Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,134 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:38 AM

Senate Summons IGP Mohammed Adamu Over Killings - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Summons IGP Mohammed Adamu Over Killings (11181 Views)

Senate Summons IGP, Wike, Over ‘One Chance’ Victim’s Death / IGP Mohammed Adamu Disbands SARS Nationwide (Video) / Fatoyinbo Vs Dakolos: IGP Mohammed Adamu Orders Case Transfer To Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate Summons IGP Mohammed Adamu Over Killings by timesfive: 8:26pm On Apr 25, 2019
The Senate has summoned the Inspector-General of Police(IG) to appear before the upper chamber and brief it on an increasing spate of killings in different parts of the country.

This followed a 10-prayer motion by Sen. Shehu Sani at plenary on Thursday.

The bill titled, “Senseless Killing of a Briton and Abduction of Three Others in a Holiday Resort in Kaduna State by Bandits” was co-sponsored by all other lawmakers.

The Senate also urged security agencies to immediately deploy drones and interceptors in tracking kidnappers that were asking for ransom.

It equally urged the Federal Government to set up an inter-agency task force to tackle cases of banditry and kidnapping in Kaduna, Katsina, Zamfara and Niger states.

Furthermore, the Upper Chamber urged security agencies to give special cover to foreign workers and tourists.

It also urged telecommunication companies to provide security agencies with information in areas where kidnappings were taking place.

Presenting the motion, Sani expressed concern over the spate of killings

Contributing, the Deputy President of the Senate, Ike Ekweremadu, said the creation of state police was one of the major solutions to cases of killings in the country.

He further urged kidnap victims to open up on the hideouts and activities of kidnappers, to assist security agencies in arresting them.

“Kidnap victims should learn to open up and narrate their ordeal so that their hideouts can be traced.

“For instance, some people were kidnapped some time ago and one of them was a customs officer.

“They manhandled him more than their other captors and the ransom demanded from him was more than that of others.

“As they kept beating him a lady advised him to pretend to be a fake customs officer and that was how they brought down the ransom from 10 million.

“From what has happened to the Briton it is time we tackle this menace. It is becoming an embarrassment to the country, so, if it means declaring an emergency it is necessary.

“We need to declare a national state of emergency to enable the government put in place measures to end this problem.”

Sen. Joshua Lidani(PDP-Gombe) said the development if not addressed as soon as possible would greatly affect tourism and investment, among others.

He said, “It has become a routine to observe a minute silence and it is disheartening.

“The implication of the spate of killings in the country is enormous. It affects tourism as countries might begin to warn their nationals against coming to Nigeria.

“Everyday we are inundated with reports on killing and kidnapping; in fact, armed robbery is no longer in vogue. If not tackled we will not have an investment in this country.

“Nigeria is becoming a killing field and this will have an effect on investment and tourism. We need to do something drastic, something unusual that we have not done before.

“We need to mobilise the military to those areas and we should not be shy of asking for help, “he said.

Sen. Babba Kaita(APC-Katsina) called for specific suggestions on how to tackle the problem.

He said it was a collective fight that must not be left for the Executive alone.

The lawmaker said, “we should marshal out plans from the chambers of this Senate to secure this country.”

The Deputy Minority Whip, Sen. Emmanuel Bwacha also called for the creation of state police.

He also called for synergy between the Nigeria Police Force (NPF) vigilance groups and locals of affected states, adding that such move would drastically reduce the menace.

“We also need massive military deployment to these flashpoints, as well as come up with capital punishments for these crimes.”

Sen. Kabiru Marafa (APC-Zamfara) said, ” the north is at war. Unless something is done, I am afraid that in the next two to three years, the situation might be out of control.

“This has become a business because there is technically no business in the north. The way forward is to fight corruption and set standards.”

Sen. Andrew Uchendu (APC-Rivers) said the major reason for the menace was the high level of unemployment.

He noted that “until our youth are engaged, this problem will continue”.

“We need to find appropriate economic policies to engage idle hands.”

The President of the Senate, Dr Bukola Saraki, said it was time workable solutions were employed to nip the problem in the bud.

’When we talk about the way forward, we need to be honest with ourselves because in addressing these issues we need to be frontal on what has led us to where we are today.

“We must look beyond our political parties and see it as a problem that all of us need to address.

“Where there is a fault, we must be bold enough to say where the fault is and where there are sanctions we must be bold as well to say so,” he said.

Saraki expressed optimism that with the new Police boss, the relationship between the National Assembly would improve.

He said, “you have all been in this chamber for one year and noticed that we could not even communicate, converse or engage with the Nigeria Police.

“You were all here when the Head of Police refused to even come before us.

“How can we work together to move things forward because, at the end of the day, we must begin to sit down with those in charge and discuss what we need to do.

On the death of Faye Mooney, the Briton killed in Kaduna recently, the president of the Senate said it was unfortunate.

“Here is a lady that used to work in Iraq and Kosovo and did not die until she came to Nigeria. That does not portray this country in a positive way at all.

“As the Deputy Senate President and Senator Lidani said, there are going to be questions of people coming to invest in a country like this.

On efforts made by the legislature in the past, Saraki said, “If you recollect we invited the heads of security agencies and directed them to submit to us what they need and there was no response till date.

“So, what I think is that we should take it up from here. We should not get discouraged.

“We should go back and review where we are and find a way for our committees to re-engage the heads of our security agencies,” he said.

source: https://www.titiloyeblog.com/2019/04/senate-summons-ig-over-killings.html

1 Like

Re: Senate Summons IGP Mohammed Adamu Over Killings by omoolorire(m): 8:54pm On Apr 25, 2019
Ok
Re: Senate Summons IGP Mohammed Adamu Over Killings by Gandollar(f): 9:10pm On Apr 25, 2019
History will be kind to the 8th Senate.

The sole reason why APC wants a rubber stamp Senate is to conceal their ineptitude and mis-governance.

Can a lawan Senate summon the IGP to explain his roles in the growing insecurities accross the nation as been witnessed today?

Can a lawan Senate summon the GMD of NNPC over unremitted monies to government coffers or to explain their roles in some ambiguous transactions?

Can a lawan Senate summon the comptroller of customers over unrestrained influx of arms into the country?

Can a lawan Senate summon the AGF over his roles in the reinstatement into office of a wanted criminal?

The list goes on and on...

42 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Senate Summons IGP Mohammed Adamu Over Killings by LibertyRep: 9:28pm On Apr 25, 2019
Let's see if this new IGP will respect the institution of the Senate. A rubber stamped legislature is a weak link and an albatross towards attaining an egalitarian society deeply rooted in democracy.

The Senate shouldn't however play to the gallery because it seems they are majorly concerned about the unfortunate death of the Briton. The reason for the invitation should be widened to include the senseless and unabated killings in Kaduna, Zamfara and other parts of the country.

11 Likes

Re: Senate Summons IGP Mohammed Adamu Over Killings by hisexcellency34: 9:29pm On Apr 25, 2019
If I'm the IGP, I won't answer them

2 Likes

Re: Senate Summons IGP Mohammed Adamu Over Killings by BuhariAdvocate: 9:40pm On Apr 25, 2019
They also ask IGP to provide special cover to foreign workers. This is a statement baffle me most. No wonder an Indian man told his fellow Nigerian co-worker he will
Kill him nothing would happen.

2 Likes

Re: Senate Summons IGP Mohammed Adamu Over Killings by NwaNimo1(m): 10:29pm On Apr 25, 2019
Senate dey summon.....hahaha...
Re: Senate Summons IGP Mohammed Adamu Over Killings by cosmatika(m): 10:29pm On Apr 25, 2019
Ok

1 Like

Re: Senate Summons IGP Mohammed Adamu Over Killings by NwaNimo1(m): 10:29pm On Apr 25, 2019
Senate dey summon.....hahaha
Re: Senate Summons IGP Mohammed Adamu Over Killings by Plaouse(m): 10:30pm On Apr 25, 2019
All these, just to tackle kidnappers, rubbers, etc.??

Here's an advice: give this people proper jobs then they will not have much of a reason to partake in such heinous acts.
Pay your security officials a reasonable salary, then they would be more than happy to tackle greedy and callous individuals.

I am Plaouse and i just want to make common sense :-)
Re: Senate Summons IGP Mohammed Adamu Over Killings by kponkedenge(m): 10:33pm On Apr 25, 2019
Wait..... so both the head of the military (COAS) and the IGP and Custom boss are all from the North?

2 Likes

Re: Senate Summons IGP Mohammed Adamu Over Killings by castrokins(m): 10:33pm On Apr 25, 2019
How Will Summoning Him End The Killings? How Has Senate Summons Change Anything In Nigeria?

Next Abeg!
Re: Senate Summons IGP Mohammed Adamu Over Killings by tstx(m): 10:34pm On Apr 25, 2019
Following

I build websites and I am based in Abuja, see my signature
Re: Senate Summons IGP Mohammed Adamu Over Killings by manomam: 10:35pm On Apr 25, 2019
History will Never forgive dis country called Nigeria, The land of generals without war, professors without discovery, politicians without ideology, wealth without prosperity, Religion without piety, Leaders without vision, The oppressed without worries, Courts without justice, Criminal without fear, History without honor, School without learning, Intellectual without thoughts, Artists without taste, Terrorist without identity, Appointees without life, Hunger without famine, Change without progress, Next level without foundation, Democracy without citizens, Unity without love, Heroes without sacrifice, Policies without plans, Crime without culprits, Saint without humility, Intergrity without performance, Wars without enemies, Billionaires without business, Youth without dreams, Elder without wisdom, ( the terrible truth about the truth

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senate Summons IGP Mohammed Adamu Over Killings by chesterlee(m): 10:41pm On Apr 25, 2019
hisexcellency34:
You arent

so shut up

3 Likes

Re: Senate Summons IGP Mohammed Adamu Over Killings by fatymore(f): 10:44pm On Apr 25, 2019
I am tired of the senseless killings. no where is safe again. people are just angry, heartless and violent.

God help us.

1 Like

Re: Senate Summons IGP Mohammed Adamu Over Killings by searchlight: 10:44pm On Apr 25, 2019
Plaouse:
killing is a religion in some part of the ZOO. like Sharia like killing. they should be allowed to practice their religion so long as it remain withing their territory. saraki you have done well as the president of the senate. you remain the best senate president since the return of democracy though zombies will think otherwise.

2 Likes

Re: Senate Summons IGP Mohammed Adamu Over Killings by searchlight: 10:48pm On Apr 25, 2019
kponkedenge:
Wait..... so both the head of the military (COAS) and the IGP and Custom boss are all from the North?
good morning sir

add the DSS boss, efcc boss, then president, senate president, speaker of the house, AGF, CJN, they head the executive, legislature and judiciary. we are lucky that Saraki and Dogara are liberal Northerners. if the 9th senate allows Lawan to emerge then it is over

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Summons IGP Mohammed Adamu Over Killings by Derealme(m): 10:52pm On Apr 25, 2019
Why are our leaders so foolish and devoid of reasoning and pity? Becos of the death of a Briton they summoned the IGP. What abt the killings, kidnapping and bantry of thousands of Nigerians?

These people never have a single Nigerian at heart. I SMH for Nigeria

Eyin oyinbo e wa fun mi Visa

3 Likes

Re: Senate Summons IGP Mohammed Adamu Over Killings by kponkedenge(m): 10:55pm On Apr 25, 2019
searchlight:
good morning sir

add the DSS boss, efcc boss, then president, senate president, speaker of the house, AGF, CJN, they head the executive, legislature and judiciary. we are lucky that Saraki and Dogara are liberal Northerners. if the 9th senate allows Lawan to emerge then it is over

And the whole southerners are quiet? I'm just noticing this now. SMH

1 Like

Re: Senate Summons IGP Mohammed Adamu Over Killings by Carlyboi(m): 10:56pm On Apr 25, 2019
So SARS killings isn’t alarming right!bunch of jokers with their lopsided train of thoughts inasmuch as I wanna hold brief and commiserate with the family of Briton killed securing the lives of our countrymen should be of utmost importance too as important as that of foreign nationals Bleep tourism!and I think the solution is in given stiffer punishments death penalty or life sentence for any convicted kidnapper and our law enforcement agents should be given full support and resources too

1 Like

Re: Senate Summons IGP Mohammed Adamu Over Killings by searchlight: 10:57pm On Apr 25, 2019
castrokins:
How Will Summoning Him End The Killings? How Has Senate Summons Change Anything In Nigeria?

Next Abeg!
sending the dullard back to daura would have changed something but zombies disagreed. we don't care if things changes or not they can continue the killing so long as it is up there where it use to be. they are over populated let the killing reduce their voting strength so the the votes of the enlightened minds will be determining factor on who wins presidential election

2 Likes

Re: Senate Summons IGP Mohammed Adamu Over Killings by Carlyboi(m): 11:00pm On Apr 25, 2019
searchlight:
good morning sir

Na today fowl grt yansh for back for this kwantry?in all honesty that shit don’t make any sense like how the f**k does blind men lead people who can see with their two eyes � or at least one functional eyes I’m smarter than any average northerner heading government agencies and parastatals in this country!

1 Like

Re: Senate Summons IGP Mohammed Adamu Over Killings by LZAA: 11:04pm On Apr 25, 2019
searchlight:
killing is a religion in some part of the ZOO. like Sharia like killing. they should be allowed to practice their religion so long as it remain withing their territory. saraki you have done well as the president of the senate. you remain the best senate president since the return of democracy though zombies will think otherwise.
Olawalesmarter wee attack u for this statement and say kanu has brainwashed u grin
Cc immhotep sarrki Adaibeku nwanyionitsha Afamed

1 Like

Re: Senate Summons IGP Mohammed Adamu Over Killings by searchlight: 11:06pm On Apr 25, 2019
Carlyboi:
Na today fowl grt yansh for back for this kwantry?in all honesty that shit don’t make any sense like how the f**k does blind men lead people who can see with their two eyes � or at least one functional eyes I’m smarter than any average northerner heading government agencies and parastatals in this country!
don't let zombies hear you ooo. buhari is the best president in the whole world behind Putin

1 Like

Re: Senate Summons IGP Mohammed Adamu Over Killings by Carlyboi(m): 11:32pm On Apr 25, 2019
searchlight:
don't let zombies hear you ooo. buhari is the best president in the whole world behind Putin
well I’m a pro Buhari or let me say I kinda like the man I think the grace he is enjoying in old age is strong gan but the man dey Bleep up big time especially with his all for the north mindless tribalistic and prejudicial appointments
Re: Senate Summons IGP Mohammed Adamu Over Killings by Brugo(m): 11:38pm On Apr 25, 2019
hisexcellency34:

The useless senators are just paying lip service to the nation. He should not even acknowledge their summons. Useless wasteful legislators.

The senators are in better position to broker peace within their communities but the lucre in Abuja has fried their brains.
Re: Senate Summons IGP Mohammed Adamu Over Killings by HeyCorleone(m): 11:41pm On Apr 25, 2019
LibertyRep:
Let's see if this new IGP will respect the institution of the Senate. A rubber stamped legislature is a weak link and an albatross towards attaining an egalitarian society deeply rooted in democracy.

The Senate shouldn't however play to the gallery because it seems they are majorly concerned about the unfortunate death of the Briton. The reason for the invitation should be widened to include the senseless and unabated killings in Kaduna, Zamfara and other parts of the country.

My fears exactly. Nigerians get killed like flies everyday and nothing happens but it takes the death of one Briton to get the attention of the Senate? It's rather unfortunate.
Re: Senate Summons IGP Mohammed Adamu Over Killings by slimfit1(m): 11:46pm On Apr 25, 2019
The President didn't notice that the world is watching his NO action on national security and our lawless police officers in Facebook Hollywood, but he believes the world want to see out useless Lawmakers shout at him.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Coalition Denies Report Of Death Of Four Fulani Herdsmen In Enugu / Governor Willie Obiano Heads Valedictory Exco Meeting. / EndSARS: Youth Members Of Lagos State Judiciary Panel Resume Sitting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.