Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,347 members, 7,808,212 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:50 AM

Why I'm No Longer A 'christian.' - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why I'm No Longer A 'christian.' (953 Views)

Please Who Has This Song "Born To Win, Born To Reign In Life, I'm No Ordinary Pe / I'm No Longer An Atheist - DMT Experience / I'm No Longer An Atheist. Finally Found God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I'm No Longer A 'christian.' by Anger9(m): 8:27pm On Apr 28, 2019
These are words I thought I might never have to utter publicly, but feel it's about time, as people are already beginning to connect me with atheism.

I believe in people's right to self-determination, to choose which God to worship or even decide to doubt his existence. I have many wonderful friends who identify with atheism. I respect them. Heck, I've met Atheists who have a higher moral compass than some 'Christians' I know, Atheists who are more inclined to protect my interest and see me elevated.

I've been privileged to live in a European country with a predominantly atheistic population, who are more economically and technologically advanced, have far less viscous tendencies, show more compassion and respect to their fellow humans, than countries where almost everyone professes to be religious and holy. I've learned to believe that economic development is a higher enabler of morality than religion. It's extremely difficult for people to be poor and moral at the same time, no matter how religious.

I like atheists, I respect them, but I don't agree with them. I've made these clear through many of my writings. But now it seems I'm one myself, at least that's the public persona I've unwittingly created. I'm no longer a 'Christian,' by the standards of today's Christianity, merely based on my criticisms of organized Christianity in this country.

Do I have a problem with organized religion? Yes, I do! Spoiler alert: there's a man from Galilee who also vehemently opposed organized religion whose tenets were not established on Gods law. He's called Jesus the Messiah, and his approach was much more radical. It might surprise you to know that just the other day, he went to a 'church' to angrily whip some 'worshippers' out. Yes, he did that.

Given that over 70 million of our citizens identify as Christian, do you ever feel the essence of this identity in our socio-political endeavors? If after all these years, which translates into countless hours of prayer and worship, the impact on our development has been largely negligible (if not counter progressive), then, most likely, something is not working. Something is wrong! The logical thing to do is to question our approach at least. I have numerous questions that I, unfortunately, can't keep to myself, and that makes me an atheist.
Now don't get me wrong, I don't see anything wrong with Jesus's message of love, peace, and hope, I see a lot wrong with the church today.

Do I attend church? Yes, I do, but occasionally. Lately, I've elected myself to attend church once a month. Of course, I know that means I'm no longer a Christian. Good Christians go to church every Sunday, spend, sometimes, up to 5 hours worshipping God and 'fellowshipping' with people they pretend to like. People they have no interest in and no inclination to see become successful, people they would brush aside should they meet on a Monday, especially if they do not attend the same church.

I believe many Christians spend this much time in the church because it makes us feel good and holy. We've reduced Christianity to a set of rituals instead of a set of character and attitude! And because it's been reduced to a set of outward rituals, people perceived to be judiciously performing these rituals are considered good Christians. For instance, a politician who steals from the state and makes hefty donations to the church is given the best seat and the most majestic title. Forget about the fact that his corrupt practices are the reason others won't make it to heaven.

A person who prays in 5873 tongues is considered spiritual, even if they are a different species from Monday to Friday (if you want to know who a real Christian is, ask the cleaners and security guards at their offices). A person who attends every prayer meeting and partakes in every fasting is expected to make the first entry through the pearly gates, forget about the fact that he/she shows no love or compassion to their fellow human beings.

Outward rituals have only one purpose: to receive praise from man. We all have a natural proclivity to acting this way because it's socially desirable. This explains why a new species of Nigerians are born each Sunday morning and die on Monday mornings, only to be reincarnated on Sunday mornings, and this cycle of life continues till thy kingdom come.

But I'm afraid God turned this 'doctrine' upside down when He said he's more concerned about what's inside a person's heart than what they pretend to be on the outside. By attending church once a month, I consciously condition my mind into accepting that church is wherever I find myself. I know, I know, it's written somewhere in the Bible not to forsake the gathering together of the saints, but isn't it also written that "where two or three are gathered in my name, behold I'm there also"? The church is what happens when you meet the cleaner and security guard at your office entrance. When you attend to the desperate citizen needing assistance at the government ministry, you're employed when you a reasonable contract signing as a representative of the state when you give the job to the young lady based on her qualifications, not your selfish sexual desires...Of course, I'm not a Christian because I talk about stuff like these.

I believe Church is not what happens when you're sitting in an Airconditioned room and listening to a sermon you're most likely to forget before it's over. The church is you! Haven't we read that our our bodies are the temple of God? Of course, we have! But somehow the only message many of us got from that text is in its relation to sin. Hardly heard anyone say, "because my body is the temple of God (which by extension means my body is a church) I ought to exude love and goodness to others, wherever I am."

Also, (and here's perhaps the best representation of my atheism) I think many of the so-called 'men of God' are only inspired by economics and not a desire for the things of God. They are not "prophets" because they love God. They are 'prophets' because they love money. Their 'calling' is an economic necessity, an entrepreneurial avenue. Over 70 million-plus Christians is a big economy, and it's only natural that people would have the incentives to want to cash in.

And the good thing is, the government incentivizes this 'industry' very faithfully; there's no tax obligation and no requirement for financial accountability. I think the African politician considers the church an important element in preserving their power and sanity. Because the church sells an important message: the devil is responsible for poverty.

The church defers the government's responsibility to God. Each Sunday millions of our citizen's troop to church to ask God to do what they should be asking their government to do. So government can have taxpayer-funded vacations with mistresses in exotic places, transfer the nation's wealth to secret offshore accounts, live in the poshest neighborhoods, drive the biggest cars and disturb the very citizens who gave them their vote with annoying sirens because they are too "big" to stay in the very congested roads their inactions have created. And they still have a sound sleep at night. If we exerted a fraction of the energy we put into prayer in keeping our government on its toes, we wouldn't have to bother God over the little things.

Again, I'm told anyone who professes to be Christian and see something wrong with the constant display of absurdity by these 'prophets' on our TV screens is lost in the vicissitudes of wonderland. I'm no longer a 'Christian' because good Christians don't criticize the church, no matter its form.

Do I pay tithes? No, I don't. This one deserves its own article. In summary, 'tithe' is what I do when I provide an underprivileged kid a decent education.

Right now I'm in a bit of a conundrum because Atheists, especially the radical ones, would not extend a hand of welcome to me as well. Perhaps I have to start my own church then. The Right Reverend Holy Prophet Dr. Shimasaan Kelvin Anger Global Outreach Ministry, coming to a classroom near you.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Why I'm No Longer A 'christian.' by shilenji(m): 8:45pm On Apr 28, 2019
I hold onto the topic ,pesin wey go read this thing suppose collect degree o
Re: Why I'm No Longer A 'christian.' by amaniro: 9:01pm On Apr 28, 2019
Thank God I didn't read everything but Mr.OP What's your definition of a Christian?
Re: Why I'm No Longer A 'christian.' by Golden6(m): 9:57pm On Apr 28, 2019
Well, your post is a nice one.
As your message to Christians is more about being a reflection of love and kindness wherever you find yourself.
Not just doing eyeservice by acting 101% righteous in church but dismissing/ignoring/forgetting that they should be "Temples" (Reflect love and kindness) everywhere, and in every situation, not just the church.

1 Like

Re: Why I'm No Longer A 'christian.' by Uyi168: 10:02pm On Apr 28, 2019
Re: Why I'm No Longer A 'christian.' by Anger9(m): 10:07pm On Apr 28, 2019
@ Amaniro ....A Christain is who lives by and follows the teaching of Christ
Re: Why I'm No Longer A 'christian.' by Anger9(m): 10:13pm On Apr 28, 2019
Exactly... that's what it entails being a Christain. Not all these eye service we the see everywhere. th
Golden6:
Well, your post is a nice one.
As your message to Christians is more about being a reflection of love and kindness wherever you find yourself.
Not just doing eyeservice by acting 101% righteous in church but dismissing/ignoring/forgetting that they should be "Temples" (Reflect love and kindness) everywhere, and in every situation, not just the church.
Re: Why I'm No Longer A 'christian.' by amaniro: 10:21pm On Apr 28, 2019
Anger9:
So, Are the people you used as example "Christians?"
Re: Why I'm No Longer A 'christian.' by jesmond3945: 10:30pm On Apr 28, 2019
Op very nice write up. I leave in europe as well and it is very easy not to believe in God but I can also tell you many europeans who believe in God, you know why? They have seen it all, the money wealth, women but still unfulfilled. When you look at the world and the church today you tend to think that is that all about christianity? No it is not. We want to go to heaven when we die, thats the essence. If you believe there is no life after death no problem. The belief belongs to you. I believe there is life after death and Jesus would give mw that life after death. So when you are looking at christianity in the mirror of the world instead of the spiritual, the after life, it is easy to doubt God's existence. Of course you know many people paid the price with thier life for this faith, why would somebody do that if not convinced. Jesus whipped? He can never do that, he only chased them out with a whip.
Re: Why I'm No Longer A 'christian.' by shadeyinka(m): 10:41pm On Apr 28, 2019
Anger9:
These are words I thought I might never have to utter publicly, but feel it's about time, as people are already beginning to connect me with atheism.

then. The Right Reverend Holy Prophet Dr. Shimasaan Kelvin Anger Global Outreach Ministry, coming to a classroom near you.

A very nice excuse to justify spiritual death.

I admit, the church of Christ is sick! ..and that includes you and me. We are all sick at various levels and degrees. Some are in comatose, and some are just limping. Some have serious cancer and some have headaches.

The church is supposed to be the hospital. Unfortunately, some of the doctors and caregivers are also sick...some having ailments more grevious than what has befallen us. To cap it all 419 doctors are also in Christ's hospital compounding the problem of the sick.

But the command from the Master is "Do not neglect fellowship with one another as some do.."

Each Christian is expected to become a caregiver and doctor in the Hospital of God (the church). What then happens when those who can see refuse to tend the blind?
Re: Why I'm No Longer A 'christian.' by Anger9(m): 10:52pm On Apr 28, 2019
which people to be specific?
amaniro:
So, Are the people you used as example "Christians?"
Re: Why I'm No Longer A 'christian.' by amaniro: 6:33am On Apr 29, 2019
The people you used as example initially.
Anger9:
which people to be specific?
Re: Why I'm No Longer A 'christian.' by paxonel(m): 6:50am On Apr 29, 2019
Anger9:
wrong definition!
No wonder you are leaving christianity easily.

The truth is, there is no one that has ever followed the teachings of christ 100%

Yes, it is true that there are lot of christians who are not living right compared to most atheists that you know, but that isnt enough excuse to disconnect yourself from a spirit God.

God is spirit, he lives in you.
You can choose to be 100% morally upright and achieve success in everything you do, that has nothing to do with God in you.
Re: Why I'm No Longer A 'christian.' by MuttleyLaff: 7:05am On Apr 29, 2019
Anger9:
That is disinformation. Dont take yourself seriously, do you really believe the sarcastic people of Ancient Antioch, famous for its humor and especially the giving of jesting nicknames, like the phrase Christian, first coined by them, was an endearing compliment or a feeling of trying to be friendly, huh?

Ancient Antioch, then formerly an economically buoyant city in ancient Syria, but now a poor town in Turkey, strangely enough Antioch was called "the cradle of Christianity" yet derived its name from Antiochus, the name of either the father or son of one Alexander's generals, and it means “the one who is opposed to possessing something”, the name is derived from Greek αντι (anti) which means "against", compared to, "like" and/or οχη (oche) "support".

paxonel:
wrong definition!
That wrong definition is the disinformation

paxonel:
No wonder you are leaving christianity easily.
The truth is, there is no one that has ever followed the teachings of christ 100%
Yes, it is true that there are lot of christians who are not living right compared to most atheists that you know, but that isnt enough excuse to disconnect yourself from a spirit God.

God is spirit, he lives in you.
You can choose to be 100% morally upright and achieve success in everything you do, that has nothing to do with God in you.
I've always typed that, if only more christians, properly read their bibles, there'd be less christians and/or less Constantine christians

1 Like

Re: Why I'm No Longer A 'christian.' by Nobody: 8:35am On Apr 29, 2019
Anger9:

Right now I'm in a bit of a conundrum because Atheists, especially the radical ones, would not extend a hand of welcome to me as well. Perhaps I have to start my own church then. The Right Reverend Holy Prophet Dr. Shimasaan Kelvin Anger Global Outreach Ministry, coming to a classroom near you.
I certain that this is not the first time i'm seeing this message!

For I responded to the first one, so my question is what's the intention of using a new moniker to open a new thread with the exact same message?
Re: Why I'm No Longer A 'christian.' by sonmvayina(m): 11:46am On Apr 29, 2019
Anger9:

None of the messages attributed to jesus is original to him,... A lot of people have preached same.. I really don't see the importance of being a Christian...
Re: Why I'm No Longer A 'christian.' by Ihedinobi3: 3:17pm On Apr 29, 2019
Anger9:

I believe in people's right to self-determination, to choose which God to worship or even decide to doubt his existence. I have many wonderful friends who identify with atheism. I respect them. Heck, I've met Atheists who have a higher moral compass than some 'Christians' I know, Atheists who are more inclined to protect my interest and see me elevated.

I've been privileged to live in a European country with a predominantly atheistic population, who are more economically and technologically advanced, have far less viscous tendencies, show more compassion and respect to their fellow humans, than countries where almost everyone professes to be religious and holy. I've learned to believe that economic development is a higher enabler of morality than religion. It's extremely difficult for people to be poor and moral at the same time, no matter how religious.

I like atheists, I respect them, but I don't agree with them. I've made these clear through many of my writings. But now it seems I'm one myself, at least that's the public persona I've unwittingly created. I'm no longer a 'Christian,' by the standards of today's Christianity, merely based on my criticisms of organized Christianity in this country.

Do I have a problem with organized religion? Yes, I do! Spoiler alert: there's a man from Galilee who also vehemently opposed organized religion whose tenets were not established on Gods law. He's called Jesus the Messiah, and his approach was much more radical. It might surprise you to know that just the other day, he went to a 'church' to angrily whip some 'worshippers' out. Yes, he did that.

Given that over 70 million of our citizens identify as Christian, do you ever feel the essence of this identity in our socio-political endeavors? If after all these years, which translates into countless hours of prayer and worship, the impact on our development has been largely negligible (if not counter progressive), then, most likely, something is not working. Something is wrong! The logical thing to do is to question our approach at least. I have numerous questions that I, unfortunately, can't keep to myself, and that makes me an atheist.
Now don't get me wrong, I don't see anything wrong with Jesus's message of love, peace, and hope, I see a lot wrong with the church today.

Do I attend church? Yes, I do, but occasionally. Lately, I've elected myself to attend church once a month. Of course, I know that means I'm no longer a Christian. Good Christians go to church every Sunday, spend, sometimes, up to 5 hours worshipping God and 'fellowshipping' with people they pretend to like. People they have no interest in and no inclination to see become successful, people they would brush aside should they meet on a Monday, especially if they do not attend the same church.

I believe many Christians spend this much time in the church because it makes us feel good and holy. We've reduced Christianity to a set of rituals instead of a set of character and attitude! And because it's been reduced to a set of outward rituals, people perceived to be judiciously performing these rituals are considered good Christians. For instance, a politician who steals from the state and makes hefty donations to the church is given the best seat and the most majestic title. Forget about the fact that his corrupt practices are the reason others won't make it to heaven.

A person who prays in 5873 tongues is considered spiritual, even if they are a different species from Monday to Friday (if you want to know who a real Christian is, ask the cleaners and security guards at their offices). A person who attends every prayer meeting and partakes in every fasting is expected to make the first entry through the pearly gates, forget about the fact that he/she shows no love or compassion to their fellow human beings.

Outward rituals have only one purpose: to receive praise from man. We all have a natural proclivity to acting this way because it's socially desirable. This explains why a new species of Nigerians are born each Sunday morning and die on Monday mornings, only to be reincarnated on Sunday mornings, and this cycle of life continues till thy kingdom come.

But I'm afraid God turned this 'doctrine' upside down when He said he's more concerned about what's inside a person's heart than what they pretend to be on the outside. By attending church once a month, I consciously condition my mind into accepting that church is wherever I find myself. I know, I know, it's written somewhere in the Bible not to forsake the gathering together of the saints, but isn't it also written that "where two or three are gathered in my name, behold I'm there also"? The church is what happens when you meet the cleaner and security guard at your office entrance. When you attend to the desperate citizen needing assistance at the government ministry, you're employed when you a reasonable contract signing as a representative of the state when you give the job to the young lady based on her qualifications, not your selfish sexual desires...Of course, I'm not a Christian because I talk about stuff like these.

I believe Church is not what happens when you're sitting in an Airconditioned room and listening to a sermon you're most likely to forget before it's over. The church is you! Haven't we read that our our bodies are the temple of God? Of course, we have! But somehow the only message many of us got from that text is in its relation to sin. Hardly heard anyone say, "because my body is the temple of God (which by extension means my body is a church) I ought to exude love and goodness to others, wherever I am."

Also, (and here's perhaps the best representation of my atheism) I think many of the so-called 'men of God' are only inspired by economics and not a desire for the things of God. They are not "prophets" because they love God. They are 'prophets' because they love money. Their 'calling' is an economic necessity, an entrepreneurial avenue. Over 70 million-plus Christians is a big economy, and it's only natural that people would have the incentives to want to cash in.

And the good thing is, the government incentivizes this 'industry' very faithfully; there's no tax obligation and no requirement for financial accountability. I think the African politician considers the church an important element in preserving their power and sanity. Because the church sells an important message: the devil is responsible for poverty.

The church defers the government's responsibility to God. Each Sunday millions of our citizen's troop to church to ask God to do what they should be asking their government to do. So government can have taxpayer-funded vacations with mistresses in exotic places, transfer the nation's wealth to secret offshore accounts, live in the poshest neighborhoods, drive the biggest cars and disturb the very citizens who gave them their vote with annoying sirens because they are too "big" to stay in the very congested roads their inactions have created. And they still have a sound sleep at night. If we exerted a fraction of the energy we put into prayer in keeping our government on its toes, we wouldn't have to bother God over the little things.

Again, I'm told anyone who professes to be Christian and see something wrong with the constant display of absurdity by these 'prophets' on our TV screens is lost in the vicissitudes of wonderland. I'm no longer a 'Christian' because good Christians don't criticize the church, no matter its form.

Do I pay tithes? No, I don't. This one deserves its own article. In summary, 'tithe' is what I do when I provide an underprivileged kid a decent education.

Hello there.

Although I understand you quite clearly, I am and fully intend to continue to be a Christian. The difference, I suppose, is in how we each understand the word. I read from the Bible that Christian is a name associated with people who believe in Jesus Christ the God-Man Who died spiritually on the Cross of Calvary to save all human beings from the just punishment of their sins in the Lake of Fire. It is true that the appellate was meant as a mockery of the sanctified behavior of the believers of the Apostolic (or Ephesian) Era, so that it does have a strong link to observable behavior, but believers are defined by an attitude of heart rather than by visible characteristics. At least, this is what I have learned from the Bible (John 1:12; 3:16; Ephesians 2:8-9 among many other passages). Of course, the Lord Himself commands that those who have faith in Him must behave accordingly (2 Timothy 2:19), so those who profess Faith in Jesus Christ are responsible to behave in a way that honors Him and glorifies His Father and our God. But there will be many who will be saved by the skin of their teeth, so to speak, because they so flagrantly disobey this command of the Lord's. They are very poor witnesses to the Lord, but they are not for all that unbelievers. Their Lord undertakes to discipline them in this life and to judge them according to their works on the Day of His Return, but their behavior does not make them not Christians. They are Christians as long as they believe in Jesus Christ.

I'll add that if one persists in sinful behavior long enough, they can choose to stop believing in Jesus Christ, not least because of the terrible discipline that the Lord brings upon them for their sin. The Lord disciplines us whenever we sin (Hebrews 12:5-13). The longer we persist in sinful behavior, the longer and more grievous the discipline. At a point, this discipline can prove too much to bear for the sinning believer so that he turns to apostasy and rebels against the Lord He once loved. In this way, sin can lead to loss of faith. But sinning in and of itself is not the same as losing faith. The alternative to loss of faith is repentance from sin, but there are also believers who love their sin too much to let it go even as they also refuse to let go their faith. For this last, the Lord begins the discipline of the "sin unto death" (1 John 5:16-17). This discipline leads to an agonizing and embarrassing physical death, but this sinning believer is saved so that he does not share in the condemnation of unbelievers (1 Corinthians 5:5) like his counterpart that preferred to apostatize instead.

All this is to say that a Christian is merely anyone who believes in Jesus Christ regardless what their behavior is. So, if you still believe in the Lord Jesus, then you are a Christian. At least, you are according to the Bible.

None of that means that your complaint about the Church visible is false. Not at all. The general character and behavior of the Church visible today is appalling. That is hardly surprising seeing as it is the Laodicean Church, the Age of incredible lukewarmness when many who call on the Name of the Lord care very little about what He has to say. They are far more interested in the affairs of this life - in politics, money, and the fame and acclaim of this world - than they are in the Truth of Jesus Christ.

Consider, however, if they are really so different from you. You yourself appear to hold the same ideas that the church visible holds in general. Many pastors and churches today have made it a point of duty to try to fix social ills of all sorts, to start all kinds of economic and political programs to achieve the same vision that you yourself have. The last church I went to and left in 2015 is a frontliner in so-called nation-building in Nigeria today. While I was there I starved for spiritual nourishment although it had all these programs and schemes that satisfied what I thought the Christian Faith was about. Apart from the sore lack of a healthy spiritual diet, I noticed that it seemed to be in these do-gooder organizations that good behavior suffered the most.

Continued in next post...
Re: Why I'm No Longer A 'christian.' by Ihedinobi3: 3:19pm On Apr 29, 2019
Anger9:
Response continued...

Consider those more economically- and technologically-advanced countries you spoke of, for example. Are they not the same ones whose antagonism to Christ and the Bible is becoming legendary? Are they not the same ones turning basic, common-sense morality on its head across the world? It is a natural flow of the human nature that growing prosperity leads to arrogance and incredible rebellion against God. Granted that poverty does not necessarily make us more godly, it does help to make us more humble in our disposition to life. This is why the Lord Jesus taught that it is very hard for the rich and powerful to be saved (Matthew 19:24; Mark 10:25; cf. Deuteronomy 32:15; 1 Corinthians 1:26-29).

Life in this world is hard (Job 5:7; Ecclesiastes 1:8-15), so it is all too easy to get absorbed in trying to make it better either for ourselves or for others out of ignorance of God's Plan or out of an arrogance that dispenses with God altogether. On the one hand, this earth is cursed by God Himself to continue to get worse until the Lord Jesus Himself returns to make everything perfect again. On the other, Satan is the de facto ruler of this world today, and he has absolutely no interest in the well-being of human beings, although he is happy enough to distract us from the real concern of this life with all kinds of futile schemes to improve our lot in this world.

That means that we have absolutely no chance of succeeding at fixing this world before the Lord Jesus returns to wipe out Satan's rule over it and replace it with His. We can certainly try. History is littered with myriad such efforts from Cain's city to Nimrod's post-Flood civilization to Nebuchadnezzar's ambitious empire to Alexander to the British and now to the American. Always, each champion thought that they had done something significant in rolling back the misery of life. Each time, they were wrong. Today, we are seeing human achievement on a scale never seen before, but it is still human achievement still subject to "time and chance". It will all end up as dust in time, and, just like the wonders of the Roman civilization, forgotten so completely as to need to be rediscovered all over again. This is God's curse: the futility of all human effort without Him (see all of Ecclesiastes).

The true business of this life is to make a choice about God and His Truth: whether we will submit to Him and humbly listen to all He has to say and willingly obey Him, or whether instead we will rebel (or rather persist in rebellion) against Him and dispense with His Testimony. That is it. Those who have believed in Jesus Christ only begin the journey with a choice to stand with God no matter what. Beyond that choice, we are responsible to listen attentively and devotedly to everything God has to say, and do it, and help others who are willing to do the same. That is our job (John 6:29; Luke 9:35; John 17:3). Everything else is really filler or distraction.

None of this means that it is wrong to take advantage of the good things of this life. Wherever God is pleased to bless us with them, they are like an oasis in the desert, something to encourage us to keep pushing forward to the incredible blessings that God has prepared for all those who love Him, not goals in themselves (Ecclesiastes 2:24-25; 3:13, 22; 5:12, 18-19; 9:7-10; Matthew 19:29; Mark 10:29-30). So, if we desire a family, some comfort from life's troubles, work to occupy our energies, it is not wrong, and God is pleased to give us these things to the degree that we need them. But as Matthew 6:25-34 teaches, it is not to our own benefit to consume ourselves with worry and striving for these things, because they are not the point of our lives. It is analogous to fighting to own an oasis in the desert when there is a whole Paradise waiting just at the end of the dusty road. The oasis will not last but the Paradise is permanent.

This is why our concern as Christians is not to "make the world a better place" or strive for this or that social good. The Lord Jesus will destroy Satan's kingdom of darkness and restore all things when He returns. Will we be ready for Him then? Or will we be among the enemies that He will destroy at His Coming? Or will we suffer His rebuke in front of the whole Church and the elect angels when He judges us on that Great Day of days for not being zealous for Him because we were more concerned for the dust of this life which perishes?

In conclusion, I sympathize with you. I don't go to church anymore myself. I haven't gone since 2015. It is only with my parents, when I visit them, that I go, and I told them that I do it only for their sake, so that they don't get unnecessarily concerned and antagonistic about it (not that it works either). I am just as wary of other believers as you are. I know that very many who are true believers are not concerned about living for the Lord, so I don't pretend to trust them to be good people. But that is probably where our similarity ends. I believe in Jesus Christ, not in human beings. I follow the Bible, not popular culture. I encourage you to do the same. I have learned that it is impossible for a believer to amount to much spiritually without taking the trouble of learning the Bible under the tutelage of a gifted and prepared Bible teacher who loves the Truth of the Bible and respects it, and loves the children of God in spite of their many foibles. So I encourage you to find such a teacher and learn the Bible too so that you will find rest from your concerns about the world and other believers. I know that this is true. You can find a completely new way of looking at life that you will love fellow believers while not pretending that they are good people or getting unnecessarily worked up over or disappointed by their failures.

I strongly recommend https://ichthys.com if you are of a mind to learn from the teacher I learned from. There is another strong teaching ministry at www.bibleacademyonline.com if you prefer videos. Feel free to find some other teacher, as you please. But you would be well served to make sure that whoever it is respects the Word of God and is able to teach it to others through possession of the gift and thorough preparation for the task. If you find one, I encourage you to stay with that one alone. Jumping from teacher to teacher only leads to confusion and impedes spiritual growth. When you have become mature spiritually, then you will find it easier to deal with the differences between teaching ministries.

Finally, I understand your admiration for unbelievers who are nice to other people. They can be a relief to be around, but try not to forget that an unbeliever is a rebel against God. That means that their niceness has a wickedness underlying it: they are very 'not nice' to God. So you may want to be wary of them too. They do lose it sometimes and surprise you when you forget that all good things come from God alone, so that there is a question how good one can be so if one hates God Who is Goodness itself.

For what it is worth, I will say a prayer for you here.
Re: Why I'm No Longer A 'christian.' by HappyPagan: 3:21pm On Apr 29, 2019
jesmond3945:
Of course you know many people paid the price with thier life for this faith, why would somebody do that if not convinced. ..
Maybe they sincerely believed a lie.

1 Like

Re: Why I'm No Longer A 'christian.' by sonmvayina(m): 3:34pm On Apr 29, 2019
HappyPagan:

Or maybe the story of persecution was also invented....
Re: Why I'm No Longer A 'christian.' by jesmond3945: 4:05pm On Apr 29, 2019
HappyPagan:

when you say maybe, you have introduced probability which can only be defined in this context if you were born at that time.
Re: Why I'm No Longer A 'christian.' by paxonel(m): 4:38pm On Apr 29, 2019
MuttleyLaff:
That is disinformation. Dont take yourself seriously, do you really believe the sarcastic people of Ancient Antioch, famous for its humor and especially the giving of jesting nicknames, like the phrase Christian, first coined by them, was an endearing compliment or a feeling of trying to be friendly, huh?

Ancient Antioch, then formerly an economically buoyant city in ancient Syria, but now a poor town in Turkey, strangely enough Antioch was called "the cradle of Christianity" yet derived its name from Antiochus, the name of either the father or son of one Alexander's generals, and it means “the one who is opposed to possessing something”, the name is derived from Greek αντι (anti) which means "against", compared to, "like" and/or οχη (oche) "support".

I've always typed that, if only more christians, properly read their bibles, there'd be less christians and/or less Constatine christians
exactly bro
Re: Why I'm No Longer A 'christian.' by paxonel(m): 4:38pm On Apr 29, 2019
MuttleyLaff:

I've always typed that, if only more christians, properly read their bibles, there'd be less christians and/or less Constatine christians
exactly

(1) (Reply)

Is God Perfect? / Very Important Parable On Word of GOD & Salvation In The Book Of Luke / How Specific The Bible Was? (see Picture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.