Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,409 members, 7,808,458 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:14 PM

My Sad Experience With Gtbank: Are Our ATM Cards Really Safe? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / My Sad Experience With Gtbank: Are Our ATM Cards Really Safe? (1117 Views)

Sad Experience From Hicash (cashbus) Loan App / Who Else Has Experienced This With GTBANK? / My Issue With Gtbank 737 And GLO Mobile. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Sad Experience With Gtbank: Are Our ATM Cards Really Safe? by olatpic(m): 11:12am On Apr 29, 2019
It is over a month now that this issue occurred and I have patiently waited for the bank to resolve it to no avail.

Precisely on 19th of March, 2019, I received a debit alert of #1500 on my Current account with Gtbank for an unauthorised PoS/Web transaction carried out by an unknown person in MTN office, ikoyi (that's what the narration says).

On seeing this, I immediately logged in to the Gtbank mobile app to confirm if the transaction was indeed real and I was shocked to see it.

Now, what shocked me the more is that I don't keep funds in my current account (I only transfer funds into it from my other savings accounts with the bank when I need to make a domain or server purchase etc for my business needs) and I had less than #11 in it as at the time this transaction took place, therefore setting my balance to -#1491.08 (negative).

I immediately sent an email to GTConnect explaining what had happened, then my account officer and another staff called me a day later, and the card was Hotlisted.

I was asked to fill a card dispute form to enable them investigate the issue and about 2 weeks later they responded saying my card was compromised to which I had earlier responded that the compromise wasn't from my own end but theirs.

But as expected they were on the defensive - pushing the blame to me.

Now, they have forced me to come public with this disgusting act and the question I am asking Gtbank is:

******Why would a transaction of #1500 go through on an account that has less than #11 as balance? The last I checked the card is a debit card and not a credit card.

In view of the foregoing, I am demanding an immediate reinstatement of the said account to its original state and issuance of a new Debit card at no cost to me (since the old one has been blocked and no longer usable).

I have been a customer of the Bank since 2007 and this is a bank I take pride in and always recommend to others but this issue is very disappointing.

PS: Last screenshot was their response after phone conversation.

Re: My Sad Experience With Gtbank: Are Our ATM Cards Really Safe? by Nobody: 11:17am On Apr 29, 2019
undecided

All Nigerian Banks are funny, even CBN.
Re: My Sad Experience With Gtbank: Are Our ATM Cards Really Safe? by Nobody: 11:20am On Apr 29, 2019
GT bank can't be trusted lately
Re: My Sad Experience With Gtbank: Are Our ATM Cards Really Safe? by umarshehu58(m): 11:25am On Apr 29, 2019
Na wao.
Re: My Sad Experience With Gtbank: Are Our ATM Cards Really Safe? by olatpic(m): 11:31am On Apr 29, 2019
I'm telling you! Most Nigerian banks are fraud. I never thought GTBANK could be caught doing this.

What this shows is that if the person behind this criminal act had decided to carry out transaction(s) in hundred thousands or millions of naira on my account with less than N11, the transaction would have gone through and I would now be indebted to the bank to the said amount.

OCEANMORGAN:
undecided

All Nigerian Banks are funny, even CBN.
Re: My Sad Experience With Gtbank: Are Our ATM Cards Really Safe? by OkunrinOloro: 11:36am On Apr 29, 2019
You can brief a lawyer to take it up with them. There are actually cases I'm aware of where Debit Cards were cloned and the owners of the card successfully sued the bank for damages.

olatpic:

It is over a month now that this issue occurred and I have patiently waited for the bank to resolve it to no avail.

Precisely on 19th of March, 2019, I received a debit alert of #1500 on my Current account with Gtbank for an unauthorised PoS/Web transaction carried out by an unknown person in MTN office, ikoyi (that's what the narration says).

On seeing this, I immediately logged in to the Gtbank mobile app to confirm if the transaction was indeed real and I was shocked to see it.

Now, what shocked me the more is that I don't keep funds in my current account (I only transfer funds into it from my other savings accounts with the bank when I need to make a domain or server purchase etc for my business needs) and I had less than #11 in it as at the time this transaction took place, therefore setting my balance to -#1491.08 (negative).

I immediately sent an email to GTConnect explaining what had happened, then my account officer and another staff called me a day later, and the card was Hotlisted.

I was asked to fill a card dispute form to enable them investigate the issue and about 2 weeks later they responded saying my card was compromised to which I had earlier responded that the compromise wasn't from my own end but theirs.

But as expected they were on the defensive - pushing the blame to me.

Now, they have forced me to come public with this disgusting act and the question I am asking Gtbank is:

******Why would a transaction of #1500 go through on an account that has less than #11 as balance? The last I checked the card is a debit card and not a credit card.

In view of the foregoing, I am demanding an immediate reinstatement of the said account to its original state and issuance of a new Debit card at no cost to me (since the old one has been blocked and no longer usable).

I have been a customer of the Bank since 2007 and this is a bank I take pride in and always recommend to others but this issue is very disappointing.

PS:

Re: My Sad Experience With Gtbank: Are Our ATM Cards Really Safe? by olatpic(m): 12:08pm On Apr 29, 2019
Exactly what someone told me days ago. He was even advising I should not keep my money in Gtbank for now.

candlewax:
GT bank can't be trusted lately
Re: My Sad Experience With Gtbank: Are Our ATM Cards Really Safe? by Nobody: 12:08pm On Apr 29, 2019
Oga olatpic

This ur story isn't straight....u said they blamed u for a compromise of ur card and were being defensive...

Form what u uploaded as evidence, they ddnt blame u for anything from their response and they said it's not a fraudulent transaction....it was said u initiated a transaction of that amount previously which later dropped into ur account....cos the debit has already hit ur a count ... ur 11naira balance was just an available balance, not the actual balance.
.and this happens alot..infact ive experienced this countless of times..... That's probably the only condition where by ur account could have been drawn below zero.. Unless u an overdraft status..which u dont....
..u never even tried to tell us if u there's a possibility u did a transaction of 1500 on 18th of February....like they claimed...
Someone gave u an advice up there to get a lawyer ...since u think the bank stole 1500 from u....please do so....after all 1500 is not small money....
Re: My Sad Experience With Gtbank: Are Our ATM Cards Really Safe? by olatpic(m): 12:29pm On Apr 29, 2019
To answer your question:

1. I never did any transaction on the 18th of February (at least I know that and my account statement can prove that).

2. I don't keep funds in this particular account (current account), it is used strictly for Pos/Web transactions. Whenever I need to make payments, I transfer funds from my savings account into it and use it up immediately or at most with some few Naira balances due to exchange rate fluctuation (so I don't keep funds in it).

3. The difference in the actual and available balances most times is due to commissions, and exchange rate differences after payment has been cleared.

1StopRudeness:
Oga olatpic

This ur story isn't straight....u said they blamed u for a compromise of ur card and were being defensive...

Form what u uploaded as evidence, they ddnt blame u for anything from their response and they said it's not a fraudulent transaction....it was said u initiated a transaction of that amount previously which later dropped into ur account....cos the debit has already hit ur a count ... ur 11naira balance was just an available balance, not the actual balance.
.and this happens alot..infact ive experienced this countless of times..... That's probably the only condition where by ur account could have been drawn below zero.. Unless u an overdraft status..which u dont....
..u never even tried to tell us if u there's a possibility u did a transaction of 1500 on 18th of February....like they claimed...
Someone gave u an advice up there to get a lawyer ...since u think the bank stole 1500 from u....please do so....after all 1500 is not small money....
Re: My Sad Experience With Gtbank: Are Our ATM Cards Really Safe? by wolero7(m): 12:29pm On Apr 29, 2019
I don't see any reason why a bank will charge your card below what you have on your account. I don't think Nigerian bank will make that mistake. GTBANK is shitty these days. This would have made sense if his card was a credit card. Debit card faa?

This story may look somehow but I think GTBANK workers should come and clarify ooo. One may think this can't happen to me, but we never know who would be next.

Cc lalasticlala, dragnet. I think this is worthy of front page. Before them finish us oooo.
Re: My Sad Experience With Gtbank: Are Our ATM Cards Really Safe? by olatpic(m): 2:10pm On Apr 29, 2019
I never believed this could happen to anyone.

wolero7:
I don't see any reason why a bank will charge your card below what you have on your account. I don't think Nigerian bank will make that mistake. GTBANK is shitty these days. This would have made sense if his card was a credit card. Debit card faa?

This story may look somehow but I think GTBANK workers should come and clarify ooo. One may think this can't happen to me, but we never know who would be next.

Cc lalasticlala, dragnet. I think this is worthy of front page. Before them finish us oooo.

(1) (Reply)

Celebrities React, As Hilarious Comments Trail Basket Mouth's "Mona Lisa" looks / How To Flash ZTE MF927U / Nigerian Army Caught Wife Cheating

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.