Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,698 members, 7,802,061 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:34 AM

ESUT Female Student Who Hawks ‘Okpa’ In School Makes Waves (Photo) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ESUT Female Student Who Hawks ‘Okpa’ In School Makes Waves (Photo) (48045 Views)

Indian Lecturer With PhD, 4 Master’s Degrees Hawks Vegetables To Survive / Chiwetalu Charity, Physically-Challenged ESUT Female Student Narrates Ordeal / Chidozie Ojobor, A first Class graduate of UNN, makes waves At the global scene (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

ESUT Female Student Who Hawks ‘Okpa’ In School Makes Waves (Photo) by dre11(m): 10:25am On Apr 19, 2019
Felix Ikem, Nsukka

At a time many desperate young girls are doing unimaginable things, including selling their bodies to make money, a 300 level female student of Public Administration, of the Enugu State University of Science and Technology (ESUT), Agbani, is poised to make a difference.

Juliet Ozioko, 21, said she was pushed by the dwindling economy coupled with the urge to be self-reliant to start the business of preparing and selling Okpa; a popular snack in Igbo land, especially amongst the people of Enugu state.

The enterprise which she started only recently, according to Ozioko, is fast bringing her fame on campus, regardless that many of her classmates mocked her initially.

She told our correspondent that she wakes up early in the morning to start the cooking and by 7am she will be ready to go. Then, she would visit other occupants of a private hostel where she resides in Enugu to find out those would buy the product for breakfast, thereafter, she would take the remaining to the campus in Agbani.

At the campus, she sells to her departmental students before taking what is left to other departments to sell.

Ozioko who also makes a local drink called zobo said: “I started the business just to keep myself busy, get income and augment what I’m getting from my parents for my studies and upkeep.

“I left other businesses and focused on okpa because I am trying to promote one of the best foods Nsukka is widely known for and to promote the culture of my hometown. Mind you, okpa though taken as snacks is one of those foods when you eat it in the morning; it will sustain you for the whole day.”

The young lady disclosed that she makes in the average about N2000 every day from sales, indicating that her studies actually inhibit her desire to expand the trade.

Surprisingly, Ozioko said that she did not have any formal training in preparing the local food but got the skill while she watched her mother cook it overtime.

“I wasn’t trained; I’m just a normal girl who sits in the kitchen while mum cooks, so, my love for okpa made me learn it so fast from my mother,” she said.

Asked what is special about her okpa, she explained that it is tasty and natural because she does not just use any kind of palm oil, adding that she prepares it under very hygienic condition.

The enterprising student also talked about her plans to package the okpa in a special way that it could with time become a brand.

How do other students look at you on this business?

Some students do murmur things like, I don’t even know that she can do this kind of business and some funny comments, most of them do ask me, Juliet, so you’re now selling okpa and I will reply them, no I am selling suya… the good thing is that the business has kept me away from unnecessary distraction.

How do you combine it with your academics?

I do wake up very early in the morning to make the okpa, latest by 7am it will be ready, then I will take my bath, sell to my fellow students in the hostel and take the rest to school. It doesn’t affect my studies at all.

To what extent do you think you will go in this business?

Well, I can’t really say for now, but I know it’s not ending yet, by God’s grace we might have a factory where we produce okpa in large scale. Again, am targeting places like boarding schools and government institutions where I can get contract to supply the okpa, occasionally.

What are the challenges you face in the business?

During my first week in the business, some students were saying ‘your okpa is too big. You won’t make gain if you continue to size it like this’, but lately they were like, increase the size a bit, that alone is a big challenge because if you don’t serve them right, you might lose customers, and I don’t want to lose any of them. Sometimes, you might not sell as fast as you wished; if I notice that people in our department are not ready to eat okpa, I will have to take it to other departments to sell.

Do you have the capacity to supply large quantity say 1000 pieces, if you get an order?

Yes, and that will give me the opportunity to employ some hands and boost the business.

What is your advice to other students who depend solely on their parents/guardians for all their needs?

My advice for them is that nothing is too small to do; it depends on how you run your business. In whatever you do, always remember there are ups and downs, so you will have to be ready to endure, have patience, be determined, and keep being focused.

I urge my fellow students who still depend on their parents for everything to start little business. It will really help them, and keep them away from many negative things. Don’t be shy in anything that earns you little money, be bold, proud and love what you do as long as it’s legitimate. God will lift you. Remember that an idle man is devil’s workshop.

https://www.sunnewsonline.com/esut-female-student-makes-wave-hawking-okpa/

15 Likes

Re: ESUT Female Student Who Hawks ‘Okpa’ In School Makes Waves (Photo) by daddytime(m): 10:33am On Apr 19, 2019
Well done my original slay queen.

Thanks for not joining the bad gangs of shiit eaters...

51 Likes 4 Shares

Re: ESUT Female Student Who Hawks ‘Okpa’ In School Makes Waves (Photo) by SageMK: 10:57am On Apr 19, 2019
Most of them do ask me, Juliet, so you’re now selling okpa and I will reply them, no I am selling suya.

Nice one Juliet. grin

170 Likes 12 Shares

Re: ESUT Female Student Who Hawks ‘Okpa’ In School Makes Waves (Photo) by lilianofentse(f): 11:45am On Apr 19, 2019
Please someone should tell what the guy is staring at.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: ESUT Female Student Who Hawks ‘Okpa’ In School Makes Waves (Photo) by unclefresh(m): 12:04pm On Apr 19, 2019
Wish I can support her financially

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: ESUT Female Student Who Hawks ‘Okpa’ In School Makes Waves (Photo) by christejames(m): 12:13pm On Apr 19, 2019
Missing Okpa Nsukka!

If you are in Nsukkaland and you don't taste this delicacy just know that you have a problem with your taste bud.

UNN Franco guys will always remember Madam Okpa of Eni Njoku hall...

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: ESUT Female Student Who Hawks ‘Okpa’ In School Makes Waves (Photo) by somito121(m): 1:18pm On Apr 19, 2019
lilianofentse:
Must you ask. Me self I am just looking at you like tongue

1 Like

Re: ESUT Female Student Who Hawks ‘Okpa’ In School Makes Waves (Photo) by OkpaNsukkaisBae(m): 1:27pm On Apr 19, 2019
Na ma favorite b dat...
Re: ESUT Female Student Who Hawks ‘Okpa’ In School Makes Waves (Photo) by jauntty: 1:28pm On Apr 19, 2019
Fine babe... Yellow like the Okpa

I remember my time in Enugu... Their Okpa is the best ever.

I will chose Enugu Okpa over Sharwama any day.

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: ESUT Female Student Who Hawks ‘Okpa’ In School Makes Waves (Photo) by jauntty: 1:30pm On Apr 19, 2019
unclefresh:
you sure it's just financially you want to support grin

Maybe you can start by supporting that poor boy on your street that hawk pure water everyday under the hot sun grin grin

25 Likes

Re: ESUT Female Student Who Hawks ‘Okpa’ In School Makes Waves (Photo) by TANID(m): 2:17pm On Apr 19, 2019
Wow I Love Her For This
Re: ESUT Female Student Who Hawks ‘Okpa’ In School Makes Waves (Photo) by TANID(m): 2:19pm On Apr 19, 2019
jauntty:
you sure it's just financially you want to support grin
grin grin

2 Likes

Re: ESUT Female Student Who Hawks ‘Okpa’ In School Makes Waves (Photo) by Nairalandmentor(m): 3:04pm On Apr 19, 2019
Give it to them...igbos are generally hardworking. Meanwhile, wife material spotted.

No advance payments required! Get your website designed then pay after. Kindly click HERE to see our beautiful designs.

4 Likes

Re: ESUT Female Student Who Hawks ‘Okpa’ In School Makes Waves (Photo) by Nobody: 3:06pm On Apr 19, 2019
lilianofentse:
He's staring at her memorandum lipsrsealed
Re: ESUT Female Student Who Hawks ‘Okpa’ In School Makes Waves (Photo) by PearlStreet(m): 3:07pm On Apr 19, 2019
Why is that idiot looking at her back, is the okpa in her back pocket?

6 Likes

Re: ESUT Female Student Who Hawks ‘Okpa’ In School Makes Waves (Photo) by Monaco2(m): 3:08pm On Apr 19, 2019
Don’t be surprise that she occasionally does runs tongue
Bcus she sells okpa does not mean she does not sell herself ones in a while
Dem plenty wey Dey hawk around n if a guy offers good money dem Dey follow am enter house immediately... especially for school

5 Likes

Re: ESUT Female Student Who Hawks ‘Okpa’ In School Makes Waves (Photo) by HitSong: 3:08pm On Apr 19, 2019
selling strategies... wink

1 Like

Re: ESUT Female Student Who Hawks ‘Okpa’ In School Makes Waves (Photo) by Nobody: 3:08pm On Apr 19, 2019
You are a real slay queen. May Oluwa bless your hustle.
Re: ESUT Female Student Who Hawks ‘Okpa’ In School Makes Waves (Photo) by PearlStreet(m): 3:09pm On Apr 19, 2019
unclefresh:

United Nations, you don't have those in your family and immediate community you can support?

You turn yourself to Microfinance Bank cos of babe.

22 Likes

Re: ESUT Female Student Who Hawks ‘Okpa’ In School Makes Waves (Photo) by seunmohmoh(f): 3:10pm On Apr 19, 2019
GOOD ONE.
Re: ESUT Female Student Who Hawks ‘Okpa’ In School Makes Waves (Photo) by KubwaBoy: 3:10pm On Apr 19, 2019
I guess the mod pushing all these ESUT news to FP is an admission seeker in ESUT undecided

4 Likes

Re: ESUT Female Student Who Hawks ‘Okpa’ In School Makes Waves (Photo) by PearlStreet(m): 3:11pm On Apr 19, 2019
Nairalandmentor:
Give it to them...igbos are generally hardworking. Meanwhile, wife material spotted.

If it's all about hawking okpa, it's a no-brainier. Anyone anywhere can engage in food business and succeed.

She is not more hardworking than undergrads in other schools, engaging in legit businesses.

God bless her hustle and she'll be very successful in life.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: ESUT Female Student Who Hawks ‘Okpa’ In School Makes Waves (Photo) by Lovelyn451(f): 3:14pm On Apr 19, 2019
Financial security is bae

1 Like

Re: ESUT Female Student Who Hawks ‘Okpa’ In School Makes Waves (Photo) by Pavore9: 3:16pm On Apr 19, 2019
Nothing beats hot okpa in the morning! cheesy

1 Like

Re: ESUT Female Student Who Hawks ‘Okpa’ In School Makes Waves (Photo) by lastempero: 3:17pm On Apr 19, 2019
Original nwa.
Re: ESUT Female Student Who Hawks ‘Okpa’ In School Makes Waves (Photo) by Pavore9: 3:17pm On Apr 19, 2019
Monaco2:
Dem plenty wey Dey hawk around n if a guy offers good money dem Dey follow am enter house immediately... especially for school

Even if females in your family occasionally does runs, don't generalize it.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: ESUT Female Student Who Hawks ‘Okpa’ In School Makes Waves (Photo) by Avater0147(m): 3:18pm On Apr 19, 2019
True talk, I do know of a girl that sell Nigerian spices in Ivory Coast, but she also sometime do runs as well to back up most time
Monaco2:

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2 AAU Female Graduates Who Accused Lecturer Of Sex For Grade Jailed / 25% Requirement: Solve This Mathematics Word Problem / Tunji Epketi-Micheal UI's 500Level Rusticated Student Of

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.