Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,923 members, 7,802,995 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 06:58 AM

African-Americans:How Do You Feel Been Constantly Reminded That You Were Slaves - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / African-Americans:How Do You Feel Been Constantly Reminded That You Were Slaves (1608 Views)

The Rift Between African-Americans And Recent African Immigrants To The US / African-americans Trace Roots To Igbo Land / Igbo Priest Teaching Americans How To Sing In Igbo Language (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

African-Americans:How Do You Feel Been Constantly Reminded That You Were Slaves by Nobody: 1:58pm On Apr 21, 2019
I need responses from African-Americans, enlighten Nigerians and also Caribbeans, khiaa who uses Nairaland and

We all know that the ancestors of African-Americans and Caribbeans were brought from Africa to work on plantations as slaves in America and the west indies.

I am really concerned, slavery in the Americans is long gone but every day, the western media reminds you that your ancestors were brought as slaves to work on plantations, now it is good to know your history but how do you feel when you are constantly reminded that your ancestors were slaves? I kind of feel, it is an attempt to demeans you guys and to tell you your place in society rather than to tell you your real history lessons and empower you. what do you guys think?

for example; telling a man that he is thief constantly is to ridicule him reminding his generations that their ancestor was a thief, is like trying to mock and demean the family irrespective of their achievement. i see similar tactics used by western media when talking about African-Americans and Caribbeans.
Re: African-Americans:How Do You Feel Been Constantly Reminded That You Were Slaves by OneCorner: 3:06pm On Apr 21, 2019

Re: African-Americans:How Do You Feel Been Constantly Reminded That You Were Slaves by Opiletool(m): 3:31pm On Apr 21, 2019
Same AA that call Africans cavemen or bushmen.
Re: African-Americans:How Do You Feel Been Constantly Reminded That You Were Slaves by Nobody: 6:37pm On Apr 21, 2019
OneCorner:

so what is your thought
Re: African-Americans:How Do You Feel Been Constantly Reminded That You Were Slaves by Nobody: 6:38pm On Apr 21, 2019
Opiletool:

i am not here to call names but to hear opinions of how they feel when they are constantly reminded about their slavery pass

1 Like

Re: African-Americans:How Do You Feel Been Constantly Reminded That You Were Slaves by Hintona(f): 5:37pm On Apr 22, 2019
Of course they'll feel bad did you expect them to be happy when they are told their ancestors were slaves?
They have every bit of diaspora in them
Bit I think they should learn to embrace their African roots it'll help them alot and tensions between them and the pure Africans should stop we are all Africans
Re: African-Americans:How Do You Feel Been Constantly Reminded That You Were Slaves by Originalsly: 2:33am On Apr 23, 2019
lilwetdick:

......every day, the western media reminds you that your ancestors were brought as slaves to work on plantations, now it is good to know your history but how do you feel when you are constantly reminded that your ancestors were slaves?

Bro..... change your source of information. It is like taboo for the Western media to raise the topic of slavery. In fact... it is the African Americans that do raise the topic and rub it into the faces of the Whites

1 Like

Re: African-Americans:How Do You Feel Been Constantly Reminded That You Were Slaves by khiaa(f): 7:24am On Apr 23, 2019
Originalsly:

Bro..... change your source of information. It is like taboo for the Western media to raise the topic of slavery. In fact... it is the African Americans that do raise the topic and rub it into the faces of the Whites

I hate you ignorant son of bytches with a passion. It's the whites who ingrain in our minds/souls from school age to adulthood that we are descendants of slaves, that we are nothing, that we are cursed by God. It is taught in the American curriculum from the beginning of our school age. We are constantly fighting these demons, it's a lifetime struggle. Pick up a book and learn something and stop kissing your white god's azzes, you sorry piece of crap.

1 Like

Re: African-Americans:How Do You Feel Been Constantly Reminded That You Were Slaves by Originalsly: 8:49am On Apr 23, 2019
khiaa:

I hate you ignorant son of bytches with a passion. It's the whites who ingrain in our minds/souls from school age to adulthood that we are descendants of slaves, that we are nothing, that we are cursed by God. It is taught in the American curriculum from the beginning of our school age. We are constantly fighting these demons, it's a lifetime struggle. Pick up a book and learn something and stop kissing your white god's azzes, you sorry piece of crap.

Hmmm.... you hate Africans.... with a passion. Why?...and do you hate Whites?...if yes...with a passion? Why/why not? Your forefathers were enslaved ...so you hate their ancestors? Why?...and we wonder why African Americans and Africans do not get along.
The Western media shy away from the topic of slavery because it depicts them as being inhumane. It is ok to remind the world of the holocaust... how the Jews were inhumanely treated... but not remind the world of slavery and how Africans were stripped of their culture and their dignity. Raising the topic opens a can of worms for them.... and African Americans do open that can of worms.... their past of atrocities.
Re: African-Americans:How Do You Feel Been Constantly Reminded That You Were Slaves by khiaa(f): 9:13am On Apr 23, 2019
Originalsly:

Hmmm...[b]you hate Africans.... with a passion. [/b]Why?...and do you hate Whites?...if yes...with a passion? Why/why not? Your forefathers were enslaved ...so you hate their ancestors? Why?...and we wonder why African Americans and Africans do not get along.
The Western media shy away from the topic of slavery because it depicts them as being inhumane. It is ok to remind the world of the holocaust... how the Jews were inhumanely treated... but not remind the world of slavery and how Africans were stripped of their culture and their dignity. Raising the topic opens a can of worms for them.... and African Americans do open that can of worms.... their past of atrocities.

1. I didn't say that I hate Africans I said that I hate you ignorant son of bytches with a passion, there is a difference. As I said, America does not ignore their treatment of blacks in this country, they make sure that every black generation knows that they are descendants of slaves and treat them acoordinately.

2. Do I hate whites, yes, Always and forever?

3. Do I hate my African forefathers, of course not I love them with all my being? Do I hate their forefathers who sold them into slavery, yes, always and forever?

2 Likes

Re: African-Americans:How Do You Feel Been Constantly Reminded That You Were Slaves by khiaa(f): 9:47am On Apr 23, 2019
Opiletool:

You don't even make sense. What Africans live in a cave? Stop making up crap.

1 Like

Re: African-Americans:How Do You Feel Been Constantly Reminded That You Were Slaves by khiaa(f): 9:54am On Apr 23, 2019
Originalsly:

Hmmm.... you hate Africans.... with a passion. Why?...and do you hate Whites?...if yes...with a passion? Why/why not? Your forefathers were enslaved ...so you hate their ancestors? Why?...and we wonder why African Americans and Africans do not get along.

Ok, I misunderstood you, I offer my apology to you.
Re: African-Americans:How Do You Feel Been Constantly Reminded That You Were Slaves by Opiletool(m): 11:07am On Apr 23, 2019
khiaa:

You don't even make sense. What Africans live in a cave? Stop making up crap.

It cannot make sense to you cause you have no brain to comprehend what makes sense or doesn't. I have seen several AA call Africans cavemen, especially on social media. I have experienced this. Another instance is when J. Cole came to Nigeria. A video of Nigerians singing along with him when he was performing on stage was released to the social media, some AA that saw the video started making comments like 'they even use iPhones when they can't afford to buy shoes', 'look they're singing cole's song' and more demeaning comments.

Also, so many Africans have complained about the condescending ways they were treated by AA in the US. There are threads on this site to corroborate my claims. I'm not justifying racism they're suffering, but they also look down on set of people whom they share same skin colour with. Not all of them do, but most of them do.

2 Likes

Re: African-Americans:How Do You Feel Been Constantly Reminded That You Were Slaves by khiaa(f): 11:35am On Apr 23, 2019
[quote author=Opiletool post=77783609]

It cannot make sense to you cause you have no brain to comprehend what makes sense or doesn't. I have seen several AA call Africans cavemen, especially on social media. I have experienced this. Another instance is when J. Cole came to Nigeria. A video of Nigerians singing along with him when he was performing on stage was released to the social media, some AA that saw the video started making comments like 'they even use iPhones when they can't afford to buy shoes', 'look they're singing cole's song' and more demeaning comments.

Also, so many Africans have complained about the condescending ways they were treated by AA in the US. There are threads on this site to corroborate my claims. I'm not justifying racism they're suffering, but they also look down on set of people whom they share same skin colour with. Not all of them do, but most of them do. [[/b]quote]

[b]I am Black American so I know what you are saying is not true. How do you know what most Black Americans do, do you know most of us? You need to stop believing everything that you read on social media, you don't even know if they are black.

2 Likes

Re: African-Americans:How Do You Feel Been Constantly Reminded That You Were Slaves by Opiletool(m): 11:56am On Apr 23, 2019
[quote author=khiaa post=77784280][/quote]

You as a person may not be doing that, but believe me, most times, anytime an argument ensues between an African and AA, the next thing you read is 'crawl back to your cave' and so on.

My opinion on the subject of topic is, if you accept a particular attribute and wear it like an armour, nobody will be able to use it against you. That is your root, no man can live without being reminded of his/her root, it means you are not yet living. Accept the fact, and you will stop seeing it as an insult. The more you kick against it, the more they use as a psychological weapon against you. Plus, the whites should be the ones keeping it as secret because it tells of their evil nature if they could treat humans in such a wicked manner.

2 Likes

Re: African-Americans:How Do You Feel Been Constantly Reminded That You Were Slaves by khiaa(f): 12:25pm On Apr 23, 2019
Opiletool:

You as a person may not be doing that, but believe me, most times, anytime an argument ensues between an African and AA, the next thing you read is 'crawl back to your cave' and so on.

My opinion on the subject of topic is, if you accept a particular attribute and wear it like an armour, nobody will be able to use it against you. That is your root, no man can live without being reminded of his/her root, it means you are not yet living. Accept the fact, and you will stop seeing it as an insult. The more you kick against it, the more they use as a psychological weapon against you. Plus, the whites should be the ones keeping it as secret because it tells of their evil nature if they could treat humans in such a wicked manner.

What proof do you have that they are black Americans?
Re: African-Americans:How Do You Feel Been Constantly Reminded That You Were Slaves by Opiletool(m): 12:38pm On Apr 23, 2019
khiaa:

Except maybe they're lying about their Facebook profiles. I'm a fan of rap music, so there was this Facebook page I joined some years back, it was for one hip hop website (hiphopdx or something like that). AA dominated the page, plus few Africans like myself. Anytime we try to argue about a rapper or rap song, the mean comments we often get from those guys were too much, to the extent that I had to quit following the page. Don't get me wrong, I also met few awesome AAs through that page, and they are the few that always try to caution those guys. Do you still need more proof?

1 Like

Re: African-Americans:How Do You Feel Been Constantly Reminded That You Were Slaves by Nobody: 1:52pm On Apr 23, 2019
Originalsly:

it seems you dont watch western media like CNN, FOX and other media, they do that every day and talk about slavery and remind them that their ancestors were slaves in subtle ways
Re: African-Americans:How Do You Feel Been Constantly Reminded That You Were Slaves by Originalsly: 2:38pm On Apr 23, 2019
lilwetdick:

it seems you dont watch western media like CNN, FOX and other media, they do that every day and talk about slavery and remind them that their ancestors were slaves in subtle ways

Hmmm.... now I see where you get your feed from. You really need to change your source of information. Do you ever hear them say anything good about Obama?...do you ever hear them speak anything bad about Trump? ...figure out why.... and you may understand why conscious Blacks do not tune in to either Fox nor CNN.... and thanks for making me now understand why soo many at home support Trump. Learn to chew before swallowing.

1 Like

Re: African-Americans:How Do You Feel Been Constantly Reminded That You Were Slaves by Nobody: 3:39pm On Apr 23, 2019
khiaa:

They are Black Americans, I've encounter them on YouTube and Twitter as well undecided

6 Likes

Re: African-Americans:How Do You Feel Been Constantly Reminded That You Were Slaves by khiaa(f): 6:48pm On Apr 23, 2019
Opiletool:

Except maybe they're lying about their Facebook profiles. I'm a fan of rap music, so there was this Facebook page I joined some years back, it was for one hip hop website (hiphopdx or something like that). AA dominated the page, plus few Africans like myself. Anytime we try to argue about a rapper or rap song, the mean comments we often get from those guys were too much, to the extent that I had to quit following the page. Don't get me wrong, I also met few awesome AAs through that page, and they are the few that always try to caution those guys. Do you still need more proof?

Whites come to those sites and pretend to be black, I have encountered them myself.

1 Like

Re: African-Americans:How Do You Feel Been Constantly Reminded That You Were Slaves by Opiletool(m): 6:55pm On Apr 23, 2019
khiaa:

Whites come to those sites and pretend to be black, I have encountered them myself.

You don't have to cover up this despicable antics. I'm not dumb.

1 Like

Re: African-Americans:How Do You Feel Been Constantly Reminded That You Were Slaves by khiaa(f): 7:01pm On Apr 23, 2019
Opiletool:

Why would I need to cover up anything, it's not like africans are innocent? You insult people daily, just look at the insults on these threads. Most of the time people insult you guys in retaliation.
Re: African-Americans:How Do You Feel Been Constantly Reminded That You Were Slaves by Pearlyakin(m): 7:35pm On Apr 23, 2019
khiaa:

Why would I need to cover up anything, it's not like africans are innocent? You insult people daily, just look at the insults on these threads. Most of the time people insult you guys in retaliation.
Hello khiaa, to be candid lots of Africans have faced a lot of demeaning comments from AA , I remember when J Cole came to Nigeria and same goes for Lil Baby it was so bad that Nigerians had to go to Lil baby's page on instagram and insulted AA in retaliation to AA calling Africans derogatory names.
It's just so pathetic.

1 Like

Re: African-Americans:How Do You Feel Been Constantly Reminded That You Were Slaves by BlackAdam55(m): 7:36pm On Apr 23, 2019
Opiletool:

You should have ignored her mention, that lady is something else
Re: African-Americans:How Do You Feel Been Constantly Reminded That You Were Slaves by khiaa(f): 7:41pm On Apr 23, 2019
Pearlyakin:

Hello khiaa, to be candid lots of Africans have faced a lot of demeaning comments from AA , I remember when J Cole came to Nigeria and same goes for Lil Baby it was so bad that Nigerians had to go to Lil baby's page on instagram and insulted AA in retaliation to AA calling Africans derogatory names.
It's just so pathetic.

It goes both ways, africans insult black Americans all of the time, just look at the threads here on nairaland that were created in the attempt to insult black Americans.
Re: African-Americans:How Do You Feel Been Constantly Reminded That You Were Slaves by khiaa(f): 7:43pm On Apr 23, 2019
BlackAdam55:

You should have ignored me as well. grin
Re: African-Americans:How Do You Feel Been Constantly Reminded That You Were Slaves by Nobody: 7:51pm On Apr 23, 2019
BlackAdam55:
I They tell you.
Re: African-Americans:How Do You Feel Been Constantly Reminded That You Were Slaves by Pearlyakin(m): 7:51pm On Apr 23, 2019
khiaa:

It goes both ways, africans insult black Americans all of the time, just look at the threads here on nairaland that were created in the attempt to insult black Americans.
I stand to be corrected ma, i don't think I've found such threads here on nairaland, rather most Africans like to associate with AA, for example i was so happy when I read that Bishop TD Jakes is of Nigerian descent even when i read about Chadwick Bossman that his ancestory DNA is of Yoruba i was elated and i keep on telling all my friends then but i doubt if such is the case amongst AA towards African.
I understand what you guys faced in the past and even the present situation of things.

1 Like

Re: African-Americans:How Do You Feel Been Constantly Reminded That You Were Slaves by khiaa(f): 7:54pm On Apr 23, 2019
SilentListener:
i thought you claim they are white people not black American insulting Africans. crazy freak

I never said that about the nairaland posters you stupid i.diot. 2buffagain is not white.
Re: African-Americans:How Do You Feel Been Constantly Reminded That You Were Slaves by khiaa(f): 7:59pm On Apr 23, 2019
Pearlyakin:

I stand to be corrected ma, i don't think I've found such threads here on nairaland, rather most Africans like to associate with AA, for example i was so happy when I read that Bishop TD Jakes is of Nigerian descent even when i read about Chadwick Bossman that his ancestory DNA is of Yoruba i was elated and i keep on telling all my friends then but i doubt if such is the case amongst AA towards African.
I understand what you guys faced in the past and even the present situation of things.

If these Americans who discovered who they are weren't proud then you would not know about it because they would have never shared the information with the world.

2 Likes

Re: African-Americans:How Do You Feel Been Constantly Reminded That You Were Slaves by Nobody: 8:00pm On Apr 23, 2019
khiaa:

khiaa:

I never said that about the nairaland posters you stupid i.diot. 2buffagain is not white.
You are more dumber than the average Joe, no need to reply your stupid mention again sick freak

(1) (2) (Reply)

Do You Consider Her As Igbo / Association Of Nairaland Fulfude (fulani) ANAFUL / A Ritual In Indonesia Where Relatives Raise Their Dead Ones Every Three Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.