Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,952 members, 7,806,753 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:40 PM

Dreadlocks = Rastafarism? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Dreadlocks = Rastafarism? (1888 Views)

Dreadlocks, Good Or Bad? / ****a Bit Of Knowledge About Dreadlocks**** / Dreadlocks: What's The Whole 9 Yards About It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dreadlocks = Rastafarism? by Akemivo(f): 4:21pm On Sep 19, 2010
Why is there stigmatisation with dread-locs among Nigerians.
Why do people immediately classify a common hairstyle with Rastafarism? this mentality is extremely annoying  angry.
Re: Dreadlocks = Rastafarism? by xreal: 6:09pm On Sep 19, 2010
STIGMAtization?
That's not true, decades ago maybe, but not now when dread-locks either natural or artificial are appreciated in naija.
Maybe the one you talk about is an unkempt type.

Mind you, a Rastafarian is a member of a Jamaican group and strongly believe in Africa -nothing evil as it appears in ur post.
Re: Dreadlocks = Rastafarism? by tpiah: 9:56pm On Sep 19, 2010
Dreadlocks are associated most closely with the Rastafari movement, but people from many groups in history before them have worn dreadlocks, including the Hindu Shiva worshippers of India and the Sufis Rafaees , the Maasai of East Africa, and the Sufis malangs and fakirs of Pakistan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreadlocks
Re: Dreadlocks = Rastafarism? by PhysicsQED(m): 4:16pm On Sep 20, 2010
The stigmatization comes from dreadlocks not being perceived as "professional" or "clean cut," which they aren't. So get a haircut Akemivo if you don't want society to think you're some kind of hemp smoking wild man from the bush. I don't have a problem with them personally though.

*edit* Just noticed you're a female. Actually there is far less of a stigma for women compared to men, from my experience, so you'll probably be alright.
Re: Dreadlocks = Rastafarism? by ifyalways(f): 9:46am On Sep 21, 2010
@Poster,Dreadlocks is NOT same as Rastafarism.
There are the neat and lovely dreads and there are the dirty looking Dada.
Meanwhile,a belated New Year to all True Rastas in da house  kiss
Re: Dreadlocks = Rastafarism? by ruffstylie(m): 5:25am On Sep 23, 2010
People associate dreadlocks with rastafari all the time because they think the two go hand and hand.

First of all, dreadlocks are a part of the rastafari culture but you can be a rastafari and not have dreads. Rastafari is a religious belief but more importantly, a way of life. It is not a hairstyle. In fact, it pisses REAL rastas off when people associate anyone with dreads as being rasta. Dreadlocks is just a hairstyle, no more, no less.

There is a stigma in the Caribbean too against dreads and rastas but younger generation is getting wiser.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dreadlocks = Rastafarism? by janedoe(f): 7:03pm On Sep 26, 2010
@ Topic,I think it depends on where you live or the people in question,I wear locs and nobody has ever said anything negative about them,atleast not to my face(as anything not said to may face doesn't matter to me). [s]What I get is alot of complements about the locs maybe for fear that the 'scary dreadlocked girl' might attack them[/s], oops and I'm catholic by the way
Re: Dreadlocks = Rastafarism? by ezeagu(m): 8:56pm On Sep 26, 2010
Any boy/man in Nigeria with long hair will be generally criticised (usually by other men). Nigerians can't keep negative comments about long haired males to themselves, I guess to them long hair makes you wild, even if most of their male ancestors wore long hair to accentuate their youthful masculinity.

Maybe some of them are even jealous. grin
Re: Dreadlocks = Rastafarism? by tpiah: 11:24pm On Sep 26, 2010
most of their male ancestors wore long hair to accentuate their youthful masculinity

i dont think so.
Re: Dreadlocks = Rastafarism? by ezeagu(m): 12:40am On Sep 27, 2010
tpiah:

i dont think so.

You don't 'think' so, but the truth is that they did. Even the followers of Sango braid their hair till today.
Re: Dreadlocks = Rastafarism? by tpiah: 5:26am On Sep 27, 2010
some [or a few], not most.
Re: Dreadlocks = Rastafarism? by ezeagu(m): 11:25am On Sep 28, 2010
tpiah:

some [or a few], not most.

Most, most, most.
Re: Dreadlocks = Rastafarism? by tpiah: 7:20pm On Sep 28, 2010
^^maybe in your experience.
Re: Dreadlocks = Rastafarism? by ezeagu(m): 9:17pm On Sep 28, 2010
tpiah:

^^maybe in your experience.

What experience, there's no experience. Most young men of 1900 and back wore their hair long.

(1) (Reply)

What Nigerian Language Would You Recommend Learning? / Modern Day Slavery, See How Old Men Prostrate To Emir Sanusi - PICS / Trends Among Youths In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.