Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,398 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:27 AM

Once Beaten, Twice Shy! - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Once Beaten, Twice Shy! (430 Views)

Once Bitten, Twice Shy - 1st Term School Fees / How I Studied Pharmacy Twice By Lauretta Oyemwenosa Obakpolo / Please Help; I'm Too Shy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Once Beaten, Twice Shy! by Josnac(m): 7:03am On Apr 19, 2019
[b][/b]

Few days ago, on Monday precisely, the neutral cable of the power line running in front of my residence got severed from one end of the supporting electric poles.

So, when power was restored later, ours was very low..then on Tuesday, a guy who lives in the zone came to fix it while EEDC officials worked on the transformer itself.

Oya fast forward to Wednesday, power was restored in the morning and ours was as high as a kite. My fan practically did more RPMs than a chopper blade and my iron, though on its lowest, would pick and disconnect within 4seconds will being hotter than a bread oven.

I was happy o..jejely ironing my clothes as the fan blew like it will be its last. All the while my thinking was that the EEDC guys who came to fix the transformer really knew their onions as the current was full.

Meanwhile, no other electrical appliance was ON, but just plugged in their respective sockets including my laptop charger, my CD player was in standby mode as it doesn't use a step-down.

Then kasala burst!
The fan that has been revving as if I quarreled with it a night before went up in flames inside the coil compartment, come and see me race to the changeover switch to cut power to the entire apartment. Then few mins later, power was off, this is Nigeria.

Around 9pm on Wednesday, I took my bath and retired to my bed, few mins later my landlady knocked to tell me power was back on, I told her I was in the know because I had a little indicator bulb included in my changeover set-up. I thought of getting up to continue with some building plans I was working on, but was too tired, so I relaxed..but the power went off in less than 10mins and I just sighed.

So, while I slept around past 11:pm that Wednesday night, I got woken up by a sound like "kpaaaaa"... I just jerked up, remembered my laptop charger was left plugged in, then rushed to check it, but Alas, it got burnt by the over high current too...my extension equally got blown while I tried to later disconnect the burnt charger.

1 Like

Re: Once Beaten, Twice Shy! by Josnac(m): 7:03am On Apr 19, 2019
Continued:

So I eventually pulled out the extension socket altogether.. Then it dawned on me I was in a rough patch...My CD player, laptop charger, and fan had all gotten "burnt" in a space of 15 hours!

So later that morning, I went to a neighboring building to fetch water, as I did I asked the guy if their own current was as high as ours, he said "nooo, our own dey normal.. Bros you sure say dem no put una cable for one live for that pole"

In that instant, I remembered it was right at the same pole where the guy had worked on the previous Monday.. So he followed me to my house, called out one of my neighbors and they went to check the pole...and alas, our 2 cables was connected on one live ..which resulted in the over high current.

Quickly, the neighbor went around looking for the guy who'd fixed stuff on the pole ..initially he wanted to do gra gra to absolve himself of any blame but on reaching there to see by himself, he jejely mellowed down and asked to be allowed to go bring ladder to readjust the cables.
Chai!!!
I was angry, no be small.. But what will a man do?
Being peaceful is just a lifestyle.. But at the back of it, I had appliances gone bad because of a crazy mistake, not to talk of my neighbors some their TVs, some CDs, others fans and bulbs too...the loss was just immense.

So last night, after I bathed and retired to my bed.. They brought the power again.. But since I used generator during the day and didn't change back to EEDC, I just took one look at my indicator light and sighed... Who knows the next thing that could get burnt this night?? Abeg, make dem keep their light, na so I sleep!

2 Likes

Re: Once Beaten, Twice Shy! by Josnac(m): 7:06am On Apr 19, 2019
D

(1) (Reply)

Masters In Computer Engineering Or Control Engineering / International Students Open World Scholarships 2019 At Norwich Business School / 5 Types Of Friends You Will Definitely Meet On Campus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.