Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,025 members, 7,807,027 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:43 AM

Wireless Charging: A Useless Feature In The Smartphone Industry - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Wireless Charging: A Useless Feature In The Smartphone Industry (31901 Views)

We Will Start Charging A Fee To Use X - Musk / Apple Iphone 11 Reverse Wireless Charging: A Confused State Of Affairs / Does Charging A Phone With A Laptop Spoil The Phone's Battery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wireless Charging: A Useless Feature In The Smartphone Industry by KCode: 4:09pm On Apr 20, 2019
TechCapon:

TechCapon

NUMBER TWO: WIRELESS CHARGERS ARE SLOWER THAN WIRED CHARGERS.

The weird thing about charging is that it uses something called electromagnetic induction. What that means is to transfer energy from one place (e.g wireless charge) to another (e.g smartphone). This concept uses two physical coils, the induction coil in the charger and the receiver coil in the phone. If the phone is placed on the charger but the two coils are not well aligned with each other the phone will not charge correctly.

This method of charging is much slower than plugging your phone using a wired charger which lets the power flow directly from the socket, through the wire and into the phone. Most wired chargers have a rating of 12W while most wireless chargers have a rating of between 7.5W to 10W. If you use a case or smartphone cover, the wireless charger may not even work at all until you remove the cover.

Some of may be wondering, what about wireless chargers with fast charge capabilities. Yeah, there are such wireless chargers no doubt but the thing is it only works with a phone from the same manufacturer. That means a Samsung wireless charger with fast charge will not work well with LG smartphone and vice versa. So if you don’t need a fast charger or you’re only charging your phone at night while you sleep, then a wireless charge might be okay for you.

NUMBER 3: YOU CAN’T USE YOUR PHONE CONVENIENTLY WHILE YOU’RE CHARGING IT WITH WIRELESS CHARGERS

Since a wireless charger requires you to place your phone on it for it to work, how are you going to use it while charging? The only way to use it is to remove it from the charger but it’s not that way with a wired charger. With a normal charger, you can answer a phone call, play games, use Instagram and so on while the phone is charging.

NUMBER 4: WIRELESS CHARGERS ARE NOT WIRELESS grin

wireless charging ?

Yeah, it sounds funny but it’s true. Wireless chargers are not wireless because the also have wires of their own which you still have to plug into the sockets for them to work. The only thing wireless about it is eliminating the wire between your phone and the charger. So if you still need to plug it in every time you use it, why call it a wireless charger?

NUMBER 5: WIRELESS CHARGERS ARE SO EXPENSIVE

wireless charging

Despite the fact that these wireless chargers are not as effective as the normal chargers, they’re still very expensive. The low budget ones cost between $15 to $30 while the fancy ones cost between $60 to $100

Notwithstanding, despite all these disadvantages, that doesn’t stop the smartphone companies from producing smartphones with wireless charging capabilities. If wireless chargers are to impress users, the companies will have to figure out a way to make these chargers work wireless just like Wi-Fi. Yes, so that if the charger is plugged in, the smartphone can be anywhere in the room and still receive charging signals from it. A few companies like OSSIO are already working on a true wireless charging product.

They claim that their products can charge devices within a short range, just like how WIFI works. This sounds cool but none of these companies has released such charger yet. Its just talk and no action but we hope technology advance fast enough so we can get it.

So that’s it until the technology can improve to the extent where wireless chargers can work wirelessly like WIFI and charge smartphones from a safe distance, it remains a USELESS FEATURE IN ANY SMARTPHONE.[/b ]

[b]SOURCE:https://techcapon.com/wireless-charging-a-useless-feature-in-the-smartphone-industry/

mynd44
dominique
Wireless charging has a future. It's not just ready yet at this time.
Re: Wireless Charging: A Useless Feature In The Smartphone Industry by TechCapon(m): 4:10pm On Apr 20, 2019
pansophist:
The fierce competition between technological companies are making them chun out unripe products, in a bid to be the first and monopolize the industry.

The number one thing wireless charging got wrong is not understanding what the customer want. Just like apple wireless earphones, wireless charger must be exactly that, only then it can be a hit. With traditional chargers, one can use the phone while charging, a convenience that is eliminated with wireless charging. If I cant be able to use my phone while charging, wireless or not, it serve no use and eliminate nothing. Not surprised the market ain't impressed.
gbam. U hit the nail on the head
Re: Wireless Charging: A Useless Feature In The Smartphone Industry by wink2015(m): 4:10pm On Apr 20, 2019
TechCapon:
TechCapon

EVERYTHING WRONG WITH WIRELESS CHARGERS AND WHY THE TECHNOLOGY HAS FAILED TO IMPRESS USERS.

The idea of wireless chargers sound great right? The idea of charging smartphones wirelessly without having to carry wires around. Actually there are smartphones with these capabilities, in fact, there’s hardly any new high-end smartphone that doesn’t come with this functionality. The problem is, no one seems to be using it. So the big question is, why hasn’t it taken off?

Wireless charging is not exactly a new concept and has been around for many years now but while smartphones are evolving and becoming better every year, the wireless chargers have failed woefully to enjoy the same attention both from the phone makers and the users.

Recently Smartphone giant Apple admitted defeat when it cancelled a product they’ve been working on since 2017. The product is called “Air Power” and what it does is simple, just a wireless charging pad that is very flat and can charge all Apple devices wirelessly at the same time. That is, if the product had succeeded, Apple users would have been able to use it to charge their iPhone, Air Pods and Apple Watch all at the same time. Rather, the project failed and was cancelled completely because Apple engineers just couldn’t get it right!

We’ve seen a lot of folks who use expensive smartphones with wireless charging capabilities but rather prefer to use the good old plug-in chargers. In this post, TechCapon will take out time to explain why this product is such a big failure and why it is not impressing anyone even though the concept is great.

NUMBER ONE: YOU NEED A SMARTPHONE CASE THAT IS CAPABLE OF SUPPORTING WIRELESS CHARGING.

One of the ways to charge your phone wirelessly is by using a smartphone case charger and only a few people actually have it. Apple released its own wireless charging case late last year and users complained it doesn’t charge their batteries full before running out. Also, not every smartphone maker has such a product. I haven’t heard of Sony, LG and other high-end companies producing such for their buyers. So it’s not only expensive, but it’s also difficult to find in the market.

Nice share
Re: Wireless Charging: A Useless Feature In The Smartphone Industry by wink2015(m): 4:11pm On Apr 20, 2019
TechCapon:

TechCapon

NUMBER TWO: WIRELESS CHARGERS ARE SLOWER THAN WIRED CHARGERS.

The weird thing about charging is that it uses something called electromagnetic induction. What that means is to transfer energy from one place (e.g wireless charge) to another (e.g smartphone). This concept uses two physical coils, the induction coil in the charger and the receiver coil in the phone. If the phone is placed on the charger but the two coils are not well aligned with each other the phone will not charge correctly.

This method of charging is much slower than plugging your phone using a wired charger which lets the power flow directly from the socket, through the wire and into the phone. Most wired chargers have a rating of 12W while most wireless chargers have a rating of between 7.5W to 10W. If you use a case or smartphone cover, the wireless charger may not even work at all until you remove the cover.

Some of may be wondering, what about wireless chargers with fast charge capabilities. Yeah, there are such wireless chargers no doubt but the thing is it only works with a phone from the same manufacturer. That means a Samsung wireless charger with fast charge will not work well with LG smartphone and vice versa. So if you don’t need a fast charger or you’re only charging your phone at night while you sleep, then a wireless charge might be okay for you.

NUMBER 3: YOU CAN’T USE YOUR PHONE CONVENIENTLY WHILE YOU’RE CHARGING IT WITH WIRELESS CHARGERS

Since a wireless charger requires you to place your phone on it for it to work, how are you going to use it while charging? The only way to use it is to remove it from the charger but it’s not that way with a wired charger. With a normal charger, you can answer a phone call, play games, use Instagram and so on while the phone is charging.

NUMBER 4: WIRELESS CHARGERS ARE NOT WIRELESS grin

wireless charging ?

Yeah, it sounds funny but it’s true. Wireless chargers are not wireless because the also have wires of their own which you still have to plug into the sockets for them to work. The only thing wireless about it is eliminating the wire between your phone and the charger. So if you still need to plug it in every time you use it, why call it a wireless charger?

NUMBER 5: WIRELESS CHARGERS ARE SO EXPENSIVE

wireless charging

Despite the fact that these wireless chargers are not as effective as the normal chargers, they’re still very expensive. The low budget ones cost between $15 to $30 while the fancy ones cost between $60 to $100

Notwithstanding, despite all these disadvantages, that doesn’t stop the smartphone companies from producing smartphones with wireless charging capabilities. If wireless chargers are to impress users, the companies will have to figure out a way to make these chargers work wireless just like Wi-Fi. Yes, so that if the charger is plugged in, the smartphone can be anywhere in the room and still receive charging signals from it. A few companies like OSSIO are already working on a true wireless charging product.

They claim that their products can charge devices within a short range, just like how WIFI works. This sounds cool but none of these companies has released such charger yet. Its just talk and no action but we hope technology advance fast enough so we can get it.

So that’s it until the technology can improve to the extent where wireless chargers can work wirelessly like WIFI and charge smartphones from a safe distance, it remains a USELESS FEATURE IN ANY SMARTPHONE.

SOURCE:https://techcapon.com/wireless-charging-a-useless-feature-in-the-smartphone-industry/

mynd44
dominique

Nice share
Re: Wireless Charging: A Useless Feature In The Smartphone Industry by Nobody: 4:11pm On Apr 20, 2019
AkpaMgbor:

I am sure WITHOUT a doubt that you've not had an iPhone with faceid before...my phone unlocks without me even noticing it, it's as if there was never a security measure on it..10 seconds?? Wtf grin

You dont need to notice anything but does that change the fact that it takes a longer period to get your phone ready compared to Android phone? Does that change the fact that you will need to swipe up after unlocking your iPhone ?
Re: Wireless Charging: A Useless Feature In The Smartphone Industry by AkpaMgbor(m): 4:13pm On Apr 20, 2019
PhenomenalMorgan:

But at least you won't have to be tilting aligning the phone awkwardly to your face...
Have you actually had a real life in depth experience with an iPhone with a faceid?? Not some 'YouTube experience'..my phone unlocks even before it comes into full view of my face. Are you mistaking infinix 2d faceid with apple's?
Re: Wireless Charging: A Useless Feature In The Smartphone Industry by PhenomenalMorgan(m): 4:13pm On Apr 20, 2019
Dudeweedlmao:
This is actually written by someone who's race never accomplished anything in science? Haahahaha
He is constructively critical of the usefulness of the tech, nothing wrong with that...
It makes those who build such tech put more effort and do better!!

1 Like

Re: Wireless Charging: A Useless Feature In The Smartphone Industry by Sterope(f): 4:16pm On Apr 20, 2019
That is PR talk
AkpaMgbor:

Apple wasn't struggling to make a wireless charger for their devices..they wanted to create a wireless charger that can charge 3 devices at the same time while generating the same same watts across the entire charging platform...they had to postpone the product because according to them "they were still trying to find a way to make it more power efficient"...
Re: Wireless Charging: A Useless Feature In The Smartphone Industry by AkpaMgbor(m): 4:17pm On Apr 20, 2019
ollah1:

You dont need to notice anything but does that change the fact that it takes a longer period to get your phone ready compared to Android phone? Does that change the fact that you will need to swipe up after unlocking your iPhone ?
I think as someone who has USED both features extensively, I am in a better position to say which one is more convinient..my phone is already unlocked before any gesture.
Re: Wireless Charging: A Useless Feature In The Smartphone Industry by PhenomenalMorgan(m): 4:18pm On Apr 20, 2019
TechCapon:
they didn't postpone it they canceled it
Lewis from Unbox Therapy uploaded a video sboab an alternative to Apple's Airpower, this means that other companies could come up with it gringringrin ...
Thank God They cancelled it, at least we wouldn't be hearing things like explosions like the galaxy note 7...
Re: Wireless Charging: A Useless Feature In The Smartphone Industry by Nobody: 4:18pm On Apr 20, 2019
AkpaMgbor:

I think as someone who has USED both features extensively, I am in a better position to say which one is more convinient..my phone is already unlocked before any gesture.

You live in my house so you can boldly say this grin
Re: Wireless Charging: A Useless Feature In The Smartphone Industry by PhenomenalMorgan(m): 4:19pm On Apr 20, 2019
AkpaMgbor:

Have you actually had a real life in depth experience with an iPhone with a faceid?? Not some 'YouTube experience'..my phone unlocks even before it comes into full view of my face. Are you mistaking infinix 2d faceid with apple's?
Go and see how fast the Face ID of OnePlus 6 and 6t is...
Then Compare it to your beloved iPhone X...

1 Like

Re: Wireless Charging: A Useless Feature In The Smartphone Industry by TechCapon(m): 4:25pm On Apr 20, 2019
wink2015:

Nice share
thanks
Re: Wireless Charging: A Useless Feature In The Smartphone Industry by TechCapon(m): 4:26pm On Apr 20, 2019
PhenomenalMorgan:

Lewis from Unbox Therapy uploaded a video sboab an alternative to Apple's Airpower, this means that other companies could come up with it gringringrin ...
Thank God They cancelled it, at least we wouldn't be hearing things like explosions like the galaxy note 7...
lol
Re: Wireless Charging: A Useless Feature In The Smartphone Industry by blackslayer: 4:29pm On Apr 20, 2019
stupidity:
I just realized by the year 2050 I will be a grand father. cry

And I’m not happy about it. I want to restart

THE WORLD WILL END IN 2060 ACCORDING TO NEWTON'S CALCULATION FROM HIS SECRET WORK DECIPHERING PATTERNS AND SECRETS FROM THE BIBLE!
Re: Wireless Charging: A Useless Feature In The Smartphone Industry by AkpaMgbor(m): 4:30pm On Apr 20, 2019
PhenomenalMorgan:

Go and see how fast the Face ID of OnePlus 6 and 6t is...
Then Compare it to your beloved iPhone X...
So now you know that faceid can be pretty fast? I've not seen nor used a one plus 6 to know..I use a XS which is faster than the X..and the X is no slouch either...when apple does anything, they do it right..
Re: Wireless Charging: A Useless Feature In The Smartphone Industry by AkpaMgbor(m): 4:31pm On Apr 20, 2019
PhenomenalMorgan:

That is the difference between apple and others..quality over quantity..Sammy would have pushed it to the market just to answer the first company to do it..
Re: Wireless Charging: A Useless Feature In The Smartphone Industry by Nobody: 4:33pm On Apr 20, 2019
AkpaMgbor:

So now you know that faceid can be pretty fast? I've not seen nor used a one plus 6 to know..I use a XS which is faster than the X..and the X is no slouch either...when apple does anything, they do it right..

Yh like siri, homepod etc

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Wireless Charging: A Useless Feature In The Smartphone Industry by Nobody: 4:35pm On Apr 20, 2019
AkpaMgbor:

That is the difference between apple and others..quality over quantity..Sammy would have pushed it to the market just to answer the first company to do it..

No, apple waits till components are very cheap before they switch to it while Samsung risks it all and a true innovator is the risk taker.

2 Likes

Re: Wireless Charging: A Useless Feature In The Smartphone Industry by AkpaMgbor(m): 4:37pm On Apr 20, 2019
ollah1:

Yh like siri, homepod etc
Yes like siri and homepod and iPad and airpods and the highest selling smartwatch the iwatch..
Re: Wireless Charging: A Useless Feature In The Smartphone Industry by Nobody: 4:38pm On Apr 20, 2019
AkpaMgbor:

Yes like siri and homepod and iPad and airpods and the highest selling smartwatch the iwatch..

iWatch?? Apple fans dont know anything even about Apple and its products, devices and features.
Re: Wireless Charging: A Useless Feature In The Smartphone Industry by AkpaMgbor(m): 4:39pm On Apr 20, 2019
ollah1:

No, apple waits till components are very cheap before they switch to it while Samsung risks it all and a true innovator is the risk taker.
Lol now you're arguing like a tech novice..cheap? Apple is anything but cheap and all and sundry knows that..you call a trillion dollar company cheap? Year Sammy are risk takers..they risk the lives and properties of consumers with highly explosive gadgets grin
Re: Wireless Charging: A Useless Feature In The Smartphone Industry by Nobody: 4:41pm On Apr 20, 2019
AkpaMgbor:

Lol now you're arguing like a tech novice..cheap? Apple is anything but cheap and all and sundry knows that..you call a trillion dollar company cheap? Year Sammy are risk takers..they risk the lives and properties of consumers with highly explosive gadgets grin

Apple isnt a trillion dollar company and comprehension must be your problem. Speaking of explosive gadgets, Apple isnt only on this table but also ensured that they their products have killed people and brought down a flight.

Lastly, we aren't having arguments. I'm very much schooling you
Re: Wireless Charging: A Useless Feature In The Smartphone Industry by AkpaMgbor(m): 4:44pm On Apr 20, 2019
ollah1:

Apple isnt a trillion dollar company and comprehension must be your problem. Speaking of explosive gadgets, Apple isnt only on this table but also ensured that they their products have killed people and brought down a flight.

Lastly, we aren't having arguments. I'm very much schooling you
They were once..and recent projections shows that they will reclaim that title in the nearest future....when it comes to quality and efficiency, Apple leads and the rest follows..how many Sammy units were recalled again? Something in their hundreds of thousands iirc...
Re: Wireless Charging: A Useless Feature In The Smartphone Industry by Nobody: 4:45pm On Apr 20, 2019
AkpaMgbor:

They were once..and recent projections shows that they will reclaim that title in the nearest future....when it comes to quality and efficiency, Apple leads and the rest follows..how many Sammy units were recalled again? Something in their hundreds of thousands iirc...

Lol, it's now once and not presently anymore like you initially said. You know nothing man. You know absolutely nothing.
Re: Wireless Charging: A Useless Feature In The Smartphone Industry by PhenomenalMorgan(m): 4:50pm On Apr 20, 2019
AkpaMgbor:

Apple is no longer the No 2 Phonemaker by sales, guess what, Huawei has taken over...
Why I like this is that more people are realiziing how much they are being scammed, lol, for $750 iPhone XR, they give you an LCD screen that has the same pixels per inch as a 5 years ago iPhone 5 ?
That's not even up to 1080p
While OnePlus and Xiaomi gives you a high Res Amoled screen for $500
Who does that

1 Like

Re: Wireless Charging: A Useless Feature In The Smartphone Industry by PhenomenalMorgan(m): 4:58pm On Apr 20, 2019
ollah1:

Lol, it's now once and not presently anymore like you initially said. You know nothing man. You know absolutely nothing.
You sef ehnn, you can school iPhone fanboys for Africa gringrin
Lol, at least other people's eyes are opening...
For a $750 iPhone XR you get an LCD screen that has the same pixels per inch as iPhone 5 of 5 years ago...
While I can get a high Res Amoled screen from OnePlus or Xiaomi
At least people's eyes are opening...

1 Like

Re: Wireless Charging: A Useless Feature In The Smartphone Industry by PhenomenalMorgan(m): 4:59pm On Apr 20, 2019
ollah1:

Re: Wireless Charging: A Useless Feature In The Smartphone Industry by samsam2019: 4:59pm On Apr 20, 2019
stupidity:
what are you zooming with 50x camera lens? You want to zoom in your future ni? All these innovations to me are bullshits. Left to me, 2018 phones can serve well till 2020 - 2025. I don’t see the needs introducing new phones with unneeded hardware.

By the way, if you have used iPhones Face ID, believe me, you will not bother use fingerprint scanner again, be it indisplay or whatever
face I'd better than fingerprint? Don't live by your username Mr man

1 Like

Re: Wireless Charging: A Useless Feature In The Smartphone Industry by Nobody: 5:01pm On Apr 20, 2019
PhenomenalMorgan:

You sef ehnn, you can school iPhone fanboys for Africa gringrin
Lol, at least other people's eyes are opening...
For a $750 iPhone XR you get an LCD screen that has the same pixels per inch as iPhone 5 of 5 years ago...
While I can get a high Res Amoled screen from OnePlus or Xiaomi
At least people's eyes are opening...

It's good to school them once in a while like this. Most know absolutely nothing

1 Like

Re: Wireless Charging: A Useless Feature In The Smartphone Industry by naijajobx: 5:22pm On Apr 20, 2019
True

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

MTN Confirms Network Glitch / Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience / How Much Did You Buy Your First Sim Card.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.