Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,047 members, 7,807,141 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:13 AM

Chatme, A Chat Messenger Application Develop By Nigerian Programmer - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Chatme, A Chat Messenger Application Develop By Nigerian Programmer (3831 Views)

Joshua Agboola: 10-year-old Nigerian Programmer Who Has Developed Games And App / Meet Basil Okpara, The 9-year-old Nigerian Programmer Who's Built Over 30 Games / Basil Okpara Jr, Biography, Age, Nigerian Programmer Who Built 30 Mobile Games (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chatme, A Chat Messenger Application Develop By Nigerian Programmer by resosdigital(m): 12:41pm On May 04, 2019
Principles developed by who and where?

Tested, validated and universally accepted by who and where?

Look at Amazon- started as a book selling and lending app but now is a full fledged ecommerce app. But not just that though, you have amazon prime cast TV incorporated, amzon drive, Amazon go, merch by Amazon, Amazon art etc.

Why didn't amzon go out of business because they shifted from their reason of existence. Or why did users embrace the new features and additions even if they were not book related.

Think jumia. Now, jumia pay, jumia food, jumia travel and so.

I still maintain my stand that it is still down to the developer and company.

After all the app is yours, you could integrate any features you want without having to worry about any principles.

And by the way, the fact that we share different opinions on this matter, doesnt make one smarter than the other.
makavele:

Let's talk about this for a while and while we are at it; let's reason like adults . .

The snapchat application: what does it do? social connection
Instagram? what does it do? social connection

How about the paypal app? financial connection

and the Uber app? transportation connection . . .

Now imagine paypal starts to do snaps as a feature. so while sending money to your loved ones, you could add one or two "snaps" like like snapchat
or imagine, you could now use "instragram" to transfer money to somebody's paypal account.

It misses the objective; why the app existed in the first place . . . Try to incorporate another external feature and see it dead on arrival.
Facebook tried integrating p2p payments and taxi hailing into their app. Ask yourself how many times have you used facbook's p2p payment system. Then compare that with PayPal, skrill, perfectmoney, and crypto currencies (in their dedicated application).

And how many times have taxis being hailed using facebook?
How many times do people use the dedicated apps like Uber? Taxify?

Well, you get the idea.

Go back and read the SOLID principle of programming. It's not only for classes and methods; it extends into the overall Dev ops.
There was a hot debate here sometimes why Computer Science degree holders are way better than self-taught programmers. I chose to stay neutral but now I am beginning to reason along that line too. This is something any body would have learned in the fundamentals.
Self taught always think they have learnt it all cos they shipped a product; but they are missing the whole fundamentals.

Now feel free to counter my position; but do it nicely and not like that rabid dog; who has enough to purchase a daughter
but could not purchase his family out of poverty. He got his chance but missed it; and has been ignored since 6am today.
He will be e-buried in my collection of memes.

1 Like

Re: Chatme, A Chat Messenger Application Develop By Nigerian Programmer by resosdigital(m): 12:43pm On May 04, 2019
makavele:

Please don't tell me you are feeling intimidated. I can literally smell it in your post.
Let's carry on the conversation as I replied in my previous quote.
You miss the point bro.

You drop a screenshot with literally everything blurred out.

Drop the links to the repo then I will begin to shiver.
Re: Chatme, A Chat Messenger Application Develop By Nigerian Programmer by makavele: 12:52pm On May 04, 2019
resosdigital:

You miss the point bro.

You drop a screenshot with literally everything blurred out.

Drop the links to the repo then I will begin to shiver.

They are blurred out; because they are private and not for consumption on Nairaland. Heck; you can even see the padlock symbol on some.
You don't figure if an employer asked me for one; I would send it blurred like that, right?

On a lighter note, if you are in dire need of shivering; put your air conditioning unit on full blast; and stay in front of it bare-chested.

On a serious note; if you want to see them; I'd oblige you, Send me a PM . . we can do a private video call
and screen sharing via skype and get to discuss this and many other things; vice versa.

Perhaps; drink beer too; sometimes, Who knows?
Re: Chatme, A Chat Messenger Application Develop By Nigerian Programmer by makavele: 1:01pm On May 04, 2019
resosdigital:
Principles developed by who and where?

Tested, validated and universally accepted by who and where?

Look at Amazon- started as a book selling and lending app but now is a full fledged ecommerce app. But not just that though, you have amazon prime cast TV incorporated, amzon drive, Amazon go, merch by Amazon, Amazon art etc.

Why didn't amzon go out of business because they shifted from their reason of existence. Or why did users embrace the new features and additions even if they were not book related.

Think jumia. Now, jumia pay, jumia food, jumia travel and so.

I still maintain my stand that it is still down to the developer and company.

After all the app is yours, you could integrate any features you want without having to worry about any principles.

And by the way, the fact that we share different opinions on this matter, doesnt make one smarter than the other.

You miss the point . . Taking Amazon as a case study. They started selling books. Great !
Then developed into a full-fledged online store for anything and everything (not limited to books)! Superb
Well, still within the niche of commerce, you would agree.

Then went further into delivering IaaS products? Superb . . But guess what? that is a whole different niche and was not incorporated into the buying and selling product. I am talking AWS et al.

Okay, Jeff wasn't satisfied and added movies and entertainment. Guess what? Another whole different niche. Heck, they even have a website app dedicated to the entertainment: primevideo.com. Of course you could access prime from the regular website as a form of advertising what it does; watch a handful of content here and there but if you were serious about it, you'd get primevideo.

So in summary, each product is carved from and independent niche. If AWS goes down, we'd still have the amazon shopping center.
if the shopping site goes down, we'd still have AWS and primevideo and so on and so forth. Well you get the idea.

But incorporating a payment system and social system into one single app. If the app goes down?
Re: Chatme, A Chat Messenger Application Develop By Nigerian Programmer by Nobody: 1:04pm On May 04, 2019
makavele:

Goodbye toy soldier.... Won't give u the attention your biochemists wannabe programmer azz yearns for...
I'd recommend you apply as a teacher in your daughters kindagathen.... that's the position suitable enough for talk more do less nitwits like u.... We're you're expected to talk, and actually do nuffing
Re: Chatme, A Chat Messenger Application Develop By Nigerian Programmer by makavele: 1:10pm On May 04, 2019
And now going back to your questions of principles developed by who or where?

Who developed the Waterfall method, or the Agile methods? how about Scrum. It's already quite obvious you are self-taught. I really have no problem with that. But this is where "you" might have a problem.

A customer needs a web app. After shipping, your web app consumes 956MB of RAM. And takes forever to search the DB records. Oh good Lord! Customer complains. A computer scientist will not even have this issue because before shipping, the apps are already tested and optimized for memory usage and performance, disk io rates; and bandwidth consumption; cpu usage etc. Well, no self taught tests for these things and that would even be an understatement.

So back to bedlam. Customer complains. You go to google and search "my application is using too much memory" . . "how to transverse a DB quickly" etc
and you get some results talking gibberish . . e.g.

The big O notation, a pigeon vs an email in file transfer; use Recursion instead of endless for loops; use memcache; integrate redis; use quicksort
blah blah blah

And you start wondering what the heck has Big O got to do with an html/css application in php and bootstrap;
and why must i spin up Redis for this simple laravel application; when I have mysql or sqlite? what the f*k is quicksort?
i could just do a "db connect" and "for each" the living daylight out of it.

then you start googling again: "what is Big O" , "how to implement big O in PHP" . . . "how to implement Redis".... like seriously?

And you get answers like "the world has moved on to non-relational databases" and you start googling again
"differences between relational and non relational databases"

And when you start to get brain fogged with all the information that don't even scratch the surface.

You go back to the codes and start reducing your if else statements, or probably creating more nested loops and vice versa.
You start refactoring by grouping together code blocks into functions and reducing lines of code blocks.

And guess what? YOU DID NOTHING !!!

And that, my friend, is the problem derived from a lack of understanding of principles.
Re: Chatme, A Chat Messenger Application Develop By Nigerian Programmer by makavele: 1:11pm On May 04, 2019
modestbrowser:

Goodbye toy soldier....

Re: Chatme, A Chat Messenger Application Develop By Nigerian Programmer by resosdigital(m): 1:26pm On May 04, 2019
makavele:

Who developed the Waterfall method, or the Agile methods? how about Scrum. It's already quite obvious you are self-taught. I really have no problem with that. But this is where "you" might have a problem.

A customer needs a web app. After shipping, your web app consumes 956MB of RAM. And takes forever to search the DB records. Oh good Lord! Customer complains. A computer scientist will not even have this issue because before shipping, the apps are already tested and optimized for memory usage and performance, disk io rates; and bandwidth consumption; cpu usage etc. Well, no self taught tests for these things and that would even be an understatement.

So back to bedlam. Customer complains. You go to google and search "my application is using too much memory" . . "how to transverse a DB quickly" etc

The big O notation, a pigeon vs an email in file transfer; use Recursion instead of endless for loops; use memcache; integrate redis; use quicksort
blah blah blah

And you start wondering what the heck has Big O got to do with an html/css application in php and bootstrap;
and why must i spin up Redis for this simple laravel application. what the f*k is quicksort?

then you start googling again: "what is Big O" , "how to implement big O in PHP" . . . "how to implement Redis".... like seriously?
And when you start to get brain fogged with all the information that don't even scratch the surface.

You go back to the codes and start reducing your if else statements, or probably creating more nested loops and vice versa.
You start refactoring by grouping together code blocks into functions and reducing lines of code blocks.

And that, my friend, is the problem derived from a lack of understanding of principles.

You make a lot of points but all this have absolutely nothing to do with the question. A chat app that allows people to make payments.

And for your information I am a computer science graduate from futo. So believe me when I say I dont make rookie mistakes.

And about self taught developers, do you know Jeffery way of laracasts.com the official training site of laravel. Well, he is a college drop out and self taught programmer. Do your noun certificate has nothing to do with it.

Come to think of it. If uber decides to incorporate a sort of on demand payment processing into their service, do you think anyone in this world will care about your principles.

And you dont need a sermon to drive home your points.
Re: Chatme, A Chat Messenger Application Develop By Nigerian Programmer by makavele: 1:34pm On May 04, 2019
resosdigital:

You make a lot of points but all this have absolutely nothing to do with the question. A chat app that allows people to make payments.

And for your information I am a computer science graduate from futo. So believe me when I say I dont make rookie mistakes.

That response was not about the app; but your question of principles

Congratulations: well you get the point !
A comp sci graduate who negates the use of principles? I want to believe otherwise !!!

An app that allows a payment system . . I say Nay, you say Yay.
At the end of the day, the app maker is pleased to do as he/she desires.

And yes, I know Jeffery and a host of others. The problem is . . they learn in reverse. but over time, will become just as good as one with the core fundamentals or even better.

As you could see in my analogy, the problem to our imaginary app was fixed in reverse;
which poses a threat in commercial standards.
Re: Chatme, A Chat Messenger Application Develop By Nigerian Programmer by Nobody: 1:36pm On May 04, 2019
resosdigital:

And about self taught developers, do you know Jeffery way of laracasts.com the official training site of laravel. Well, he is a college drop out and self taught programmer. Do your noun certificate has nothing to do with it.

Come to think of it. If uber decides to incorporate a sort of on demand payment processing into their service, do you think anyone in this world will care about your principles.

FUTO final year here
Re: Chatme, A Chat Messenger Application Develop By Nigerian Programmer by Nobody: 1:38pm On May 04, 2019
makavele:

I guess you haven't heard of WeChat b4.
What a man.
Chai
Re: Chatme, A Chat Messenger Application Develop By Nigerian Programmer by makavele: 1:45pm On May 04, 2019
modestbrowser:

I guess you haven't heard of WeChat b4.
What a man.
Chai

Re: Chatme, A Chat Messenger Application Develop By Nigerian Programmer by resosdigital(m): 2:15pm On May 04, 2019
makavele:

That response was not about the app; but your question of principles

A comp sci graduate who negates the use of principles? I want to believe otherwise !!!

And yes, I know Jeffery and a host of others. The problem is . . they learn in reverse. but over time, will become just as good as one with the core fundamentals or even better.

As you could see in my analogy, the problem to our imaginary app was fixed in reverse;
which poses a threat in commercial standards.

You still dont get the point.

The question about having an chat app that allows payment processing has absolutely nothing to do with programming.

This type of decisions are not made by programmers but the marketers and directors.

At the end it is not about programming principles but how marketable the app will be.

Or do you think Amazon sat down with its developers to talk agile before deciding to incorporating any of their services
Re: Chatme, A Chat Messenger Application Develop By Nigerian Programmer by resosdigital(m): 2:20pm On May 04, 2019
And on the thought about self thought vs degree programmers.

I believe this comparison is baseless as the comparison should be rather be about good vs bad programmers.
Re: Chatme, A Chat Messenger Application Develop By Nigerian Programmer by makavele: 2:30pm On May 04, 2019
resosdigital:

You still dont get the point.

Or do you think Amazon sat down with its developers to talk agile before deciding to incorporating any of their services

Bros, please stop this grin grin grin. You are cracking me up real good here. Let me repeat myself. That post was more of a digression. Well I get you point. So let that one rest.
I don't know what methodology amazon uses; but methodology isn't something that is written on a whiteboard and decided upon
prior to making decisions.
Nobody says "hey, lets build a new integration?" shall we use agile, or otherwise?
or which TDD shall we employ?
Hahaha grin grin grin

That statement alone shows you don't even understand what I was saying all long; more like it's kinda beyond your scope
Your perhaps know the Google definition of it; but not the practical implementation of it. You would only when you work where it is being
practiced.
And I say that politely, please don't take it as an insult.
Re: Chatme, A Chat Messenger Application Develop By Nigerian Programmer by makavele: 2:31pm On May 04, 2019
resosdigital:
And on the thought about self thought vs degree programmers.

I believe this comparison is baseless as the comparison should be rather be about good vs bad programmers.

I actually took this same stand; I considered it baseless, I didn't comment about it..
But with the way bad programmers are springing up every nano second especially on Nairaland;
I might just go along with that guy that says programmers needs to be regulated by a board kinda.
At least, in Nigeria; for now !
Re: Chatme, A Chat Messenger Application Develop By Nigerian Programmer by Nobody: 2:41pm On May 04, 2019
makavele:

I actually took this same stand; I considered it baseless, I didn't comment about it..
But with the way bad programmers are springing up every nano second especially on Nairaland;
I might just go along with that guy that says programmers needs to be regulated by a board kinda.
At least, in Nigeria; for now !
I can bet my balls you wouldn't be on the list of programmers if a regulated body was achieved....
Re: Chatme, A Chat Messenger Application Develop By Nigerian Programmer by makavele: 2:47pm On May 04, 2019
modestbrowser:

I can bet my balls you wouldn't be on the list of programmers if a regulated body was achieved....

"regulatory"

Re: Chatme, A Chat Messenger Application Develop By Nigerian Programmer by resosdigital(m): 3:38pm On May 04, 2019
makavele:

Bros, please stop this grin grin grin. You are cracking me up real good here. Let me repeat myself. That post was more of a digression. Well I get you point. So let that one rest.
I don't know what methodology amazon uses; but methodology isn't something that is written on a whiteboard and decided upon
prior to making decisions.
Nobody says "hey, lets build a new integration?" shall we use agile, or otherwise?
or which TDD shall we employ?
Hahaha grin grin grin

That statement alone shows you don't even understand what I was saying all long; more like it's kinda beyond your scope
Your perhaps know the Google definition of it; but not the practical implementation of it. You would only when you work where it is being
practiced.
And I say that politely, please don't take it as an insult.

You were the one who went off track.

Someone suggested that he integrate a payment processing into his app.

This is a marketing advice and discussion as the approach and technical side of this were never mentioned.

Only for you to say that it was against a programming principle.

What is the name of the principle and who propounded it if I may.

Or better still tell me how the above suggestion is related to big o and agile and redis?
Re: Chatme, A Chat Messenger Application Develop By Nigerian Programmer by makavele: 3:47pm On May 04, 2019
resosdigital:

You were the one who went off track.

Someone suggested that he integrate a payment processing into his app.

This is a marketing advice and discussion as the approach and technical side of this were never mentioned.

Only for you to say that it was against a programming principle.

What is the name of the principle and who propounded it if I may.

Or better still tell me how the above suggestion is related to big o and agile and redis?

If you choose to live in self-denial, my friend, it's your choice.
I wasn't having high expectations; anyway.
You win; I am done !!!
Re: Chatme, A Chat Messenger Application Develop By Nigerian Programmer by resosdigital(m): 3:53pm On May 04, 2019
makavele:

If you choose to live in self-denial, my friend, it's your choice.
I wasn't having high expectations; anyway.
You win; I am done !!!

There is nothing like self denial.

The question of whether a payment processor should be integrated into the chat app is for marketers.

Programmers would only come in when the question how? Is asked.
Re: Chatme, A Chat Messenger Application Develop By Nigerian Programmer by makavele: 3:56pm On May 04, 2019
resosdigital:

There is nothing like self denial.

The question of whether a payment processor should be integrated into the chat app is for marketers.

Programmers would only come in when the question how? Is asked.

And I gave an appropriate response.

When I delved into core programming; it was a digression meant for you and not the app creator.
and I made that clear multiple times.

Cheers.

p.s.: this is a programming board; not the Business one . . . Based on your suggestion; he shouldn't have posted such a question here.
Re: Chatme, A Chat Messenger Application Develop By Nigerian Programmer by Youngboss4you: 8:40pm On May 04, 2019
Just look at us africans! people that are supposed come together and think of something innovative, just look at how you guys are here insulting each other and boasting of yourselves.. Is this how we going to grow?? is this how we are planning to meet up with world standard by 2030? we should stop this shit and drop our pride by the side and face the real challenges, put heads together and solve real problems, we cant know it all. Really i dont expect this from us. Lets think matured.

My one pound.
Re: Chatme, A Chat Messenger Application Develop By Nigerian Programmer by resosdigital(m): 7:15pm On May 21, 2019
makavele:

Let's talk about this for a while and while we are at it; let's reason like adults . .

The snapchat application: what does it do? social connection
Instagram? what does it do? social connection

How about the paypal app? financial connection

and the Uber app? transportation connection . . .

Now imagine paypal starts to do snaps as a feature. so while sending money to your loved ones, you could add one or two "snaps" like like snapchat
or imagine, you could now use "instragram" to transfer money to somebody's paypal account.

It misses the objective; why the app existed in the first place . . . Try to incorporate another external feature and see it dead on arrival.
Facebook tried integrating p2p payments and taxi hailing into their app. Ask yourself how many times have you used facbook's p2p payment system. Then compare that with PayPal, skrill, perfectmoney, and crypto currencies (in their dedicated application).

And how many times have taxis being hailed using facebook?
How many times do people use the dedicated apps like Uber? Taxify?

Well, you get the idea.

Go back and read the SOLID principle of programming. It's not only for classes and methods; it extends into the overall Dev ops.
There was a hot debate here sometimes why Computer Science degree holders are way better than self-taught programmers. I chose to stay neutral but now I am beginning to reason along that line too. This is something any body would have learned in the fundamentals.
Self taught always think they have learnt it all cos they shipped a product; but they are missing the whole fundamentals.

Now feel free to counter my position; but do it nicely and not like that rabid dog; who has enough to purchase a daughter
but could not purchase his family out of poverty. He got his chance but missed it; and has been ignored since 6am today.
He will be e-buried in my collection of memes.

WhatsApp set to fully integrate payment feature into their chat app after successful trials in India.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/samshead/2019/05/08/facebook-plans-to-build-new-whatsapp-payments-feature-in-london/amp/

Over to you oga and your principles of programming
Re: Chatme, A Chat Messenger Application Develop By Nigerian Programmer by Nobody: 4:31am On May 22, 2019
makavele:

And I gave an appropriate response.

When I delved into core programming; it was a digression meant for you and not the app creator.
and I made that clear multiple times.

Cheers.

p.s.: this is a programming board; not the Business one . . . Based on your suggestion; he shouldn't have posted such a question here.
Agbero mentioning core programming... What do you even know about core programming... With your village class resume
Re: Chatme, A Chat Messenger Application Develop By Nigerian Programmer by makavele: 4:57am On May 22, 2019
Nene iz a girl
Re: Chatme, A Chat Messenger Application Develop By Nigerian Programmer by aalphamuzammil: 3:14pm On Jun 01, 2021
makavele:

blah blah blah

and why must i spin up Redis for this simple laravel application; when I have mysql or sqlite? what the f*k is quicksort?
i could just do a "db connect" and "for each" the living daylight out of it.

And you get answers like "the world has moved on to non-relational databases" and you start googling again
"differences between relational and non relational databases"

The global coding and marking market size is estimated to generate revenues of around $7 billion by 2023. Check out what you should know about Code Refactoring in Agile

(1) (2) (Reply)

( At Present)"watch Lucy 2014 Online" #streaming / New Horizons Vs Hiit Vs Aptech - For Web Development & Programming Skills / Result Checking Portal For Pry N Secondary Schools

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.