Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,286 members, 7,807,971 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:37 AM

Man Wrongly Imprisoned For 27 Years Seeks N20bn Compensation - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Man Wrongly Imprisoned For 27 Years Seeks N20bn Compensation (25339 Views)

Nnamdi Kanu Sues Ahmed Abubakar, NIA DG, Demands N20bn Compensation / Raid On Igboho’s Residence: FG To Appeal N20bn Court Judgment – Malami / President Buhari Delivers Dam Project Abandoned For 27 Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Man Wrongly Imprisoned For 27 Years Seeks N20bn Compensation by Xclusiveanalyst: 7:46am On Apr 29, 2019
He deserve to be compensated... Though, Igbo and money na like tea and bread
Re: Man Wrongly Imprisoned For 27 Years Seeks N20bn Compensation by luluosas(m): 7:51am On Apr 29, 2019
Thanks be to God that he was finally vindicated. Compensation or not, life goes on. It is well with my country Nigeria
Re: Man Wrongly Imprisoned For 27 Years Seeks N20bn Compensation by jkendy(m): 7:53am On Apr 29, 2019
Nelson Mandela quickly comes to mind. He came out to become a president but here we have a beggar after same 27yrs behind bars. What a shame !
Re: Man Wrongly Imprisoned For 27 Years Seeks N20bn Compensation by kikake: 7:57am On Apr 29, 2019
OddsIsland:

A 56-year-old man, Clinton Kanu, has said he will demand a N20bn compensation for spending 27 years behind bars for a crime he did not commit.

Kanu, who was sentenced to death in 1992 for murder, was freed by the Supreme Court on April 5, 2019.

The Okigwe, Imo State-born consultant criminologist explained that though he made efforts to absolve himself from a gang-up that led to his incarceration, nobody was ready to listen to him until he was jailed.

While in prison, Kanu lost his mother; coupled with the fact that he was not married, he said he fought loneliness.

Kanu, who recounted the incident that led to his travail, said, “About 27 years ago, some people were accused of stealing a generator and fluorescent tubes; they were my in-laws.

“After a court decided the case, we suddenly heard that somebody was killed in the compound where my sister married. I was arrested because those behind my ordeal thought I was trying to resolve a land dispute in favour of one person.

“I was taken to the Okigwe Police Station and later transferred to Owerri, where I was charged to court in April 1992. I was detained in the Owerri prison. I was at the tribunal for seven years because those behind my ordeal included armed robbery to the case. They believed I was a strong man and wanted to tie me down.

“They brought false witnesses to testify against me at the tribunal. I was later taken to a regular court where I was condemned to death. From Owerri, I was transferred to the Port Harcourt prison. At the Port Harcourt prison, I waited for many years for the hangman’s noose.

“I went to the Appeal Court to appeal the case, but my lawyer messed it up. Then I decided to proceed to the Supreme Court, where after 27 years in prison, I was vindicated. I was detained for nothing for 27 years; I was discharged and acquitted on April 5, 2019.”

Speaking to our correspondent on Saturday, Kanu argued that he would demand N20bn compensation from the Federal Government and his state (Imo State) for the damage done to his business.

He also stated that he developed ill health due to the prison’s dirty environment, adding that with the help of his lawyer, he hoped to be well compensated.

“It seems as if everything collapsed on my head; I don’t know where to start from. My head is jam-packed with thoughts and I need to ask God to direct me. I really need help.

“I am considering asking for compensation from the Federal Government and my state. I want this legal parochialism and injustice to stop.

“When you talk about the damage done to my business and to my health, due to the prison’s dirty environment, and a lot of other things that have gone wrong, if I put my losses in billions, I don’t think it is out of place.

“The money is just to make me solve my problems and get back to normal life. I will ask for N20bn compensation,” Kanu said.

He thanked his church and some relatives who had been feeding and accommodating him since he left prison last Tuesday.

Source: https://punchng.com/man-wrongly-imprisoned-for-27-years-seeks-n20bn-compensation/

Judges, it's better to let free a suspect when you have doubts in the evidence against the person, than put an innocent person to prison.
Re: Man Wrongly Imprisoned For 27 Years Seeks N20bn Compensation by ladyn4real(f): 8:16am On Apr 29, 2019
nony43:
Eehya, most of your mates that are alive today has not made that kind of money since you got served
Can anybody be 56yrs without be married and at least have his own children.. Oya answer me now
Re: Man Wrongly Imprisoned For 27 Years Seeks N20bn Compensation by MLK22555: 8:23am On Apr 29, 2019
So the man wanna start his own 20billion gang shit
Re: Man Wrongly Imprisoned For 27 Years Seeks N20bn Compensation by Beetobee(f): 10:18am On Apr 29, 2019
What does the FG have to do with this case? I cant see where it was involved. His state, the High Court and his lawyer whom he stated messed up the case in the court of Appeal are the ones he should seek compensation from. I don't see any role played by the FG.
Re: Man Wrongly Imprisoned For 27 Years Seeks N20bn Compensation by Jidebabs88(m): 10:56am On Apr 29, 2019
Mandela was in prison for 27years and became president afterwards. U were in prison for 27years.....I pray you become a billionaire afterwards. cool
Re: Man Wrongly Imprisoned For 27 Years Seeks N20bn Compensation by Lammyz(m): 11:37am On Apr 29, 2019
Kurumaru:
Akobaa adaaba, Olorun maaje Karii ooh.. Amen

Amin
Re: Man Wrongly Imprisoned For 27 Years Seeks N20bn Compensation by uchwar1: 11:42am On Apr 29, 2019
nony43:
Eehya, most of your mates that are alive today has not made that kind of money since you got served
have u slept in a police cell for a day? When you do, guess you will delete this post
Re: Man Wrongly Imprisoned For 27 Years Seeks N20bn Compensation by jedyjedy(m): 12:07pm On Apr 29, 2019
Unfortunately, he isn't going to get anything. Legally he has no cause o of action against the government.
Re: Man Wrongly Imprisoned For 27 Years Seeks N20bn Compensation by tsaragii(m): 12:14pm On Apr 29, 2019
Lassandi:
No amount of money can equate the injustice and incarceration of 27 years. The Police should gladly pay him the requested 20Billion Naira so that he can at least have quality of life for his remaining years on planet Earth
The payment should be made to him as a matter of urgency and not made to wait another 27 years before being compensated
Buhari should do the honourable thing and pay this man immediately. Then it will be imputed to him ( Buhari) as a compassionate listner

He should be compensated because he is an igbo man.
Igbos are really sick.
Better go to ur state governors and ur corrupt judges for compensation.
Re: Man Wrongly Imprisoned For 27 Years Seeks N20bn Compensation by brainhgeek(m): 5:00pm On Apr 29, 2019
Meanwhile, elsewhere.................

Re: Man Wrongly Imprisoned For 27 Years Seeks N20bn Compensation by pacino26(m): 5:07pm On May 01, 2019
onamch:

The Geee bank I guess, they like taking up troubles that are not theirs.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Details Of Buhari’s Meeting With Lawan, Gbajabiamila Emerge / #EndSARS Protesters Are Pseudo-Activists ― Frank Mba Lists 10 Points By IGP / Guber Election: Peter Obi And His Wife Cast Their Vote (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.