Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,900 members, 7,802,915 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:11 AM

Usman Yinka Salihu: Most Talented Footballers In Nigeria Are In The North - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Usman Yinka Salihu: Most Talented Footballers In Nigeria Are In The North (23089 Views)

Super Eagles Most Talented Team I’ve Ever Coached – Peseiro / Top 10 Most Decorated Footballers In The World / 10 Footballers Whose Greed And Lifestyle Ruined Their Career (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Usman Yinka Salihu: Most Talented Footballers In Nigeria Are In The North by Nobody: 4:27pm On Apr 18, 2019
Kanu played in the east and Lagos before going to Europe and he's still the most decorated Nigerian striker.
Re: Usman Yinka Salihu: Most Talented Footballers In Nigeria Are In The North by Ayhomes(m): 4:34pm On Apr 18, 2019
itsIYKE:
Odiegwu,....Generation after generation after generation,..The east has always been the pillar of Nigerian football
oga that is fat lie sir, you guys will just jump to conclusions without thinking....Rasheed Yekini remain the best super eagle striker till date, mushir lawal, segun odegbami, mutiu adepoju, peter rufai, and others from diff part of Nig are from the East as well dont worry continue
Re: Usman Yinka Salihu: Most Talented Footballers In Nigeria Are In The North by aribisala0(m): 4:36pm On Apr 18, 2019
renewa29:

If you could comprehend what I wrote you would realize also that anywhere in Nigeria talent exists, but the problem is the lack of organization.

Referring to the north is silly because Rangers, Bendel United and clubs that reigned in the 70's and 80's, were they in the north?
You are changing the subject.That is another issue.

The issue here is not the origins of players and that s why I quoted you.....

Pretty much everyone on this thread including you is on about where players ARE FROM. That was not what he was talking about

There was no club like "Bendel United" in the 70s and 80s.

Many of the dominant clubs did so with players that were not necessarily local e.g Keshi played for NNB but he was a "Lagos boy" like Oliseh . Taribo West and many others were known for Julius Berger but came from elsewhere. Finidi played for Calabar Rovers but was from "Port Harcourt" in terms of football he also happens to be from there ethnically

Peter Rufai Played for Stationery stores but was a "Port Harcourt" lad though of mixed origin.

The point is the speaker was not talking about ethnic origin and you have contributed in reducing it to that.
Re: Usman Yinka Salihu: Most Talented Footballers In Nigeria Are In The North by Nobody: 5:05pm On Apr 18, 2019
aribisala0:
You are changing the subject.That is another issue.

The issue here is not the origins of players and that s why I quoted you.....

Pretty much everyone on this thread including you is on about where players ARE FROM. That was not what he was talking about

There was no club like "Bendel United" in the 70s and 80s.

Many of the dominant clubs did so with players that were not necessarily local e.g Keshi played for NNB but he was a "Lagos boy" like Oliseh . Taribo West and many others were known for Julius Berger but came from elsewhere. Finidi played for Calabar Rovers but was from "Port Harcourt" in terms of football he also happens to be from there ethnically

Peter Rufai Played for Stationery stores but was a "Port Harcourt" lad though of mixed origin.

The point is the speaker was not talking about ethnic origin and you have contributed in reducing it to that.

"In my opinion the main problem with northern players is their attitude. It is a fact that no matter the ability you have, without the right attitude that ability will amount to nothing. They like to play without restrictions."

Quote taken from the last paragraph, I have lived in the north so I should know and understand this better. Northern players sounds like people from the north. If you read further he speaks about players living in the north, so there is a distinction.

Mikel grew up in Jos, but he is an international player today living in China. Ahmed Musa also grew in the north, but today he is in the middle east. So you cannot discount cultural influences and idiosyncrasies from impacting how a person's life will progress.

Check the migration patterns out of Nigeria, who fills the embassies the most? isn't it southerners?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Usman Yinka Salihu: Most Talented Footballers In Nigeria Are In The North by aribisala0(m): 5:13pm On Apr 18, 2019
renewa29:

"In my opinion the main problem with northern players is their attitude. It is a fact that no matter the ability you have, without the right attitude that ability will amount to nothing. They like to play without restrictions."

Quote taken from the last paragraph, I have lived in the north so I should know and understand this better. Northern players sounds like people from the north. If you read further he speaks about players living in the north, so there is a distinction.
You are projecting your interpretation on to his words.

That you have lived in the north is just a fallacious dimension to your argument. Totally irrelevant unless we can conclude that everyone who lives in the north has the same opinions. It is no different from saying I have lived in Nigeria or in Africa. Millions of others who have lived in the North would have a different perspective.

Many would argue that Igbos or those of Igbo origin are a very large proportion of so callled "northern talent" there is nothing to suggest he was making a distinction between "northern" kids of southern origin or those of northern origin. As long as they are kids developing in football IN THE NORTH theyy are the same.

IN LAGOS thousands of non-Yoruba have developed e.g Osimhen so let us not ethnicize every thing. Or at least if you must then take credit for doing so and don't credit another person grin
Re: Usman Yinka Salihu: Most Talented Footballers In Nigeria Are In The North by Nobody: 5:15pm On Apr 18, 2019
aribisala0:

You are projecting your interpretation on to his words.

That you have lived in the north is just a fallacious dimension to your argument. Totally irrelevant unless we can conclude that everyone who lives in the north has the same opinions. It is no different from saying I have lived in Nigeria or in Africa. Millions of others who have lived in the North would have a different perspective.

Many would argue that Igbos or those of Igbo origin are a very large proportion of so callled "northern talent" there is nothing to suggest he was making a distinction between "northern" kids of southern origin or those of northern origin. As long as they are kids developing in football IN THE NORTH theyy are the same.

IN LAGOS thousands of non-Yoruba have developed e.g Osimhen so let us not ethnicize every thing. Or at least if you must take credit for doing so and don't credit another person grin

You don't seem to understand that he is speaking of a cultural malaise. The tendency to take life easy and slowly is a northern trait. You can only discover the nature of a person by interaction, hence my statement, that I have lived in the north.
Re: Usman Yinka Salihu: Most Talented Footballers In Nigeria Are In The North by Afonja007: 5:16pm On Apr 18, 2019
PrecisionFx:

Afonja whqtbus ur problem? Daniel Amokachi and many other IGBOS exist in Kogi n Benue state.
i am igbo person from nnobi ,biko nwannem ina emechu ndi iru,amokachi is not an igbo person biko ejim chukwu bi na elu ario gi

1 Like

Re: Usman Yinka Salihu: Most Talented Footballers In Nigeria Are In The North by Nobody: 5:18pm On Apr 18, 2019
I have experienced the difference in cultures, so I can interpret with certainty. Check the migration patterns out of Nigeria, who fills the embassies the most? isn't it southerners?
Re: Usman Yinka Salihu: Most Talented Footballers In Nigeria Are In The North by makavelli80(m): 5:18pm On Apr 18, 2019
SOUTH SOUTH IS BLESSED WITH LEADERS (CAPTAINS) OF THE NATIONAL TEAM
Re: Usman Yinka Salihu: Most Talented Footballers In Nigeria Are In The North by aribisala0(m): 5:21pm On Apr 18, 2019
renewa29:

You don't seem to understand that he is speaking of a cultural malaise. The tendency to take life easy and slowly is a northern trait. You can only discover the nature of a person by interaction, hence my statement, that I have lived in the north.
No I do not seem to understand..............
What exactly is "Northern" >

people come online to propound and pontificate all kinds of Bizarre theories.
So there is now such a thing as Northern Trait? found in Kwara State and Borno but not in Oyo? Found in Benue and Borno but not Ebonyi?

Somehow this trait manages to escape third generation Igbos in Kaduna and Yorubas from Oyo born in Kaduna but Yorubas from Kogi and Kwara born in Kaduna retain the trait?
Re: Usman Yinka Salihu: Most Talented Footballers In Nigeria Are In The North by Nobody: 5:31pm On Apr 18, 2019
aribisala0:
No I do not seem to understand..............
What exactly is "Northern" >

people come online to propound and pontificate all kinds of Bizarre theories.
So there is now such a thing as Northern Trait? found in Kwara State and Borno but not in Oyo? Found in Benue and Borno but not Ebonyi?

Somehow this trait manages to escape third generation Igbos in Kaduna and Yorubas from Oyo born in Kaduna but Yorubas from Kogi and Kwara born in Kaduna retain the trait?

In the first place, learn that Kwara and Kogi are not in the north by geographical definition. If they are called north central, that is a misnomer owing to the unfortunate political situation in Nigeria.

Looking at a Nigerian map, only a fool will call Kogi north. Except if the definition of north by Nigeria standards is anything that crosses river Niger to the north.

But if you think all your turenci is porsche, why then do we have ethnic differences, prejudice and rivalries in Nigeria? I will respectfully listen to you.....
Re: Usman Yinka Salihu: Most Talented Footballers In Nigeria Are In The North by Nobody: 5:31pm On Apr 18, 2019
olaolaking:
Igos like amokachi abi? because igbos had been claiming all the south south even north central in the super eagle team

IGBO land does not start in the SE n end in the SE.
Re: Usman Yinka Salihu: Most Talented Footballers In Nigeria Are In The North by nomoreface: 5:34pm On Apr 18, 2019
IBB was our Best footballer ever! And he is a northerner

1 Like

Re: Usman Yinka Salihu: Most Talented Footballers In Nigeria Are In The North by aribisala0(m): 5:39pm On Apr 18, 2019
renewa29:

In the first place, learn that Kwara and Kogi are not in the north by geographical definition. If they are called north central, that is a misnomer owing to the unfortunate political situation in Nigeria.

Looking at a Nigerian map, only a fool will call Kogi north. Except if the definition of north by Nigeria standards is anything that crosses river Niger to the north.

But if you think all your turenci is porsche, why then do we have ethnic differences, prejudice and rivalries in Nigeria? I will respectfully listen to you.....

Lol!!

I have said all I need to say grin
Re: Usman Yinka Salihu: Most Talented Footballers In Nigeria Are In The North by Nobody: 5:46pm On Apr 18, 2019
aribisala0:

Lol!!

I have said all I need to say grin

Good, because the answer lies in the reasons the British thought it best to establish different forms of governance in the regions which make up Nigeria during the colonial era.
Re: Usman Yinka Salihu: Most Talented Footballers In Nigeria Are In The North by gentlezypher: 6:06pm On Apr 18, 2019
BrutusOj:
He made some good points sha. If you visit Jos, Kaduna, Nasarawa and Abuja u will understand.
who be this one, how many recognised academies are in Jos? Go to umuahia alone,and see the number there,
Re: Usman Yinka Salihu: Most Talented Footballers In Nigeria Are In The North by gladisa7: 6:06pm On Apr 18, 2019
maybe this one dey sniff soakaway!!
Re: Usman Yinka Salihu: Most Talented Footballers In Nigeria Are In The North by RTSC: 6:10pm On Apr 18, 2019
olaolaking:
Yes I know. Okocha and co are igbos. Weldone
No they are itshekiri from delta state.
Re: Usman Yinka Salihu: Most Talented Footballers In Nigeria Are In The North by BrutusOj(m): 6:13pm On Apr 18, 2019
gentlezypher:
who be this one, how many recognised academies are in Jos? Go to umuahia alone,and see the number there,
keep quiet, do you know how many stars that have been produced from jos? It must not be academics, go the streets of jos and see stars wasting there.
Re: Usman Yinka Salihu: Most Talented Footballers In Nigeria Are In The North by gentlezypher: 6:28pm On Apr 18, 2019
BrutusOj:
keep quiet, do you know how many stars that have been produced from jos? It must not be academics, go the streets of jos and see stars wasting there.
oga which wasting? How many eastern states have you been? For your info,i stay in Jos, and nothing dy happen here jari,compared to where i stayed before coming here,
Re: Usman Yinka Salihu: Most Talented Footballers In Nigeria Are In The North by donbenie(m): 6:39pm On Apr 18, 2019
IamPatriotic:
Somehow, he may be correct considering the exploit of Daniel Amokachi, Tijani Babangida and Garba Lawal.....even Ahmed Musa
For every one of these,there are countless Okocha,Kanu,Okechukwu,Mikel, Amunike, Onyekuru, Kalu, Emenike, Babayaro,Iwobi, Okafor,Nwanu,Iroha.. shocked
Re: Usman Yinka Salihu: Most Talented Footballers In Nigeria Are In The North by donbenie(m): 6:42pm On Apr 18, 2019
Earthquake3:

Daniel Amokachi is a northerner?

Illiterate
Amokachi is from Benue..
Re: Usman Yinka Salihu: Most Talented Footballers In Nigeria Are In The North by donbenie(m): 6:43pm On Apr 18, 2019
IamPatriotic:

You're a bastard! your father is the illiterate, omoale jatijati....perhaps, Kaduna State is in your region in the South East....Idiot!
Amokachi is NOT from Kaduna rather Benue..
Still a Northerner though..
Re: Usman Yinka Salihu: Most Talented Footballers In Nigeria Are In The North by donbenie(m): 6:44pm On Apr 18, 2019
BabaO2:

Because they shout and exert too much pressures and tenaciously persuade whoever is the handler to be chosen at all cost.
In other words,they possess the right attitude which according to this Coach the Northern players lack..
Being skillful without the spirit to excel takes you nowhere..
Re: Usman Yinka Salihu: Most Talented Footballers In Nigeria Are In The North by donbenie(m): 6:47pm On Apr 18, 2019
PrecisionFx:

Daniel Amokachi is an Igbo man, forget where he was born or raised.
No he is not,Idoma bears similar names to Igbos..
Re: Usman Yinka Salihu: Most Talented Footballers In Nigeria Are In The North by donbenie(m): 6:54pm On Apr 18, 2019
Elemosho478:

even with few Yoruba in the national team we still manage to dominate, and a Yoruba is the all time Highest goal scorer for the National Team now imagine if more Yoruba are able to get in, the only reason there are few Yoruba in the national team is because we really don't put much envisage on Football but Education, most of our parents won't even support it but despite the fact Yoruba still manage to be formidable in the game.

Do you know that 2 Yoruba Players are the highest goal Scorers for the National Team?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_leading_goalscorers_for_the_Nigeria_national_football_team

Asisat Oshoala is also making wave for the Female team

David Alaba of Bayern Munich is of Yoruba descent

Dele Alli of Tottenham is also of Yoruba descent

Despite the fact that the national team is full of Igbo players will still manage to stay on top

You really want to go into Yoruba vs Igbos who have done better for the National Teams.. shocked

How exactly did you manage to dominate?

And by the way,Alaba plays for AUSTRỊA and Ali plays for ENGLAND..

1 Like

Re: Usman Yinka Salihu: Most Talented Footballers In Nigeria Are In The North by COOL10(m): 7:00pm On Apr 18, 2019
Oddsman:
Ahmed Musa is presently the best footballer in Nigeria. The rest dey play for their account balances.

Best footballer wey dey play for Saudi Arabia league undecided
Re: Usman Yinka Salihu: Most Talented Footballers In Nigeria Are In The North by umarshehu58(m): 7:02pm On Apr 18, 2019
itsIYKE:
i shouldn't share a country with uncircumcised subhumans like u

Fool. Maybe I am even living a better life than you. Ipig zombie

Go lick Nnamdi Ass
Re: Usman Yinka Salihu: Most Talented Footballers In Nigeria Are In The North by dyangprof(m): 7:03pm On Apr 18, 2019
itsIYKE:
Odiegwu,....Generation after generation after generation,..The east has always been the pillar of Nigerian football

And perhaps for real; Northerners are very talented and very good in football than other regions

Any one who has been to the north will understand that they admire and take football very serious while training or playing competitions football

Yeah, very very very true
Re: Usman Yinka Salihu: Most Talented Footballers In Nigeria Are In The North by Oddsman(m): 7:03pm On Apr 18, 2019
COOL10:

Best footballer wey dey play for Saudi Arabia league undecided

Who better pass am. If you call anybody else than Ndidi ehn
Re: Usman Yinka Salihu: Most Talented Footballers In Nigeria Are In The North by umarshehu58(m): 7:04pm On Apr 18, 2019
RTSC:

Call any coach in the world to come and scout the north as a whole and scout imo state alone and create a first 11.

It would take a miracle for imo not to have at least 7 players in the first 11.

Bros you only know of Imo. Come to the North, the only sport they play mostly is football.

Or are you telling all the northern states have no talented football players?

Abeg go siddon 4 corner.
Re: Usman Yinka Salihu: Most Talented Footballers In Nigeria Are In The North by luluman: 7:05pm On Apr 18, 2019
Rowlandjude:
True talk, Fulani herdsmen are good mildfilders. Idiot
Yeebos have come.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

AFCON: Nigeria's Victory Over Egypt Break The Pharaoh's 16-Game Unbeaten Record / Real Madrid Named Most Valuable Brand In World Football [Top 10] / Mikel Obi Deletes Twitter Account After Racial Abuse

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.