Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,339 members, 7,780,890 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:58 AM

Backyard Gardening Frugal And Fun - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Backyard Gardening Frugal And Fun (598 Views)

Gardening: How To Water Plants For A Month At No Cost (Pictures) / Gardening On My Balcony - Tomatoes, Pepper, Groundnut, Ugu, Snail and Catfish / Saving Some Cost By Gardening--without Limits (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Backyard Gardening Frugal And Fun by atnerjennac24(f): 4:32pm On Apr 26, 2019

I began a container garden last month, and was dismayed to realize once the foliage came in for real, I have almost no sun in my yard. This is our first spring in our home, and I was hoping for the best.

Then, as fortune would have it, I noticed my neighbor has a huge sunny yard and garden area. I complimented him on the huge yard, and he mentioned that he didn’t have time to put in a garden this year, and that I was welcome to use his garden plot.

So now I am enjoying my backyard gardening adventure … in someone else’s backyard. I’ve planted ten heirloom tomato plants, four cucumber vines, a half dozen pepper plants and nine cantaloupes. I have a whole row of sweet corn in and my sister planted four rows of pole beans. I also have 175 onions planted and squash and zucchini and pumpkins, many still seedlings that need to be transplanted.

My sister and I are working together on the garden, and look forward to a summer of fresh, organically grown produce … for pennies a pound, compared to the expensive produce in the stores and even at the farmers’ markets.

Gardening is one way that I live more frugally. Frugal living is back in vogue as of late, and for many families, finding ways to stretch a dollar has taken on new importance.

Growing your own garden means budget meals can be more nutritious and enjoyable. A summer meal of garden salad, fresh tomatoes and sweet corn costs very little when you grow it yourself. Add in hamburgers and homemade rolls and you’re still eating very cheaply.

Do you have a garden this year? How do you incorporate home grown or locally grown produce into your budget meal plan?

Learn more at: morninghomestead
Re: Backyard Gardening Frugal And Fun by PlayerMeji: 4:59pm On Apr 26, 2019
Good one

1 Like

Re: Backyard Gardening Frugal And Fun by GucciCat(m): 10:20pm On Sep 04, 2020
I am very glad that you are doing this. Yes, I also have my own small garden, which I adore. When my family and I were looking for a new home to buy, a small garden was a must. I really love to take care of plants. I think fresh fruits and vegetables in summer are a great reward for your efforts. The food that is grown in the garden is very different in taste from the food that we usually buy in stores (I think you noticed this too). I do not spare money for my garden and invest quite large sums in it. For example I recently completely updated all my tools. My most important acquisition was the Cordless Hedge Trimmer , which made it easier to care for apple trees as well as pear trees. I'm really looking forward to next summer to enjoy the fresh cucumber and tomato salad again. This is my favorite summer treat smiley

(1) (Reply)

Fresh Jumbo Size Eggs / Breeds And Varieties Of Chicken / I Need This Product Urgently

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.