Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,924 members, 7,806,685 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:46 PM

Tips On Writing A Winning Cover Letter - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Tips On Writing A Winning Cover Letter (11694 Views)

I Need Assistance On Writing A Proposal For Masters' Thesis. / 3 Helpful Tips On How Low Income Earners Can Survive In Lagos / How To Write Cover Letter For Jobs In Nigeria 2018 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tips On Writing A Winning Cover Letter by TheCvBank: 3:46pm On Apr 16, 2019
A COVER LETTER

1.A Cover Letter is an introduction sent along with a Resume to provide additional details on your skills and experience and to show more reasons why you are the ideal candidate for the role.

2.A good cover letter should be memorable (positive) and personal (not generic). It should make the recruiter excited to open your CV.

3.Let’s start with Tips to Winning Cover Letter:

a. Do not attach your Cover Letter when sending an email.
Paste the content in the body of the email and ensure it’s addressed properly.
Only attach when expressly instructed.

b.Write a unique cover letter for every job you apply to. Every job has its unique job description and so should your cover letter.

c.Your cover letter shouldn’t be too long. When it’s too long, there is a high chance it won’t be read. I would recommend a maximum of 3 paragraphs.

d. It should show other things not in your Resume. For experienced hands, use numbers/data for achievements.
For fresh Graduates, highlight transferable skills.

e.Highlight/Talk more on the right experience or skill based on what was requested for in the job description.

f. You can use Cover Letter Templates on Google to GUIDE you but not to DICTATE for you.

g.Avoid listing traits/skills you possess, RATHER highlight few details on how you have exhibited them. E.g problem-solving skills, honesty, attention to details etc. Give examples of something that can captures the message/skill you are trying to convey.
It would help you with a format.

h. Ensure you go through it over again to avoid ‘typos’ and grammatical errors. “Grammarly” is recommended (Download and Install the app). It’s a lifesaver, trust me!.

i. Address it properly. It should be sent to the expected person receiving it or the HR Manager/Recruiter. If you don’t know who is receiving it. Address it to “The HR Manager”.

j. You should always show your value and why you’re the right fit for the role and not just only what the organization can do for you.

4.We'll move to: How to write a good cover letter:

Step 1(Address it properly):
The HR Manager,
Company Name,
Address,
State.

Step 2:
Dear Recruiter's Name(if you know)/HR Manager/Sir/Ma,

Step 3(Introduction):
Introduce yourself, how you heard about it, your skills and what drew your interest to apply for the job (why you applied).

e.g
I’m Ikem Kosiso, I would like to apply for the HR Business Partner role as advertised on LinkedIn. My interest and experience in carrying out various HR functions to support the the growth of the business has made excited to apply for this role.

Step 4(why you’re a perfect fit for the role):
Relate it to the job description and why your past experience and skills meet exactly what the company is looking for. Relate your achievements, technical capabilities are in tandem with the job description.

For step 4, You can include why you would fit into the organization showing that you have properly done your research about the company.

Step 5(Closing)
This is more like a call to attention. It’s like prompting the buyer on the next steps.

e.g:
Please find attached my Resume for your perusal. I am open to discuss more of my skills and the value I would bring to your company during an interview.

Step 6: (Sign-Off)
Use Yours Sincerely when you are addressing it to someone(when the receiver is known).

Use Yours faithfully when the receiver is unknown.

You can ALSO use:
Regards,
*your name*
(Phone Number)

Follow us to follow our updates about cv, cover letter writing and LinkedIn account setup.

Instagram: the_cvbank

Twitter: @thecvbank1

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Tips On Writing A Winning Cover Letter by IvarTheTerrible: 6:16pm On Apr 16, 2019
angry

Dear Sir,

.......... Say what's in the attached picture

Yours Sincerely,

1 Like

Re: Tips On Writing A Winning Cover Letter by Dtraitor: 6:17pm On Apr 16, 2019
nice one
Re: Tips On Writing A Winning Cover Letter by Nobody: 6:18pm On Apr 16, 2019
In this day and age una still dey use CV. Oga employer see link to my linkedim account. Am digital like that
Re: Tips On Writing A Winning Cover Letter by oluxy(m): 6:18pm On Apr 16, 2019
Ok
Re: Tips On Writing A Winning Cover Letter by Expliot: 6:18pm On Apr 16, 2019
Good one
Re: Tips On Writing A Winning Cover Letter by ibkayee(f): 6:19pm On Apr 16, 2019
The way I hate writing cover letters, especially when you have to send a different one for different roles urgh

5 Likes

Re: Tips On Writing A Winning Cover Letter by Nobody: 6:23pm On Apr 16, 2019
Cool.
Re: Tips On Writing A Winning Cover Letter by Nobody: 6:31pm On Apr 16, 2019
IvarTheTerrible:
angry

Dear Sir,

.......... Say what's in the attached picture

Yours Sincerely,

Lol @ur meme

1 Like

Re: Tips On Writing A Winning Cover Letter by Kimberlykay(f): 6:32pm On Apr 16, 2019
Nice one, I really need it
Re: Tips On Writing A Winning Cover Letter by YoungBlackRico(m): 6:33pm On Apr 16, 2019
Just what I needed.
Re: Tips On Writing A Winning Cover Letter by Celcius: 6:34pm On Apr 16, 2019
Joromi12:
In this day and age una still dey use CV. Oga employer see link to my linkedim account. Am digital like that
I am, not Am.
You still need the Grammarly App. Think about it.

7 Likes

Re: Tips On Writing A Winning Cover Letter by nonye6194: 6:46pm On Apr 16, 2019
Celcius:
I am, not Am. You still need the Grammarly App. Think about it.

lmao trailer jam grin
Re: Tips On Writing A Winning Cover Letter by pimper24: 6:51pm On Apr 16, 2019
TheCvBank:
A COVER LETTER

1.A Cover Letter is an introduction sent along with a Resume to provide additional details on your skills and experience and to show more reasons why you are the ideal candidate for the role.

2.A good cover letter should be memorable (positive) and personal (not generic). It should make the recruiter excited to open your CV.

b.Write a unique cover letter for every job you apply to. Every job has its unique job description and so should your cover letter.

c.Your cover letter shouldn’t be too long. When it’s too long, there is a high chance it won’t be read. I would recommend a maximum of 3 paragraphs.

d. It should show other things not in your Resume. For experienced hands, use numbers/data for achievements.

e.Highlight/Talk more on the right experience or skill based on what was requested for in the job description.

f. You can use Cover Letter Templates on Google to GUIDE you but not to DICTATE for you.

g.Avoid listing traits/skills you possess, RATHER highlight few details on how you have exhibited them. E.g problem-solving skills, honesty, attention to details etc. Give examples of something that can captures the message/skill you are trying to convey.

h. Ensure you go through it over again to avoid ‘typos’ and grammatical errors. “Grammarly” is recommended (Download and Install the app). It’s a lifesaver, trust me!.

i. Address it properly. It should be sent to the expected person receiving it or the HR Manager/Recruiter. If you don’t know who is receiving it. Address it to “The HR Manager”.

j. You should always show your value and why you’re the right fit for the role and not just only what the organization can do for you.

The HR Manager,
Company Name,
Address,
State.

Step 2:

Step 3(Introduction):
Introduce yourself, how you heard about it, your skills and what drew your interest to apply for the job (why you applied).

e.g
I’m Ikem Kosiso, I would like to apply for the HR Business Partner role as advertised on LinkedIn. My interest and experience in carrying out various HR functions to support the the growth of the business has made excited to apply for this role.

Relate it to the job description and why your past experience and skills meet exactly what the company is looking for. Relate your achievements, technical capabilities are in tandem with the job description.

For step 4, You can include why you would fit into the organization showing that you have properly done your research about the company.

Step 5(Closing)
This is more like a call to attention. It’s like prompting the buyer on the next steps.

e.g:
Please find attached my Resume for your perusal. I am open to discuss more of my skills and the value I would bring to your company during an interview.

Use Yours Sincerely when you are addressing it to someone(when the receiver is known).

You can ALSO use:
Regards,
*your name*
(Phone Number)

Follow us to follow our updates about cv, cover letter writing and LinkedIn account setup.

Nice one but as for pasting the cover letter on the body of the email, it's a no no. This is because, some recruiters Wang to file your cover letter with the CV and this makes it pretty hard for them. Same with sending CV and cover in pdf. Not all these should be imbibed hook line and sinker. I have done stuff I got from the Internet and if I finally show for interview, the recruiters would start waring me saying that could have deprives me of the opportunity. Just like all these motivational this and that coming from foreign authors, try to sift what you imbibe or else you will be the architect of your own failure through "too much knowledge" .

3 Likes

Re: Tips On Writing A Winning Cover Letter by ogatboy(m): 6:53pm On Apr 16, 2019
Unfortunately 98.9percent of recruiters do not look at your cover letter
Re: Tips On Writing A Winning Cover Letter by TheCvBank: 6:56pm On Apr 16, 2019
TheCvBank:
A COVER LETTER

The HR Manager,
Company Name,
Address,
State.

Step 2:

Step 3(Introduction):

e.g

Step 5(Closing)

e.g:

You can ALSO use:
Regards,
*your name*
(Phone Number)

We also write professional cv, cover letters and also setup professional LinkedIn accounts for our clients at a very affordable rate. contact us today and let's build a satisfying career with yousmiley

Re: Tips On Writing A Winning Cover Letter by Faithfulmartins(m): 7:26pm On Apr 16, 2019
Goodevening sir(s) and ma(s).
I was unable to pay my tuition fee for 200l at Kwara state COED oro, as at 2017. Failure to pay for 200 and 300L will exempt me from going to teaching practice also my sister got admission that same year, this prompt my mum to take loan of 2hundred thousand naira from LAPO microfinance bank. Though we have able to pay the sum of #120 thousand, recently life is not so easy on us which led to inability to continue payment of the loan. The bank agent have been making life a hell for us. Please I'm seeking help from any chearful giver to help us with any token. Thanks, may God replenish your pocket as you do so.
Account details:-
Acct Name: Akande Olukayode Matthew
Acct No:- 0036578509 GTB
Phone No: 09077726659
Re: Tips On Writing A Winning Cover Letter by OGHENAOGIE(m): 7:35pm On Apr 16, 2019
Faithfulmartins:
I was unable to pay my tuition fee for 200l at Kwara state COED oro, as at 2017. Failure to pay for 200 and 300L will exempt me from going to teaching practice also my sister got admission that same year, this prompt my mum to take loan of 2hundred thousand naira from LAPO microfinance bank. Though we have able to pay the sum of #120 thousand, recently life is not so easy on us which led to inability to continue payment of the loan. The bank agent have been making life a hell for us. Please I'm seeking help from any chearful giver to help us with any token. Thanks, may God replenish your pocket as you do so.
go meet ur family and friends then the church or mosques pple

2 Likes

Re: Tips On Writing A Winning Cover Letter by Faithfulmartins(m): 8:06pm On Apr 16, 2019
OGHENAOGIE:
go meet ur family and friends then the church or mosques pple
Sir, we've seek help from every one of them but it seems not forth coming, though the church has does the little help they could offer. Please sir, no amount is to little
Re: Tips On Writing A Winning Cover Letter by sod09(m): 10:51pm On Apr 16, 2019
ibkayee:
The way I hate writing cover letters, especially when you have to send a different one for different roles urgh
just edit the company name and job title cheesy wink
Re: Tips On Writing A Winning Cover Letter by Edum13656: 5:04am On Apr 17, 2019
you want to write CV and cover letter for applicants and you are using *I'm instead of *I am in an official letter. pls don't coman complicate applicants' issues.
Re: Tips On Writing A Winning Cover Letter by Edum13656: 5:05am On Apr 17, 2019
ibkayee:
you r not alone.

1 Like

Re: Tips On Writing A Winning Cover Letter by Nobody: 6:33am On Apr 17, 2019
Edum13656:
you r not alone.
same here
Re: Tips On Writing A Winning Cover Letter by Topshow4real: 6:35am On Apr 17, 2019
Faithfulmartins:

How can we be sure this is not another format from a yahoo boy
Re: Tips On Writing A Winning Cover Letter by DIG1: 9:13am On Apr 17, 2019
Cover letter
Re: Tips On Writing A Winning Cover Letter by Faithfulmartins(m): 10:23am On Apr 17, 2019
Topshow4real:

How can we be sure this is not another format from a yahoo boy
I can even give you my contact address and fb acct to verify. We're really in need no amount is too small. I swear with almighty God I'm not a yahoo boy and I've never do so in my entire life, just help us, the bank agents have making life a hell for us with embarassment and harassment
Re: Tips On Writing A Winning Cover Letter by Toseenlove: 1:34pm On Apr 17, 2019
Celcius:

I am, not Am.
You still need the Grammarly App. Think about it.

Don't be surprised..... 80% of Nigeria Literates make this stupid mistake all the time spiits. It disgust me a lot!!!

Re: Tips On Writing A Winning Cover Letter by ibkayee(f): 6:19pm On Apr 17, 2019
sod09:
just edit the company name and job title cheesy wink
But the paragraphs are sometimes targeted at specific roles so I’ll still need to tweak it, I’m just lazy tbh tongue

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pains Of A 'first Class' Graduate In Nigeria :'( / 5 Career Advice You Should Absolutely Ignore / Have You Hawked Before?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.