Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,964 members, 7,806,791 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:16 AM

“95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov (16011 Views)

We Can’t Afford To Pay N30,00 Minimum Wage, Govs Tell NLC / New Minimum Wage: Why States Cannot Pay N30,000 – Gov Umahi / FG Agrees To Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage As NLC Suspends Nationwide Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov by pawesome(m): 8:43am On Apr 21, 2019
Say you can not pay.. Speak for yourself please
Re: “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov by NinjaMetahuman: 8:44am On Apr 21, 2019
Riversides2003:
This is a scam, you should have said this before elections.
he did say so.

but people over there prefer pdp tongue
Re: “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov by leriment: 8:45am On Apr 21, 2019
Thank you sir.. that is not a news, just as we know that ur same 95% of states can only pay for 5billion naira minimum wages only for governors and useless lawmakers.. I spit on Nigeria politicians

1 Like

Re: “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov by seunayantokun(m): 8:45am On Apr 21, 2019
This Ebonyi governor is a terribly wicked rogue. There is money for the comfort you and your cohort enjoy but there is no money to pay just 30k? Please please please quit the government house. Bunch of criminals.

Nigerians it's time to rise and show criminals we are not fools.

2 Likes

Re: “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov by NinjaMetahuman: 8:45am On Apr 21, 2019
ogbonti:
Nigerians and percentage grin
95% of 36 states is 34.2 States

Hahahaha, so, what makes up 1.8% of a state which is unaccounted for?

Not until this reckless use of percentage put someone in prison, una no go stop using unverified stats... percent this, percent that.... this nonsense is now part of our culture, every idiot calls out percent just to sound intelligent. Nonsense!
abuja is .8 since they dont have governor and lagos is 1.2 grin

1 Like

Re: “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov by Nuradishola(m): 8:45am On Apr 21, 2019
Ibrahim9090:
Noted
abi now
Re: “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov by jonnyjustcome22: 8:46am On Apr 21, 2019
Some governor are useless. If u can't pay resign and stop given excuses . Reduce your excessive spending, spend your security vote wisely, leader with no vision and focus. The 30,000 minimum wage is not enough to feed one person in Nigeria economy not to talk of a whole family of 5 or 6.

2 Likes

Re: “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov by Nuradishola(m): 8:52am On Apr 21, 2019
NinjaMetahuman:
NinjaMetahuman:
Osagyefo98:
Governor David Umahi of Ebonyi State on Wednesday in Abakaliki, the state capital, declared that 95 per cent of states in the country cannot pay the proposed N30, 000 minimum wage to workers.

Mr Umahi, who is the Chairman of the South East Governors Forum, said this while inaugurating a 36-member fact-finding committee to ascertain the mode of workers’ promotion arrears payment in states across the six geo-political zones of the states.

According to Mr Umahi, the payment of the N30, 000 can only be realised if the federation account allocation formula is reviewed to offer more earnings to states.

“The federal government collects 52 per cent of the revenue from the federation account and when I tried to put the N30,000 figure to Local Government Areas (LGA) it means they will borrow N1billion to add to their allocation, in paying salaries.

“I will definitely not be a governor to govern such a state and will never preside over a state that will allocate 100 per cent of its earnings to pay salaries,” he said.

The governor recommended that the issue of petroleum subsidy in the country should also be reviewed as had been noted by the state and federal governments.

“We must presently have the courage to say this because a lot of money can be saved from the subsidy if properly distributed.

“When 100, 000 litres of petrol is allocated to me for instance and deducted from my allocation, it is then my business to ensure that there is no leakage.

“There is no governor or political office holder that signs cheques but civil servants as the country’s leaders and labour are just putting water inside a basket and praying God to hold it with this minimum wage issue,” he said.

He urged the country’s leaders and labour to liaise and decide on the percentage of the federation account that should be voted for salaries and other sectors.

“We should determine how much should be allocated to education, health, infrastructure among others if 100 per cent of earnings are used to pay workers salaries.

“Many states are experiencing various problems and cannot pay salaries but the people condemn their governments over their inability to provide good roads and other amenities.

“People don’t understand the problems being experienced by these states and the governors have kept quiet for long and need to speak presently,” he said.

Mr Umahi regretted that the issue of promotion arrears for workers in the state had lingered for long and urged the committee to be sincere with their findings to find an amicable solution to it.

“We have been setting up committees on this issue and getting no results with people not being sincere and resorting to all sorts of things,” he said.

Hyginus Nwokwu, the Secretary to the State Government (SSG), noted that the issue made the governor to institute a 36-man member committee to tour states in the six geo political zones and ascertain the mode of payments.

“The members are drawn from critical elements of state with the organised labour having 12 nominees, Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) 12 nominees and the government-12 nominees.

“The committee will tour three states in each of these zones, ascertain relevant facts, analyse and present them to enable government take disposable and final actions on the matter,” he said.

Leonard Nkah, the Acting Chairman of the Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC), in the state and Chairman of the committee pledged to ensure the actualisation of the committee’s aims.

“We pledge to assiduously discharge our duties and make recommendations that will permanently solve the problem for a healthy government and labour relationship,” he said.

(NAN)

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/294656-95-per-cent-of-states-cant-pay-n30-000-minimum-wage-ebonyi-gov.html#

Mr man speak only for ur state may b FG can help...mine is that let the minimum wage be implemented ���
Nuradishola:
abi now
Osagyefo98:
Governor David Umahi of Ebonyi State on Wednesday in Abakaliki, the state capital, declared that 95 per cent of states in the country cannot pay the proposed N30, 000 minimum wage to workers.

Mr Umahi, who is the Chairman of the South East Governors Forum, said this while inaugurating a 36-member fact-finding committee to ascertain the mode of workers’ promotion arrears payment in states across the six geo-political zones of the states.

According to Mr Umahi, the payment of the N30, 000 can only be realised if the federation account allocation formula is reviewed to offer more earnings to states.

“The federal government collects 52 per cent of the revenue from the federation account and when I tried to put the N30,000 figure to Local Government Areas (LGA) it means they will borrow N1billion to add to their allocation, in paying salaries.

“I will definitely not be a governor to govern such a state and will never preside over a state that will allocate 100 per cent of its earnings to pay salaries,” he said.

The governor recommended that the issue of petroleum subsidy in the country should also be reviewed as had been noted by the state and federal governments.

“We must presently have the courage to say this because a lot of money can be saved from the subsidy if properly distributed.

“When 100, 000 litres of petrol is allocated to me for instance and deducted from my allocation, it is then my business to ensure that there is no leakage.

“There is no governor or political office holder that signs cheques but civil servants as the country’s leaders and labour are just putting water inside a basket and praying God to hold it with this minimum wage issue,” he said.

He urged the country’s leaders and labour to liaise and decide on the percentage of the federation account that should be voted for salaries and other sectors.

“We should determine how much should be allocated to education, health, infrastructure among others if 100 per cent of earnings are used to pay workers salaries.

“Many states are experiencing various problems and cannot pay salaries but the people condemn their governments over their inability to provide good roads and other amenities.

“People don’t understand the problems being experienced by these states and the governors have kept quiet for long and need to speak presently,” he said.

Mr Umahi regretted that the issue of promotion arrears for workers in the state had lingered for long and urged the committee to be sincere with their findings to find an amicable solution to it.

“We have been setting up committees on this issue and getting no results with people not being sincere and resorting to all sorts of things,” he said.

Hyginus Nwokwu, the Secretary to the State Government (SSG), noted that the issue made the governor to institute a 36-man member committee to tour states in the six geo political zones and ascertain the mode of payments.

“The members are drawn from critical elements of state with the organised labour having 12 nominees, Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) 12 nominees and the government-12 nominees.

“The committee will tour three states in each of these zones, ascertain relevant facts, analyse and present them to enable government take disposable and final actions on the matter,” he said.

Leonard Nkah, the Acting Chairman of the Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC), in the state and Chairman of the committee pledged to ensure the actualisation of the committee’s aims.

“We pledge to assiduously discharge our duties and make recommendations that will permanently solve the problem for a healthy government and labour relationship,” he said.

(NAN)

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/294656-95-per-cent-of-states-cant-pay-n30-000-minimum-wage-ebonyi-gov.html#

Mr man speak only for ur state may b FG can help...mine is that let the minimum wage be implemented ���
Re: “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov by shugabasbn: 8:55am On Apr 21, 2019
A state that couldn't pay 18k and u asked her to pay 30k, are we not deceiving ourselves
Re: “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov by GavelSlam: 8:59am On Apr 21, 2019
Say what ?

Shebi Buhari say una need consultation some people say na him be the problem.

2 Likes

Re: “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov by sapientia(m): 9:01am On Apr 21, 2019
Failed Country.

Umahi said the truth.

The solutions he proffered must not be used if they are not feasible, other solutions can be adopted.

The minimum wage should be pegged at equivalent of $100 (Am an Economic novice oooo).

This increment while a good news won't even alleviate workers' plight a bit.
Re: “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov by Nobody: 9:03am On Apr 21, 2019
Any governor who can't pay should resign.If they reduced all those unnecessary aides who does nothing and if they'll channel 90% of the money they spent on security vote to the right place they will pay.
Why can't he say this before the election.
Re: “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov by jericco1(m): 9:05am On Apr 21, 2019
mumu talk
Re: “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov by Math4naija: 9:05am On Apr 21, 2019
Oga! You are condemned to pay it. It has been signed into law!
Re: “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov by YoungAncient1: 9:07am On Apr 21, 2019
But they can afford to throw lavished parties, maintain their concubines, sponsor the expensive lifestyle of their children, make unnecessary donations, oil certain political wheels and stuff billions in private accounts right?

And a Governor that gave the opposition party 5million to print posters and also rented crowd for the President when he came to campaign is saying this?

2 Likes

Re: “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov by Full88: 9:16am On Apr 21, 2019
see below
Re: “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov by Brightest04(m): 9:17am On Apr 21, 2019
Is it by force to be governor? Any governor that feels he can't be able to pay the #30,000 which many believed that it's not even enough compared with the high cost of living today should honourably vacate the seat.
By the grace of God any governor that want to play game with it will surely face a big showdown.
When they collect their own mammoth allowances and mountainous salaries they never complaints by when it comes to what the people who voted them to power needs they they start crying Niobe.

3 Likes

Re: “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov by Emceesaka: 9:19am On Apr 21, 2019
My advice to the Federal Government is that the part section budget that is meant for State workers salary should not be giving to the state government directly rather the Federal Government should pay state workers salary directly to them and releaße the remaining balance of Federal allocation to the state government.

1 Like

Re: “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov by tuniski: 9:20am On Apr 21, 2019
Naijaguy123:
They can’t pay 30,000 naira but they can pay senators and rep 2 billion naira per annum.
That is just a drop. Even if the senators are paid zero naira, the states won't still be able to pay 30k minimum salaries cos of many undercurrents ranging from over bloated work force, lean revenue, competiting sectoral needs, financial liabilities obligations, poor productivity of the workers, corruption and a lot more.

1 Like

Re: “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov by tuniski: 9:21am On Apr 21, 2019
Emceesaka:
My advice to the Federal Government is that the part section budget that is meant for State workers salary should not be giving to the state government directly rather the Federal Government should pay state workers salary directly to them and releaße the remaining balance of Federal allocation to the state government.
Then there will be nothing left!
Re: “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov by Emceesaka: 9:21am On Apr 21, 2019
[quote author=Emceesaka post=77724111]My advice to the Federal Government is that the part section budget from Revenue allocation that is meant for State workers salary should not be giving to the state government directly rather the Federal Government should pay state workers salary directly to them and release the remaining balance of Federal allocation to the state government.
Re: “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov by jrusky(m): 9:23am On Apr 21, 2019
First time umahi will talk sense. When I saw some states trying to show fake impression to be Buhari good boy by saying they will pay N30,000 minimum wages I just laughed because I knew average Nigerian politician are mentally broke is it the govt that can't pay N18,000 and owes 6 months or a year workers salary will pay 30k? Ok nah.

2 Likes

Re: “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov by McSpeedy04: 9:23am On Apr 21, 2019
They can't pay 30k minimum wage yet they can loot million of dollars.

Majority of states don't want what is good for its indigenes.

1 Like

Re: “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov by CHRISDMANAGER(m): 9:25am On Apr 21, 2019
Awon yeye..I know this will definitely come up..Now it has come to the masses you people ,have remembered you have other responsibilities apart from paying civil servants..Mr.Governor have you ever deprived yourself the bogus salary you and your cabinets receive?....If we should talk about the emoluments of all the Commissioners, SSA's ,SA's ,HOA members and so on, you will find out that this people are milking us dry and living large at the expense of the masses...Yeye kwantiri!

1 Share

Re: “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov by jrusky(m): 9:25am On Apr 21, 2019
McSpeedy04:
They can't pay 30k minimum wage yet they can loot million of dollars.

Majority of states don't want what is good for its indigenes.

Ordinary 18k have they paid? Bro these dude are demons I can never take them serious. You can't pay 18k without owing in arrears and now want to pay 30k pls how?
Re: “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov by Greatzeus(m): 9:28am On Apr 21, 2019
Politicians hee, they didn't say this before election oh, now election is over,they remember they can't pay. I believe all the states can pay 30k minimum wage,if the states resources are properly channeled.
Governors waste money a lot,I remember after BBnaija show,the winner was given a lot of money by the state governor, imagine for what exactly?
Re: “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov by Emceesaka: 9:28am On Apr 21, 2019
tuniski:

Then there will be nothing left!

Very funny my brother. Am a federal Government worker but when I see how dis state workers been treated, I felt a lot pity for them. And I think the best measure to end dis state workers salary issue is that Federal Government should come to their rescue because d Governors are not going to pay them dis #30,000 minimum wage
Re: “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov by omohayek: 9:30am On Apr 21, 2019
As much as so many on here would like to wish it were otherwise, the governor is simply speaking the truth, at least as far as affordability is concerned: No more than 2 or 3 of the 36 states have the financial cushion required to support this minimum wage hike, and that would remain the case even if every single governor, state representative, LGA chairman and all the rest were made to work for free from here on out. This is a simple matter of arithmetic, which no amount of moaning about excessive big-wig salaries will change.

If anything, Umuahi understates the harsh financial realities facing most Nigerian states, as the truth is that most "states" are simply not viable as self-standing entities, and they would quickly collapse if the ridiculous "federal allocation" feeding bottle system were ended, or even merely changed to a system of 1:1 grants matching IGR. It is sheer nonsense to argue for states to be given ever more "autonomy" even as they grow ever more dependent on funds from the FG to keep their heads above water, and even that was something they weren't managing before the new minimum wage hike. Has everybody already forgotten that Buhari has had to repeatedly bail out the states in the last 4 years?

These are entities which were already devoting nearly every kobo they got from the FG to the payment of (often late, and even then only partial) salaries, to the exclusion of roads, clean water, primary health care, improved education or everything else that should be considered the true focus of government, yet here we are, cheering for the imposition of even more unsustainable obligations on "states" which were already failing at their most essential duties! And yet some people wonder why they reside in sh*tholes ...

There is in fact a solution to the problem plaguing the vast majority of Nigerian states, but it is not the one most economic illiterates advocate, and certainly not what they'd like to hear: state governors have to start showing some spine by trimming down their bloated workforces, which have grown out of control as successive governors have sought to buy electoral popularity by hiring ever more unqualified people to do almost nothing other than seek bribes if they even bother to show up at all. I bet at least 2/3 of the state employees could be safely let go without affecting any operations whatsoever, and if anything, the money freed up would actually give governors the scope to implement policies which would tangibly improve the lives of the mass of their citizens, instead of just the paychecks of a relative few spongers.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov by samsard(m): 9:30am On Apr 21, 2019
maoolakanm:
Any governor who can't pay should resign.If they reduced all those unnecessary aides who does nothing and if they'll channel 90% of the money they spent on security vote to the right place they will pay.
Why can't he say this before the election.
Yea, and then you'll complain of kidnappings.
See, much as I don't like our politicians I have to agree with them that 30k isn't feasible for Most of the states. Trust me.
You see some of the states that habitually owe salaries? Their allocations simply won't fully cover civil service recurrent expenditures with sufficient funds left for infrastructure and services. So the governors will tell you that they can't cater to just the needs of maybe less than %5 of the states leaving no infrastructural developments.
It's a very sad truth. Sure funds can be better managed and some of the governors have had to become managers. But long term solutions have to be sought, not all this social media angst.

2 Likes

Re: “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov by udemzyudex(m): 9:32am On Apr 21, 2019
Isn't this a shame? It goes to show that our leaders are intellectually bankrupt.
Re: “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov by Chuksmonika(m): 9:35am On Apr 21, 2019
even if other states pay,Okezie Ikpeazu of Abia state will still find reasons not to pay,that man is killing workers and pensioners in abia state with his non payment of salaries and pension,he will never go free!
Re: “95 Per Cent Of States Can’t Pay N30,000 Minimum Wage” - Ebonyi Gov by jidobaba(m): 9:36am On Apr 21, 2019
gulfer:
Rubbish, but they can pay travel and sitting allowances and unmerited on uses to some dump state house of assembly members I pray this minimum wage issue leads to popular revolt and uprising against all these thieving politicians angry angry angry
My brother that is the endgame. Buhari/Osinbajo have given Nigerians a lifeline to deliver ourselves.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Thugs Attack Labour Party Meeting, Injure Members, Vandalise Properties In Enugu / Tinubu And Shettima Meets People Living With Special Needs In Abuja / Ebelechukwu Obiano Marks Easter With Prisoners - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.