Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,128 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:32 AM

Again, Police Raid Abuja Clubs, Arrest 70 Women - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Again, Police Raid Abuja Clubs, Arrest 70 Women (21514 Views)

Again, Police Bust Fake Drink Factory In Lagos, Arrest Four / Police Arrest 70 Persons, Uber Drivers Over Death Of Officer In Lagos / Police Arrest 70-Year-Old HIV-Positive Man Who Raped 5-Year-Old Girl In Benue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Again, Police Raid Abuja Clubs, Arrest 70 Women by Blue3k(m): 2:46am On Apr 29, 2019
About two weeks after police officers arrested 30 women at different night clubs in Abuja, another 70 women have been arrested.

The latest arrests were done on Saturday night and the victims were taken to and detained at a police station, a witness said.

Martin Obono, a lawyer and activist, said he witnessed when the women were brought to a police station in Utako, Abuja on Saturday night.

He said some of the women were accused of prostitution. He also suggested some had been sexually abused by the security officials.

Mr Obono shared his experience with PREMIUM TIMES after first posting them on Twitter.

“As I type, 70 girls were arrested and brought to Utako Police station last night. This is in addition to the ones who were arrested on Friday night. Their offence; clubbing and in some instance, prostitution. Some have been assaulted with injuries in their vaginas.

“One of the ladies arrested has a 2-month old baby. She wasn’t allowed to breastfeed her baby by CRO in charge on duty despite continuous plea amidst tears. It took the intervention of a female police officer who called the DPO to overrule the decision of the inspector at the time.

“The joint task force that arrested some of these girls have been allegedly molesting and assaulting them. Some even showed the bruises and bleeding in their vaginas,” Mr Obono wrote on his Twitter handle.

Although prostitution is illegal in the Nigerian capital, law enforcement officials have used it as an excuse to assault and harass women who go out at night in the city.

When the officials raid the night clubs, they hardly arrest any men, but arrest women they believe are ‘scantily dressed’ and accuse them of prostitution.

Despite repeated reports that these women are sometimes sexually abused by the security officials, no investigation has been done by the authorities. None of the culpable officials has also been brought to justice.

An Unclear Culture

Although night clubs are allowed in Abuja, many of them are constantly raided by the police and other agencies.

About two weeks ago, Premium Times reportedhow some officials of the Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA), raided a popular night club, Caramelo, and arrested 34 female nude dancers.

This has led many residents of the city to question what is legal or illegal in the Nigerian capital.

“A capital city like Abuja needs to define its rules if it wants to be conservative or liberal,” Mr Obono wrote.

Fate of victims Uncertain

When a PREMIUM TIMES reporter visited the Utako Police station on Sunday afternoon to gather more information on the arrest, she was denied access into the building.

The police officers on duty said nobody would be allowed access to the women except with a letter from the police headquarters.

This reporter then put a call through to the Abuja police spokesperson, Danjuma Tanimu.

Mr Danjuma said he was not aware of the development.

“I am just hearing this story now, but I will confirm and get back to you tomorrow,” he said.

PREMIUM TIMES learnt that many of the women were still at the police station on Sunday night.

As is often the case, many of them would either have to bribe their way to freedom or allow themselves to be sexually abused by the male police officers. Those who decline to do either could be charged to court on Monday.

Source: https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/327355-again-police-raid-abuja-clubs-arrest-70-women.html

1 Like

Re: Again, Police Raid Abuja Clubs, Arrest 70 Women by Blue3k(m): 3:26am On Apr 29, 2019
A prostitution sting isn't that hard especially in Nigeria where people are very explicit. Get on Tinder if you dont know what I mean. The police seem like they're just interested in bullying these women. They need to be caged if they're abusing these women.

Strip clubs arent illegal but, if anyone is breaking laws they should be arrested lawfully. Btw why aren't the guys hardly getting caught in these stings?

8 Likes

Re: Again, Police Raid Abuja Clubs, Arrest 70 Women by delishpot: 4:06am On Apr 29, 2019
Naija police with soft targets shaaa. I heard they rape some of the women in their custody too.

5 Likes

Re: Again, Police Raid Abuja Clubs, Arrest 70 Women by Nobody: 4:41am On Apr 29, 2019
sad Even though I'm a born again Christian, i think the government is right by raiding such clubs and hotels for women operating as strippers and prostitutes. Christianity gives too much freedom to women and it's the reason why prostitution in Nigeria is predominant amongst Christian women and southerners especially. When Muslims advocate for hijab and decent dressing for their women, we Christians thinks they're denying them freedom but it is has proven that Islamic tenets on women brings about good morals. How many muslim women are involved in prostitution and other seductive dressings? Majority of prostitutes outside the shores of the country are from Edo and other southern women. We Christians have a lot to emulate from our Muslim counterparts to build a sane society. Let's support the use of head covers and unseductive veils among Christian women. Sometimes i wish i was born in a Muslim home sad

27 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Again, Police Raid Abuja Clubs, Arrest 70 Women by lawaljuliuss(m): 5:28am On Apr 29, 2019
leave them alone...in all the countries our leaders run to, such clubs exists

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Again, Police Raid Abuja Clubs, Arrest 70 Women by SadiqBabaSani: 5:52am On Apr 29, 2019
Abusing them sexually kaaai, so bad

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Again, Police Raid Abuja Clubs, Arrest 70 Women by Amuocha: 6:03am On Apr 29, 2019
Sharia law is been implemented in Abuja

10 Likes

Re: Again, Police Raid Abuja Clubs, Arrest 70 Women by partnerbizz4: 6:17am On Apr 29, 2019
Blue3k:
A prostitution sting isn't that hard especially in Nigeria where people are very explicit. Get on Tinder if you dont know what I mean. The police seem like they're just interested in bullying these women. They need to be caged if they're abusing these women.

Strip clubs arent illegal but, if anyone is breaking laws they should be arrested lawfully. Btw why aren't the guys hardly getting caught in these stings?

Tinder?

Ppl still dey use am?

I thought it was only inmessega.
Re: Again, Police Raid Abuja Clubs, Arrest 70 Women by DADDY2or3FISHES: 6:36am On Apr 29, 2019
I don't understand any more.
Is clubbing a crime?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Again, Police Raid Abuja Clubs, Arrest 70 Women by Asquare84(m): 7:30am On Apr 29, 2019
So this lawyer is claiming that the lady open their vagina for him in the police station to see the bruises absolutely lies. You need to come to gimbiya street in the night and see the kind of prostitution going on there. I was shock to see my Neighbour children from benue state doing prostitution in Abuja
Re: Again, Police Raid Abuja Clubs, Arrest 70 Women by dokyOloye: 7:31am On Apr 29, 2019
Gear up for next level.
Full blown Sharia law loading.

6 Likes

Re: Again, Police Raid Abuja Clubs, Arrest 70 Women by helinues: 7:32am On Apr 29, 2019
Na wah oo

Has FG passed sharia law in Abuja?

6 Likes

Re: Again, Police Raid Abuja Clubs, Arrest 70 Women by dokyOloye: 7:33am On Apr 29, 2019
GoTV:
sad Even though I'm a born again Christian, i think the government is right by raiding such clubs and hotels for women operating as strippers and prostitutes. Christianity gives too much freedom to women and it's the reason why prostitution in Nigeria is predominant amongst Christian women and southerners especially. When Muslims advocate for hijab and decent dressing for their women, we Christians thinks they're denying them freedom but it is has proven that Islamic tenets on women brings about good morals. How many muslim women are involved in prostitution and other seductive dressings? Majority of prostitutes outside the shores of the country are from Edo and other southern women. We Christians have a lot to emulate from our Muslim counterparts to build a sane society. Let's support the use of head covers and unseductive veils among Christian women. Sometimes i wish i was born in a Muslim home sad
Islamabad is in Pakistan grin

44 Likes 1 Share

Re: Again, Police Raid Abuja Clubs, Arrest 70 Women by Turantula(m): 7:34am On Apr 29, 2019
SHARIA! SHARIA!! SHARIA!!!

5 Likes

Re: Again, Police Raid Abuja Clubs, Arrest 70 Women by Turantula(m): 7:35am On Apr 29, 2019
GoTV:
My head slamming muslim friend, why don't you migrate to Saudi Arabia?

69 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Again, Police Raid Abuja Clubs, Arrest 70 Women by dokyOloye: 7:42am On Apr 29, 2019
Asquare84:
So this lawyer is claiming that the lady open their vagina for him in the police station to see the bruises absolutely lies. You need to come to gimbiya street in the night and see the kind of prostitution going on there. I was shock to see my Neighbour children from benue state doing prostitution in Abuja
Prostitution is not the problem facing Nigerians and is not a crime according to Nigerian laws.Nigeria's problem is hunger,disease,illiteracy,insurgency etc.
Look at it from the point of view of reducing rape and income generation for patrons and the prostitutes respectively.
These things will always be there,Trying to deny that is self deceit.That is why the white man always looks like he's more intelligent than the black man cos they considered all these and not only legalised it but also gave prostitution recognition and incentives like free periodic STI tests.
Funny enuf,the people who are the forefront of this are the ppl who have 4 wives but still chase skirts more than single randy boys.

17 Likes

Re: Again, Police Raid Abuja Clubs, Arrest 70 Women by Naijaguy123: 7:52am On Apr 29, 2019
Am sure all the women arrested are ibo, na dem they do ashawo passs any tribe in Nigeria.
Re: Again, Police Raid Abuja Clubs, Arrest 70 Women by daywatcher: 7:53am On Apr 29, 2019
GoTV:

You are free to move to the core north

47 Likes

Re: Again, Police Raid Abuja Clubs, Arrest 70 Women by Andhominem: 7:59am On Apr 29, 2019
These are the women troubling our d1cks and tempting us to hell. You can never fccck them enough. You'll rather get addicted and ruined!
I don't pity them!!

2 Likes

Re: Again, Police Raid Abuja Clubs, Arrest 70 Women by GOFRONT(m): 8:11am On Apr 29, 2019
angry

Nigerian police and their functional preeeiikkkss
Re: Again, Police Raid Abuja Clubs, Arrest 70 Women by timilehing(m): 8:11am On Apr 29, 2019
#NextLevel achievement
Re: Again, Police Raid Abuja Clubs, Arrest 70 Women by Kendumazy(m): 8:11am On Apr 29, 2019
Hmm
Re: Again, Police Raid Abuja Clubs, Arrest 70 Women by kaen1317: 8:13am On Apr 29, 2019
My friend Kunle that one too like olosho. I hope th police didn't carry him as well

3 Likes

Re: Again, Police Raid Abuja Clubs, Arrest 70 Women by SOFTENGR: 8:13am On Apr 29, 2019
GoTV:
Trash

18 Likes

Re: Again, Police Raid Abuja Clubs, Arrest 70 Women by sukerefakere(m): 8:13am On Apr 29, 2019
Strips clubbing is legal in Nigeria but prostitution isn't

Wonders......
Re: Again, Police Raid Abuja Clubs, Arrest 70 Women by KelB(m): 8:14am On Apr 29, 2019
Wetin Olosho do police people sef
If una wan fvck for free, beg them not arresting them

2 Likes

Re: Again, Police Raid Abuja Clubs, Arrest 70 Women by YemiFresh: 8:14am On Apr 29, 2019
this Abuja sef has turned something else.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Mentally-Deranged Anglican Priest Sets ATM Of Imo Microfinance Bank, Aba On Fire / Army Deserter Uses Boko Haram Guns To Rob In Bayelsa / Soldier Assaults Electric Official While Carrying Out His Duty In Kaduna. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.