Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,836 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:32 AM

Marriage Squeeze: Is This Only An African American Woman's Problem? - Culture (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Marriage Squeeze: Is This Only An African American Woman's Problem? (18245 Views)

Eight Bad Sides Of An African Man You Probably Don't Know / I Hate Being An African American Woman / Why Am I Often Approached By African Men? (An African-American Woman) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Re: Marriage Squeeze: Is This Only An African American Woman's Problem? by vronnie(f): 4:57am On May 13, 2007
I think people can marry who ever they please but me myself I love a black man his nationality really does not matter .But i can say I'm not attracted to the white man .
Re: Marriage Squeeze: Is This Only An African American Woman's Problem? by Imani(f): 10:50pm On Jun 13, 2007
People should be able to marry who they want. As the world becomes more global and people are exposed to different cultures and people, therefore intercultural, interace marriage are bound to increase. Even the law can't dictate who you should marry.

While people have their own preferences, but i do understand the female frustration with the number of eligible black men marrying outside the black race. Some single women are not single by choice. But like someone suggested, maybe it is time for the black woman to explore other races too. That way the marriage squeeze issue problem can be "minimised".
Re: Marriage Squeeze: Is This Only An African American Woman's Problem? by Adeniki(f): 9:26am On Jun 28, 2011
I am sad that racial divisions should be such as issue. I completely understand the need to perpetuate a beautiful culture, when I find my prince (he's out there somewhere, he just doesn't know it yet!) I would want to understand his heritage, his culture, everything that makes him who he is. Equally I would want him to feel the same way for me. And we can meld the best aspects of our cultures to give to our children. Yes, only someone from my culture can understand my culture, but no-one, even if they lived next door to me all my life, can truly understand my perception of my culture. And sometimes we need another's view to help us see which things would not benefit from being passed on to the next generation. Sometimes a fusion is as beautiful as a pedigree, sometimes not, and sometimes more so.

The real problem is the division it causes among peoples from all races and cultures. I see people forming relationships across racial lines facing harassment from both sides: a white woman dating a black man is often viewed as possessing negligible virtue by both white men and women, and black men and women. They may often be seen as contaminating the gene pool, while the man may face similar derogatory attitudes - 'he's only in it because she's easy' 'he's too weak to handle his own race' 'he's been blinded by Western views that white is right'. These are not my views, but they are views I have heard expressed regarding this situation.

Truth is, the most beautiful relationship is one where both parties love each other and are committed to each other, and want to understand more fully everything that makes their partner who they are.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Lost Girl Found Wandering Around Emir's Palace In Gombe State. Photo / Igbos Vs Yorubas: Similarities In Diversity / NO Nigerian Language Has A Literal Translation For “I Am Sorry”!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.