Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,735 members, 7,806,010 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:11 AM

Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? (75695 Views)

THROWBACK PICTURE: Nigerian Women Being Taught How To Wash Clothes In 1915 / Meet The 10 Most Powerful Kings In Nigeria. / Beauty Of Middlebelt Nigerian Women (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? by naijasmost: 11:03pm On Sep 17, 2010
Abeg, help me settle this argument.

I was chatting with some friends about who the greatest Nigerians of all time were.
Granted, these were all guys.
But I was still very surprised that hardly any women were mentioned as part of the list!!!

Anh-anh? How far?

Is it to say we don't have any great Nigerian women?

Please, stop that breakdance.

Oya, 'Landers, help me settle these knuckleheads.

WHO ARE THE GREATEST NIGERIAN WOMEN OF ALL TIME?
From any era!

Some of the names that should make the list include:

Oluwafunmilayo Ransome-Kuti -
Ransome-Kuti's political activism led to her being described as the doyen of female rights in Nigeria and was regarded as “The Mother of Africa.”
Early on she was a very powerful force advocating for women's right to vote.

Obiageli Ezekwesili -
Co-founder of TRANSPARENCY INTERNATIONAL

Dora Akunyili
Director General of NAFDAC (National agency of Food and Drug Administration and Control)

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala
Former Finance Minister and Foreign Minister of Nigeria, notable for being the first woman to hold either of those positions.

WHICH OTHER WOMEN MAKE THE LIST OF 10 GREATEST NIGERIAN WOMEN OF ALL TIME!

(How about Sade, and Asha) undecided
Re: Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? by sbeezy8: 11:24pm On Sep 17, 2010
take off dora shes a joke
Re: Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? by googles: 11:28pm On Sep 17, 2010
Chimamanda dat wrote half of a yellow sun,purple hibiscus. . . cant remember her last name now  undecided

Agbani Darego  undecided
the first african miss world
Re: Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? by naijasmost: 11:53pm On Sep 17, 2010
googles, Nice one. Chimamanda Adichie.
Re: Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? by googles: 12:03am On Sep 18, 2010
naijasmost:

googles, Nice one. Chimamanda Adichie.

yea thanks. . . cant believe i forgot her name

shame embarassed

1 Like

Re: Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? by AloyEmeka5: 12:24am On Sep 18, 2010
[size=14pt]Nigerian history will not be complete without mentioning these women:[/size]

[size=14pt]Margareth Ekpo
Queen Moremi
Queen Amina
Flora Nwapa
[/size]
Re: Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? by naijasmost: 2:14am On Sep 18, 2010
Wow - Aloy+Emeka, nice one!

I can't lie - I didn't know some of these women! (shameface)  shocked

Flora Nwapa -Mother of modern African literature; first internationally published female African author (1966)

Margaret Ekpo - Nigerian women's rights activist and social mobilizer who was a pioneering female politician in the country's First Republic.

Queen Amina of Zaria - A fierce warrior who loved fighting.  She refused to marry like Queen Elizabeth the First of England, for the fear of losing power. She helped Zazzau (Zaria) become the center of trade and to gain more land.  The introduction of kola nuts into cultivation in the area is attributed to Amina.

Queen Moremi - I'm wondering about this one oh - her story sounds kind of fictional to me,  with no dates, and a particular slant toward making her heroic at the expense of another group of people.  Wondering if anyone can verify the true story of Queen Moremi.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moremi

Nice contributions,  keep it coming, pls!
Re: Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? by Nobody: 1:15pm On Sep 18, 2010
CHINYERE ONYENUCHEYA

ONYEKA ONWENU

MAGRET EKPO

DORA AKUYILLI
Re: Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? by Ife007(m): 1:35pm On Sep 18, 2010
My Favorites

Stella ObasanJo

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala
Re: Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? by naijasmost: 1:38pm On Sep 18, 2010
I MUST BE MENTAL TO NOT HAVE REMEMBERED ONYEKA ONWENU!!!!

macfarland - God bless you for that! grin

1 Like

Re: Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? by naijasmost: 1:39pm On Sep 18, 2010
sbeezy8 - LOLz! Haba, why now?

Wetin Mrs Dora do you?

No be Dora the explorer we dey yarn here oh! In case there was confusion,

LOL! shocked
Re: Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? by topsy1971: 1:45pm On Sep 18, 2010
FUNMILAYO RANSOME KUTI
MARY ONYALI
ONYEKA ONWENU
CHIOMA AJUNWA
BIMBO ODUKOYA
GRACE ALELE-WILLIAMS
JUSTICE BASSEY IKPEME
MARIA SOKENU
FLORA NWAKPA
PROF BOLANLE AWE
Re: Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? by AndreUweh(m): 1:59pm On Sep 18, 2010
NWAYIRIUWA: The leader of the 1929 Aba women Revolution.

1 Like

Re: Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? by denony(m): 2:43pm On Sep 18, 2010
TURAI YA'RADUA must be there
The only lady that held the whole Nigeria In control for some months
That lady must be named IRON LADY grin

1 Like

Re: Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? by Abuloma80(f): 2:49pm On Sep 18, 2010
@poster googles

Agbani Darego Undecided
the first african miss world

Sure, She is a product of Abuloma
Past, present & next gen we have them many at ABULOMA, (PRO UNITATE)!!
Re: Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? by ebhotejoe: 2:53pm On Sep 18, 2010
Grace Alele Williams
Stella Jibril
Chris Anyanwu
Queen Idia
Re: Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? by Redman44(m): 3:01pm On Sep 18, 2010
May Ellen Ezekiel [ MEE ] is one of the greatest women in Nigerian history. She was Richard Mofe Damijo's ex-wife and she died in 1996. Ezekiel was the publisher of the highly respected Classique Magazine [ No celebrity Magazine has matched the quality of Classique Magazine ] and she was also a solid novelist. She also had her TV show and was very popular and pretty. She remains the most accomplished Female Journalist and Publisher in Nigeria. Read up on her. Cheers.

www.vibes-extra..com

1 Like

Re: Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? by maimalari: 3:09pm On Sep 18, 2010
Catherine acholonu, maryam babangida
Re: Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? by denony(m): 3:14pm On Sep 18, 2010
I FORGOT,
MY MOTHER, SHE IS THE BEST MOTHER IN THE WORLD

1 Like

Re: Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? by Tcrack(m): 3:22pm On Sep 18, 2010
why has nobody mentioned OMO SEXY?
Re: Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? by Tcrack(m): 3:23pm On Sep 18, 2010
Redman44:

May Ellen Ezekiel [ MEE ] is one of the greatest women in Nigerian history. She was Richard Mofe Damijo's ex-wife and she died in 1996. Ezekiel was the publisher of the highly respected Classique Magazine [ No celebrity Magazine has matched the quality of Classique Magazine ] and she was also a solid novelist. She also had her TV show and was very popular and pretty. She remains the most accomplished Female Journalist and Publisher in Nigeria. Read up on her. Cheers.

www.vibes-extra..com
My mum really used to like her
Re: Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? by Nobody: 4:01pm On Sep 18, 2010
topsy1971:

FUNMILAYO RANSOME KUTI
MARY ONYALI
ONYEKA ONWENU
CHIOMA AJUNWA
BIMBO ODUKOYA
GRACE ALELE-WILLIAMS
JUSTICE BASSEY IKPEME
MARIA SOKENU
FLORA NWAKPA
PROF BOLANLE AWE
all of the above but bimbo odukoya,being the wife of a pastor and you also being a pastor does not make you great,it makes you a person of God
everyone apart from her on the list actually brought international recognition to Nigeria
chai,mary onyali(used to be in love with her then)
and to add my quota
Falilat Ogunkoya
that former sportscaster oon nta back in the day
Re: Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? by supereagle(m): 5:13pm On Sep 18, 2010
Cossy Ojiakor
Modupe Osuala
These two are notable for show breast.

Do not forget the late wife of Abiola - Kudi Abiola who challenged Abacha Regime.
Ganiat Fawehinmi, a great woman who challenged IBB when IBB puts the husband in Gashua, that experience accelerated the death of her husband.

1 Like

Re: Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? by Nobody: 5:20pm On Sep 18, 2010
Shirley bassey??
Re: Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? by LeStylo: 5:31pm On Sep 18, 2010
History would always remember these women ever:

1. MRS OLUFUNMILAYO RANSOME-KUTI - Uncontestable and uncontested!
2. QUEEN AMINA OF ZARIA - The most powerful woman warior in the history of Nigeria
3.  MARGRET EKPO - Foremost activist
4.  MARY ONYALI - Queen of the tracks
5.  HAJIA GAMBO SAWABA - Dont know any woman politician who suffered torture and abuse for democracy and human rights like she did in the past century, get her story
6.  EFUNSATAN ANUWURA - Iyalode Ibadan
7.  FLORA NWAPA - writer and publisher
8.  KUDIRAT ABIOLA - Fight for democracy in Nigeria
9.  DR. MRS BOLANLE AWE - foremost and internationally professor of sociology and head Institute of African Studies. Under her nose, the institute used to be one of the best globally.
10. SUSAN WENGER - Nationalised high priest of the Osun shrine. She brought osun shrine into the UNESCO World Heritage sites

RUNNERS UP:
1. OBY EZEKWESILI - Personnally met her in 2005. She's a women of undiluted originality, simplicity and focus.
2. AGBANI DAREGO - Beauty queen
3. BIMBO DUKOYA - Pastor
4. ADICHIE CHIMAMANDA - writer
5. CHIOMA AJUNWA - athletic
6. MODUPE OSIKOYA - first woman medalist in international athletics event
7. DORA AKUNYILI - we know nah! Madam rebranding. She's been quiet of late sha
8. ONYEKA ONWENU - musician
9. NGOZI OKONJO-IWEALA - the only minister paid in dollars during obj's regime for "special" reasons. it rubbished her high economic reform claims but she's still popular sha.
10. CHRIS ANYAWU - this one na all-rounder. writer, publisher, human rights fighter, politician, senator infact everything except soldier!
11. BUCHI EMECHETA - writer
12. MAJOR GEN. DERONKE KALE - dis one be correct soldier. first of its kind.
13. QUEEN IDIA - go read history
14. MOREMI AJOSORO - another history
15. GRACE ALELE WILLIAMS - VC Uniben, of the first Phd Holders in 9ja.
16. MADAM TINUBU - slave trade abolitionist
17. ABIKE DABIRI - senator of the federal republic, brought to limelight by her weekend news prog - newsweek.
18. MARYAM BABANGIDA - sentiments apart, she makes the runners-up list. First first lady officially of the federal republic.
19. FUNMI ADAMS/NKEM OSELOKA ORAKWE - child development with songs and story telling (remember TALES BY MOONLIGHT) respectively
20. Who e for be??!! Na MY MAMA - Best Mama in the world!

Think this is a comprehensice list. Any doubters? and why|?  grin

2 Likes

Re: Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? by Bolarge1(m): 6:33pm On Sep 18, 2010
oooh! Una no no book ooo. what of MY MOTHER?

O SHE IS FORVER THE BEST! BLESS U MOM.

1 Like

Re: Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? by Nobody: 7:16pm On Sep 18, 2010
My Mom kiss first others follows. But since there is not others,  It got to be "My Momma kiss all the way"
Re: Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? by Nobody: 7:36pm On Sep 18, 2010
kudirat abiola
bimbo odukoya
onyeka onwenu
AND OF COS MY ONE AND ONLY MOTHER cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? by Goldenmeda(m): 8:05pm On Sep 18, 2010
Sarah Sosan
Remi Tinubu
kudirat Abiola
Simbiat Abiola
Lady Kofo Ademola
Toyin Adewale
Prof. Gabriel
Mercy Akide
Re: Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? by oneluvb55(f): 8:09pm On Sep 18, 2010
and many odas
Re: Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? by kadman(m): 8:10pm On Sep 18, 2010
Cheif Mrs Nike Oshinowo.
Re: Who Are The 10 Greatest Nigerian Women Of All Time? by sam4(m): 8:31pm On Sep 18, 2010
What of Bunmi etteh?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Who Knows Any Igbo Name That Starts With Letter P? / Alaafin Of OYO With Yoruba Descendants In Brazil (pictures) / Princess Inikpi Buried Alive, Sacrificed For Survival Of The Igala Nation. Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.