Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,951 members, 7,806,753 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:38 PM

Private School Versus Public School Debate And The Nigerian Nation - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Private School Versus Public School Debate And The Nigerian Nation (1887 Views)

Pastor Ibiyeomie Donates A Public School In Rivers (Pictures) / Oriwu Model College Ikorodu Emerges Best Public School In Nigeria / Public School In Anambra Using Ankara Material For School Uniform (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Private School Versus Public School Debate And The Nigerian Nation by Akposb(m): 9:28pm On Apr 18, 2019
Before any deliberation which will likely take some amount of your time, this article is inspired by the lamentation of that Atlantic Hall alumni story. In case you missed it, here is the link: https://www.nairaland.com/5137894/3.5m-per-term-secondary-school

It is quite sad that we are caught up in this state and obviously, it seems it is getting worse but we all know that things happen in cycles and Nigeria will still remain regardless. Nigerians may be abandoning the nation but we all know that a majority will remain coupled with foreigners who flock the nation every day for their own pay day.

Just close to where I stay is the American International School and they are building staff quarters. That is a long term vision even when it seemed like Nigeria will close shop soon. My major point of contention is the issue of high school fees that are mainly associated with private schools.

I will dwell on two things from the alumnae’s litany of complaints. Children selling their parents property is nothing new as it either points to their inability to manage it or they do not feel like managing it any more. Also, the issue of their running away from Nigeria because of the hard conditions. Obviously, Nigeria has never been easy but we all know despite the hard conditions some are breaking free from lack and want. We can do better I know but it come with some necessary sacrifices.

Every country has its elite and one mark of Nigeria’s elite is their penchant for foreign goods which is almost the case for every Nigerian. The question is who is in the best place to alleviate the burden of the citizens if not the elite.

The issue of school fees is often a bone of contention here in this forum and it is quite instructive that those who have attended public and private schools are at logger-heads. I have attended both and I can say that schools mainly charge huge school fees because of the high cost of infrastructure and other necessities and also to get profit.

The question that I really want us to ponder on is how much is too much to be spent on education? This assertion is borne out of a concern and it is all over the world; private schools are mainly a gathering of the rich and it is often a way to get ahead and maintain their status.

The other question is, Education or money, which is more important? Both are equally important but there must be a balance. I remember a statement I saw on facebook where the writer wrote, parents should set aside some investment funds rather than pay too higher fees for the education of their wards. Personally, why I encourage parents to pay much for their children’s education, money will always be needed hence a little should be set aside.

Finally, the fact that these educated children of the elite are abandoning the nation is as much a reflection of the fact that they just might have been educated not to function effectively in the Nigerian context. We have seen students who have developed several initiatives to solve societal problems. It is really an indictment that they who have been exposed to ‘world-class’ education have not been able to function in an economy where those who are ‘fairly’ educated are making breakthrough in information technology, music, arts and other sectors of the economy.

There is obviously no soft landing in Nigeria and in nations where they have a good environment, they are fighting hard every day to ensure that some foreigners do not come to overwhelm the system. Nigeria will not grow unless we really confront the vast inequality that is gradually turning most citizens to money hustlers and grabbers.

(1) (Reply)

Free Neco Tokens!! Get Yours Now / Things You Don't Know Their Names / Yahoo Boy Caught On Camera Performing Rituals In Port Harcourt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.