Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,749 members, 7,802,295 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:04 PM

Does New Minimum Wage Affect All Salary Earners? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Does New Minimum Wage Affect All Salary Earners? (37349 Views)

Has Any Federal Civil Servant Received The New Minimum Wage? / How Best To Utilize The New Minimum Wage / How Will The New Minimum Wage Affect My Current Salary? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does New Minimum Wage Affect All Salary Earners? by CaptainMitch: 9:50am On Apr 20, 2019
No it's not the same percentage.
Ferdinandu:
The same % the minimum wage is increased is the same % every other worker in all levels is increased
Re: Does New Minimum Wage Affect All Salary Earners? by gumaveddy(m): 9:50am On Apr 20, 2019
What is the government doing about youths services kopas allowee are we going to benefit from the new minimum wage?
Re: Does New Minimum Wage Affect All Salary Earners? by usanumber2: 9:51am On Apr 20, 2019
Yes

Re: Does New Minimum Wage Affect All Salary Earners? by Nobody: 9:52am On Apr 20, 2019
Amitez:

My understanding is that it has little or no effect on everyone earning above minimum wage. That is how it is applied world over.
In my opinion, only cleaners, messengers and those whose wages are below N30k will be affected, therefore, any governor objecting to it or using it as excuse to owe salary should resign. In fact a serious Labour union would have determined the real impact on their states, but no, they will just be slumbering while the government deceive the populace with excuse of higher wage bills.

Use ur head. U write this long epistle wey no make sense.
U think increasing cleaner's salary from 18k to 30k that has been giving Governors Headache to pay?
Ok, imagine increasing a cleaner's salary from 18k to 30k to meet up with a Grade level 4 officer who's already on 30k a month?

5 Likes

Re: Does New Minimum Wage Affect All Salary Earners? by Nigerdailytimes: 9:52am On Apr 20, 2019
Good morning Nigeria and welcome to Easter for the year 2019. Happy Easter to you, your friends and your family From Nigeria news live.

Easter is celebrated by people practising Christianity all over the world every third or fourth month of the year. March or April

https://www.newsliveng.com/2019/04/happy-easter-here-are-top-easter-messages-prayers-you-should-try-sending-families/

Re: Does New Minimum Wage Affect All Salary Earners? by LogicStatement: 9:54am On Apr 20, 2019
OkaNaUbe:
No, private companies are at will to pay whatever they dim fit.
Private organisations are not excluded. This is a Nigerian labour law binding on all organisations operating in Nigeria. It may interest you to know that the tripartite committee constituted to come up with a new minimum wage comprised of representatives from the government, labour and private sector

1 Like

Re: Does New Minimum Wage Affect All Salary Earners? by olaolaking: 9:57am On Apr 20, 2019
ainas247:
for where?
a company that has union labour would pay a company without it might not pay

Put your business on Google
and make it rank to page 1
come now
Tell me more about this google of a thing
Re: Does New Minimum Wage Affect All Salary Earners? by ainas247: 9:59am On Apr 20, 2019
olaolaking:
Tell me more about this google of a thing

Its to rank your business or website on Google page 1
that means more people will see your business
check my profile to see some result or you WhatsApp me
for better communication.
Re: Does New Minimum Wage Affect All Salary Earners? by Josephamstrong1(m): 9:59am On Apr 20, 2019
12k is added to all salaries.
Don't even think that % BS.
Now it is 66.7%, you think you can be skyrocketed from 150k to 250k? Dream on.
It is called minimum wage. The lowest you can pay to any federal or civil worker.
So, expect 12k increment. lol grin

8 Likes

Re: Does New Minimum Wage Affect All Salary Earners? by Acidosis(m): 10:00am On Apr 20, 2019
ETHIX:

Minimum wage affects all workers' salary. The salary structure is computed using the minimum wage. The last minimum wage was computed using N18,000.

Now that it has changed to N30,000 workers salary will be adjusted to reflect the increase at all levels. Minimum wage increase is not just for cleaners

LOL. You've not been following the whole debate. The current minimum wage only affects those earning below 30k.

The argument is that no worker should earn below 30k. If you're currently on a salary of 500k per month, do not expect a 40% increment -- 900k. Your salary remains the same.
Which of the state governors or CEOs can double your salary at the current state of the economy?

That's the argument and conclusion both at the executive and legislative arms.

Issues like this are some of the reasons some of us kicked against the senseless increment in minimum wage. How can you increase minimum wage from 18k to 30k (40% increment) and tell those earning 40k, 100k, etc. to go to hell? Labour union also f00lishly agreed to the du.mb idea.

The public like you and many others out there are also making the same mistake. You all were f00led. Your salary will not increase, not even by 1% unless you earn below 30k.

Better to increase minimum wage by 15% and allow it affect all Nigerian public and private sector workers. That's what I expect from Labour Unions. The current arrangement is dum.b, an idea of du.mb legislators in Abuja.

4 Likes

Re: Does New Minimum Wage Affect All Salary Earners? by Nobody: 10:05am On Apr 20, 2019
Yes
Re: Does New Minimum Wage Affect All Salary Earners? by seborrhic: 10:08am On Apr 20, 2019
buygala:
And some lawyers are earning 20k naira monthly.... sad

Is this sarcasm or you just joking?
Re: Does New Minimum Wage Affect All Salary Earners? by Acidosis(m): 10:11am On Apr 20, 2019
Blainz:

Use ur head. U write this long epistle wey no make sense.
U think increasing cleaner's salary from 18k to 30k that has been giving Governors Headache to pay?
Ok, imagine increasing a cleaner's salary from 18k to 30k to meet up with a Grade level 4 officer who's already on 30k a month?

Unfortunately, that's what your Senators agreed on.

You guys really need to watch some of the plenary sessions to see how dumb some of your Senators are. It is not always about sharing rice and pasta every 4 years.

Majority of your Senators do not understand the meaning of minimum wage. They're highly ignorant and do not understand your observation.

1 Like

Re: Does New Minimum Wage Affect All Salary Earners? by slimdamatrix1(m): 10:13am On Apr 20, 2019
goshen26:

Time for some companies to stylishly add the job of cleaner to the main staff

I was working as electrician in a furniture company in 2017, they were paying me a stipend less than 40k, I threatened to resign not because of the low income but cos they owed salary like kilode. When the chairman get major contract, and its executed, he will fly abroad with his wife.

A times they will carry me home to fix chairman's house electric fault

I told the MD I was going to resign, the MD pleaded "Is it cos of ur salary" I said No

The next day, MD called me on phone cos I did not go to work, that mgt has increase my take home, and has also given more task to supervise cleaners...

I just laughed and asked them to hold their money...

TO GOD BE THE GLORY I NOW WORK WITH A STATE GOVT

Happy for you.
God is faithful

3 Likes

Re: Does New Minimum Wage Affect All Salary Earners? by gentlegenius(m): 10:16am On Apr 20, 2019
buygala:

And some ogas are still owing them arrears without any explanation undecided

Sometimes I think some of us made a mistake paying that 295k law school fees.....or even going to university for that matter...

We would have fared much better investing those school funds in business cry

E go better sha smiley
Same thoughts there...
Re: Does New Minimum Wage Affect All Salary Earners? by daddy001: 10:17am On Apr 20, 2019
Acidosis:

LOL. You've not been following the whole debate. The current minimum wage only affects those earning below 30k.

The argument is that no worker should earn below 30k. If you're currently on a salary of 500k per month, do not expect a 40% increment -- 900k. Your salary remains the same.
Which of the state governors or CEOs can double your salary at the current state of the economy?

Issues like this are some of the reasons some of us kicked against the senseless increment in minimum wage. How can you increase minimum wage from 18k to 30k (40% increment) and tell those earning 40k, 100k, etc. to go to hell? Labour union also f00lishly agreed to the du.mb. The public like you and many others out there are also making the same mistake. You all were f00led. Your salary will not increase, not even by 1% unless you earn below 30k.

Better to increase minimum wage by 15% and allow it affect all Nigerian public and private sectors. That's what I expect from Labour Unions. The current arrangement is dum.b, an idea of du.mb legislators in Abuja.
Why worry.... wait for the Salary structure to be released !The increment is across board.

5 Likes

Re: Does New Minimum Wage Affect All Salary Earners? by seborrhic: 10:18am On Apr 20, 2019
Acidosis:

Unfortunately, that's what your Senators agreed on.

You guys really need to watch some of the plenary sessions to see how dumb some of your Senators are. It is not always about sharing rice and pasta every 4 years.

Majority of your Senators do not understand the meaning of minimum wage. They're highly ignorant and do not understand your observation.
My own understanding is that there will be some increase across board,but anything above N30k previously will not necessarily have same percentage increase.
Remember you must maintain some form of disparity in salary levels.

2 Likes

Re: Does New Minimum Wage Affect All Salary Earners? by BillgatesMaigad(m): 10:22am On Apr 20, 2019
What is a minimum wage?

Inline with international best practices, a minimum wage is the minimum salary and allowances payable to the worker. Shikena!
But if an employer of labour can pay more than that then its okay but let it not fall below 30k monthly

Just that in 9ja a place where impunity is the order of the day, employers of labour can deserve to pay you whatever they dim fit. That is why an employee can goto court to challenge his employer.
Re: Does New Minimum Wage Affect All Salary Earners? by Darklite(m): 10:22am On Apr 20, 2019
Acidosis:

Issues like this are some of the reasons some of us kicked against the senseless increment in minimum wage. How can you increase minimum wage from 18k to 30k (40% increment) and tell those earning 40k, 100k, etc. to go to hell? Labour union also f00lishly agreed to the du.mb idea.

The public like you and many others out there are also making the same mistake. You all were f00led. Your salary will not increase, not even by 1% unless you earn below 30k.

Better to increase minimum wage by 15% and allow it affect all Nigerian public and private sector workers. That's what I expect from Labour Unions. The current arrangement is dum.b, an idea of du.mb legislators in Abuja.
minimum wage is across all levels. Percentage increase might differs though

3 Likes

Re: Does New Minimum Wage Affect All Salary Earners? by freemi(m): 10:22am On Apr 20, 2019
omonla10:
that's impossible.. So if u earn 150k now u will earn 300k abi? Fa fa fa foul.. 150k might be increased to like 180k sha..

Ibadan pizza
my own undastndn, if 5k is added 2 earner of 25k to mke 30k then 5k wl b added also to earners above 25k. Wat am i even sayin sef

1 Like

Re: Does New Minimum Wage Affect All Salary Earners? by dayounglor(m): 10:23am On Apr 20, 2019
abdeiz:
I'm concerned about those who actually earn more than the minimum wage both in public and private sectors. Would this signage mean they also get an increment to their current salaries or it remains static?

Ganzi!!!
Re: Does New Minimum Wage Affect All Salary Earners? by freemi(m): 10:25am On Apr 20, 2019
LogicStatement:
In an organisation where the least cadre is earning below N30,000 then, it will be increased to the new wage which will affect all other levels. But in an organisation where the least already earns N30,000 or above, the organisation may not effect any change. The important thing with this law is that any organisation with staff of 25 people and above must make sure they pay the least worker at least N30,000
u wil ce how organisatns wl sack staff to 25
Re: Does New Minimum Wage Affect All Salary Earners? by Nicklaus619(m): 10:28am On Apr 20, 2019
Amitez:

My understanding is that it has little or no effect on everyone earning above minimum wage. That is how it is applied world over.
In my opinion, only cleaners, messengers and those whose wages are below N30k will be affected, therefore, any governor objecting to it or using it as excuse to owe salary should resign. In fact a serious Labour union would have determined the real impact on their states, but no, they will just be slumbering while the government deceive the populace with excuse of higher wage bills.

U are mouthed bro, u said it all cool
Re: Does New Minimum Wage Affect All Salary Earners? by mistacoco2: 10:32am On Apr 20, 2019
When will the new minimum wage reflect to the workers salary account? Is it next month or when a supplementary budget is made? Pls I need answer to this
Re: Does New Minimum Wage Affect All Salary Earners? by sophiathefirst: 10:33am On Apr 20, 2019
buygala:

And some ogas are still owing them arrears without any explanation undecided

Sometimes I think some of us made a mistake paying that 295k law school fees.....or even going to university for that matter...

We would have fared much better investing those school funds in business cry

E go better sha smiley
Whenever I see person wet say him wan study law. I dey look the person one kind mumu eye.
Common nah
Levels dey; we can't their counterpact in the Medical professional. Even from Camp for service. You dey stay for sun them dey stay for clinic with AC forming cheesy
Them do housemanship they paid them no be minimum wage them pay them for internship ooh. Na tangible take home. Oya them come do residency 250k -350k. While lawyers 20k for service. And a Profession?
I don't know but by God's grace any of my child won't study law. I no do law for school ooh. I am just talking from the outside perspective. May be there is still something great about it but i see nothing really that big there except for few cases.
If u don't ve the grace of God and connection to see u through as a law graduate in Nigeria. because 80% of law graduate cant find a good job worth the name.
For me once u study medicine. You done make am. Atleast 90 to 95% graduate medical doctors re living well. Unless u no longer have the passion for the job and want diversion.
But LaW is a big No. May be passion can keep u going. Law is what i call oke afa n'egbu nwa mkpi grin Big names that kill u even when u no get shi shi. cheesy

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does New Minimum Wage Affect All Salary Earners? by urose93(f): 10:39am On Apr 20, 2019
ETHIX:

Minimum wage affects all workers' salary. The salary structure is computed using the minimum wage. The last minimum wage was computed using N18,000.

Now that it has changed to N30,000 workers salary will be adjusted to reflect the increase at all levels. Minimum wage increase is not just for cleaners

Very apt. The computation of an accurate salary structure using even the approved minimum wage is a mirage in Nigerian state.
This is where the government short-change their workers. They may end up using less than 25k to calculate the salaries relativities.
Here in one state in the south south, a certain S.S.G of the state then, gave us a strong order that the computation should be predicated at 11k instead of 18k in 2012. Sadly, the state labour union collaborated with the govt, and got their jumbo reward as usual. The state till date pays the least minimum wage as salaries.
Since we are fighting corruption in this 'NEXT LEVEL', please our beloved country, short changing our workforce is CORRUPTION and should be rejected in all the stratas of government and private/public enterprises.
Re: Does New Minimum Wage Affect All Salary Earners? by goldenboy92: 10:42am On Apr 20, 2019
Would it affect npower volunteers also?
abdeiz:
I'm concerned about those who actually earn more than the minimum wage both in public and private sectors. Would this signage mean they also get an increment to their current salaries or it remains static?
Re: Does New Minimum Wage Affect All Salary Earners? by abdeiz(m): 10:48am On Apr 20, 2019
ainas247:
for where?
a company that has union labour would pay a company without it might not pay

Put your business on Google
and make it rank to page 1
come now

Haa...where I work doesn't have any form of union
Re: Does New Minimum Wage Affect All Salary Earners? by Nobody: 10:53am On Apr 20, 2019
cool cool
Re: Does New Minimum Wage Affect All Salary Earners? by Gforce2019: 10:57am On Apr 20, 2019
Yes. Including Adamu Abdullah my may-guard.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Picture: Anything Bad Spending My Salary This Way? / Nurses Forum: Let's Meet Here / Skye Bank Salary Scale: Salary Of Skye Bank Nigeria PLC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.