Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,331 members, 7,808,118 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:26 AM

Which Is Wiser? Save For Your First Car Or Get A Loan. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Which Is Wiser? Save For Your First Car Or Get A Loan. (10082 Views)

Scan Car Or Vehicle Plate Number For Registration Confirmation On Confirmme App / Advice needed on 1.5m budget for a first car owner / When Did You Buy Your First Car And How Much Was It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Is Wiser? Save For Your First Car Or Get A Loan. by midastouch040(f): 2:29pm On May 02, 2019
I would like opinions and experiences on this.
Did you save for your first car? Was it feasible. Did you spend the money before you could buy the car? If you succeeded, what did you gain?

Did you take a loan? Was it easy paying back? What did you gain?
Thanks.
Re: Which Is Wiser? Save For Your First Car Or Get A Loan. by dokyOloye: 3:48pm On May 02, 2019
If your job is the type that a car will enhance, like a job that involves multiple points delivery of large merchandise,you can get a loan and get a car,but a simple,functional and cheap car oo.
If you are a 9-5,then save up and buy.

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Which Is Wiser? Save For Your First Car Or Get A Loan. by alwaysonnet: 3:53pm On May 02, 2019
What will you do if the car have an accident? You will paying debt

2 Likes

Re: Which Is Wiser? Save For Your First Car Or Get A Loan. by midastouch040(f): 4:48pm On May 02, 2019
Thanks for your contributions dokyOloye and alwaysonnet.
More opinions and even opposing views are welcome.
Re: Which Is Wiser? Save For Your First Car Or Get A Loan. by seanfer(m): 5:04pm On May 02, 2019
Get a dedicated bank account for the purpose, make sure you don't apply for ATM, Also be putting any amount you want in the account .... Once you're dedicated you will buy the car before you know it... This worked for me...

42 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Which Is Wiser? Save For Your First Car Or Get A Loan. by Aaaaarghmed(m): 6:54pm On May 02, 2019
seanfer:
Get a dedicated bank account for the purpose, make sure you don't apply for ATM, Also be putting any amount you want in the account .... Once you're dedicated you will buy the car before you know it... This worked for me...
it worked for me too and I was lucky to buy a naija used ride with no issues.

21 Likes

Re: Which Is Wiser? Save For Your First Car Or Get A Loan. by seanfer(m): 8:34pm On May 02, 2019
Aaaaarghmed:
it worked for me too and I was lucky to buy a naija used ride with no issues.

I can’t even believe that almost 50% of the money was tips from work, My colleagues use theirs to buy beer. grin

15 Likes

Re: Which Is Wiser? Save For Your First Car Or Get A Loan. by Nobody: 10:25pm On May 02, 2019
alwaysonnet:
What will you do if the car have an accident? You will paying debt

The vehicle can be insured against that.

What I thought you'll ask is if he loses the job or business with which he services the loan.

4 Likes

Re: Which Is Wiser? Save For Your First Car Or Get A Loan. by Olumyyde(m): 2:41pm On May 03, 2019
I must admit u got good advisers here. My little contribution is, don't ever take a loan for a ride. It is better if u can save up for it. I'm a government worker, I saved up n got a car I can comfortably maintain, thank GOD for that. It's not easy taking care of a car n paying back the loan for d car plus interest. Save up n do what ur capacity affords. Happy weekend.

44 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Which Is Wiser? Save For Your First Car Or Get A Loan. by seanfer(m): 4:32pm On May 03, 2019
Olumyyde:
I must admit u got good advisers here. My little contribution is, don't ever take a loan for a ride. It is better if u can save up for it. I'm a government worker, I saved up n got a car I can comfortably maintain, thank GOD for that. It's not easy taking care of a car n paying back the loan for d car plus interest. Save up n do what ur capacity affords. Happy weekend.

I can remember how you were disturbing Us 2017-2018..... Glad you got a car that's not giving you problems.. How's Family?

6 Likes

Re: Which Is Wiser? Save For Your First Car Or Get A Loan. by Olumyyde(m): 11:12pm On May 03, 2019
seanfer:

I can remember how you were disturbing Us 2017-2018..... Glad you got a car that's not giving you problems.. How's Family?
Hehehehe, yes o, I carry una eye see something. Family is fine bro, Tnx. Hope u're enjoying your weekend?

2 Likes

Re: Which Is Wiser? Save For Your First Car Or Get A Loan. by nurey(m): 9:35am On May 04, 2019
want to buy a Kia Rio, take a loan and buy even if the car burns to ashes without insurance you can easily pay back the loan in a couple of years.

Want to buy a G63 worth 100s of millions, save up to buy cause the cost of fixing broken down parts is expensive not to talk of paying back the debt due to financial loss, joblossness or health complications.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Which Is Wiser? Save For Your First Car Or Get A Loan. by ogawisdom(m): 3:31pm On May 04, 2019
Don't take a loan to buy a liability or for consumption.

Take loan to buy assets.

Asset is anything that puts money in your pocket

Liability is anything that takes money from your pocket

36 Likes

Re: Which Is Wiser? Save For Your First Car Or Get A Loan. by ojeysky(m): 4:44pm On May 04, 2019
There is noting wrong with getting a loan to buy a car, the question is whether you have a need for the car or just for luxury. The car has to be utility vehicle for it to be worth getting a loan for, especially if it's your first car and if you still live in a rental apartment

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Is Wiser? Save For Your First Car Or Get A Loan. by Olumyyde(m): 6:48pm On May 04, 2019
ojeysky:
There is noting wrong with getting a loan to buy a car, the question is whether you have a need for the car or just for luxury. The car has to be utility vehicle for it to be worth getting a loan for, especially if it's your first car and if you still live in a rental apartment
Shed more light brother, especially the living in a rented apartment part. tnx man.

1 Like

Re: Which Is Wiser? Save For Your First Car Or Get A Loan. by ojeysky(m): 7:40pm On May 05, 2019
Olumyyde:

Shed more light brother, especially the living in a rented apartment part. tnx man.

Why would you want to buy a car on a loan when the house you are living is already on a loan, it makes sense to only do that if the car is for business reasons, there sure must be other reasons to buy a car in the context other than just buying for leisure/comfort.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Is Wiser? Save For Your First Car Or Get A Loan. by Olumyyde(m): 9:04pm On May 05, 2019
ojeysky:

Why would you want to buy a car on a loan when the house you are living is already on a loan, it makes sense to only do that if the car is for business reasons, there sure must be other reasons to buy a car in the contest other than just buying for leisure/comfort.
Now I understand intent, tnx.
Re: Which Is Wiser? Save For Your First Car Or Get A Loan. by Amuocha: 6:39am On May 06, 2019
Use public transport

1 Like

Re: Which Is Wiser? Save For Your First Car Or Get A Loan. by shadeyinka(m): 6:39am On May 06, 2019
Both are ok!
If you take a loan, you have saved on inflation knowing that it takes an average of 2-3 years to pay off a car or land loan.

If your income is high and you can save for a car within one year, then save for it. You will save on interest to your loan and purchase exactly what you can afford without loan repayment liabilities.

A mixture of the two is the best. Save half the cost price and take a loan for the balance.

A car is a liability (if it's not for business purposes ) that gives convenience don't do above yourself. Think of functionality rather than class

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Which Is Wiser? Save For Your First Car Or Get A Loan. by GazzuzzAutos(m): 6:40am On May 06, 2019
midastouch040:
I would like opinions and experiences on this.
Did you save for your first car? Was it feasible. Did you spend the money before you could buy the car? If you succeeded, what did you gain?

Did you take a loan? Was it easy paying back? What did you gain?
Thanks.

I inherited my first car, it was a mazda 626 1984 model. But there after, I have had to work and save up for the cars I love.

E.g this car. https://www.nairaland.com/5171120/reg-2010-toyota-corrola-carefully

And this https://www.nairaland.com/5171214/2010-range-rover-lr4-hse#78136213

And this
https://www.nairaland.com/5170340/toyota-highlander-2008-sports-edition

And finally this

https://www.nairaland.com/5142651/2009-toyota-highlander-front-wheel

hard work pays.

1 Share

Re: Which Is Wiser? Save For Your First Car Or Get A Loan. by dgbanj: 6:43am On May 06, 2019
5 bedroom duplex for sale at Crown estate lagos.
Re: Which Is Wiser? Save For Your First Car Or Get A Loan. by ntyce(m): 6:46am On May 06, 2019
Ok

1 Like

Re: Which Is Wiser? Save For Your First Car Or Get A Loan. by Burgerlomo: 6:49am On May 06, 2019
Save, save and then buy is equal to peace of mind from creditors cool

1 Like

Re: Which Is Wiser? Save For Your First Car Or Get A Loan. by agabaI23(m): 6:50am On May 06, 2019
midastouch040:
Thanks for your contributions dokyOloye and alwaysonnet.
More opinions and even opposing views are welcome.
Save and invest and buy car from your profit. Car is a liability.

1 Like

Re: Which Is Wiser? Save For Your First Car Or Get A Loan. by Deltatoto: 6:51am On May 06, 2019
dgbanj:
5 bedroom duplex for sale at Crown estate lagos.
how much

1 Like

Re: Which Is Wiser? Save For Your First Car Or Get A Loan. by Ijawdefender: 6:52am On May 06, 2019
Save for it. For the sake of peace of mind
Re: Which Is Wiser? Save For Your First Car Or Get A Loan. by dgbanj: 6:53am On May 06, 2019
Deltatoto:
how much
60m negotiable
Re: Which Is Wiser? Save For Your First Car Or Get A Loan. by TheBeat: 6:53am On May 06, 2019
Good advice up there but you should consider some of the questions I will ask.
1. What country are you in?
2. How much is your income and how long will it take to save?
3. Who is your employer....job security?
4. What type of car are you looking at.....used or brand new?
5. Is the car for business or pleasure?
6. How soon do you need the car?

1 Like

Re: Which Is Wiser? Save For Your First Car Or Get A Loan. by Ikpongiton: 6:56am On May 06, 2019
seanfer:

I can’t even believe that almost 50% of the money was tips from work, My colleagues use theirs to buy beer. grin
you receive tips for doing your job,abii ? that is corruption my friend.stop it now ,for a better nigeria .

2 Likes

Re: Which Is Wiser? Save For Your First Car Or Get A Loan. by iamezekwesiri: 6:57am On May 06, 2019
To whom it may concern,

Dear Prospective Car owner, we the association of goodwill ppl wish to advise you to save up and get your first ride, don't even take a loan! You don't know that "Heavenly feelings of using your money to get your own ride, it's just outta this world". Even as a banker , I am totally against loan and haven't taken any for whatsoever reason. The pressure that comes with it, no be here!

Na little drops of water,, dem mk big ocean as dem talk am.

Pls, when getting "No do pass yourself oh, go for the one wey fit your level"...

Tainku

10 Likes

Re: Which Is Wiser? Save For Your First Car Or Get A Loan. by technuel: 6:57am On May 06, 2019
You better save or borrow loan to buy Land who car help
Just imagine buying a Plot of Land in Ibeju-Lekki now at 540,000 and selling it for over 100 million in ten years time. If you think I am exagerating, make enquiry about the value of a plot of Land in Ikoyi

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Mitsusbishi GDI Refused To Supply Feul To The Injectors / Update: issue with Autoelectng resolved / Transmission Oil And Engine Oil

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.