Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,340 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:33 AM

What Does Bible Mean By "The Righteousness That Exceeds That Of The Pharisees?" - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Does Bible Mean By "The Righteousness That Exceeds That Of The Pharisees?" (8589 Views)

Why Did The Pharisees Ask Jesus To Rebuke The People In These Verses? / What Does The Bible Mean By The Gates Of Hell? / What Does The Bible Mean By "He That Overcometh Shall Inherit All Things?" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Does Bible Mean By "The Righteousness That Exceeds That Of The Pharisees?" by sagieramos(m): 7:45am On Apr 14, 2019
Not hypocritical righteousness
Re: What Does Bible Mean By "The Righteousness That Exceeds That Of The Pharisees?" by Nosu(m): 7:50am On Apr 14, 2019
OkaNaUbe:
Before you comment on this post, "certify that you Believe in God Almighty and Jesus Christ is the Son Of God and it will be posted on your profile". Can Seun and co do this for us Christians?

I still spoke about it with my wife this morning. It is disgusting that he did it for only his faith and he left the other faiths open to everyone and anyone.

The day I discovered it, I lost interest in Nairaland. You can check my profile I have been here for a while. I say it again it is disgusting.
Re: What Does Bible Mean By "The Righteousness That Exceeds That Of The Pharisees?" by Eaglenimi: 7:51am On Apr 14, 2019
Pharisee's based their righteousness on law, religion, etc why the righteousness talking about there is the righteousness preached by Jesus Christ I.e the Pharisees will religiously want you to wash your hands before eating, giving their tithe in mint leaving the right things they were suppose to do.
Re: What Does Bible Mean By "The Righteousness That Exceeds That Of The Pharisees?" by tonyskill: 7:52am On Apr 14, 2019
Eating pop corn has become the tradition at the movies but not many know the inherrent dangers , be careful before you order that extra bucket

http://yougetmouth.com/careful-before-you-order-that-extra-popcorn-at-the-movies/
Re: What Does Bible Mean By "The Righteousness That Exceeds That Of The Pharisees?" by Omnig: 7:52am On Apr 14, 2019
God righteousness supercede every other form of righteousness, including that of the Pharisees
Re: What Does Bible Mean By "The Righteousness That Exceeds That Of The Pharisees?" by Nobody: 7:56am On Apr 14, 2019
Nosu:

I still spoke about it with my wife this morning. It is disgusting that he did it for only his faith and he left the other faiths open to everyone and anyone.

The day I discovered it, I lost interest in Nairaland. You can check my profile I have been here for a while. I say it again it is disgusting.

Seun is an atheist.
Re: What Does Bible Mean By "The Righteousness That Exceeds That Of The Pharisees?" by Mekanus(m): 8:05am On Apr 14, 2019
nony43:
Abeg make una help me, I be choir boy but now hustle no de gree me open my Bible
Hustle on bro, you don't need that shiit book for anything.
Re: What Does Bible Mean By "The Righteousness That Exceeds That Of The Pharisees?" by MikeBetty(m): 8:30am On Apr 14, 2019
Lanrextop23333:
Are the Pharisees righteousnes
The Righteousness Of The Pharisees Is Simply An Eye Service. Remember Jesus Called Them People That Wash Outter Part Of Cup Without Washing Inside. The Just Keep The Law Not For The Love Of God But To Be Seen As Keepers Of The Law.
Re: What Does Bible Mean By "The Righteousness That Exceeds That Of The Pharisees?" by mu2sa2: 8:47am On Apr 14, 2019
Ayoswit:
I wish the Muslims can be given thesame condition they give to Christians before commenting on their thread. undecided.
Not necessarily because not one of the 1.2 billion Muslims on earth will ever insult jesus the way some people insult their prophet on nl. If they are weaned of their uncouthness perhaps nl mods will lift the condition, which by the way is meant to stop rascals, not Christians per se.
Re: What Does Bible Mean By "The Righteousness That Exceeds That Of The Pharisees?" by Kentuforchrist(m): 9:15am On Apr 14, 2019
ollah1:

No. It shows that you are full of hate, lies etc.

seems u ave taking ur osogbo weed abi
Re: What Does Bible Mean By "The Righteousness That Exceeds That Of The Pharisees?" by tealaw2: 9:17am On Apr 14, 2019
Ok Let me explain:
When we say the righteousness of God; the Pharisees or ours, we mean the 'rightness' of God etc
When God talked about something like a dead tree. And he said the tree was flourishing with green leaves, for example; even though to us,that tree is glaringly dead,the fact that God is always ' right' will make that tree come back to life and flourish. So therefore, the righteous of the Pharisees is not the same as ours. Cos the Pharisees followed doctrines all the time and Jesus was always against doctrines. What is ' right' to the Pharisees is not or not supposed to be what is right to us 'Christians'. Understand one thing, theres a difference between being religious and being a Christian.
Re: What Does Bible Mean By "The Righteousness That Exceeds That Of The Pharisees?" by Nobody: 9:23am On Apr 14, 2019
mu2sa2:
Not necessarily because not one of the 1.2 billion Muslims on earth will ever insult jesus the way some people insult their prophet on nl. If they are weaned of their uncouthness perhaps nl mods will lift the condition, which by the way is meant to stop rascals, not Christians per se.

Thanks for this. I have always said the exact thing

ollah1:

The conditions wouldn't be there in the first place if Christians hadn't proved to be bigoted and hateful hypocrite. We can see how this thread is without any form of curse or derailing and its gonna be same for other Christian threads that hit front page today, go and check Muslim threads that git here just two days and every Muslim thread that appears on front page every Friday. It's always full bile, hate etc from Christians
Re: What Does Bible Mean By "The Righteousness That Exceeds That Of The Pharisees?" by unstoppable51(m): 11:05am On Apr 14, 2019
Omnig:
God righteousness supercede every other form of righteousness, including that of the Pharisees
Absolutely
Re: What Does Bible Mean By "The Righteousness That Exceeds That Of The Pharisees?" by cardoctor(m): 11:08am On Apr 14, 2019
The righteousness of any man is like filthy rags before God.

2 Likes

Re: What Does Bible Mean By "The Righteousness That Exceeds That Of The Pharisees?" by MadamExcellency: 11:22am On Apr 14, 2019
tactius:

It is a good thing that we Christians don't have an oath.

Shows we are mature enough to handle any insults.

Doing according to the verse of the scriptures quoted below is certainly taking an oath. Reflect on this

Romans 10:9-10
[9]That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
[10]For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

1 Like

Re: What Does Bible Mean By "The Righteousness That Exceeds That Of The Pharisees?" by Honesty007(m): 12:59pm On Apr 14, 2019
Humility is the righteousness being talked about in christ and not the show show off that i am good to people of the faith and the world type.its not the hypocritical type of it.
Re: What Does Bible Mean By "The Righteousness That Exceeds That Of The Pharisees?" by kernniejay(m): 2:05pm On Apr 14, 2019
The Pharisees (and Sadducees and Sanhedrins) were righteous and steadfast in keeping the law of Moses, their problem was that they never believe in Jesus.
Re: What Does Bible Mean By "The Righteousness That Exceeds That Of The Pharisees?" by prettyliz(f): 5:18pm On Apr 14, 2019
I believe it means that true Righteousness isn't about being religious but truly knowing
Re: What Does Bible Mean By "The Righteousness That Exceeds That Of The Pharisees?" by adegeye38(m): 5:46pm On Apr 14, 2019
The Pharisees were not really righteous, they were just putting up an act, what Christ simply meant was that, you must be really righteous truly and not put up a facade or be hypocritical
Re: What Does Bible Mean By "The Righteousness That Exceeds That Of The Pharisees?" by adegeye38(m): 5:49pm On Apr 14, 2019
unstoppable51:
From FeedMeJesus.com

(Mat 5:20) For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Is there a righteousness that exceeds the righteousness of the Pharisees that one must have to enter into Heaven? What was Jesus trying to say in Matthew 5:20? let’s take a careful look at that scripture again.

First of all, what is the righteousness of the Pharisees that Jesus was talking about in that verse?

It is simply a kind of righteousness that comes through personal obedience to the Law of Moses, the Torah. It is also known as self-righteousness since it requires a personal keeping of the Ten Commandments and statutes.

Now why will Jesus say one must have a kind of righteousness that exceeds that of the Pharisee to enter heaven?

First is because the Bible calls that kind of righteousness (self-righteousness) a filthy rag before God.

(Isa 64:6) But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

What Isaiah meant by that “filthy rag” in that verse is not the usual kind of rag you use in cleaning dust from your car’s windscreen or shoes. It’s far more than that.

The word “filthy rag” refers to a used menstrual rag. An older form of sanitary pad used by the ladies in Israel as at the time that portion of the Bible was written. That was what Isaiah compared the righteousness of the Pharisees to.

Again, if the righteousness of the Pharisees that comes by personal obedience to the Mosaic laws could take anyone to heaven, then we may have something to boast of since we got there by our works. We could as well beat up our chests and mock those who couldn’t “work” themselves in.

(Rom 3:27) Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith.

(Rom 4:2) For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God.

Lastly, the righteousness of the Pharisees is actually disguised hypocrisy. Among people, they pretend to have no fault or weakness as humans, making themselves appear as though they never sin in order to win the praises of men.

(Mat 23:24) Ye blind guides, which strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel.

(Mat 23:25) Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye make clean the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within they are full of extortion and excess.

(Mat 23:26) Thou blind Pharisee, cleanse first that which is within the cup and platter, that the outside of them may be clean also.

(Mat 23:27) Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness.

(Mat 23:28) Even so ye also outwardly appear righteous unto men, but within ye are full of hypocrisy and iniquity.

Claiming to be 100 percent all the time in their performance and trusting in their own abilities, they are hardly able to humble themselves to receive the grace and mercy of God for man.

So what righteousness supersedes this kind?

It is the righteousness of God in Christ that is received as a gift by faith and not works. This is the righteousness that justifies a man and qualifies him to not only reign in life but also to enter into heaven.

Through His death, burial and resurrection, Jesus obtained this kind of righteousness and freely offers it to all who would believe in Him as their Saviour from Sin and it’s penalties.

(Rom 3:20) Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

(Rom 3:21) But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;

(Rom 3:22) Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:

(Rom 3:23) For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

(Rom 3:24) Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

(Rom 3:25) Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;

(Rom 3:26) To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.

It is this kind of righteousness Jesus had in mind when He said in Matthew 6:33, “But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and HIS righteousness……” That is what we have been called to receive in Christ. That is the righteousness that supersedes that of the Pharisees.

That righteousness has been given to you freely in Christ.

I hope this blesses you.

Glory to God!

Source: https://www.feedmejesus.com/2019/03/the-righteousness-that-exceeds-that-of.html

The Pharisees were not really righteous, they were just putting up an act, what Christ simply meant was that, you must be really righteous truly and not put up a facade or be hypocritical

1 Like

Re: What Does Bible Mean By "The Righteousness That Exceeds That Of The Pharisees?" by nwaimoroseyaho: 6:25pm On Apr 14, 2019
They did their righteous deeds before men to receive glory from men. They washed the outside of the cup leaving the inside dirty. They appeared righteous just for men to see but in the secret were full of unrighteousness.

1 Like

Re: What Does Bible Mean By "The Righteousness That Exceeds That Of The Pharisees?" by Kobojunkie: 5:35pm On Nov 15, 2023
nwaimoroseyaho:
They did their righteous deeds before men to receive glory from men. They washed the outside of the cup leaving the inside dirty. They appeared righteous just for men to see but in the secret were full of unrighteousness.
Their righteousness was altogether made filthy in the sight of God by the presence of their many sins as Isaiah made clear in Isaiah 64 vs 1 - 6. For a person to attain the righteousness that exceeds that of the Pharisees, such would have to first attain holiness, completely absolution from all his previous sins, so that sin no longer has a chance to render a filthy abomination the works of his hands before God. undecided

(1) (2) (Reply)

Have You Ever Considered You Are Nothing Without God? / Nairaland Has Destroyed Many Religious Soul(must Read) / New Minimum Wage: Slash Your Salaries To Pay Workers N30,000 – Rev. Gbadero Tell

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.