Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,151 members, 7,807,501 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:19 PM

Good Friday; The Commemoration Of The Death Of Our Lord Jesus Christ - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Good Friday; The Commemoration Of The Death Of Our Lord Jesus Christ (6782 Views)

Timothy Ofoegbu: Why Catholics Don't Eat Meat On Good Friday (Video) / Sex On Good Friday / Good Friday: 7 Catholic Devotees Nailed To Cross In Philippines (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Good Friday; The Commemoration Of The Death Of Our Lord Jesus Christ by Nobody: 8:04am On Apr 19, 2019
By His death and resurrection, He renders useless, the power of death and he gave us eternal life. Thank God for the privilege of serving a living God

1 Like

Re: Good Friday; The Commemoration Of The Death Of Our Lord Jesus Christ by Nobody: 8:06am On Apr 19, 2019
ajaolu:
The Friday is indeed good as today is my birthday. Please could I get overwhelming likes?
Happy birthday

1 Like

Re: Good Friday; The Commemoration Of The Death Of Our Lord Jesus Christ by Amanew(m): 8:14am On Apr 19, 2019
Judybash93:

You can't be serious shocked
lky u!
Re: Good Friday; The Commemoration Of The Death Of Our Lord Jesus Christ by ruffDiamond: 8:14am On Apr 19, 2019
I'm sorry to say this pls but relin is a scam! Africa should do away with it if we are to really develope. I mean if we are truly seriously serious about growth if care is not taken Nigeria will remain like this for the next 100 years and become a proper jungle fit only for pure wild animals in human form religion is a curse
salvation is pure lie!and there is no heaven or hell anywhere except the man-made here on earth,bible and quoran is handwork of man simple be wise
Re: Good Friday; The Commemoration Of The Death Of Our Lord Jesus Christ by Jones4190(m): 8:15am On Apr 19, 2019
THE (SCIENTIFIC) DEATH OF JESUS
At the age of 33, Jesus was condemned to the death penalty.
At the time crucifixion was the "worst" death. Only the worst criminals were condemned to be crucified. Jesus was to be nailed to the cross by His hands and feet.
Each nail was 6 to 8 inches long. The nails were driven into His wrist. Not into His palms as is commonly portrayed.
There's a tendon in the wrist that extends to the shoulder. The Roman guards knew that when the nails were being hammered into the wrist,that tendon would tear and break, forcing Jesus to use His back muscles to support himself so that He could breathe.
Both of His feet were nailed together. Thus He was forced to support Himself on the single nail that impaled His feet to the cross.
Jesus could not support himself with His legs because of the pain, so He was forced to alternate between arching His back then using his legs just to continue to breathe.
Imagine the struggle, the pain, the suffering, the courage.
Jesus endured this reality for over 3 hours.
Yes, over 3 hours!
Can you imagine this kind of suffering?
A few minutes before He died, Jesus stopped bleeding. He was simply pouring water from his wounds.
From common images, we see wounds to His hands and feet and even the spear wound to His side...
But do we realize His wounds were actually made in his body. A hammer driving large nails through the wrist, the feet overlapped and an even large nail hammered through the arches,then a Roman guard piercing His side with a spear. But before the nails and the spear,
Jesus was whipped and beaten. The whipping was so severe that it tore the flesh from His body.The beating so horrific that His face was torn and his beard ripped from His face.
The crown of thorns cut deeply into His scalp.
Most men would not have survived this torture.
He had no more blood to bleed out,only water poured from His wounds.
The human adult body contains about 3.5 liters (just less than a gallon) of blood.
Jesus poured all 3.5 liters of his blood; He had three nails hammered into His members;a crown of thorns on His head and, beyond that,a Roman soldier who stabbed a spear into His chest.
All these without mentioning the humiliation He passed after carrying His own cross for almost 2 kilometers,while the crowd spat in his face and threw stones (the cross was almost 30 kg of weight, only for its higher part, where His hands were nailed).
Jesus had to endure this experience, so that we can have free access to God.
So that our sins could be "washed" away. All of them, with no exception!
JESUS CHRIST DIED FOR US!
He died for us!
Re: Good Friday; The Commemoration Of The Death Of Our Lord Jesus Christ by opparadise: 8:15am On Apr 19, 2019
jmoore:

The question should be 'are they celebrating Christ when they celebrate easter'?

I did not see anyone condemning mother's day. But when Christmas, easter arrrives, they suddenly become 'bible experts'
Sorry to disappoint you, I am against any holiday that isn't biblical, including Mother's Day.
Re: Good Friday; The Commemoration Of The Death Of Our Lord Jesus Christ by ikorodureporta: 8:17am On Apr 19, 2019
ollah1:
How can the people who told you not to worship ogun, Sango, Yemoja, amadioha and other deities have all these scary idols as a decoration for their Cathedral?

It was important to them that they raised millions of Euros in 2days to rebuild it.
Yet you are called Pagans and idol worshippers for consulting.

Ifa oracle, edifying your own African God images.

Anyways, these images give them electriciw so I can understand cheesy

Picture Credit: NOTRE DAME CATHEDRAL-PARIS

Is dat not Satan??
Re: Good Friday; The Commemoration Of The Death Of Our Lord Jesus Christ by jmoore(m): 8:25am On Apr 19, 2019
opparadise:

Sorry to disappoint you, I am against any holiday that isn't biblical, including Mother's Day.
And you are making use of internet which is not biblical. The trousers you are wearing are not biblical even as a man, trousers never existed back then. You are disappointing yourself, not me.
Re: Good Friday; The Commemoration Of The Death Of Our Lord Jesus Christ by cyrilamx(m): 8:27am On Apr 19, 2019
ollah1:
How can the people who told you not to worship ogun, Sango, Yemoja, amadioha and other deities have all these scary idols as a decoration for their Cathedral?

It was important to them that they raised millions of Euros in 2days to rebuild it.
Yet you are called Pagans and idol worshippers for consulting.

Ifa oracle, edifying your own African God images.

Anyways, these images give them electriciw so I can understand cheesy

Picture Credit: NOTRE DAME CATHEDRAL-PARIS
When you dont understand the significance of something plz ask questions and dont let your anti-catholic bias influence your write up. This was a church built around 12-13th century. In an era where majority of populace were not only poor to afford few hand copied bibles available but also unlettered. Hence the importance of visual and representative Arts to help teach the people the faith. Stop using your 21st century ideas to judge 800 years knowledge.

Now take your time and read the below article about Notre Dame de Paris' Images...

Demonic gargoyles on Catholic Churches..... (these photos are from Notre-Dame de Paris).

Some extremist Pentecostal websites said: “Catholics are to blame for the flames at Notre-Dame. The building has a lot of demons on it. Catholics invited this upon themselves. “��‍♂️��‍♂️��‍♂️

In the past, when I was much more reactionary, I might have misinterpreted the intentions of those who have criticized the presence of gargoyles (demonic sculptures) in Catholic Church building. But on a 2nd thought I think the sentiments of those who are uncomfortable with those structures are LEGITIMATE this.one.time. I don’t think they stem from anti-catholic prejudice that is prevalent in Protestant circles..... unfortunately.

So perhaps, I should say a thing or two about them. I’ve outlined four points.... strangely the last two are the most important. That has always been my style. I save the best for the last. The first two explains why Catholics allow paintings, images and sculptures in the first place.

BEFORE THAT, A PREFACE:
In my logic and philosophy class, back in undergrad.... I picked up something from my lecturer that changed my life FOREVER. He said: “when you want to criticize a people. Study them with a clean slate. Place yourself in their shoes. You don’t necessarily need to agree with them on the long run, but you’d see things in their perspective. In a way, this even helps you in countering their arguments at the very root.”

With this in mind, I plead that those of you whose anti-Catholicism erupts like a volcano, at the mere mention of the word: CATHOLIC, should keep calm and hear me out. You don’t necessarily need to agree with me, but at least you’d understand the reason why demonic sculptures are on some ancient Catholic Churches.

THE REASON FOR DEMONIC SCULPTURES ON SOME CATHOLIC CHURCHES.

1. First and foremost, the Roman Catholic, orthodox, traditional-Lutheran and traditional-Anglican understanding of “images, sculptures and paintings” is very different from those of most Protestants.

For Catholics, when God forbade the making of images, he wasn’t saying you can’t have images. He was saying you can’t deify (godize) images or worship them. A few chapters after God forbade the making of images, he instructed the Israelites on the specifications of how the temple of Jerusalem should be built. What do we find there: images, sculptures and unknown creatures. The most significant is the sculpture of the two cherubims above the Ark of the covenant on either side.

GOD CANNOT CONTRADICT HIMSELF.

If he forbad images, in their totality, why would he instruct that above the ‘holy of Holies’ (as the ark is called), should be the sculpture of two Cherubims. And remember, it was typical for the Priests to lay flat before it. In fact, non, but the tribe of Levi could even touch it. On one occasion, during the transportation of the ark, it almost fell from the hands of the Priests. Two lay men decided to save the ark from falling and the Bible records that the lord struck them dead, IMMEDIATELY.

This shows that the ark with the cherubims was very important, I could even say ‘sacred.’

Was it not the same God that instructed Moses to mould the snake and place it on a standard? And through it, transmitted his healing power on the Jews in the wilderness that looked onto it.

We can immediately see, that the biblical prohibition on statues are not absolute. What the Bible forbids is that “you shall not have any other god besides me.” Don’t deify images, sculptures and statues. Technically, if we are to apply the obscure logic used against Catholics, then the Bible might also forbid us having regular family pictures in our homes; It will be a sin for a grieving mother to kiss the picture of her deceased son; Rochas Okorocha might be on a first class flight to hell for his multiple sculptures in Owerri. (Don’t tell him I wrote this � ).

I know to Protestant sensibilities, the idea of Catholics bowing to images of saints, is a form of worship. But that’s not really true. I know we have some Catholics who are excessive about the outward practice of their faith, but we must look at official church documents and teachings. The Catholic is not like some churches, where you do what you like. The Catholic Church has canons, ecumenical councils, synods and official papal documents. If you do as you please, well you’re living contrary to the catholic faith. FULL STOP!

Anglicanism itself allows that joke. It calls it “comprehensiveness and diversity.” (This wasn’t intended to be a critique of Anglicans. I am only quoting the official church documents on diversity of theological expression as composed by Anglicans themselves in the Lambert Conference). CATHOLICISM calls that heresy.

More-also, If bowing to anyone but God is an act of worship, then we are in for a serious problem. Yoruba people will be going to hell for prostrating before their elders; the English and royalists around the world will also go to hell for ‘curtsying’ to royals. Lawyers also bow to judges. The lists go on. So we should be careful what we wish for.

So images are not forbidden by God but worshipping them is. Bowing to anything or anyone but God does not necessarily mean it constitutes an act of worship.

2. Secondly, it’s painful when modern lawyers are ignorant of history and the evolution of civil law.

Most of us don’t know that civil law in anglophone and francophone jurisdictions- in the past- were influenced by Roman law. It explains why ‘Latin’ was the official language of the educated in ancient Europe.

Law as obtained in common law jurisdictions (England, Nigeria, Scotland, some parts of Canada, Australia, Ghana, America etc), have their roots in ancient religions, particularly of Ancient Rome.

It is a principle of Roman law that ‘an act’ (actus reus) is not sufficient to establish guilt. The ‘mental element’ (mens rea) is important for someone to be guilty.

The same is obtainable in moral questions. So the fact that a catholic stands before a statue may constitute the ‘act’, we must consider the ‘mental’ element. Is that person intending to worship that statue as a god?

If you want my sincere opinion, NO CATHOLIC INTENDS TO DEIFY STATUES. I know some have extreme ways of expressing their catholic faith, but I have been a catholic all my life and trust me when I say: I HAVE NEVER EVER CONSIDERED A STATUE OR MARY AS MY gOD. I BELIEVE IN THE TRUDINE GOD like most Christians and nothing more.

In fact, two years into his pontificate, Pope Benedict XVIII excommunicated a group of nuns in Latin America. They claimed Mary was equal to the father, the son and the Holy Spirit. After asking them to recant their heretical position, they refused. THE POPE EXCOMMUNICATED THEM. And to date, they’ve not been accepted back to the Catholic Church. But anti-catholic Protestant theologians will never ever report this sort of news, because it doesn’t fuel/feed their anti-Catholicism.

3. The cathedral of Notre Dame de Paris was built in the 12-13th century.

In those centuries and the centuries preceding them, most of Europe’s population was illiterate. So the church devised a means of teaching the illiterate population: it used pictures and sculptures. ART SPEAKS TO EVERYONE, even to illiterates.

So it became very usual for ancient Catholic Churches to be filled with paintings, images and sculptures. The church uses them for teaching, expression of theological questions. Modern Protestants do the same. They act movies and cartoons of Jesus. Those are also images. Let’s not forget.

It is an extreme reading of the prohibition of images, sculptures and statues that has led Muslims to attack anyone who attempts to represent Allah or Mohammed in movies and cartoons. Christian biblical fundamentalists want to take us down the same cursed path.

4. About the presence gargoyles on church buildings ....... they are used as a depiction of the ugliness of sin, evil and Satan.

Strictly speaking, gargoyles weren’t even intended to depict demons. They were intended to depict how sin disfigures God’s creation.

The idea that they are demonic figures are funny. Non of us have seen demons, so where did we get the idea that gargoyles look like demos when non of us knows what a demon looks like

(All through this post I purposely referred to them as ‘demons’ because that is the popular opinion held......... I decided to flow with the ignorant.).

The ancients used it to show what evil does to the soul. That is why they are so ugly. To make that point they place the sculptures of gulgogs in obscure and disadvantaged positions, when compared to the apostles and the saints.

Notre Dame cathedral had the statues of the apostles elevated above the entire church on the spire. But the gargoyles beneath them. A copper rooster � is also placed atop the spire. In catholic iconography roosters � represent “announcing the gospel,” just as roosters do in real life every morning-announcing a new day.

That was a way of teaching the population that a life in Christ is an elevated way of living, while a life in the devil makes the soul ugly and unpresentable and is beneath those of the children of God.

Most importantly, they are placed outside the church. That was made intentionally. It was a way the artisans thought people that ‘outside the church/fold of Christ, all you have is darkness and Satan.

I am going through the pain of writing this long post so that Catholics can be understood from where we stand. We are not stupid to put images of Satan on our buildings without a reason. We hate him just as much as you do..... CUT US SOME SLACK.

We have reasons. They may not satisfy you but they satisfy us. And it is offensive to think that my faith must make sense to you. No! I am under no obligation to see things the way you do.

Protestants must stop this sheer nonsense of ‘arrogance of knowledge.” A subtle claim of possessing an accuracy of answers to all christological and Christian doctrinal Questions.

Keep your anti-catholic rhetoric to yourself.

3 Likes

Re: Good Friday; The Commemoration Of The Death Of Our Lord Jesus Christ by opparadise: 8:33am On Apr 19, 2019
Re: Good Friday; The Commemoration Of The Death Of Our Lord Jesus Christ by jmoore(m): 8:44am On Apr 19, 2019
opparadise:

You reason as though you bought your brains from one remote village of China. The bible clearly stated and reprimanded its members to desist from pagan holidays. When was the last time in your life you looked up the history of sth for the first time?
Adam and Eve wore leaves, then cotton and fabric as wears to cover their unclothedness. Its origin to cover unclothedness wasn't biblical too, right?
Your own brain is the one that needs upgrade. Is Jesus a pagan? Easter is all about death and resurrection of Christ.
Re: Good Friday; The Commemoration Of The Death Of Our Lord Jesus Christ by opparadise: 9:00am On Apr 19, 2019
jmoore:

Your own brain is the one that needs upgrade. Is Jesus a pagan? Easter is all about death and resurrection of Christ.
Easter didn't begin from Jesus. What part of the sentence 'looking up the origin of events' don't you understand.
Are you allergic to having sense even with your food-flask head?
Re: Good Friday; The Commemoration Of The Death Of Our Lord Jesus Christ by Kaycee9242(m): 9:03am On Apr 19, 2019
wow! wow!! wow!!! so Catholic av ppl like u bros, I read ur post from beginning to the end and I will be shocked if u tell me u are not a Catholic priest, infact the kind of knowledge u poured out here is more Dan what most of our priests can offer. I hope ur parish knows what they have in u and engage u in the teaching of know ur faith. I really learnt alot from u this morning, thanks so much bro. I wish I can always av u around whenever all these protestants come around to spew rubbish.

1 Like

Re: Good Friday; The Commemoration Of The Death Of Our Lord Jesus Christ by Bgetto: 9:05am On Apr 19, 2019
Hebrew 5:7 During the days of Jesus’ life on earth, he offered up prayers and petitions with fervent cries and tears to the one who could save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverent submission. So according to Bible when was alive he pray so hard not to die this verse said and God answered his prayers and these verses didn't said he pray to the Father to arise up from the dead and many more from ur record Jesus didnt die on the cross in Mathew 26:39, mark 14:35 and Quran said those claim Jesus was crucified has no certain knowledge what Happen dere and if you read bible all follower when they came to arrest Jesus they run away when upper room, Quran said further they kill him not neither cruscified him but it's appear to them like so but for assurity they kill him not and please go and do research book written Jesus was not crucified is double the one he's crucified written by reasonable and great people and they are not Muslim just historian and there are not less than 7 sec in early christiniaty who believe that the master didnt die on cross it's Paul come 300 year after Jesus and have deal with pegan king mix christiniaty with peganism and crucified Jesus, please go and do research how many pegan God die for the sin of their follower since before Jesus is comes
Re: Good Friday; The Commemoration Of The Death Of Our Lord Jesus Christ by jmoore(m): 9:05am On Apr 19, 2019
opparadise:

Easter didn't begin from Jesus. What part of the sentence 'looking up the origin of events' don't you understand.
Are you allergic to having sense even with your food-flask head?
Monday to Sunday are named after pagan gods. Until you come up with another for them, keep your ignorance in your wardrobe.
Re: Good Friday; The Commemoration Of The Death Of Our Lord Jesus Christ by anderson96: 9:20am On Apr 19, 2019
modaink333:
Good Friday is a Christian holiday commemorating the crucifixion of Jesus and his death at Calvary. It is observed during Holy Week as part of the Paschal Triduum on the Friday preceding Easter Sunday, and may coincide with the Jewish observance of Passover. It is also known as Holy Friday, Great Friday, and Black Friday
The date of Good Friday varies from one year to the next on both the Gregorian and Julian calendars. Eastern and Western Christianity disagree over the computation of the date of Easter and therefore of Good Friday. Good Friday is a widely instituted legal holiday around the world, including in most Western countries and 12 U.S. states.[8] Some countries, such as Germany, have laws prohibiting certain acts, such as dancing and horse racing, that are seen as profaning the solemn nature of the day.
Re: Good Friday; The Commemoration Of The Death Of Our Lord Jesus Christ by opparadise: 9:25am On Apr 19, 2019
Re: Good Friday; The Commemoration Of The Death Of Our Lord Jesus Christ by Alexandro15: 9:43am On Apr 19, 2019
kullozone:

I'll be acting the part of Jackie Chansmiley

Haha. Hilarious
Re: Good Friday; The Commemoration Of The Death Of Our Lord Jesus Christ by Nobody: 10:24am On Apr 19, 2019
cyrilamx:
When you dont understand the significance of something plz ask questions and dont let your anti-catholic bias influence your write up. This was a church built around 12-13th century. In an era where majority of populace were not only poor to afford few hand copied bibles available but also unlettered. Hence the importance of visual and representative Arts to help teach the people the faith. Stop using your 21st century ideas to judge 800 years knowledge.

Now take your time and read the below article about Notre Dame de Paris' Images...

Demonic gargoyles on Catholic Churches..... (these photos are from Notre-Dame de Paris).

Some extremist Pentecostal websites said: “Catholics are to blame for the flames at Notre-Dame. The building has a lot of demons on it. Catholics invited this upon themselves. “��‍♂️��‍♂️��‍♂️

In the past, when I was much more reactionary, I might have misinterpreted the intentions of those who have criticized the presence of gargoyles (demonic sculptures) in Catholic Church building. But on a 2nd thought I think the sentiments of those who are uncomfortable with those structures are LEGITIMATE this.one.time. I don’t think they stem from anti-catholic prejudice that is prevalent in Protestant circles..... unfortunately.

So perhaps, I should say a thing or two about them. I’ve outlined four points.... strangely the last two are the most important. That has always been my style. I save the best for the last. The first two explains why Catholics allow paintings, images and sculptures in the first place.

BEFORE THAT, A PREFACE:
In my logic and philosophy class, back in undergrad.... I picked up something from my lecturer that changed my life FOREVER. He said: “when you want to criticize a people. Study them with a clean slate. Place yourself in their shoes. You don’t necessarily need to agree with them on the long run, but you’d see things in their perspective. In a way, this even helps you in countering their arguments at the very root.”

With this in mind, I plead that those of you whose anti-Catholicism erupts like a volcano, at the mere mention of the word: CATHOLIC, should keep calm and hear me out. You don’t necessarily need to agree with me, but at least you’d understand the reason why demonic sculptures are on some ancient Catholic Churches.

1. First and foremost, the Roman Catholic, orthodox, traditional-Lutheran and traditional-Anglican understanding of “images, sculptures and paintings” is very different from those of most Protestants.

For Catholics, when God forbade the making of images, he wasn’t saying you can’t have images. He was saying you can’t deify (godize) images or worship them. A few chapters after God forbade the making of images, he instructed the Israelites on the specifications of how the temple of Jerusalem should be built. What do we find there: images, sculptures and unknown creatures. The most significant is the sculpture of the two cherubims above the Ark of the covenant on either side.

If he forbad images, in their totality, why would he instruct that above the ‘holy of Holies’ (as the ark is called), should be the sculpture of two Cherubims. And remember, it was typical for the Priests to lay flat before it. In fact, non, but the tribe of Levi could even touch it. On one occasion, during the transportation of the ark, it almost fell from the hands of the Priests. Two lay men decided to save the ark from falling and the Bible records that the lord struck them dead, IMMEDIATELY.

This shows that the ark with the cherubims was very important, I could even say ‘sacred.’

Was it not the same God that instructed Moses to mould the snake and place it on a standard? And through it, transmitted his healing power on the Jews in the wilderness that looked onto it.

We can immediately see, that the biblical prohibition on statues are not absolute. What the Bible forbids is that “you shall not have any other god besides me.” Don’t deify images, sculptures and statues. Technically, if we are to apply the obscure logic used against Catholics, then the Bible might also forbid us having regular family pictures in our homes; It will be a sin for a grieving mother to kiss the picture of her deceased son; Rochas Okorocha might be on a first class flight to hell for his multiple sculptures in Owerri. (Don’t tell him I wrote this � ).

I know to Protestant sensibilities, the idea of Catholics bowing to images of saints, is a form of worship. But that’s not really true. I know we have some Catholics who are excessive about the outward practice of their faith, but we must look at official church documents and teachings. The Catholic is not like some churches, where you do what you like. The Catholic Church has canons, ecumenical councils, synods and official papal documents. If you do as you please, well you’re living contrary to the catholic faith. FULL STOP!

Anglicanism itself allows that joke. It calls it “comprehensiveness and diversity.” (This wasn’t intended to be a critique of Anglicans. I am only quoting the official church documents on diversity of theological expression as composed by Anglicans themselves in the Lambert Conference). CATHOLICISM calls that heresy.

More-also, If bowing to anyone but God is an act of worship, then we are in for a serious problem. Yoruba people will be going to hell for prostrating before their elders; the English and royalists around the world will also go to hell for ‘curtsying’ to royals. Lawyers also bow to judges. The lists go on. So we should be careful what we wish for.

So images are not forbidden by God but worshipping them is. Bowing to anything or anyone but God does not necessarily mean it constitutes an act of worship.

2. Secondly, it’s painful when modern lawyers are ignorant of history and the evolution of civil law.

Most of us don’t know that civil law in anglophone and francophone jurisdictions- in the past- were influenced by Roman law. It explains why ‘Latin’ was the official language of the educated in ancient Europe.

Law as obtained in common law jurisdictions (England, Nigeria, Scotland, some parts of Canada, Australia, Ghana, America etc), have their roots in ancient religions, particularly of Ancient Rome.

It is a principle of Roman law that ‘an act’ (actus reus) is not sufficient to establish guilt. The ‘mental element’ (mens rea) is important for someone to be guilty.

The same is obtainable in moral questions. So the fact that a catholic stands before a statue may constitute the ‘act’, we must consider the ‘mental’ element. Is that person intending to worship that statue as a god?

If you want my sincere opinion, NO CATHOLIC INTENDS TO DEIFY STATUES. I know some have extreme ways of expressing their catholic faith, but I have been a catholic all my life and trust me when I say: I HAVE NEVER EVER CONSIDERED A STATUE OR MARY AS MY gOD. I BELIEVE IN THE TRUDINE GOD like most Christians and nothing more.

In fact, two years into his pontificate, Pope Benedict XVIII excommunicated a group of nuns in Latin America. They claimed Mary was equal to the father, the son and the Holy Spirit. After asking them to recant their heretical position, they refused. THE POPE EXCOMMUNICATED THEM. And to date, they’ve not been accepted back to the Catholic Church. But anti-catholic Protestant theologians will never ever report this sort of news, because it doesn’t fuel/feed their anti-Catholicism.

In those centuries and the centuries preceding them, most of Europe’s population was illiterate. So the church devised a means of teaching the illiterate population: it used pictures and sculptures. ART SPEAKS TO EVERYONE, even to illiterates.

So it became very usual for ancient Catholic Churches to be filled with paintings, images and sculptures. The church uses them for teaching, expression of theological questions. Modern Protestants do the same. They act movies and cartoons of Jesus. Those are also images. Let’s not forget.

It is an extreme reading of the prohibition of images, sculptures and statues that has led Muslims to attack anyone who attempts to represent Allah or Mohammed in movies and cartoons. Christian biblical fundamentalists want to take us down the same cursed path.

4. About the presence gargoyles on church buildings ....... they are used as a depiction of the ugliness of sin, evil and Satan.

Strictly speaking, gargoyles weren’t even intended to depict demons. They were intended to depict how sin disfigures God’s creation.

The idea that they are demonic figures are funny. Non of us have seen demons, so where did we get the idea that gargoyles look like demos when non of us knows what a demon looks like

(All through this post I purposely referred to them as ‘demons’ because that is the popular opinion held......... I decided to flow with the ignorant.).

The ancients used it to show what evil does to the soul. That is why they are so ugly. To make that point they place the sculptures of gulgogs in obscure and disadvantaged positions, when compared to the apostles and the saints.

Notre Dame cathedral had the statues of the apostles elevated above the entire church on the spire. But the gargoyles beneath them. A copper rooster � is also placed atop the spire. In catholic iconography roosters � represent “announcing the gospel,” just as roosters do in real life every morning-announcing a new day.

That was a way of teaching the population that a life in Christ is an elevated way of living, while a life in the devil makes the soul ugly and unpresentable and is beneath those of the children of God.

Most importantly, they are placed outside the church. That was made intentionally. It was a way the artisans thought people that ‘outside the church/fold of Christ, all you have is darkness and Satan.

I am going through the pain of writing this long post so that Catholics can be understood from where we stand. We are not stupid to put images of Satan on our buildings without a reason. We hate him just as much as you do..... CUT US SOME SLACK.

We have reasons. They may not satisfy you but they satisfy us. And it is offensive to think that my faith must make sense to you. No! I am under no obligation to see things the way you do.

Protestants must stop this sheer nonsense of ‘arrogance of knowledge.” A subtle claim of possessing an accuracy of answers to all christological and Christian doctrinal Questions.

Lol, see plenty nonsense to defend the images but this logic cant be used for traditionalists they are instantly called series of unprintable names.
Re: Good Friday; The Commemoration Of The Death Of Our Lord Jesus Christ by cyrilamx(m): 11:06am On Apr 19, 2019
ollah1:

Lol, see plenty nonsense to defend the images but this logic cant be used for traditionalists they are instantly called series of unprintable names.
Rebuff my write up with even the scripture u love to quote....
Re: Good Friday; The Commemoration Of The Death Of Our Lord Jesus Christ by Funaki: 11:07am On Apr 19, 2019
cyrilamx:

BEFORE THAT, A PREFACE:

Re: Good Friday; The Commemoration Of The Death Of Our Lord Jesus Christ by megareal: 11:19am On Apr 19, 2019
All I can say is "Thank you Jesus for dying for me."
Re: Good Friday; The Commemoration Of The Death Of Our Lord Jesus Christ by Nobody: 11:21am On Apr 19, 2019
cyrilamx:
Rebuff my write up with even the scripture u love to quote....

I already did that. You hypocrisy stinks from afar, logic that cant be used for traditionalists is welcomed here. Splendid!!
Re: Good Friday; The Commemoration Of The Death Of Our Lord Jesus Christ by cyrilamx(m): 11:38am On Apr 19, 2019
ollah1:

I already did that. You hypocrisy stinks from afar, logic that cant be used for traditionalists is welcomed here. Splendid!!
it u that cant spot the log of wood in ur eyes...it horrible...and besides you hv a lame defence against my post...
Re: Good Friday; The Commemoration Of The Death Of Our Lord Jesus Christ by U1(m): 11:50am On Apr 19, 2019
cyrilamx:

BEFORE THAT, A PREFACE:

Wow! You really put a lot into this. I couldn't even read everything to the very end.

But, as you seemed to note, it's often pointless trying so hard to make people see things from the right perspective if they are prejudiced. I try not to bother much these days, but sometimes I can't help it.

Even till this day, millions, even billions, of people don't accept Jesus as the Son of God. It doesn't make sense to them for such a one to suffer and die in the hands of mere mortals.

All I can just say is: laissez faire!
Re: Good Friday; The Commemoration Of The Death Of Our Lord Jesus Christ by Greatzeus(m): 6:27pm On Apr 19, 2019
I give all glory to God for sacrificing his Son for the sins of the world,he paid the price for my sins and now I'm free.
Re: Good Friday; The Commemoration Of The Death Of Our Lord Jesus Christ by ajaolu(m): 8:56pm On Apr 19, 2019
sherylbakky:
Happy birthday
Thanks so much. God bless you.

1 Like

Re: Good Friday; The Commemoration Of The Death Of Our Lord Jesus Christ by ajaolu(m): 8:57pm On Apr 19, 2019
IamZod:

Happy birthday bro.
More life IJN.
Thanks so much. May you be blessed handsomely in Jesus mighty name.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

THREAD: HIGHER EVERYDAY- DAILY GUIDE For YOUTHS With W.F.KUMUYI (deeper Life) / The Book Of Enoch Exposed!!!! / Trinity Doctrine Exposed - See Why It Is False

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 165
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.