Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,419 members, 7,808,501 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:45 PM

Man Get Muscle But Woman Get Power (short Story) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Man Get Muscle But Woman Get Power (short Story) (558 Views)

Behind The Mask - A Short Story / Don't Laugh Me, Love Me ( A Short Story) / The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Man Get Muscle But Woman Get Power (short Story) by kunlesehan(m): 5:13pm On Apr 20, 2019
My friend is a brute.

His wife knows how best to handle him.

Their marriage was dysfunctional.

A living hell.

Then they separated.

She kept custody of their seven year old son.

He made everything difficult for her.

A stumbling block.

Since she needed him to co-sign all things that required parental consent.

He will not give her a dime for their son's upkeep.

But will demand equal say.

And for every yes she said concerning their son

He was ready with a no.

And vice versa.

He was possessed by a contrarian spirit.

Frustrated.

She decided to emigrate.

To another country.

Secretly.

Lest he throws a spanner in the wheel.

It took nearly 17 months for it to go through.

When she landed with her son.

And settled in.

A friend of hers in the country told a friend of hers in Nigeria.

Who told a friend of hers.

A male.

Who told her husband.

He was shocked.

Enraged.

It took him days to get her number.

When he did.

He called her raging.

"How dare you?!"

She was calm.

"Please don't bring your negative spirit to me this morning."

"Me, negative spirit?"

"Can you please forget about us."

"Forget about my son?"

"Move on with your life."

"I will make sure that the arrest you for child kidnapping."

"Kidnapping?"

"Yes. You emigrated to a foreign country without my approval. You took my son out of Nigeria without my signed consent."

"How can a dead man sign a letter of consent?"

"Who is a dead man?"

"You."

"Me?"

"Yes. Your death certificate, autopsy report, funeral poster and programme and pictures of your grave were submitted with our application."

"What?"

"You are dead for all legal purposes as far as it concerns me and my son."

"You must be mad!"

"Thank you."

"E be like say sontin dey worry you. See dis useless woman o. You carry my pikin run kon dey call me dead bodi on top. If no go police and embassy report you say you do forgery carry my pikin call me bastard!"

"You can do nothing."

"Me? Make day break first. You go see sontin."

"I have left standing orders. You make any careless moves. You die. On this earth, you will be the first person to have two graves."

"You dey threaten me?"

"I am making a statement of fact. You are alive because I decided to spare your life. But it will be wise that you know that I can change my mind at anytime if you give me the reason to."

"I dey record this call as we dey so. Your own don finish. First tin dis morning Police and Embassy don get am. Dem go hear your own voice..."

"Not possible. My phone has an antirecord software. Hang up and check if your phone recorded this conversation. And once you do, write your will. You will not see daybreak. Good night."

"Wait, wait. Please wait."

"What for?"

"I am sorry for how things have turned out between us. I am not asking for us to get back together again. But isn't there a way that I can..."

Source: Mr. Jude Idada

1 Like

Re: Man Get Muscle But Woman Get Power (short Story) by Ann2012(f): 6:15am On Apr 21, 2019
cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Famous Kenyan Writer And Gay Rights Activist, Binyavanga Wainaina Dies At 48 / MY REAL MONSTER (heart Touching And Interesting Story) / N/A

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.