read and study for grades don't expect much.. The country is backward the best way is to study engineering aboard for more outstanding practical knowledge. Pray for Nigeria
WEL BROTHER TO BE SINCER THE ISSUE OF TECHNOLOGY IS NOT ALL ABOUT MATHEMATIC OR NEW SCIENCETIFIC THEORIES,because THERE ARE NIGERIANS OR AFRICANS WHO STUDY ENGINEERING IN ABROAD BUT COULD NOT PERFORM.THE WHITE MEN U SEE HAVE DIETIES THEY CONSULT TO INSPIRE THEM ON SOMETHING THEY ENVISAGE.SO FOR NIGERIANS AND AFRICANS TO BREAK THE RECORD WE MUST GO BACK TO CONSULT THE GODS TO INSPIRE US TO DO EXTRAORDINARY THINGS
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by Talkwisdom(m): 2:44pm On Apr 14, 2019
Dothraki:
Engineering undergraduates study old theories from Way past generation, that is of little relevance to modern engineering. The university system teach so many calculation, and almost nothing on how to apply these mathematics to solve real life problems.

Many of theories learned aren't useless jargon, since we arent taught how to praticalise most of those knowledge, 99.99% of all engineering graduate would have forgotten what they learned by the time they graduate.
We only remember what is useful to us, what help us get through, or things we do constantly. Everything else, our brain trashes it.

Its quiet disturbing Most of the engineering student only read to pass. Which makes one question, are we in school only to pass some paper? If so, modern technology would not have existed at all.
Our primary purpose of studying engineering is to apply scientific discoveries to solve practical problems in the society. But unfortunately the system only made us to study only for grade.
Without practicing what we learn our brain will eventually discard everything as useless

An average engineering graduate does not remember 90% of what he learned in five years, I tried to go through some of my jottings from 300l, i was suprised because it all seem strange to me.. i couldn't remember a thing from the calculations l did with my own hand. A friend of my who have have a very much good grade have the same experience.

Apart from the abstractions of studying engineering in nigeria, most of the curriculum is old, we spent so much time studying theories that should be thought as a mere history. No wonder there havent been any groundbreaking engineering achievement from Nigerian universities

Majority of the engineering jobs that involve applying engineering maneuver will be given to foreigners. Innoson motor employs foreigners to do All of its engineering design, our Nigerian graduate work as if they are
mere technician. Engineering graduate will never apply most of the theories they learn at school. lot of our graduate who are lucky to find job in engineering companies work as a maintenance engineer. Whenever they need new designs or innovation, they hire foreigners to do the job, this is quite sad in my opinion. They have made mockery of 5 years of lifes. Quite sad
Bachelor's degree in Engineering is really an introduction to Engineering. Real Engineering begin from Masters...Please note that Engineering is theory based worldwide and because Nigeria is messed up already. Everybody is playing the blame game.
I have seen so many Nigerian Electrical Engineers who design Electrical Panels but the problem is the GOVERNMENT.The government has made it to so hard for Engineering to thrive, I bet you we have good Engineers but Nigeria is a problem. other countries in the world are also suffering the same

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by CodeTemplar: 2:46pm On Apr 14, 2019
obailala:
I am a qualified and experienced engineer who studied in Nigeria for 5 years, did a 1 year masters overseas and I currently work overseas. The truth is that there's no difference between me and my colleagues who were born and who schooled abroad.

A lot of Nigerians harbour this defeatist idea that they only teach (useless) engineering principles in Nigerian universities and nothing more; this mindset also causes so many of us to lose confidence in ourselves and lose our self worth. I had this mentality also, but when I left the shores of Nigeria to work overseas, I got to realise that those so called 'useless' principles I was taught in my Nigerian university days is exactly what they teach people all over the world. Every other knowledge and skill you add to your portfolio is based on personal effort and proactiveness; you get to be a proper engineer, not by what you are taught in school, but rather by the experiences you gain on the job.

In summary, nobody is really taught to be an engineer in school, you are only taught principles; it is then left to you to make the best out of those principles.
You this APC young man, so you can make sense like this. Your political bias has tilted you a lot.
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by Nobody: 2:50pm On Apr 14, 2019
airminem:
Studying in Nigeria is good but have a God father
Godfather for what?
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by mamdanju: 3:01pm On Apr 14, 2019
Why do we hate our country this much? How can you jump to this kind of conclusion when all your experience was in Nigeria? If your claim is true why do many Nigerians who did their first degree here go on to perform even better than some whites in their countries in postgraduate degrees? For your information, I got 2.1 in civil engineering here and went on to graduate with a distinction in Loughborough university UK for my masters beaten my white colleagues.
I agree we are bugged down with too many courses here in Nigeria especially the GSTs but for the core courses the syllabus is about the same. I also agree that universities need to impart teaching skills to most of our lecturers. Any one who did well in our universities will do well anywhere in the world

2 Likes

Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by jesmond3945: 3:03pm On Apr 14, 2019
vezycash:

Much of what is in the link you posted happened in the 7th and 17th century. Did you even read it?

I wrote about how over 60 million people died of hunger in China (1958 – 1961) and you glossed over it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_famines_in_China

And no, they weren't caused by Natural disasters but by their own government - a product of their own education system.

Any educated person who reads my comments will know that I'm well educated. As for yours...
i wanted to destroy your claim that it was americans that brought development to the chinese. When they were already imbued with ingenuity, they just took what the americans came with it and made it magic. Are they still copying the americans or they have overtaken them? If you mention famine what of the great depression in America that starved millions?
Where is the evidence that is their education system that made them starve, what if it is political? Same thing happnend in former soviet union under dictator stalin? Every communist empire has one time starved their people has nothing to do with education.
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by thesmallgod(m): 3:11pm On Apr 14, 2019
mamdanju:
Why do we hate our country this much? How can you jump to this kind of conclusion when all your experience was in Nigeria? If your claim is true why do many Nigerians who did their first degree here go on to perform even better than some whites in their countries in postgraduate degrees? For your information, I got 2.1 in civil engineering here and went on to graduate with a distinction in Loughborough university UK for my masters beaten my white colleagues.
I agree we are bugged down with too many courses here in Nigeria especially the GSTs but for the core courses the syllabus is about the same. I also agree that universities need to impart teaching skills to most of our lecturers. Any one who did well in our universities will do well anywhere in the world
what are you saying? The op is talking about the output and practicability of what you have learnt in school toward the development of the country in respect to Engineering
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by femarse: 3:16pm On Apr 14, 2019
the engineering student who never even try to build a fan with rotor on his own

Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by sunkieisland(m): 3:24pm On Apr 14, 2019
Dothraki:
, Engineering graduate will never apply most of the theories they learn at school. They have made mockery of 5 years of lifes. Quite sad

You didn't add the years of ASUU strike and other unforseen contingencies.

....ish for Nigerian education system.
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by Nobody: 3:29pm On Apr 14, 2019
thesmallgod:

what are you saying? The op is talking about the output and practicability of what you have learnt in school toward the development of the country in respect to Engineering
thanks so much brother

now everyone have gone overseas and have excelled, and is working in big company, people who studied natural science will make the same claim

honestly Nigerians are just funny. They never address any of my point. They all keep saying the same thing over and over
No wonder many of them go abroad comeback and will not be able to replicate what they have seen overseas.
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by kirchofff(m): 3:30pm On Apr 14, 2019
CodeTemplar:

Nobody is suppose to be teaching you what theory is used for what practical. Reasons being:
There are potentially thousands of practical application of that same theory in various scenarios.
The school or lecturer will end up being biased or promoting some brands. For example a mechanical engr lecturer trying to illustrate something on Toyota vehicle or product may be seen as promoting Toyota at the expense of Kia, Nissan and Honda. Also not that brands tend to use same principles or theories in varying ways and that is what defines their products or brands. Think back to older Volvo models that are always noisy and fuel-efficient in a short time.
You don't seem to get my point. All I'm trying to say is that, teaching the real life application can make the students have increased passion for the course. I have a lot of friends who schooled abroad. The difference is clear. How can you teach topic like calculus, projectile etc and the students only know the calculations, but don't know how it can practically solve a real life problem. The OP is 100percent valid.
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by smith2bj(m): 3:32pm On Apr 14, 2019
Dollywood:
Educational system in Nigeria is trash, u only learn theories. In here we only read and study for grades don't expect much.. The country is backward the best way is to study engineering aboard for more outstanding practical knowledge. Pray for Nigeria

Code Templar has given a clear explanation about this topic.
#Dothraki you don't accept Code Templar point of views n others according to ur comment n you ve concluded that studying enginering in Nigeria is SCAM or trash. pls l want U to answer me these questions

1. Give names of Nigerian wo studied Engineering in Uni.system in UK, USA, JAPAN, GERMANY n other advance countries frm yr 2000 to 2014 that ve invented some thing in their area of specialization.

2. With all due respect are you Engineer? I mean registered by COREN if yes . your area of specialization.
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by gentlepace: 3:36pm On Apr 14, 2019
you are right, I know some engineering graduates. all they can do it solve mathematics from Bayelsa to sokoto
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by Amhappy(f): 3:41pm On Apr 14, 2019
This was an academia discussion during the last NCDMB nogof. The head of ExxonMobil training school said that they don't put fresh Engineering graduate from Nigeria in their system without first sending them to at least 20months training school but graduates from abroad can be absorbed straight. The curriculum is outdated and no relevant internship as IT aim is not achieved. IT students are turned to errand boys. When COREN was asked what they will do about it,he was just speaking grammar.
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by thesmallgod(m): 3:49pm On Apr 14, 2019
Amhappy:
This was an academia discussion during the last NCDMB nogof. The head of ExxonMobil trading school said that they don't put fresh Engineering graduate from Nigeria in their system without first sending them to at least 20months training school but graduates from abroad can be absorbed straight. The curriculum is outdated and no relevant internship as IT aim is not achieved. IT students are turned to errand boys. When COREN was asked what they will do about it,he was just speaking grammar.
COREN is another SCAM grin

1 Like

Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by OGHENAOGIE(m): 3:50pm On Apr 14, 2019
uuzba:

I pray for your generation. You guys have this "Entitlement" mentality.
They should give me. They should give me...
-
You need to change that mentality .
My wife was born in Okokomaiko, in Lagos. The bullsh1t capital of Nigeria.
She went to a bullsh1t school with bullsh1t everything. And their bullsh1t teacher told all of them that they are all stupid and foolish and all of them will end up useless in life.
My wife, then a little girl decided to start reading all her books. She purchased the prospectus of primary school and read all the books complete without waiting for teacher. No NEPA, no phone . no TV. She began scoring first position in class.

She used the same tactic in secondary school. Purchase the prospectus, gather the books, buy from market, collect from senior students. Read all. First position

She did the same for University.... She got 2.1 because her department didn't want to give her 1st class.

She joined UAC and was doing food quality inspection.. She's a a food tech graduate.
Somebody told her about scholarship for masters. She browsed the site and submitted her documents. And they gave her. €33,000 scholarship in Europe
Remember, her parents are still living in Okomomaiko the bullsh1t neighborhood.

She travelled yo Europe, and did the masters. And saved the money.

I knew here from Nigeria University. Before she travelled. I was overseas when when came there. We look ourself, informed our parents and married in UK.
-
Guy, stop expecting government to do.anything for you.
Find your level. With God all things are possible.
-
You need to be focused in this life and prayerful to God. Not just giving excuses everytime. Do your part, God will send help to you when it is needed.
I agree but we still need to get d govt working...de are many stories like ur wife and many more that experienced set back despite d push and doggedness...dats yy I said we either reset dis society or it reset itself....its not an entitlement thing...
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by wirinet(m): 3:51pm On Apr 14, 2019
Talkwisdom:

Bachelor's degree in Engineering is really an introduction to Engineering. Real Engineering begin from Masters...Please note that Engineering is theory based worldwide and because Nigeria is messed up already. Everybody is playing the blame game.
I have seen so many Nigerian Electrical Engineers who design Electrical Panels but the problem is the GOVERNMENT.The government has made it to so hard for Engineering to thrive, I bet you we have good Engineers but Nigeria is a problem. other countries in the world are also suffering the same

Still the same excuses. How is the government making it hard for engineering to thrive? You mean, you design and engineering solution to one of the numerous engineering challenge we have in Nigeria and the government banned you?
I had a friend who dropped out of year one from elect/elect department in Ife and started building LED signage. He took his product to Alaba to demonstrate to guys selling such imported items. He started getting orders. I borrowed him money to start business. He did very well and now he is out of the country. This was far back in early 2000s, when Internet was still a novelty in Nigeria.
There are many companies with numerous engineering challenges and nobody to solve them. They have to import engineers from outside Nigeria to help repair and service their industrial equipments.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by uuzba(m): 3:56pm On Apr 14, 2019
OGHENAOGIE:
I agree but we still need to get d govt working...de are many stories like ur wife and many more that experienced set back despite d push and doggedness...dats yy I said we either reset dis society or it reset itself....its not an entitlement thing...
During her secondary school, Miriam Babangida came to their school to give prize to the best students.
It's ruler and exercise book they gave her O. That is all she ever recieved from Nigerian government.

Sowore, Charly Boy and co tried to get us to vote out these old politicians ruining Nigeria. But instead we decided to fight each other on tribalistic grounds, calling each other foolish names all over the internet, Afonja, Flat head, skull miner, chest beater.... Natural habitat = inside prison.... At the end, the same old men are still controlling afairs of the country.
Leave government alone. The problem is you the youth. You are too triblaistic and uncoordinated. You just want problems solved but cannot work together to solve the problems.
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by Nobody: 3:59pm On Apr 14, 2019
smith2bj:

#Dothraki you don't accept Code Templar point of views n others according to ur comment n you ve concluded that studying enginering in Nigeria is SCAM or trash. pls l want U to answer me these questions

1. Give names of Nigerian wo studied Engineering in Uni.system in UK, USA, JAPAN, GERMANY n other advance countries frm yr 2000 to 2014 that ve invented some thing in their area of specialization.

2. With all due respect are you Engineer? I mean registered by COREN if yes . your area of specialization.
you obviously lack comprehension. People like you will be put "engr" behind your name and will not be able to solve any practical problem. The only thing you do is talk, talk and talk.

Codetempler point have been trashed by so many people here and i will not add to that

ONLY this guy addressed the point i raised, about the usefulness and practicality Nigerian engineering, education, and rightfully so because he studied civil engineering, civil engineering is the just about the ONLY
discipline that is well practiced in this country.

the rest are just bragging ans keep saying irrelevant stuffs just like you
eminemkayc:
For someone who has put in over fifteen years practicing core engineering design and applied mathematical principles in solving a vast array of structural statics, dynamics ,impusive and geotechnic engineering problems, I completely disagree with the notion as presented in the opening remarks. I was trained in nigeria and Iv applied all I was taught as an undergraduate in the design of bridges, water retaining structures, slope stabilization

Unless you are able to come up with valid response like this, shut up and stop beating around the bush

3 Likes

Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by OGHENAOGIE(m): 4:02pm On Apr 14, 2019
uuzba:

During her secondary school, Miriam Babangida came to their school to give prize to the best students.
It's ruler and exercise book they gave her O. That is all she ever recieved from Nigerian government.
am sure in d other side it would have been more Even from private citizens... dats yy Daniel igali went to Canada and remain dee winning Canadian ist Olympic gold In wrestling...today he is back to Nigeria... anyway like say let's keep pushing
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by Nobody: 4:03pm On Apr 14, 2019
Amhappy:
This was an academia discussion during the last NCDMB nogof. The head of ExxonMobil trading school said that they don't put fresh Engineering graduate from Nigeria in their system without first sending them to at least 20months training school but graduates from abroad can be absorbed straight. The curriculum is outdated and no relevant internship as IT aim is not achieved. IT students are turned to errand boys. When COREN was asked what they will do about it,he was just speaking grammar.
thank ma, you are very knowledgable
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by jefff455: 4:05pm On Apr 14, 2019
Dothraki:
pls dothraki are you an engineer if yes what's your area of specialisation

1 Like

Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by wirinet(m): 4:05pm On Apr 14, 2019
kirchofff:

You don't seem to get my point. All I'm trying to say is that, teaching the real life application can make the students have increased passion for the course. I have a lot of friends who schooled abroad. The difference is clear. How can you teach topic like calculus, projectile etc and the students only know the calculations, but don't know how it can practically solve a real life problem. The OP is 100percent valid.

Gbam.
Nigerian educational system is just cram and pass, and then obtain paper qualification. Most don't even understand how what they crammed apply to real world situation.
Although I studied architecture, I have a very curious mind. I must know how things work. That's why I was never religious. I broke our TV when I was young just to know how TVs work. And I did not stop until I learn R-C oscillator circuits, modulation and demodulation of radio frequency signals, etc.
I have asked a group of graduates to explan the real meaning of sin30 and WHY it is 0.5. Non was able to answer correctly. Everyone knows sin30 is 0.5, but how many graduates and even post graduates know why?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by Nobody: 4:05pm On Apr 14, 2019
wirinet:

Still the same excuses. How is the government making it hard for engineering to thrive? You mean, you design and engineering solution to one of the numerous engineering challenge we have in Nigeria and the government banned you?
I had a friend who dropped out of year one from elect/elect department in Ife and started building LED signage. He took his product to Alaba to demonstrate to guys selling such imported items. He started getting orders. I borrowed him money to start business. He did very well and now he is out of the country. This was far back in early 2000s, when Internet was still a novelty in Nigeria.
There are many companies with numerous engineering challenges and nobody to solve them. They have to import engineers from outside Nigeria to help repair and service their industrial equipments.
thanks so much sir
These guy just like putting useless and impractical knowledge in their head, they will come here and be defending nonsense
Is 5 years not enough to learn engineering ?
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by smith2bj(m): 4:07pm On Apr 14, 2019

Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by Nobody: 4:07pm On Apr 14, 2019
I really appreciate all the responses coming from well meaning Nigerians. Who actually UNDERSTAND how things work in reality.
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by vezycash(m): 4:10pm On Apr 14, 2019
jesmond3945:
i wanted to destroy your claim that it was americans that brought development to the chinese. When they were already imbued with ingenuity, they just took what the americans came with it and made it magic. Are they still copying the americans or they have overtaken them? If you mention famine what of the great depression in America that starved millions?
Where is the evidence that is their education system that made them starve, what if it is political? Same thing happnend in former soviet union under dictator stalin? Every communist empire has one time starved their people has nothing to do with education.

LMAO you are perfect specimen of Nigerian schooling.
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by obailala(m): 4:12pm On Apr 14, 2019
ojay36:

If i may sir, what country did you get your Meng from and how has the degree gotten abroad helped your profession?
I studied mechanical engineering in Nigeria and did my masters in a UK uni. I would say the biggest thing the UK masters did for me was to boost my confidence in myself; it helped me realise that contrary to my earlier thoughts that I learnt nothing in my Nigerian Bachelor's, the fact is that my foreign colleagues were not better than me knowledge-wise, they were only just more confident. And with time, I gained my own confidence too.
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by Nobody: 4:12pm On Apr 14, 2019
Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by proffemi: 4:14pm On Apr 14, 2019
wirinet:

Gbam.
Nigerian educational system is just cram and pass, and then obtain paper qualification. Most don't even understand how what they crammed apply to real world situation.
Although I studied architecture, I have a very curious mind. I must know how things work. That's why I was never religious. I broke our TV when I was young just to know how TVs work. And I did not stop until I learn R-C oscillator circuits, modulation and demodulation of radio frequency signals, etc.
I have asked a group of graduates to explan the real meaning of sin30 and WHY it is 0.5. Non was able to answer correctly. Everyone knows sin30 is 0.5, but how many graduates and even post graduates know why?

A system in which students pay the equivalent of $500 for an entire engineering degree cannot but have flaws. To expect otherwise is to be deluded.

The real question is:do all engineering graduates of Nigeria have these same deficits you and OP are complaining about? The answer is a big, fat "no!". Those who are willing to go the extra mile *on their own* have successfully passed through this system and worked in top positions around the globe. I myself can count dozens of my former students in this category. It is those who were unable to do the extra work that are whining. After paying a pittance compared to what the graduates from the Stanfords and MITs of this world pay, you want world-class engineering education to fall on you. Beeni! (yinmu)

Op's point that more hands-on components is needed is true, but he left his ignorance hanging out when he made this statement "...most of the curriculum is old, we spent so much time studying theories that should be thought as a mere history".

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by Nobody: 4:19pm On Apr 14, 2019
proffemi:

The level of ignorance here is appalling. Where did you get your stats from? I teach for a living. I have taught engineering for decades. Your stats are complete hogwash, and I wonder why you're trumpeting them so confidently.

Omo, did you just say decades, so you be like really really real prof then, alright make I shut up grin

1 Like

Re: Is Studying Engineering In Nigeria A Scam? by Philosopher1979: 4:20pm On Apr 14, 2019
THE IMPORTANCE OF TECHNICAL/PRACTICAL EDUCATION

The problem is that we have relegated technical/practical education to the background. I studied computer science and when i told my father i wanted to learn how to repair computers, he did not listen to me. Most engineering graduates consider it degrading to learn practical/technical skills. We dont understand education in Nigeria. We are just going to school to get certificate and fullfill all righteousness.

Polytechnics and technical schools are not inferior, they are just for a different purpose but most Nigerians dont get it. You can go to a mechanic workshop to learn some practicals or go to an electrician to learn practicals but this is seen as degrading by most Nigerian graduates. Also, we dont have a reading culture and only read to pass exams. If you read out of sheer curiosity, you will discover something.

Our approach to education in this country has to change

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply)

Uniben Best Graduating Student In Surgery Receives New Laptop And 100 Pounds / 2013 TOTAL E & P Nigeria National Merit SCHOLARSHIP / Students Representing Kano In A Quiz Die In Fatal Accident. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.