Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,479 members, 7,808,748 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:13 PM

Bishop Oyedepo: "African Leaders Are Intellectually Bankrupt" - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Bishop Oyedepo: "African Leaders Are Intellectually Bankrupt" (20282 Views)

Bishop Oyedepo Say "African Leaders Are Intellectually Bankrupt” / Christ Embassy Branch In United Kingdom Declared Bankrupt / Bishop Oyedepo Dedicates Winners' Chapel VGC, Lagos, Built By A Single Member (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bishop Oyedepo: "African Leaders Are Intellectually Bankrupt" by HigherEd: 4:05pm On Apr 20, 2019
Founder, Living Faith Church Worldwide, Bishop David Oyedepo, has berated African leaders, saying that they lack character, capacity and courage, three virtues he said they must have to move the black continent out of the woods.

Oyedepo, who delivered a keynote address during Covenant University’s 20th inaugural lecture at the university premises on Thursday, also noted that unlike their western counterparts, African leaders do not build institutions that would outlive them.

The lecture delivered by Jonathan Aremu, a professor of International Economics Relations at CU, was themed: ‘Sequencing and negotiating Nigeria’s regional and international trade agreements.’

The fiery cleric was making allusion to Aremu’s lecture where he (Aremu) bemoaned Nigeria’s indifference and lack of will power in drafting effective trade policies and negotiations with bodies such as the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS), African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA), Environmental Protection Agency (EFA) and African Growth and Opportunity Act (AGOA), among others.

The development, Aremu argued, has left the nation unable to articulate her interest among the aforementioned bodies.

Oyedepo, however, blamed the situation on Nigerian government’s lack of foresight and its inability to identify opportunities that would benefit the led.

He said: “It is unfortunate that many of our leaders are intellectually bankrupt.

“When confronted with some of these beautiful initiatives, it is very shameful that they often don’t know the meaning. And if they don’t know the meaning, how will they go about implementation?”

“I have often said it that our leaders lack three Cs-capacity, courage and character.

“Where is the capacity when you are bereft of intellect required of a leader? Where is the courage when you don’t have the political will to follow through with policies that will improve governance? And where is the character when all they are thinking is how to win election as many times as possible while ignoring developmental initiatives?”

Oyedepo said the leadership should take a cue from an institution like Harvard University which has outlived the founder for centuries.

If Harvard were to be in Nigeria, it would have been in ruins in less than two decades, the cleric noted.

Nonetheless, Oyedepo said not only leaders are culpable, noting that the led are as much guilty for looking the other way for too long.

This, according to him, is the reason the Covenant University platform was conceived to point out the ills in governance while also recommending solutions to them.

Earlier in his lecture, Aremu lamented that Nigeria has not been forthcoming with effective trade policies and negotiations.

He said: “Trade negotiations remain one of the most complex, challenging, and sometimes controversial issues in contemporary trade policy.

“This is more serious for Nigeria which has no current trade policy. The administrative burden of handling and negotiating trade policy is a serious concern.

“Even as at now, the country still faces technical constraints on the negotiations of multiple agreements that will serve her trade interest.

“Confronted with generally weak negotiating, regulatory and implementation capacities, the country is handicapped in her ability to engage meaningfully in all these negotiations.”

https://thenationonlineng.net/oyedepo-berates-african-leaders-says-they-lack-courage-character/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

53 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Bishop Oyedepo: "African Leaders Are Intellectually Bankrupt" by RoyalUc(m): 4:07pm On Apr 20, 2019
Well...

The average African and indeed, Nigerian is not capable of critical thinking. Just ruled by emotions and sentiments.

And like someone said down there; our leaders are just a sample of who we are...

8 Likes

Re: Bishop Oyedepo: "African Leaders Are Intellectually Bankrupt" by softwerk(f): 4:08pm On Apr 20, 2019
grin

Just mention names

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Bishop Oyedepo: "African Leaders Are Intellectually Bankrupt" by sarrki(m): 4:08pm On Apr 20, 2019
Sire with due respect

You are part of them sir

75 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Bishop Oyedepo: "African Leaders Are Intellectually Bankrupt" by HigherEd: 4:11pm On Apr 20, 2019
sarrki:
Sire with due respect

You are part of them sir
I'm sure he meant African political leaders.

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Bishop Oyedepo: "African Leaders Are Intellectually Bankrupt" by phelonrays: 4:13pm On Apr 20, 2019
In our clime it's INTEGRITY.....
just deceive them with fake integrity you are as good as ya ass...

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bishop Oyedepo: "African Leaders Are Intellectually Bankrupt" by JoshuaGabriel: 4:14pm On Apr 20, 2019
Most of those who accused and condemned the last administration for defrauding the country using fuel subsidies or pilling up debt for future generations, are now having hearing impairment, speech impairment or data impairment.

Shehu Sani

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bishop Oyedepo: "African Leaders Are Intellectually Bankrupt" by iTearHerToto: 4:18pm On Apr 20, 2019
I hate Italian league

So boring to watch and always cuts ticket

Pukes angry

13 Likes

Re: Bishop Oyedepo: "African Leaders Are Intellectually Bankrupt" by Nobody: 4:20pm On Apr 20, 2019
True! How forcible are right words.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bishop Oyedepo: "African Leaders Are Intellectually Bankrupt" by sarrki(m): 4:22pm On Apr 20, 2019
HigherEd:

I'm sure he meant African political leaders.

He’s also a political leader

He supported and campaigned for atiku

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Bishop Oyedepo: "African Leaders Are Intellectually Bankrupt" by mrvitalis(m): 4:23pm On Apr 20, 2019
For once me and this man agree on the same thing

Not just the leaders most africans are not smart at all that's why they vote the kind of leaders we have in africa

A smart person cant win election in nigeria

How do u explain to a nigerian u need to pay more for light before u can pay less

How do u explain rice most be expensive for it to be cheap

How do u tell a mallam if they have few kids he would be richer

How do u explain to someone its better to buy a nigerian made goods for 20000 than buy an imported one for 10000

I have given up ...bihari is dumb , jonathan is dumb , smart morgarlu couldn't win ...even dumb sowore got more votes than him ....

Honestly i give up

87 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Bishop Oyedepo: "African Leaders Are Intellectually Bankrupt" by mabea: 4:23pm On Apr 20, 2019
Truth cannot be put any better

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bishop Oyedepo: "African Leaders Are Intellectually Bankrupt" by Nobody: 4:25pm On Apr 20, 2019
I doubt Buhari knows the full meaning of ECOWAS..
He cannot even recite states and capital.

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Bishop Oyedepo: "African Leaders Are Intellectually Bankrupt" by mabea: 4:25pm On Apr 20, 2019
iTearHerToto:
I hate Italian league
Pukes angry
A typical example of the led mentioned above

12 Likes

Re: Bishop Oyedepo: "African Leaders Are Intellectually Bankrupt" by SarkinYarki: 4:29pm On Apr 20, 2019
especially that man called Buhari

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bishop Oyedepo: "African Leaders Are Intellectually Bankrupt" by mabea: 4:31pm On Apr 20, 2019
mrvitalis:
For once me and this man agree on the same thing

Not just the leaders most africans are not smart at all that's why they vote the kind of leaders we have in africa

A smart person cant win election in nigeria

How do u explain to a nigerian u need to pay more for light before u can pay less

How do u explain rice most be expensive for it to be cheap

How do u tell a mallam if they have few kids he would be richer

How do u explain to someone its better to buy a nigerian made goods for 20000 than buy an imported one for 10000

I have given up ...bihari is dumb , jonathan is dumb , smart morgarlu couldn't win ...even dumb sowore got more votes than him ....

Honestly i give up
Should i say this is a reformed mrvitalis

1 Like

Re: Bishop Oyedepo: "African Leaders Are Intellectually Bankrupt" by softwerk(f): 4:31pm On Apr 20, 2019
iTearHerToto:
I hate Italian league

Pukes angry

grin grin grin

Lazio vs Chievo right?!

2 Likes

Re: Bishop Oyedepo: "African Leaders Are Intellectually Bankrupt" by DeZoro(m): 4:42pm On Apr 20, 2019
I am currently in a city with 137km from Munich, the place is still far better to leave than Abuja. Our leaders are mentally Bankrupt

8 Likes

Re: Bishop Oyedepo: "African Leaders Are Intellectually Bankrupt" by jchioma: 4:53pm On Apr 20, 2019
softwerk:
grin

Just mention names

The Bishop and every sensible person knows who is being referred to here:

Can you imagine President Buhari condoling with France over the #NotreDameFire?

Nobody died in that fire, but close to a hundred Nigerians have died in Southern Kaduna at the hands of herdsmen this month alone.

Where was Buhari's condolence then? Nonexistent!

Last week, Imo Airport, was on fire. Buhari DID NOT condole with Imo, or even acknowledge the fire.

Imo airport is a MAJOR national asset.

But the same Buhari falls over himself to condole France over #NotreDameFire.

#InferiorityComplexPresident, stop disgracing Nigeria!

66 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Bishop Oyedepo: "African Leaders Are Intellectually Bankrupt" by id911(m): 5:11pm On Apr 20, 2019
softwerk:
grin

Just mention names

Name not names! The title of the thread is also wrong when they wrote 'African Leaders' instead of a particular country leader..if you know, you know!

2 Likes

Re: Bishop Oyedepo: "African Leaders Are Intellectually Bankrupt" by Amuocha: 5:19pm On Apr 20, 2019
Buhari sef

2 Likes

Re: Bishop Oyedepo: "African Leaders Are Intellectually Bankrupt" by mrvitalis(m): 5:20pm On Apr 20, 2019
mabea:
Should i say this is a reformed mrvitalis
This has always been me
Re: Bishop Oyedepo: "African Leaders Are Intellectually Bankrupt" by mabea: 5:25pm On Apr 20, 2019
mrvitalis:

This has always been me
Maybe but you were one of the vocal voices here that foisted Buhari on us in 2015.

1 Like

Re: Bishop Oyedepo: "African Leaders Are Intellectually Bankrupt" by mrvitalis(m): 5:28pm On Apr 20, 2019
mabea:
Maybe but you were one of the vocal voices here that foisted Buhari on us in 2015.
Sure ....we needed a change ...buhari is too dumb to take us far.....but he is sincere

Jonathan was both dumb and unsincere

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Bishop Oyedepo: "African Leaders Are Intellectually Bankrupt" by HigherEd: 5:39pm On Apr 20, 2019
sarrki:

He’s also a political leader

He supported and campaigned for atiku

So supporting a candidate means that a person is a political leader?
Which Kain talk be this. And you know, he never mentioned Buhari. So stop feeling unnecessarily guilty.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bishop Oyedepo: "African Leaders Are Intellectually Bankrupt" by mabea: 5:41pm On Apr 20, 2019
mrvitalis:

Sure ....we needed a change ...buhari is too dumb to take us far.....but he is sincere

Jonathan was both dumb and unsincere
Look there is almost no leader without good intentions or sincerity...the problem with Jonathan is that he lacked political will due to the nigerian system but Buhari is a bigot who doesnt possess a large heart to lead a complex nation like Nigeria

5 Likes

Re: Bishop Oyedepo: "African Leaders Are Intellectually Bankrupt" by RoyalUc(m): 5:54pm On Apr 20, 2019
jchioma:

The Bishop and every sensible person knows who is being referred to here:

Can you imagine President Buhari condoling with France over the #NotreDameFire?

Nobody died in that fire, but close to a hundred Nigerians have died in Southern Kaduna at the hands of herdsmen this month alone.

Where was Buhari's condolence then? Nonexistent!

Last week, Imo Airport, was on fire. Buhari DID NOT condole with Imo, or even acknowledge the fire.

Imo airport is a MAJOR national asset.

But the same Buhari falls over himself to condole France over #NotreDameFire.

#InferiorityComplexPresident, stop disgracing Nigeria!

Can I ask you just one question?

Why do you hate Buhari so much?

3 Likes

Re: Bishop Oyedepo: "African Leaders Are Intellectually Bankrupt" by mrvitalis(m): 5:58pm On Apr 20, 2019
mabea:
Look there is almost no leader without good intentions or sincerity...the problem with Jonathan is that he lacked political will due to the nigerian system but Buhari is a bigot who doesnt possess a large heart to lead a complex nation like Nigeria

For u to present urself for leadership ....u should know the problem and know u have the solutions to it

If u dont have the solutions to problems ...u have no reason to running for office

3 Likes

Re: Bishop Oyedepo: "African Leaders Are Intellectually Bankrupt" by mabea: 6:05pm On Apr 20, 2019
mrvitalis:

For u to present urself for leadership ....u should know the problem and know u have the solutions to it

If u dont have the solutions to problems ...u have no reason to running for office
So true but do you think both did not believe they have solution to nigerian problem? This is why i said almost every leader is sincere.

1 Like

Re: Bishop Oyedepo: "African Leaders Are Intellectually Bankrupt" by jchioma: 6:12pm On Apr 20, 2019
RoyalUc:

Can I ask you just one question?

Why do you hate Buhari so much?

I don't HATE Buhari for one bit, in fact, fewer people supported him more than I did in 2014, but with time, empathy became sympathy. The old man has lost it and needs to go home and rest before he is fully demystified.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bishop Oyedepo: "African Leaders Are Intellectually Bankrupt" by mrvitalis(m): 6:16pm On Apr 20, 2019
mabea:
So true but do you think both did not believe they have solution to nigerian problem? This is why i said almost every leader is sincere.
Both dont even know the problem like most nigerians

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Buhari Plans To Install Northerner As C.A.N Leader, Group Alleges / Ramadan: Christian Lady Shares Food To Muslims In Lagos (Photos) / Gospel Singer Asks Jesus To Impregnate Him (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.