Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,728 members, 7,805,991 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:48 AM

Israel Adesanya Wins UFC Interim Middleweight title at UFC 236 - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Israel Adesanya Wins UFC Interim Middleweight title at UFC 236 (21053 Views)

Kamaru Usman Has History In Sight At UFC 278 Against Leon Edwards / UFC: Conor Mcgregor Injures Ankle, Poirier Wins UFC 264 Showdown (Graphic Video) / Israel Adesanya Retains UFC Middleweight Title, Defeats Vettori (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Israel Adesanya Wins UFC Interim Middleweight title at UFC 236 by meobizy(f): 11:58am On Apr 14, 2019
kayfra:

What flag did you see next to his name and whoch country did Bruce Buffer, the announcer, say he was representing? Nigeria

Israel is a proud Nigerian. Omoluabi to the core. You saw his Yoruba parents too abi? Dem speak Kiwi to you?

Stop hating. Omoluabis keep representing. grin
Okay o.
I don hear.
Re: Israel Adesanya Wins UFC Interim Middleweight title at UFC 236 by reidkrugger(m): 12:03pm On Apr 14, 2019
NPComplete:

Keep deceiving yourself. When u are done, tell me how a 44 year old BJJ fighter who has been out of practice for over 2 years will take down a fighter like Isreal with one of the best take down defences and striking ability in the UFC. And don't forget that Silva also has to worry about punches when going for the takedown.

You can only deceive yourself and other online casuals about your knowledge and experience with MMA. Those of us that know better aren't fazed and will just keep laughing and watching u hype urself. Lol

Dan Henderson was around 45 when he fought a 30s Bisping whom he'd previously beaten in the first fight. He lost d second unanimously but painted himself and d canvass with d blood of Bisping. Bisping didn't really fight in dat match and d UFC knew dat they couldn't afford to let Dan win dat match becuz he'll be retiring with d belt. hence d loss. look it up.
U talk take downs. Most people dat secure diz r wrestlers and Judo practitioners. U dont just say, oh I want to take dis guy down. The opportunity must present itself. there is no time to think in fights, u jus go with d flow. If Adesanya struggles with Gastelum or didn't meet ur expectations, does dat make him a lesser fighter? Ofcuz not. He probably was overwhelmed or didn't train well enough for Gastelum. FYI, Tyrone woodley lost to Kamaru, our Nigerian brother. I hope u know who Tyrone is?
Re: Israel Adesanya Wins UFC Interim Middleweight title at UFC 236 by Nobody: 12:16pm On Apr 14, 2019
writefreely:
Is he an Israelite?
No he is a German
Re: Israel Adesanya Wins UFC Interim Middleweight title at UFC 236 by jidobaba(m): 12:18pm On Apr 14, 2019
"... Fighting out of Auckland, New Zealand,.. "
Una nor dey listen to Bruce Buffer?

Izzy needs to start finishing more of these top guys. He plays too much.
Re: Israel Adesanya Wins UFC Interim Middleweight title at UFC 236 by Truth234(m): 12:36pm On Apr 14, 2019
kayfra:

I saw a lot of holes in Israel's game tonight that worries me.
1. He's not using his reach advantage effectively like Jones cause Kevin kept tagging him. So he will have difficulty with anybody with decent footwork that knows how to quickly cover some distance. Whitaker fight will be interesting to watch.
2. He didn't release his full striking arsenal as often as I'd like. Kevin is one of the best, but that fight was mostly on the feet and for an ex Muay Thai fighter, it was highly competitive than it needed to be.
3. His take down defense tonight was great, but how does he handle a high caliber pressure wrestler in the mold of Weidman?
4. He took too many shots in the head, so his movement was pretty flat tonight. But i noticed that happened after Kevin dropped him in the first round. Everyone has a olan till you get punched in the face, according to Tyson. I don't see him surviving a 3rd Romero onslaught
5. His jujitsu looked sloppy when he tried that triangle. He better not get on the ground with someone like Jacare

Those are my top concerns based on this performance, but Israel learns quickly and keeps improving for someone that just started mma a few years ago.

I'll keep supporting. Now, he better shut up about fighting Jon Jones. Ofe ku niye grin

After watching Dana White post-fight interview, I will give him a pass for this fight. He was on vacation when they called him for this fight, he said he took it immediately. Conor will never do that, Dana White actually believe Isreal can be the next PPV star.

Unification is in the work for August, Isreal might just be next big thing in UFC.

Even White admitted this is the best UFC fight he has seen.

Kevin has been in training for this fight, Isreal replaced Whittaker.

He is one of the most skilled UFC fighters ever, it would be hard to beat him based on skill level. He dismantles wrestlers even faster, you won't touch him, he will break you from a distance.

This is a title fight, Gastelum is no joke.

Nigeria now has two world champion in UFC, press are already asking if UFC will stage a fight or do something in Africa soon.

Make we celebrate abeg.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Israel Adesanya Wins UFC Interim Middleweight title at UFC 236 by kayfra: 12:47pm On Apr 14, 2019
jidobaba:
"... Fighting out of Auckland, New Zealand,.. "
Una nor dey listen to Bruce Buffer?

Izzy needs to start finishing more of these top guys. He plays too much.

...By the way of Lagos. NIGERIA

Listen to Buffer again and look at your screen. Which flag was next to his name? Kiwi or Naija?
Re: Israel Adesanya Wins UFC Interim Middleweight title at UFC 236 by kayfra: 12:52pm On Apr 14, 2019
Truth234:

After watching Dana White post-fight interview, I will give him a pass for this fight. He was on vacation when they called him for this fight, he said he took it immediately. Conor will never do that, Dana White actually believe Isreal can be the next PPV star.

Unification is in the work for August, Isreal might just be next big thing in UFC.

Even White admitted this is the best UFC fight he has seen.

Kevin has been in training for this fight, Isreal replaced Whittaker.

He is one of the most skilled UFC fighters ever, it would be hard to beat him based on skill level. He dismantles wrestlers even faster, you won't touch him, he will break you from a distance.

This is a title fight, Gastelum is no joke.

Nigeria now has two world champion in UFC, press are already asking if UFC will stage a fight or do something in Africa soon.

Make we celebrate abeg.

He's had too many fights in the past year and a half. But that's not an excuse in MMA. Kelvin trained for a different opponent, Whitaker. Which was also during Adesanya's last fight.

He needs to focus on his holes and not excuse them away. I am a fan of Israel even back in his Muai Thai days. I want him to succeed
Re: Israel Adesanya Wins UFC Interim Middleweight title at UFC 236 by dalass(f): 12:53pm On Apr 14, 2019
Omo Yoruba representing and setting the pace grin
Re: Israel Adesanya Wins UFC Interim Middleweight title at UFC 236 by cooljude(m): 1:19pm On Apr 14, 2019
NPComplete:

What are u saying? He couldn't maul Gastelum with almost a foot of height advantage and 8 inches of reach advantage and u are saying he will cruch Rockhold? Lol. Gastelum even had him in the 4th round or did u watch another fight?
Unfortunately we haven't seen Adesanya's ground game and considering his history, it isn't likely he is good on the ground.

Wait did u just mention Silva? Anderson Silva is 44 and hasn't fought in over 2 years. And u are claiming he beat that Silva? Lol. Don't make me laugh please.

What are you saying oga! He dominated Gastelum on the ground and I can remember vividly that everyone expected Gasteleum to knock him out or out-wrestle Izzy. Israel is a great fighter with a good background from Kickboxing, boxing, K1, muay thai and his record shows how dominant he was. I am not saying he can't be beaten but anyone still calling him a hype needs to keep quiet.
Re: Israel Adesanya Wins UFC Interim Middleweight title at UFC 236 by Jaqenhghar: 1:23pm On Apr 14, 2019
NPComplete:
He is the interim champion because the champion's out sick.
A lot of people still believe Izzy is a hype though because he couldn't finish Gastelum despite his significant height and reach advantage and Gastelum is like the 4th ranked Middleweight fighter. But at least with this fight he has proven he is a top 5 contender at the very least.
I will like to see how he does against the likes of Whitaker, Yoel Romero and Luke Rockhold in this 185lb division before I actually decide about him.

For now he should shut up about Jon Jones and focus on acquiring some grappling skills. Jon Jones will maul him judging by his recent performance against Silva and Gastelum.
You said the championn9s sick?
Re: Israel Adesanya Wins UFC Interim Middleweight title at UFC 236 by ElGrecco(m): 1:29pm On Apr 14, 2019
You have to give it to both fighters, Isreal is a precision striker and Gastelum is no walk over. He used the over hand strike very well, a technique that is mostly favoured by short fighters to cover for what they lack in height. Isreal against silva was more of a transition for Isreal, both fighters were very careful and didn't go all out against each other. Isreal knew he had a lot to lose in the match if he gets beaten by a old Spider. Isreal and Usman are making us proud. One day, I might be the next big thing in fight sport.
Re: Israel Adesanya Wins UFC Interim Middleweight title at UFC 236 by kayfra: 1:33pm On Apr 14, 2019
Israel Adesanya speaking Yoruba on ESPN. The source of his motivation for that brilliant round 5

Aya bi ti Ekun. The heart of a lion

grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbyayoD752k
Re: Israel Adesanya Wins UFC Interim Middleweight title at UFC 236 by samsam2019: 1:34pm On Apr 14, 2019
NPComplete:

Nobody said he'll get schooled against Silva. Isreal was the favorite going into that fight and Silva was the underdog. Go and check it again. Everyone knew he was gonna beat Silva.
I don't know about the betting odds but the comments online on fight pages were supporting Silva.

And Silva can never be an underdog in any fight even if he's 1000 years. Man is probably the greatest MMA fighter ever
Re: Israel Adesanya Wins UFC Interim Middleweight title at UFC 236 by Jbcmotive(m): 1:35pm On Apr 14, 2019
Israel Adesanya is God in UFC. Bold, Confidence and Style all packed in one body.
Re: Israel Adesanya Wins UFC Interim Middleweight title at UFC 236 by samsam2019: 1:35pm On Apr 14, 2019
reidkrugger:

Dude. Jones go maul Israel. No go there.
maul him? Like he's some B grade fighter? Israel's greatest strength is his movements and evasive ability. He may not have his power but will surely frustrate him with his movements
Re: Israel Adesanya Wins UFC Interim Middleweight title at UFC 236 by Kfed4ril(m): 1:36pm On Apr 14, 2019
inoki247:
is the guy representing Isreal or Nigeria

Lol, his name is Isreal Adesanya, based in New Zealand, but always repping naija just like his counterpart kamaru usman.
Re: Israel Adesanya Wins UFC Interim Middleweight title at UFC 236 by kayfra: 1:37pm On Apr 14, 2019
samsam2019:
maul him? Like he's some B grade fighter? Israel's greatest strength is his movements and evasive ability. He may not have his power but will surely frustrate him with his movements

Jones will maul Israel. Let's behave ourselves
Re: Israel Adesanya Wins UFC Interim Middleweight title at UFC 236 by Dovehorizon: 1:37pm On Apr 14, 2019
Lolz, should Israel move up in weight, Jones will annihilate him, Jones is a different beast a Goat, that's a fight Israel should avoid as he is not ready for Jones

samsam2019:
it's good to see greatness and appreciate. To belittle a guy who has pain his dues is just pure hating

Before he faced Silva everyone said he'd get schooled but he beat the old man soundly. Jones is another case entirely as he is light heavyweight. Israel will have to move up in weight( which he can do) . His grappling may not be as good as bones but he is a far better striker than him and he's also faster. Also bones is a drug cheat
Re: Israel Adesanya Wins UFC Interim Middleweight title at UFC 236 by fabyom: 1:38pm On Apr 14, 2019
ElGrecco:
You have to give it to both fighters, Isreal is a precision striker and Gastelum is no walk over. He used the over hand strike very well, a technique that is mostly favoured by short fighters to cover for what they lack in height. Isreal against silva was more of a transition for Isreal, both fighters were very careful and didn't go all out against each other. Isreal knew he had a lot to lose in the match if he gets beaten by a old Spider. Isreal and Usman are making us proud. One day, I might be the next big thing in fight sport.
Rooting for you from now, bro.
Wish you all the best.
Remember this handle
Re: Israel Adesanya Wins UFC Interim Middleweight title at UFC 236 by kayfra: 1:39pm On Apr 14, 2019
Re: Israel Adesanya Wins UFC Interim Middleweight title at UFC 236 by Nobody: 2:07pm On Apr 14, 2019
NPComplete:
A lot of people still believe Izzy is a hype though because he couldn't finish Gastelum despite his significant height and reach advantage and Gastelum is like the 4th ranked Middleweight fighter. But at least with this fight he has proven he is a top 5 contender at the very least.
I will like to see how he does against the likes of Whitaker, Yoel Romero and Luke Rockhold in this 185lb division before I actually decide about him.

For now he should shut up about Jon Jones and focus on acquiring some grappling skills. Jon Jones will maul him judging by his recent performance against Silva and Gastelum.

Jon Jones will cook and eat Adesanya grin grin, even anthony smith will beat adesanya. Nontheless, adesanya is one of the best fighting talents but he will be stupid to face Jon Jones. He should gather more strenghth, experience, training for now or else, jons will just finish his carrier by giving him life injury.
Re: Israel Adesanya Wins UFC Interim Middleweight title at UFC 236 by NPComplete: 2:12pm On Apr 14, 2019
samsam2019:
I don't know about the betting odds but the comments online on fight pages were supporting Silva.

And Silva can never be an underdog in any fight even if he's 1000 years. Man is probably the greatest MMA fighter ever

Nope he is not. Doesn't even come close. Which fight pages were supporting an old man? All the ones I know weren't. All the odds were against him. Please show me ur own.

Also online comments don't count for shit. I am talking about real pundits that know what fight is about.

1 Like

Re: Israel Adesanya Wins UFC Interim Middleweight title at UFC 236 by NPComplete: 2:14pm On Apr 14, 2019
Jaqenhghar:

You said the championn9s sick?

Yup.
Re: Israel Adesanya Wins UFC Interim Middleweight title at UFC 236 by NPComplete: 2:17pm On Apr 14, 2019
cooljude:

What are you saying oga! He dominated Gastelum on the ground and I can remember vividly that everyone expected Gasteleum to knock him out or out-wrestle Izzy. Israel is a great fighter with a good background from Kickboxing, boxing, K1, muay thai and his record shows how dominant he was. I am not saying he can't be beaten but anyone still calling him a hype needs to keep quiet.

Anyone expecting Gastelum to knock out Adesanya is an idiot. Adesanya came into that fight as the clear favorite to win. Everyone knows that. So where u saw ur own everyone that expected Gastelum to knock him out is what I don't know. Even the odds were very much against Gastelum.
Re: Israel Adesanya Wins UFC Interim Middleweight title at UFC 236 by fabyom: 2:17pm On Apr 14, 2019
I watched Jones and Anthony Smith fight. Smith bleeped up always looking for a way to land his left strike whereas Jones was destabilising him kicking and punching him.
Smith has just his left strike Adesanya is a younger Jones he will kick you strike you and gives you no time to take him down.
Please don't bet against this guy. He has the character of a champion.
Re: Israel Adesanya Wins UFC Interim Middleweight title at UFC 236 by Bestbeelieve: 2:29pm On Apr 14, 2019
NPComplete:

Stwepid!!! Talk is cheap!
Re: Israel Adesanya Wins UFC Interim Middleweight title at UFC 236 by NPComplete: 2:31pm On Apr 14, 2019
Bestbeelieve:

Stwepid!!! Talk is cheap!

Donkey. Give us your own analysis. Oh I forgot, ur brain can only form short incoherent sentences. Accept my sympathy. grin
Re: Israel Adesanya Wins UFC Interim Middleweight title at UFC 236 by akzjazz(m): 2:36pm On Apr 14, 2019
Ewedegubbler:
Afonja amaka
grin
Afonja, Igbo, Aboki, Fulani, Andoni, Bekwarra, Chip, Degema, Etuno, Fyer, Gavako, Higi, Ijumu, Jonjo, Kuteb, Lakka, Mbembe, Nyandang, Okpe, Potopo, Qua, Rishuwa, Segidi, Tangale, Ufia, Vommi, Wurkum, Yungur, Zabara, Zaranda amaka grin

Nigeria amaka nwanne!
Re: Israel Adesanya Wins UFC Interim Middleweight title at UFC 236 by chukxie(m): 2:40pm On Apr 14, 2019
inoki247:
is the guy representing Isreal or Nigeria

New Zealand.
Re: Israel Adesanya Wins UFC Interim Middleweight title at UFC 236 by Cybertext(m): 2:45pm On Apr 14, 2019
kayfra:
Israel Adesanya speaking Yoruba on ESPN. The source of his motivation for that brilliant round 5

Aya bi ti Ekun. The heart of a lion

grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbyayoD752k

This guy is not just a good fighter, he's humble and intelligent as well
Re: Israel Adesanya Wins UFC Interim Middleweight title at UFC 236 by Nobody: 3:22pm On Apr 14, 2019
NPComplete:

Your comment is more of hatred rather than praise.
The boy has been trying if you have watched most of his fights, he is a real entertainer.
Mind you, o laya bi Ekun, if you dare him he will tear you to pieces
Re: Israel Adesanya Wins UFC Interim Middleweight title at UFC 236 by NPComplete: 3:24pm On Apr 14, 2019
Batam:

Your comment is more of hatred rather than praise.
The boy has been trying if you have watched most of his fights, he is a real entertainer.
Mind you, o laya bi Ekun, if you dare him he will tear you to pieces

Senseless talk.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Oshoala Scores Again As Barcelona Qualify For Final Of The Catalunya Cup (video) / PSG Signs Ander Herrera On Free Transfer Until 2024 / Lets Talk About Swimming.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.