Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,364 members, 7,808,269 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:39 AM

Who Do You Think Is The Most Influential Black Man To Have Ever Lived ? - Politics (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Do You Think Is The Most Influential Black Man To Have Ever Lived ? (54082 Views)

Aisha Yesufu Makes BBC's 100 Most Influential Women In The World / Men Of Power: Nigeria’s Most Influential Power Brokers / See How One Man, Kwankwaso Became Most Influential Politician In Africa - Momodu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Do You Think Is The Most Influential Black Man To Have Ever Lived ? by Amujale(m): 11:35pm On Apr 26, 2019
Blankstare:
W.E.B Dubois....

I agree with you here.
Re: Who Do You Think Is The Most Influential Black Man To Have Ever Lived ? by datigbogirl: 12:23am On Apr 27, 2019
OkunrinOloro:
And who ended slavery?

Samuel Ajayi Crowther was sold by Fulani Slave traders and rescued by the British.

Go and read some history books and stop making excuses for black complicity in the Slave Trade.

Even to this day, who is selling black women into sexual slavery on the streets of Europe?

I should add living in denial to the black man's list of negative attributes.

And who were doing the buying? You're on a long tin if you think slavery has or will ever end in the world. What has ended is the name given to it. Now it's called human trafficking.

Everywhere in the world there are good and bad people, not races. It is wrong to conclude blacks are solely responsible for their enslavement, when we have the same black men like Martin Luther King Jr. getting executed in broad day light in their fight against slavery. Or you think without the efforts of these people, the whites will solely end slavery and handover to us our freedom?

Despite the slavery, there were whites who were against it and blacks who encouraged it. Same way as there were blacks and whites who were vice-versa. Even some whites would have sold themselves if necessity presented itself. Americans were enslaved by the Europeans, you wanna tell me they too didn't sell themselves off as well? Yet they're the greatest country in the world today.

Read on the Blalock-Thomas-Taussig shunt for the repair of congenital heart diseases. A black man who was an apprentice of the white doctor was the brain behind developing the shunt, but due to the apartheid (suitable word) in the world then and the position of the black man, the white man got all the credit for the surgical procedure. I won't put this rape past the other great scientists you mentioned earlier either.

Don't give in to the white man's speech that there's something specially depraved about the black man, cos that exactly is the slave mindset they always plant and hope will germinate in people, which however does only in the undiscerning.

There are good & bad ppl not races. Only a racist will think otherwise either he's black or white. And yes one is still a racist if he's licking the white man's butt and kicking down his own root, even without receiving help from the white man.

More like a self-enslaved and misled racist.

3 Likes

Re: Who Do You Think Is The Most Influential Black Man To Have Ever Lived ? by Daejoyoung: 6:00am On Apr 27, 2019
Amujale:

Teach!

With great reference to your findings above, Africa owns the first known literate communities on the planet.

Presently, African historians and academics have discovered in all sorts of locations, ancient written text belonging to various African communities. U.N.E.S.C.O is aware of these discoveries.

Contrary to what most Eurocentric and Arab scholars assume, most mainland Africans are infact probably born literate. According to African linguistics, more scripts have been discovered in Africa than America , Asia & Europe combined.

Totaly nine major African scripts are presently discovered not includng Arabic e.g Akan, Meroitic, the above txt (hieroglyphics)e.t.c . More than anywhere else.

Then why weren't all these preserved? l believe the strength of western civilisation today comes from the fact that after the fall of the Roman Empire, the barbarians who conquered Rome also converted to Catholicism(the Roman religion of the era) and thus were also devoted to the Pope, with that Europe was born and the writings of various western philosophers and scientists were preserved for the western world to build on.
But the African story like most of other civilisations seem to be different in that when the states conquer each other (especially when inferior states take over the greater empires)they also throw away the philosophies and ideas of the conquered states and do not preserve or build on those cultures and achievements.
Re: Who Do You Think Is The Most Influential Black Man To Have Ever Lived ? by EdiAbali: 6:03am On Apr 27, 2019
obentenyson:
while ojukwu was a terrorist.... Dumb f...k

Fela was an agbero, you people worship touts
Re: Who Do You Think Is The Most Influential Black Man To Have Ever Lived ? by Nobody: 6:06am On Apr 27, 2019
TheIkoro:

After how many years in prison? I'll advise you to spend in prison just half the number of years he spent in prison, before you repeat this judgment.

A lot of you people either have faulty memories or faulty reasoning faculties. Thus, the lunacy that has so many of you condemn those of the men that lived their lives on earth building Houses to The Glory of GOD - condemnation that turns deaf ears and blind eyes to the abuse each had to endure, as he did so.

You are one of the very ignorant few. So spending 27 years in prison removes the capacity to make bad judgements or get compromised ? Note that I used the word 'few' to describe the group of hare brained idiots that think like you.
Re: Who Do You Think Is The Most Influential Black Man To Have Ever Lived ? by Nobody: 6:24am On Apr 27, 2019
InyinyaAgbaOku:

So, why are we saying the west overhyped him for us?

They did because he made bad judgements to accept a deal after those who were imprisoned with him were sidelined. They hyped him up because he was the only party willing to accept their deal that ensured the protection of their interests.

Hyping Mandela created an aura of divinity around him like your Pastors do such that it becomes a taboo to challenge his decisions. Its social engineering.

Even his wife who was closest to him then told the world "he let us down"
Re: Who Do You Think Is The Most Influential Black Man To Have Ever Lived ? by hermesprogidy(m): 7:00am On Apr 27, 2019
LeoFish92:

Make una dey fear God as una dey spread wrong information to the public.

2pac was 25 years old when he was gunned down.
My bad, that was a typo.
Re: Who Do You Think Is The Most Influential Black Man To Have Ever Lived ? by hermesprogidy(m): 7:01am On Apr 27, 2019
LeoFish92:

Make una dey fear God as una dey spread wrong information to the public.

2pac was 25 years old when he was gunned down.
Typo. He was 25.
Re: Who Do You Think Is The Most Influential Black Man To Have Ever Lived ? by hermesprogidy(m): 7:02am On Apr 27, 2019
989900:

Tupac was deep, very deep, forget about Pac's music, watch Pac's interviews -- that's your real Tupac!

BTW, he was 25/26 when he left.

My favourite artist (personally, I'm more influenced by him than anyone on that list, but that doesn't speak for the larger population: the entire human race); not in my top ten most influential Black individual though.
21 was a typo. Thanks for spotting that.

1 Like

Re: Who Do You Think Is The Most Influential Black Man To Have Ever Lived ? by TheIkoro(m): 7:38am On Apr 27, 2019
Amujale:

The first black man to be in receipt of the prestigious "Noble Prize" is Ralph Bunche.

Ralph Bunche received the Noble Peace Prize in 1950;

followed by Albert John Luthuli Noble Peace Prize1960;

followed by Martin Luther Jnr the youngest black male Noble Peace Prize winner in 1964;

followed by W.Arthur Lewis Noble Prize in Economic Sciences 1979;

followed by Desmond Tutu Noble Peace Prize 1984;

followed by Wole Soyinka, first black man, first black person to win the Noble Prize for Literature; winning in 1986;

fast forward...e.t.c ...

Wangari Maathai first black woman and first enviromentalist to win a Noble Prize; Noble Peace Prize 2004;

followed by Barak Obama Noble Peace Prize 2009;

followed by the joint recipients of the 2011 Noble Peace Prize, Ellen Johnson Sirleaf and Leymah Gbowee, respectively.

followed by Denis Mukwe Noble Peace Prize 2018.

In my opinion Ralph Bunch doesnt deserve to on the list mainly because he won as a result of his expertise in creating the fabled organisation known as the "United Nations". Much of his great achievements are unAfrican or anti-African; nothing that favours or elevates Africa or the people of Africa.

If you are refering to Wole Shoyinka then he doesnt qualify for the same reason Barak Obama doesnt qualify; inconclusive; because they are both young and living legends and have so much more to give us still.

I WAS referring to Wole Soyinka. I'll do my own research to try and confirm whether or not he's the first black person to win the Nobel Prize in Literature - or in absolutely any field, as I initially thought. But, be that as it may, my allegation still stands. And your excuse does not.

Wole Soyinka is in no way near being young, he's almost ninety years old - eighty-five, as of this year; if Wikipedia is to be believed. And that not one of you all could think to mention EVEN ONCE a Nobel Laureate (THE FIRST BLACK NOBEL LAUREATE - even if only in Literature) as one of those black men that have influenced you the most, makes me have to re-state my allegation.

Do have a re-think over the type of values you have.
Re: Who Do You Think Is The Most Influential Black Man To Have Ever Lived ? by Nobody: 8:02am On Apr 27, 2019
Saraki.�������

1 Like

Re: Who Do You Think Is The Most Influential Black Man To Have Ever Lived ? by Amujale(m): 9:00am On Apr 27, 2019
TheIkoro:

I WAS referring to Wole Soyinka. I'll do my own research to try and confirm whether or not he's the first black person to win the Nobel Prize in Literature - or in absolutely any field, as I initially thought. But, be that as it may, my allegation still stands. And your excuse does not.

Wole Soyinka is in no way near being young, he's almost ninety years old - eighty-five, as of this year; if Wikipedia is to be believed. And that not one of you all could think to mention EVEN ONCE a Nobel Laureate (THE FIRST BLACK NOBEL LAUREATE - even if only in Literature) as one of those black men that have influenced you the most, makes me have to re-state my allegation.

Do have a re-think over the type of values you have.

I dont know what your argument is all about.

In my opinion the op's question dictates how to determine the list.

"Who Do You Think Is The Most Influential Black Man To Have Ever Lived?"

Since your initial comment, I am the first to respond and as such acknowledge Wole Soyinka for his genius.

Wole Soyinka is up there as one the most influential black men in the world today. I know his age yet its in my opinion that hes still young and has much more to give us.

Wole Soyinka is the first person to have introduced me to the African narrative. Without his genius, and thankfully for me and countless people that he has touched with his intellect; that i probably would not have been quick to determine the falsities peddled by "Western" and Asiatic rhetoric.

My appreciation of Wole Soyinka and his great and inspiring works on Literature and beyond knows no bound.
Re: Who Do You Think Is The Most Influential Black Man To Have Ever Lived ? by RedboneSmith(m): 9:51am On Apr 27, 2019
uchenageme:

Today we know the major races in the world. So according to your hypothesis, which race do the ancient Egyptians belong to? Or are you suggesting that their kinds have gone into extinction and no longer exist in today's society?

I do not subscribe to a binary (or three-part) classification of human races that classifies everyone as black or white or yellow. No modern anthropologist subscribes to that anymore.

If Ancient Egyptians are around today, they will be placed in that heterogenous category we call "people of color". Or we would call them brown people, another heterogenous category.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Do You Think Is The Most Influential Black Man To Have Ever Lived ? by RedboneSmith(m): 9:53am On Apr 27, 2019
Amujale:

That is royally incorrect. Any one with an iotta of common sense cannot deny the fact that ancient Egyptians are black.

The above painting is a "fraud" probably commisioned by Eurocentrics like Alexander "the not so great" and the Ptolemy Dynasty.

According to African history, Ancient Egypt betrayed Africa and got eaten up by the combined forces of Asia and Europe.

Mainland Africa refused to defend KM.T because of their stupendous betrayal. Instead of facing inwards and paying back their dues to the continentals that created KM.T in the first place, they instead chose to befriend the Asians and Europeans; so much so that Ancient Egypt sided with the enemy and launch countless failed attempts to conquer the mainland thanks to the people of modern day Sudan who fought and won all and every attempt.

Asia and Europe controlled Ancient Egypt far back 800 B.C.E so they had ample time to try and re-create their version of African history i.e the fraudulent picture you peddle; however the truth will always eventually OUT.

And the truth is out, everyone living in the world during the heights of the Ancient Egyptians clearly tell us tbat they are black and African. Some called them Nubia, Ethopian or simply black and African.

They depicted themselves as black African

Even your picture shows the reddish-brown Egyptian type and the black Nubian type.

Please I am not interested in rehashing this really old subject. For the umpteenth time, believe what you want. I am okay with that.

1 Like

Re: Who Do You Think Is The Most Influential Black Man To Have Ever Lived ? by Amujale(m): 10:09am On Apr 27, 2019
RedboneSmith:

Even your picture shows the reddish-brown Egyptian type and the black Nubian type...

Goes to show your ignorance on Egyptology.

Its a known common cultural practice of the KM.T they sometimes paint themselves with thier favourite cherished colours

Ancient Egyptian men if not depicted with their true colours black, brown or bronze; sometimes depict tbemselves with the colour red-brown - meant as to symbolize Life, Fire, Victory, Anger, Hostility and Vhaos.

Ancient Egyptian women if not depicted with their true colours black, brown or bronze; sometimes depict tbemselves with the colour yellow-brown - meant as to symbolize Imperishable, Eternal and Indestructible.
Re: Who Do You Think Is The Most Influential Black Man To Have Ever Lived ? by Thunday1005(m): 11:43am On Apr 27, 2019
Martin Luther jnr

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Do You Think Is The Most Influential Black Man To Have Ever Lived ? by Kinjikitile(m): 10:49pm On Apr 27, 2019
Lyoncrescent:
Thomas Sankara is the only African i am inspired by and thus the most influential with his ideologies.
��Tom Sank... The revolutionary of Burkina-Faso ... Murdered in a bloody coup ,, by his best friend Blasie compaore .. it's quite sorrowful that Blaise was a member of Thomas Sanakare Cabinet ,, Thomas Sanakare elevated him ,, not knowing that Blasie compaore is his nemesis..

Even You Brutus�����������

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Do You Think Is The Most Influential Black Man To Have Ever Lived ? by Nostradamus: 1:59am On May 02, 2019
A lot..

Whitney houston

Oprah winfrey

Martin luther king

Lebron james

Our own beautiful folorunsho alakija.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Do You Think Is The Most Influential Black Man To Have Ever Lived ? by dia4iam(m): 6:36pm On May 18, 2019
Influential people must be people with ideas that is not popular among the majority, but who held on to it anyway up until others saw the light in the idea. I don't know of any other African of this milieu with such pristine idea, other than Fela. Fela is still widely misunderstood till date and those who do understand him and in some ways mirror his beliefs are seen by others as being odd. Nelson mandela of South Africa might have been a better option, but for the fact that he was a politician, and all politicians are liars.
Re: Who Do You Think Is The Most Influential Black Man To Have Ever Lived ? by DabuIIIT: 6:43pm On May 18, 2019
tohyorsih2:
Gen. Sanni Abacha

Maj Kaduna Nzeogbu
grin
Re: Who Do You Think Is The Most Influential Black Man To Have Ever Lived ? by JonDon12: 7:09pm On May 18, 2019
Nnamdi Azikiwe. The Godfather of Politics and Media not just in Nigeria but in West Africa.
Re: Who Do You Think Is The Most Influential Black Man To Have Ever Lived ? by Nobody: 8:22pm On May 18, 2019
DabuIIIT:

Maj Kaduna Nzeogbu
grin

lol grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Do You Think Is The Most Influential Black Man To Have Ever Lived ? by hansomb: 9:14pm On Nov 25, 2019
Nowenuse:

A complete way of life, founded by the Arabs and based on Arabic culture and language? What nonsense.

A religion that claims that Arabic is a divine and superior language because this was the language of the prophet? Tell me about equality.

You see a full fledged black man drop all his unique African ancestral cultural names and aswer a name like AHMED MOHAMMED ABDULLAHI. (Purely Arabic names), is that not madness?
Islam does not forbids good culture and traditions. Talking about language, Arabic happens to be the official language and it's a language which is different to most languages. Having an Arabic name is not a bad thing as all have their meanings unlike most English names.
Re: Who Do You Think Is The Most Influential Black Man To Have Ever Lived ? by hansomb: 9:16pm On Nov 25, 2019
MissRaine69:

You are very very deluded.
No am not.
Re: Who Do You Think Is The Most Influential Black Man To Have Ever Lived ? by Timatayo1: 9:38pm On Nov 25, 2019
Bubu
Re: Who Do You Think Is The Most Influential Black Man To Have Ever Lived ? by Dedetwo(m): 9:58pm On Nov 25, 2019
Nobody because no human being is "Black". The caption of the thread is inhumanly goofy.
Re: Who Do You Think Is The Most Influential Black Man To Have Ever Lived ? by wirinet(m): 10:47pm On Nov 25, 2019
hansomb:

Islam does not forbids good culture and traditions. Talking about language, Arabic happens to be the official language and it's a language which is different to most languages. Having an Arabic name is not a bad thing as all have their meanings unlike most English names.
And why should a Yoruba man have an Arab name? What makes Arabic different from other languages like Hebrew, Greek or Chinese?

I now see why the Chinese need to re-orient Chinese muslims in camps. The Islamic religion makes one subservient to other countries, languages and cultures, thereby laying allegiance to another country.
Some of my countrymen would rather fight the cause of Israel or Saudi Arabia instead of Nigeria's cause.
Re: Who Do You Think Is The Most Influential Black Man To Have Ever Lived ? by Rosskiki: 11:43pm On Nov 25, 2019
immhotep:

Pharaoh Tutankhamen
www.nairaland.com/attachments/9260844_tutblackegypt_jpeged06cf847f64ceba62fed2e9a8ab35bc

Interesting choice. King Tut was an absolute icon in the ancient world.

Son of Pharaoh Akhenaten, Tutankhamen become Pharaoh of Egypt at the age of 8.

But of course he was guided by a vizier. smiley

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Do You Think Is The Most Influential Black Man To Have Ever Lived ? by Nobody: 2:47am On Nov 26, 2019
-

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Policeman Uses Ballot Box To Wash Uniform In Bayelsa (Photo) / Zahra Ado Bayero Bridal Shower Photos / INEC Begins Signature Collection For Mojisola Alli Macaulay Recall

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.